Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The “quietness” of the Sheriff at lunch that day really makes me wonder if he was struggling with what he wanted to and/or felt he needed to do - whether to protect/avenge someone close to him or the community in general - and his (likely) belief in the legal system and right and wrong.
I wish someone at lunch would talk. Lunch could be 12-1 and there was court/sheriff business after or it could have been a late lunch where the sheriff followed the judge back to his chambers. We just don't know

I wish someone at lunch would talk. Lunch could be 12-1 and there was court/sheriff business after or it could have been a late lunch where the sheriff followed the judge back to his chambers. We just don't know

Yes what time was lunch and where was lunch, what time was the argument being said it was in the courthouse, and what time did stines want to talk to mullins in private in judges chambers?

That deputy, Ben Fields, was fired and later convicted of several state charges, spending less than a year in jail before being released this summer on probation. Stines was not accused of trading sex for favors, and Mullins was never charged.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs in that case told The Courier Journal they were surprised by the shooting and are not sure whether it played a role in Thursday’s chaos.

Mullins was never charged?

That deputy, Ben Fields, was fired and later convicted of several state charges, spending less than a year in jail before being released this summer on probation. Stines was not accused of trading sex for favors, and Mullins was never charged.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs in that case told The Courier Journal they were surprised by the shooting and are not sure whether it played a role in Thursday’s chaos.

Mullins was never charged?
From all I've read, there was never a reason to charge him in that case.
Likewise, from all I've read, I don't think that case has anything to do with why Stines shot Mullins.

jmo

Motive?

@Kudzuu Thanks for your post. :)
Yes, me too, thinking about possible motives.
What specifically prompted the sheriff's actions?

Were his suspicions slowly warming, over time (hours, days, months?) simmering, finally coming to a boil, and then some info (cell phone, a text or call, maybe that afternoon) finally blowing the lid off? Could be, but many other possibilities.
IMO reading something vs seeing it are very different especially if it concerns a loved one. I know murder is wrong as does the sheriff. But something pushed him over the edge. Maybe this was proof?

I could be totally wrong.

To add to that I'm from a small rural Kentucky town and there are not a lot of secrets and secrets have a way of coming out eventually.

IMO there are no winners in this case. Some have compared it to the Murdaugh case but I don't think it has any similarities. This isn't about money.

In fact, if I were a close relative to either the judge or sheriff I'm not so sure I'd want to endure a trial. One man is dead and another's life is over. Families have been traumatized and this is a national scandal. I'd want to go home and grieve. I wouldn't want a national spotlight on my little town and its troubles. As I like to say my hometown is a nice place to be from.

All my opinions based on what I know about life in Kentucky.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>
I do know that by law, a coroner is required to do an autopsy even if it was oblivious that homicide was the cause of death where a person was found deceased.

The autopsy report and coroner's testimony is part of the evidence that the prosecutor will present in court of law during a murder trial.

I've never heard of an autopsy not being performed on a homicide victim.

A criminal defense attorney would have a field day in the courtroom if their client was being tried for murder and an autopsy was never performed in the first place.
Actually, my ex's cousin was shot to death over a card game argument. There was no autopsy. No trial. This was in a small town outside of Lexington. Why? There really wasn't a purpose to continue the fight. The families were poor folks and they were drunk. MOO. It is a different mentality. A different code of conduct.
Slightly off topic but just trying to shed some light.

Though I think you have a very good point about how interwoven rural eastern Kentucky counties are, my bet is that they are going to de facto need to keep the trial in Letcher County- unless the defense agrees to the move.

Moving the trial with out defense consent would seem to present very strong grounds for a successful appeal based on variations of:

- They knew they could not convict me locally amongst a jury of my peers, so they moved me to a place where they could....

- Oh, had trouble seating a jury? Well, that showed how strong my defense was! They should have tried harder. After all, they have all the resources of the State.
You have a very good point here. I agree with you that they will try to seat a jury and have the trial in Letcher County.

I do know that Kentucky requires a criminal case to be tried in the county where the crime occurred.

And since the murder occurred in Letcher County, they will try to have the trial in Letcher County.

But if a jury cannot be seated for a trial in Letcher County, then there would be a change of venue motion to have the trial in another county.

And due to the circumstances of this pending criminal trial, a special prosecutor and a special judge from a different county will have to be appointed.

Actually, my ex's cousin was shot to death over a card game argument. There was no autopsy. No trial. This was in a small town outside of Lexington. Why? There really wasn't a purpose to continue the fight. The families were poor folks and they were drunk. MOO. It is a different mentality. A different code of conduct.
Slightly off topic but just trying to shed some light.
I was thinking that autopsy was required in suspicious/isolated from witness situations, but not in an occurrence like this. He came, they went inside, shots fired, he came out. Judge lying inside dead.
Nothing curious about it really as to circumstances of death.

What would drive someone so crazy, especially a sheriff, who are usually stable people, to do an impulsive act like shooting a judge? Was it impulsive?

It is interesting to try to understand the reason behind the behavior. Unless we want to delve into possession. Which, more and more, I am beginning to wonder if people are actually being taken over by some entity, because so many crimes lately are inexplicable...
IMHO it's more likely the sheriff was not a stable person.

I was thinking that autopsy was required in suspicious/isolated from witness situations, but not in an occurrence like this. He came, they went inside, shots fired, he came out. Judge lying inside dead.
Nothing curious about it really as to circumstances of death.
Autopsies are performed in all cases of criminal violence. Where was he shot? What damage did the bullets do? How many wounds would have been fatal? What position was the victim in when he was shot? These are all things that come up at trial, and could go to the shooter's state of mind/intentions, etc.

Seems an autopsy would also be necessary for reasons to counter any claims that the accused / defendant might make about the shooting? And in order to prosecute a just, successful, and convincing conviction.

For example (and it isn’t clear to me yet exactly what might have been captured on the apparent video) - the defendant might claim the judge first lunged, provoked, and began to attack him? Then factors such as was he shot from the front, side, rear, other, etc. And what position was the judge in when he was shot? IIUC there are eight (8) shots. Another element will be where those eight shots are striking the judge? And basing that on all shots fired were a strike. Another piece of information needed might be which of the shot(s) was fatal? Perhaps more than one? IANAL nor a medical examiner. MOO

IMHO it's more likely the sheriff was not a stable person.
Interestingly enough, as of now, everyone commenting in MSM articles say nothing but good things about both men.
If he was unstable as you suggest, by now, all sorts of folks would be talking about it, as they usually do.
But so far I've not seen anyone suggest that.

Autopsies are performed in all cases of criminal violence. Where was he shot? What damage did the bullets do? How many wounds would have been fatal? What position was the victim in when he was shot? These are all things that come up at trial, and could go to the shooter's state of mind/intentions, etc.

Another part of the autopsy that often delays the results is the toxicology report on the victim. At this point, I'm questioning the state of mind of both the shooter and the victim. One more thing the men had in common was fighting the war on drugs on their streets. IMO, this fact only adds to more speculation.

The civil lawsuit seeking monetary damages was filed in federal jurisdiction so this did not involve the fallen District Court Judge. Also, the former deputy convicted of SA was bailiff to the Judge which explains his easy access to both the Court and the Judge's Chambers. MOO

Appending to my post to add more about easy access-- both the Letcher County Jail and County Courthouse are located at 156 Main St., Whitesburg, KY. The County Jail is located in the lower level of the Court building. The Sheriff's Office (at 6 Broad Way) is about 279 feet from the building.

According to the Secretary of State’s office, Governor Beshear will choose the person to fill the remainder of the term of Letcher County District Judge Kevin Mullins, who was shot to death Thursday.

Secretary of State spokeswoman Michon Lindstrom says a judicial nominating committee will present the governor with a list of people to choose from. Beshear’s choice will fill the remainder of Mullins’ term. As for his alleged shooter, Sheriff Mickey Stines, Lindstrom says he’s still sheriff and unless he resigns or is removed from office, the process to replace him can’t begin. If either happens, the county judge-executive will pick the person to replace him, according to Lindstrom.

According to the Secretary of State’s office, Governor Beshear will choose the person to fill the remainder of the term of Letcher County District Judge Kevin Mullins, who was shot to death Thursday.

Secretary of State spokeswoman Michon Lindstrom says a judicial nominating committee will present the governor with a list of people to choose from. Beshear’s choice will fill the remainder of Mullins’ term. As for his alleged shooter, Sheriff Mickey Stines, Lindstrom says he’s still sheriff and unless he resigns or is removed from office, the process to replace him can’t begin. If either happens, the county judge-executive will pick the person to replace him, according to Lindstrom.

Assuming the Governor would have to remove Sheriff Stines from office if he doesn't resign?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatD
Back