Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Autopsy. Requirement? Time Frame?
I was a little surprised. Wouldn't an autopsy be performed and usually takes several days? I noticed no burial service listed, maybe a later date.
Having the visitation and service at the HS, it would need to be a weekend.
Moo
@Simply Southern Posting to expand on some earlier posts that responded to your Q.
Briefly.
In current times an autopsy exam is often conducted w'in 24-48 hrs of the death <<< IME of following true crime for decades. That is, except in circumstances that @MassGuy alluded to, where remains are in a seriously decomposed or skeletonized condition, when recovered, say, months or yrs after 'going missing', etc. Thx MG.

As THIS fatal shooting occurred Th. afternoon, seems imo likely that conducting an autopsy would allow still permit next of kin to schedule & hold a funeral w remains present at a service on Sunday.

Generally iiuc, a "HOLD-UP" re an autopsy does not stem from the initial stage (the famous Y-incision; pathologist's visual examination; removing organs; taking blood, fluid samples, tissue samples; X-rays; etc.), because after that the remains can be released to next of kin.
But before an autopsy REPORT can be FINALIZED, pathologist must receive & review auxiliary reports such as tox tests & other test results. Whether those analyses are conducted by a state lab or outside commercial lab, sometimes (often? usually?) those are the cause of delays. Some coroner/med examiner websites (sorry, ATM cannot recall specific ones) say that sometimes a final autopsy report may not be released until 60-90 days after death or even 90-120 days later.

@Simply Southern not surprising imo that a service for the judge was scheduled so soon.

Not So Briefly (Or a Buncha Tedious Details re KY law)

The fed CDC website displays summaries of laws re coroners, med examiners, pathologists, etc. & circumstances required INVESTIGATIONS of deaths - which may determine that an autopsy is not needed, and when AUTOPSIES are required. Yadda, yadda. That website displays the info state by state.

KENTUCKY.
KY medical death investigation system is COUNTY based. There is also a STATE medical examiner whose role is to assist coroners by providing medical assistance to him in determining causes of death.

Quotes from CSC site about KY's law, summarized in "Plain English" / "plain language" w citations to relevant section of statutes:

"What types of deaths are required to be investigated?"
"Coroners shall require a post-mortem examination to be performed in the following circumstances:
"(1) When the death of a human being appears to be caused by homicide or violence;...."

"What types of deaths are required to be autopsied?
“(1) The coroner of each county shall investigate the cause and manner of all deaths that are defined by KRS 72.405 as a coroner's case.”

"(2) The coroner may, in his sound discretion, when investigating a coroner's case, request the assistance of the district medical examiner and the Office of the Kentucky State Medical Examiner, order an autopsy, and hold an inquest.
Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 72.410."

""Coroner's case" means a case in which the coroner has reasonable cause for believing that the death of a human being within his county was caused by any of the conditions set forth in KRS 72.025 [see above]. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 72.405."

"Does the state require that pathologists perform the autopsies?
"Yes, "[c]oroner ordered autopsy" means an autopsy ordered by the coroner having jurisdiction and performed by a pathologist pursuant to such authorization in order to ascertain the cause and manner of death in a coroner's case. Ky. Rev. Stat. Ann. § 72.405."

^ Kentucky Coroner/Medical Examiner Law

@OldAce re post #271 “Nothing curious about it really as to circumstances of death.”
Summary of KY law ^ re “types of deaths are required to be autopsied” explains why an autopsy is required for THIS death.

That deputy, Ben Fields, was fired and later convicted of several state charges, spending less than a year in jail before being released this summer on probation. Stines was not accused of trading sex for favors, and Mullins was never charged.

Attorneys for the plaintiffs in that case told The Courier Journal they were surprised by the shooting and are not sure whether it played a role in Thursday’s chaos.

Mullins was never charged?
^^bbm

IMO, the Civil lawsuit and/or actions by former deputy Fields, has become a distraction to this murder case.

First, under a Civil lawsuit for the violation of the Plaintiffs' civil rights, nobody gets "charged." The only "relief" available under a Civil Complaint is financial. Here, the Plaintiffs are seeking compensatory damages by the Defendants in an amount sufficient to compensate the Plaintiffs for damages they suffered as a result of the Federal Violations to their Constitutional Rights.

Specific to this case and the subject Civil lawsuit filed by the victims of Fields (the "Plaintiffs"), the named Defendants include: Ben Fields, Individually and in his Official capacity as a Deputy with the Lechter County Sheriff's Department; Eastern Kentucky Correctional Services, Inc.; and Mickey Stines, Lechter County Sheriff.

Second, under State and Federal law, both an elected County Sheriff (Stines) and a District Court Judge (Mullins), are protected from civil claims by the Plaintiffs pursuant to the doctrine of absolute immunity, official immunity, good faith immunity, and all other immunities and privileges available to them as elected official, sheriff, judge, and police officer [KRS 44.072]. Also, please take note that nobody except for Ben Fields was named in the lawsuit Individually.

Following the Civil Complaint by Plaintiffs initially filed on January 31, 2022 (Amended 3/16/22 and 9/28/22), for whatever reason, Ben Fields wasn't criminally indicted/charged for SA until September 27, 2022.

Again, neither Stines nor Mullins were ever criminally indicted and/or "charged," then or now, for any crime connected to Fields. MOO

9/30/22 Former Letcher Co. deputy sheriff indicted on multiple rape, sodomy charges | K105

Assuming the Governor would have to remove Sheriff Stines from office if he doesn't resign?

Seems to me that unless there is no Undersheriff or Chief Deputy to take over the duties of Stines, the Governor might appoint an "acting County Sheriff" under an emergency Order but I think removing the elected Sheriff has to come from the People (i.e., recall petition). I don't think it will come to that. JMO

How could so much go wrong for Stiles -- no winners. :oops:

From his Oct 27, 2022 post:

I try my best to be fair to everyone and lead by example. I feel my leadership during a pandemic and a natural disaster has been proven.
Come November 8, I ask for your vote and support. I have been blessed to serve the citizens and hope to do so 4 more years.
This is my town.
♥️

ETA: "My Town" music embeded

^^bbm

IMO, the Civil lawsuit and/or actions by former deputy Fields, has become a distraction to this murder case.

First, under a Civil lawsuit for the violation of the Plaintiffs' civil rights, nobody gets "charged." The only "relief" available under a Civil Complaint is financial. Here, the Plaintiffs are seeking compensatory damages by the Defendants in an amount sufficient to compensate the Plaintiffs for damages they suffered as a result of the Federal Violations to their Constitutional Rights.

Specific to this case and the subject Civil lawsuit filed by the victims of Fields (the "Plaintiffs"), the named Defendants include: Ben Fields, Individually and in his Official capacity as a Deputy with the Lechter County Sheriff's Department; Eastern Kentucky Correctional Services, Inc.; and Mickey Stines, Lechter County Sheriff.

Second, under State and Federal law, both an elected County Sheriff (Stines) and a District Court Judge (Mullins), are protected from civil claims by the Plaintiffs pursuant to the doctrine of absolute immunity, official immunity, good faith immunity, and all other immunities and privileges available to them as elected official, sheriff, judge, and police officer [KRS 44.072]. Also, please take note that nobody except for Ben Fields was named in the lawsuit Individually.

Following the Civil Complaint by Plaintiffs initially filed on January 31, 2022 (Amended 3/16/22 and 9/28/22), for whatever reason, Ben Fields wasn't criminally indicted/charged for SA until September 27, 2022.

Again, neither Stines nor Mullins were ever criminally indicted and/or "charged," then or now, for any crime connected to Fields. MOO

9/30/22 Former Letcher Co. deputy sheriff indicted on multiple rape, sodomy charges | K105

Yes, but! And I know that I am stuck in post hoc ergo propter hoc land, the timing of the Sheriff’s deposition (Monday, iirc) and the length of time of the deposition (8 hours, iirc), is suggestive of *something* being revealed during said deposition that led to the shooting of the Judge by the Sheriff.

No doubt, anything at all that we are not privileged to could have happened betwixt those two events and could “explain” (i.e. motivate) them. But given what we do know, and wrt answering the question, “why this seemingly extraordinary event happened on this day,” the deposition, if not the civil suit, must be considered. Imo.

Yes, but! And I know that I am stuck in post hoc ergo propter hoc land, the timing of the Sheriff’s deposition (Monday, iirc) and the length of time of the deposition (8 hours, iirc), is suggestive of *something* being revealed during said deposition that led to the shooting of the Judge by the Sheriff.

No doubt, anything at all that we are not privileged to could have happened betwixt those two events and could “explain” (i.e. motivate) them. But given what we do know, and wrt answering the question, “why this seemingly extraordinary event happened on this day,” the deposition, if not the civil suit, must be considered. Imo.

The depos of both Fields (Sept 11 - 10AM) and Stines (Sept 16 - 10AM) took place post Fields criminal investigation and prosecution, including Fields' six months jail term, imposed on Jan 4, 2024.

Stines was no doubt represented by counsel during the civil deposition who would have shut down any questions deemed to be a fishing expedition-- outside of the scope of the Civil Rights Violations alleged by the Plaintiffs.

While I can see where Sheriff Stines might feel betrayed, embarrassed, and angry over Fields egregious acts, there would not have been anything unknown, surprising, or shocking to Stines on the late date of 9/16/24. IMO, Stines most likely also testified before the criminal grand jury in 2022 where Fields would be indicted late Sept 2022.

Nope. I just don't see any credible fault from a civil rights violation depo on Monday that would result in Stines fatally assaulting his long time friend, Judge Kevin Mullins, on Thursday.

Reportedly, Attorneys for the Plaintiff have expressed the same shock as everybody else in town. MOO

9/21/24

WHITESBURG, Ky. — They’d been friends for years and once worked side-by-side in the county courthouse. They were two high-profile elected officials in a town where it seems like everybody knows each other.

So why, as he’s accused in court, did Letcher County Sheriff Shawn "Mickey" Stines walk into a private room inside the courthouse, pull out a gun and kill District Judge Kevin Mullins?

[..]

Mullins had no public discipline history from the Kentucky Bar Association and had a reputation in the community of working with drug offenders to get them into treatment facilities instead of jails.

Stines, meanwhile, had friends all over town. He’d been a fixture in the community for decades, working for years as bailiff in Mullins’ court before winning the race for sheriff in 2018. He had no plans to seek another term, he had said earlier this year.

More at link...

The Louisville Courier Journal newspaper from Louisville, Kentucky has an interesting article about how the vacancies for the county district judge and county sheriff jobs are filled.

It is my understanding from this newspaper article that the Kentucky Governor will appoint a new district judge from a list of three nominees selected by the judicial nominating commission.

It is also my understanding from this newspaper article that Stines is still the sheriff until he either resign or is replaced.

But the article mentioned that the current situation that Stines is in hasn't been encountered before in Kentucky.

Source:

Letcher County Shooting Leaves Key Roles Vacant. How Will Sheriff, Judge Jobs Be Filled?

The depos of both Fields (Sept 11 - 10AM) and Stines (Sept 16 - 10AM) took place post Fields criminal investigation and prosecution, including Fields' six months jail term, imposed on Jan 4, 2024.

Stines was no doubt represented by counsel during the civil deposition who would have shut down any questions deemed to be a fishing expedition-- outside of the scope of the Civil Rights Violations alleged by the Plaintiffs.

While I can see where Sheriff Stines might feel betrayed, embarrassed, and angry over Fields egregious acts, there would not have been anything unknown, surprising, or shocking to Stines on the late date of 9/16/24. IMO, Stines most likely also testified before the criminal grand jury in 2022 where Fields would be indicted late Sept 2022.

Nope. I just don't see any credible fault from a civil rights violation depo on Monday that would result in Stines fatally assaulting his long time friend, Judge Kevin Mullins, on Thursday.

Reportedly, Attorneys for the Plaintiff have expressed the same shock as everybody else in town. MOO
I am beating a dead horse, I know. But I will rebut one of your claims…while Sheriff was likely represented by counsel, who would have been representing his office as Sheriff, rather than representing the person, depositions happen in the course of discovery. They may well be fishing! Since the person who is the Sheriff is not personally represented, it is possible that information pertaining to him as a person-not his office-would be personally implicating. I’ll leave it there for now.

I find this case has been an especially challenging one for WSs. I am grateful for all of the discussion and alternative views.

Eta: imo

The Louisville Courier Journal newspaper from Louisville, Kentucky has an interesting article about how the vacancies for the county district judge and county sheriff jobs are filled.

It is my understanding from this newspaper article that the Kentucky Governor will appoint a new district judge from a list of three nominees selected by the judicial nominating commission.

It is also my understanding from this newspaper article that Stines is still the sheriff until he either resign or is replaced.

But the article mentioned that the current situation that Stines is in hasn't been encountered before in Kentucky.

Source:

Letcher County Shooting Leaves Key Roles Vacant. How Will Sheriff, Judge Jobs Be Filled?
For some strange reason, the link to the above Louisville newspaper article can't be seen.

The newspaper article did say that when the office of the county sheriff is vacant, the county judge executive appoints someone to fill that vacancy.

The article did say that it was unclear if the Kentucky Governor has to remove the sheriff from office before the county judge executive can fill that vacancy.

"The governor must appoint a judge from this list of three," according to the Administrative Office of the Courts. "If the governor does not appoint a judge within 60 days of receiving the list of nominees, the appointment is made by the chief justice from the list of nominees."

But in cases of county office vacancies between elections, including the sheriff, the county judge executive is responsible for appointing a replacement, according to state law. Appointments by the judge executive to fill vacancies last "until the successor is elected," the state statute says.

9/21/24

Letcher County official reveals details about sheriff-judge shooting | Banfield​

Interesting..

He said they weren't sure where the shooting was coming from so they evacuated the building.

Then after the sheriff shot the judge, he picked up the phone again and looked at it before walking out.

Nobody was in the courthouse because they evacuated it.

He was a close personal friend to both men and he has no idea what was going on.. no idea of any personal problems with either of them with the other.

Sounds like this was something the sheriff found out that day that caused him to react in this way.

Interesting..

He said they weren't sure where the shooting was coming from so they evacuated the building.

Then after the sheriff shot the judge, he picked up the phone again and looked at it before walking out.

Nobody was in the courthouse because they evacuated it.

He was a close personal friend to both men and he has no idea what was going on.. no idea of any personal problems with either of them with the other.

Sounds like this was something the sheriff found out that day that caused him to react in this way.
I agree. From what we know, it sounds like whatever they both viewed on their phones was information brand new to Stines (that flipped a rage reaction), but known by the judge.

Text? Pictures? Both? And if someone just sent them immediately prior to the shooting, then who?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CatD
Back