Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wow. That does seem extremely stressful.

"State law says an outgoing sheriff must make a settlement — pay off all bills and remit all collected taxes — at the end of his term."

Since he was named in the civil suit in his role as Sheriff, the lawyers' fees might be taking a huge bite out of his budget, especially if he wasn't planning to run for the role of Sheriff again. Would he be personally liable for any debts of his office at the end of his term? Was his office already in serious financial trouble? Did he somehow hold Mullins responsible for something related to the lawsuit? (As in, debts his office was amassing were somehow the "fault" of Mullins?)

MOO/supposition only.

It does make me wonder about Stines' recent attempts to open up liquor sales in the county presenting it as a good opportunity to gain tax revenue for the county. I can see a small county being overwhelmed by the legal fees and potential payout for settlement for a civil suit involving SA of inmates by a court officer. Perhaps the petition to open up liquor sales was an attempt to plug that hole in the finances caused by the suit?

I agree, it could be legitimate.

In this case, however, it looks like the State of Kentucky is defending the Sherriff. Likewise, he was not sued in his private capacity. So, even if he "loses" he is not going to be personally paying anything.

Just does not seem like a likely motive to me.
Curious as to why this lawsuit hasn't been settled?

well, if I had to guess, as someone above suggested, the individuals suing came to be in the jail for reasons. They are alleged to have engaged in crimes. People who engage in crimes IMO may be more likely to engage in unsafe lifestyle choices and in future crimes. Maybe counsel for respondents are playing the odds that those complainants will continue to engage in the activities that took them to the jail in the first place thereby further eroding their credibility.

This case to me seems to revolve around a perceived betrayal of some sort. If the sheriff was motivated by the lawsuit, I suspect he would shoot the deputy, not the judge.

I wonder if something unexpected came out at the deposition concerning the judge.

Whatever happened, it seems like the sheriff felt the need to kill his friend, but made no effort to get away.

If a plea deal is made, the sheriff will have to explain to the court why he did what he did. If he tries a crime of passion defense this will need to be revealed. I personally don't see a crime of passion defense being successful as it seems the sheriff had knowledge beforehand of what he might find on the phone.

I do wonder if the judge handed him his personal phone or if he forcibly took it.

In my opinion, whatever the motive was, Stine, in his own mind found the punishment for killing the judge worth it. With a building full of people and shooting this man in broad daylight, he knew there was no running, no trying to conceal the body, none of that. In his head, it was worth it. I assume that one would only do that to protect someone they loved. Whether it be actual harm or shame to the family.

If it was in relation to the current civil suit, were there more victims coming out? Where they both in on it and one had to be silenced?

I dont know.

But.... My is that the State fears setting a bad precedent by giving a pay out in this situation. Word of an easy pay out gets around. This sets a bad precedent leading to far more lawsuits.

At the end of the day, bad officers exist in every jurisdiction and managers, captains and sheriffs could always have done something "better" in regards to training or over sight. So, there is an endless potential for lawsuits against the government and cash settlements.

• Circuit Court Clerk Mike Watts knew both men well
  • Watts: Community is mourning 'both honorable men'

“These are both honorable men. These both are honorable,” Watt emphasized. “They were elected by the good citizens of Letcher County. They both served admirably in their positions.”

“I don’t want to speculate. There’s two families that’s lost loved ones. Our county’s devastated by this loss. We’re (a) strong mountain community,” he added.

Considering that no attempt was made to conceal the killing (other than going into a private room long enough that nobody would be able to stop him) and he appears to have surrendered immediately, I don't get the impression he had any plan of getting away with it. It feels to me like a situation where he either believed that his actions will be found to be justified or he believed that the judge was so dangerous that it would be worth going to jail to stop him.

I don't think it makes sense for it to be directly related to the civil suit - being known to have killed the judge isn't getting him out of anything. It’s not like a witness mysteriously disappearing before testifying.

I'm not taking any rumors as fact by any means. But I would expect Stines believed that (some situation where the judge was actively causing harm) to be true. I don't think it would justify murder, personally, but I think a lot of people might.

I can see a small county being overwhelmed by the legal fees and potential payout for settlement for a civil suit involving SA of inmates by a court officer.
The rules of the card game seem to give every small county has an "Ace in the Hole" under the rules section titled "Sovereign Immunity"

At the end of the game, Sovereigns dont have to pay anything. They can, and do, however, agree to enter into settlement talks for a variety of reasons.

My guess is that this was not the first time Kentucky counties have been sued under the line of thought of: Officer "O" did "X". He should have been trained better. Now, the county owes me cash...." The lawsuit as a catalyst or motive just seems unlikely in my opinion.

Here is an article from the Whitesburg newspaper about the proposed county-wide sale of alcohol in Letcher County that is on the ballot for voters to decide this November.

Voters Will Decide If Alcohol Will Be Sold Countywide
thank you. It sounds as if Lechter county could really use the tax revenue for many reasons. Defending the civil was just one reason the county coffers could use an influx of revenue. MOO

The rules of the card game seem to give every small county has an "Ace in the Hole" under the rules section titled "Sovereign Immunity"

At the end of the game, Sovereigns dont have to pay anything. They can, and do, however, agree to enter into settlement talks for a variety of reasons.

My guess is that this was not the first time Kentucky counties have been sued under the line of thought of: Officer "O" did "X". He should have been trained better. Now, the county owes me cash...."

The lawsuit as a catalyst or motive just seems unlikely in my opinion.
it could however add a lot of stress to a person named in that suit. Whether the civil suit was a money grab or based in very real SA is beside the point. It would be an added stressor to anyone named as a defendant. MOO JMO. That deposition on the Monday prior to the shootings is very much in my mind. Depositions are stressful. Even if only as a witness IME but as a defendant/respondent? Moreso. Whether the suit is directly related or simply tangentially as an added stressor to other situations in the sheriff's job or life remains to be seen. I may be very wrong. But for now that is my theory, stress around this suit played a role.

Arraignment on Wednesday
In my opinion, whatever the motive was, Stine, in his own mind found the punishment for killing the judge worth it. With a building full of people and shooting this man in broad daylight, he knew there was no running, no trying to conceal the body, none of that. In his head, it was worth it. I assume that one would only do that to protect someone they loved. Whether it be actual harm or shame to the family.

If it was in relation to the current civil suit, were there more victims coming out? Where they both in on it and one had to be silenced?
Totally agree with your first part, but I don't think your last thought is going to be it. The whole point of silencing the judge in that case, would be self preservation. Murder and a life sentence is the antithesis of that.

I'm convinced this was based on a grudge, and Stines felt justified in his actions.

Update: Sheriff Shawn “Mickey” Stines will be arraigned in Letcher County District Court on Wednesday, September 25 at 11am. He will appear virtually before a special judge.Together with Commonwealth's Attorney Jackie Steele, we will continue to pursue justice.

— Attorney General Russell Coleman

• The judge in the case is Rupert Wilhoit III
  • Stines will appear via ZOOM because Wilhoit is in Carter County, which is over two hours away from Letcher County.

Considering that no attempt was made to conceal the killing (other than going into a private room long enough that nobody would be able to stop him) and he appears to have surrendered immediately, I don't get the impression he had any plan of getting away with it. It feels to me like a situation where he either believed that his actions will be found to be justified or he believed that the judge was so dangerous that it would be worth going to jail to stop him.

I don't think it makes sense for it to be directly related to the civil suit - being known to have killed the judge isn't getting him out of anything. It’s not like a witness mysteriously disappearing before testifying.

I'm not taking any rumors as fact by any means. But I would expect Stines believed that (some situation where the judge was actively causing harm) to be true. I don't think it would justify murder, personally, but I think a lot of people might.
It would seem to me that the Sheriff, being the top law enforcer in the county, if he found out anyone was doing some kind of harm, he would have approached it legally and not in the role of a vigilante. That leads me to think there may be much more to the private story between these two men. If true, that so many shots were fired at a defenseless man, there's no calling the killer honorable in any way. I find it astonishing he has been described as such by someone who's worked closely with both men.
The above is all just my opinion.

it could however add a lot of stress to a person named in that suit. Whether the civil suit was a money grab or based in very real SA is beside the point. It would be an added stressor to anyone named as a defendant.
I can fully agree with you on this. Lawsuit induced stress would be greater if nobody fully informed the Sheriff say:

- Dont worry, this is what you are really facing.
- This is how the State of Kentucky views this particular lawsuit (say, a low grade shake down attempt).
- Btw, if things go totally off rails.....the County gets the last word via Sovereign Immunity.

It would seem to me that the Sheriff, being the top law enforcer in the county, if he found out anyone was doing some kind of harm, he would have approached it legally and not in the role of a vigilante. That leads me to think there may be much more to the private story between these two men. If true, that so many shots were fired at a defenseless man, there's no calling the killer honorable in any way. I find it astonishing he has been described as such by someone who's worked closely with both men.
The reason the sheriff is being called “honorable” is definitely a mystery. Hoping more information will come out that will shed light on the situation.

JMO

We’ve heard lots of things in regards to motive, and none of them are verified. Lets just say there is a motive that would make the judge look bad though; if I was the family I’d want him buried as soon as possible, so the funeral didn’t take place under a cloud of suspicion.

That could very well be the case here, but time will tell.
That his private life isn't mentioned within the obituary, but only his professional success, says a lot (if not all) to me.

We don't know that the judge was defenseless. Personally, I suspect many judges carry because of the dangers their job may bring into their lives. I first saw/understood this in a courthouse parking lot. A man got out of his vehicle and reached inside for his jacket. As he turned I could see his gun tucked into a holster in the small of his back. Inside, I realized he was the judge, leading me to evaluate the possibility that it is smart for county judges to be able to defend themselves.

I do not automatically assume Judge Mullins was "defenseless".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imabrattoo
Back