Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Pic on Sheriff's FB Page?

I can see only a handful of pix but noticed one in top-row pic, where MS is wearing royal blue t-shirt emblazoned:
"ARCHIE
BUNKER '24
Stifle Yourself Dingbat"

Catch the attn of anyone else? Any meaning re "All in the Family" TV series for a guy who was not born or an infant in its original network broadcast years, 1971-1979.

Was it a "gag-gift?"
Online vendors showing as "Funny Retro Archie Bunker" t-shirt.
Why would an elected official post it on public FB?
No biggie I guess.
I love All in the Family. It’s available to watch on reruns and he might have watched with his parents.
But I think it’s a commentary on the election. Telling “dummies” to shut up and suggesting Archie Bunker run instead. It’s just a joke, IMO, reflecting fatigue with the election.

If you go to your local Court there in California, you will occasionally see people with guns in uniform. They are deputies. The Sheriff's Office is in charge of security at Courthouses. The Sheriff can pretty much carry his gun anywhere he wants in his county.
Yup. They just walk around the metal detectors here. Or come in through an entrance with no metal detectors.

I feel totally safe with armed deputies in the courthouse. Which is why this is such a scandal. No one likes to think of the remote possibility of those who are tasked with keeping us safe from danger, being the actual danger.

Thankfully I’ve never heard of this before so it’s not going to change how I feel.

I find it both ironic and sad that Sheriff MS is continually referred to as a family man. His actions have resulted in not only murdering a judge and "blowing up" his own life but also will have lifetime of (mostly adverse) impacts for his family and the community as a whole. MOO.
It's very shocking when a respected public servant of many years, a family man, married for 20 years, has lunch with his friend only to return to Mullins private quarters (Judges Chambers) and kill him in cold blood. In other words, by all accounts, Stines was all of those things up until that split second on Thursday when he pulled the trigger. We don't know any more than this. I agree that its very sad for the lives lost, their families, and the community left in shock over the actions of somebody they deeply care about. Let's give these people some grace over their choice of words while they process, and reality sets in. JMO

Pic on Sheriff's FB Page?

I can see only a handful of pix but noticed one in top-row pic, where MS is wearing royal blue t-shirt emblazoned:
"ARCHIE
BUNKER '24
Stifle Yourself Dingbat"

Catch the attn of anyone else? Any meaning re "All in the Family" TV series for a guy who was not born or an infant in its original network broadcast years, 1971-1979.

Was it a "gag-gift?"
Online vendors showing as "Funny Retro Archie Bunker" t-shirt.
Why would an elected official post it on public FB?
No biggie I guess.
All in the Family has been on various streaming platforms in recent years.

So is walking out the side door and coming back in the courthouse's front doors, into the courtroom to place the murder weapon on one of the attorney tables. Does this mean he exited the judge's chambers from a side door or from the anteroom's side door? I wonder if EMT's/LE had to break into the judge's chamber to get to him? Goodness, listening to the Clerk you could tell how devastating it is for him, so tragic </3
This is a really excellent observation. We haven’t heard anything about the phones. What happened to them? Did the Sheriff dispose of one or both during his foray outside? Or were they both left on Judge’s desk in chambers?

This is a really excellent observation. We haven’t heard anything about the phones. What happened to them? Did the Sheriff dispose of one or both during his foray outside? Or were they both left on Judge’s desk in chambers?
have we heard anything about the phones at all? Any search warrants being conducted in relation to Stines or his property?

My heart hurts for the families of both men. This shooting and the fallout to come has to have a devastating effect on both families.

The article I recently posted said the lawsuit was a federal case? I was under the impression it was a civil case?

The Plaintiffs here filed their civil lawsuit in US District Court (Federal Court) alleging their civil rights under the US Constitution were violated, and seek financial damages as relief.

US District Court is the proper jurisdiction of all civil actions arising under the Constitution, laws, or treaties of the United States. 28 U.S.C. §1331

In other words, "federal case" as used by OP simply means the jurisdiction of the Court hearing the case, and doesn't change the action (i.e., civil, a non-criminal lawsuit).

Take note that both civil and criminal actions may be heard in US District Court which would also make those complaints "federal cases."

It's very shocking when a respected public servant of many years, a family man, married for 20 years, has lunch with his friend only to return to Mullins private quarters (Judges Chambers) and kill him in cold blood. In other words, by all accounts, Stines was all of those things up until that split second on Thursday when he pulled the trigger. We don't know any more than this. I agree that its very sad for the lives lost, their families, and the community left in shock over the actions of somebody they deeply care about. Let's give these people some grace over their choice of words while they process, and reality sets in. JMO
I don’t think we know that he killed him in cold blood. That’s an opinion since we don’t know the facts. MOO

Sheriff's FB Pic w Archie Bunker T-Shirt
I love All in the Family. It’s available to watch on reruns and he might have watched with his parents.
But I think it’s a commentary on the election. Telling “dummies” to shut up and suggesting Archie Bunker run instead. It’s just a joke, IMO, reflecting fatigue with the election.
@gitana1 Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this.

Thinking more about it, yes, likely reflecting Presidential Election fatigue, as many others are feeling too.

Like I said, "No biggie, I guess."

It's common in facility planning for a Judge to have a private building entry/exit door outside of or near their private Chambers. This is typically not visible from the courtroom. Design

I have no idea if Stines stopped at his car or office, or if he walked directly back inside via the front entrance to the Courthouse. The street address is 156 Main St., Whitesburg, KY 41858. (See the Street View & 360 google view link below).

The Lecher County District Court (Mullins) location is Suite 101-C, and the Circuit Court (Craft) is Suite 205.

I'm assuming from the Suite #, the District Court (Mullins) is located on the first floor and there's at least two private entrances (Authorized Personnel Only) on Short St. side of the Courthouse, and another private entrance to the Courthouse on the Webb St. side.

Webb St intersects with Broad Way where the Sheriff's Office is located directly behind the Courthouse (6 Broad Way). The Sallyport to the County Jail also appears to be on the Webb Street side of the Courthouse.

Thank you. I was just pondering the "why". It's possible he (Stines) re-entered the building immediately. (Just to the left of the sheriff's office is the town's Presbyterian church... lovely late-1800's building thanks to Italian stonemasons, but I doubt Stines stopped by for prayer).

jmo

Last edited:
An interview summarized in post 311 discusses the phones.
New info to me from interview with Mike Watts, Circuit Court Clerk:

Watts alleged that Mullins voluntarily handed Sheriff Stines his phone and with Mullins phone in one hand and his own phone in the other hand, Stines was comparing something being displayed before setting the phones down, getting up and walking around the desk to Mullins-- shooting him 8 times. (To be clear, Stines was holding two phones).

Also, following the shooting, Stines did not approach fallen Mullins or attempt to render aid but instead picked up Mullins phone again, looked at it, and set it back down on the desk before exiting Mullins Chambers and leaving the Court via the side exit. Stines then re-entered the Courthouse through the front entrance and surrendered, placing his weapon on a table in the Courtroom.

Per Watts, employees and witnesses had evacuated the building at the sound of gunfire, and Stines re-entered the Courthouse along with first responders arriving at the scene.

When asked if Stines was in uniform and/or on duty on Thursday, Watts confirmed he was not in uniform but that the Sheriff is on duty 24/7.

Watts offered that both men served the community admirably, and worked in concert to combat the drug epidemic in the community. He cited that Stines shared Mullins view that jailing addicts was not the answer, and Stines would often drive the offenders to their Court Ordered drug treatment.

IMO, Watts was painfully grieved while talking to Banfield (who constantly interrupted her guest, as she does). I think Watts is still in shock. MOO :(

ETA: Watts was not an eye witness and did not view the video -- he reported what he understood from others who viewed the video.

Thank you. I was just pondering the "why". It's possible he (Stines) re-entered the building immediately. (Just to the left of the sheriff's office is the town's Presbyterian church... lovely building).
I wonder if he was surprised that everyone evacuted the building? He exits and sees everyone out there and decides to reenter to leave his gun inside vs everyone seeing an armed man be taken into custody. I wonder if everyone evacuated out the side door and then he realized they were there and he wanted to surrender without incident. Leave the gun inside and then surrender where maybe less people were standing around.

I am not sure on the timeline as far as how long he stayed inside before exiting, how long he was outside and then back inside, etc. I am sure the police response was quick because it's the courthouse, but maybe if people were not sure what was going on at first, they didn't realize HE the sheriff did the shooting or who was shot. I am sure it was quite confusing at first for many of those that work in the building.

I am curious how those responding knew it was the sheriff that was responsible for shooting the shots everyone heard. It sounded like to me the building was evacuated due to shots fired, but it wasn't clear that anyone knew it was the sheriff shooting the judge and they evacuated simply because it was shots fired.

I wonder if he was surprised that everyone evacuted the building? He exits and sees everyone out there and decides to reenter to leave his gun inside vs everyone seeing an armed man be taken into custody. I wonder if everyone evacuated out the side door and then he realized they were there and he wanted to surrender without incident. Leave the gun inside and then surrender where maybe less people were standing around.

I am not sure on the timeline as far as how long he stayed inside before exiting, how long he was outside and then back inside, etc. I am sure the police response was quick because it's the courthouse, but maybe if people were not sure what was going on at first, they didn't realize HE the sheriff did the shooting or who was shot. I am sure it was quite confusing at first for many of those that work in the building.

I am curious how those responding knew it was the sheriff that was responsible for shooting the shots everyone heard. It sounded like to me the building was evacuated due to shots fired, but it wasn't clear that anyone knew it was the sheriff shooting the judge and they evacuated simply because it was shots fired.

IMO, they didn't know or suspect Stines immediately. They treated this as an active shooter in the area and put schools on lockdown!

The Circuit Court Clerk (Watts) described how Stines re-entering the Courthouse along with first responders was probably not suspicious to any of them until he set his weapon down on the attorney's table inside the Courtroom.

I'm envisioning first responders entering Mullins courtroom to get to the victim inside his chambers when Stines didn't go any further than the State's table located inside the courtroom.

As for evacuating the building when they (first floor personnel) heard shots being fired, this may be protocol for this Court since the County jail is located in the lower level of the Courthouse. MOO

9/21/24

Ben Gish, the editor of Mountain Eagle, a local weekly newspaper, told CNN “none of us could imagine anything like this happening in this day and time.”

“I can’t imagine the scar this will leave on our community,” Gish said.

While the shooting sent some residents looking for answers, it prompted some to advocate for more adequate safety protocols at the Letcher County Courthouse, including installing a metal detector and adding security at the entrance.

“The Letcher County Courthouse is one of the last that you can walk into without a metal detector or security at the front door,” said Matt Butler, commonwealth’s attorney for Letcher County, in a video statement Friday. “This is unacceptable in 2024. It was unacceptable when I started in 2007.”

I've transcribed the interview with a county clerk that was linked and summarised above by @Seattle1

Side note - not only does she constantly interrupt people she also doesn't listen. Makes me cringe every time she misinterprets the interviewee.

INTERVIEW WITH THE COUNTY CLERK

21ST SEPTEMBER

BANFIELD
- I'm going to bring in Mike Watts, he is the Letcher County Court Clerk and he has known both Judge Mullins and Sheriff Stines for years and considered both men a friend.

This is such an incredibly tragic story and so confusing, Mike thank you for joining me tonight and I'm so sorry for your loss and what your community's going through right now. Can you walk us through the day and the hours leading up to this shooting about what these two men did?

COUNTY CLERK - I have no information at all about what occurred or why it occurred. I know our county is devastated. We've lost two county officials, personal friends of mine. For years, I've worked with both men closely throughout their careers.

BANFIELD - Was there any animosity? was there any acrimony? was there anything that you knew about that did not seem right about the relationship between these two men?

COUNTY CLERK - None at all. None that I knew of. I didn't know of anything that....

BANFIELD - So, Mike, I just detailed that there had been this deposition that the sheriff had sat for about this terrible crime, that one of the sheriff's deputies had pleaded guilty to, and that potentially the judge had some information. Does any of this comport with your knowledge of maybe some consternation between the sheriff and the judge, because this lawsuit was ongoing?

COUNTY CLERK - Not that I know of no, no. I know both men personally, they didn't... either one told me anything that they had a problem with the other, that anything was going on. Both of them has been good for our county and community. The whole county is just devastated over it. Both men have been active in the community.

BANFIELD - Is the whole county, including you, completely confounded by how or why this happened?

COUNTY CLERK - Of course, yes, we all....

BANFIELD - Nobody had a clue?

COUNTY CLERK - No-one has a clue that I know of. We just we're all like everyone else we would just like to know the answer.

BANFIELD - I need to ask you, the local paper said that there's video in the judge's office, perhaps even in chambers, because the local paper says: the video shows what happened and I just laid out that both men looked at their phones right before the shooting, and that the sheriff came around judge Mullen's desk and opened fire eight times - is that accurate? Do you know of the video showing this?

COUNTY CLERK - I know of the video. I've not seen the video so I'm not sure what it shows.

BANFIELD - Have you discussed the video and the contents of the data video with anybody else, court employees, witnesses, anyone else who could corroborate that, yes, indeed, that is what happened?

COUNTY CLERK - That's my understanding.

BANFIELD - So just to be clear, it is your understanding that that is exactly what played out - that the local paper is reporting is shown on a video. You're telling me tonight that that series of events, in your understanding, did play out like that?

COUNTY CLERK - Some of it did, I think, I think, from my understanding, judge Mullins handed the sheriff his phone. The sheriff looked at both phones. He had two phones in each.. one phone in each hand. He reviewed the phones. He laid the judge's phone back down and then stood up.

BANFIELD - They had been seated prior to that when this phone exchange happened?

COUNTY CLERK - Yes.

BANFIELD - And was there an audible argument? Was there yelling? There was some reporting yesterday that they had been arguing. Is that what happened or was it all quiet?

COUNTY CLERK - I don't know. I couldn't answer that. Kentucky state police is investigating the crime, we all are looking for answers. I've not only lost our district judge, but our county sheriff and two personal friends.

BANFIELD - Was the door to chambers open to the staffers in the anteroom.

COUNTY CLERK - No.

BANFIELD - Did those staffers who were in the outside room outside of chambers - did they report hearing anything prior to the shots?

COUNTY CLERK - No argument, no.

BANFIELD - And what about just conversation - was there normal conversation in normal tones prior to the shots?

COUNTY CLERK - They couldn't hear. The sheriff walked in and asked whoever was in the chambers that he needed to speak with the judge in private and the doors were closed.

BANFIELD - And they couldn't hear any other conversation after that, even that there was conversation.

COUNTY CLERK - No, the next thing they heard is gunshots, I think, and they didn't realize if they were from the outside or someone had came in or what, they evacuated the building and then I was informed...

BANFIELD - What did the video show next after the sheriff allegedly fired eight shots, killing judge Mullins?

COUNTY CLERK - Again, I've not seen the video.

BANFIELD - What have you been told it shows?

COUNTY CLERK - That he picked up the phone again, the judge's phone and looked at it and laid it back down and then walked out.

BANFIELD - So after the shots were fired, he did not render assistance, he did not check the judge. He picked up the judge's phone, off the desk again, looked at it, and then walked out of the office.

COUNTY CLERK - From my understanding, again, I've not seen the video.

BANFIELD - What did he say to the people outside the office the moment he came out?

COUNTY CLERK - There was no-one there, I don't think.

BANFIELD - And so, where did he walk to after he left chambers?

COUNTY CLERK - He exited the courthouse.

BANFIELD - He didn't come into contact with anyone in the courthouse until he came outside on the front steps?

COUNTY CLERK - He came out a side entrance, turned and walked back in the front entrance.

BANFIELD - When he walked back in the front entrance, what happened after that? What was he doing going back into the courthouse?

COUNTY CLERK - The first responders were responding of course. They probably thought he was there to assist them, until he walked back in the courthouse, back into the courtroom, it's my understanding, and laid his revolver... or his pistol down on one of the tables.

BANFIELD - At the very front of the courthouse he laid his... is that his service revolver? are you saying it's his service pistol.

COUNTY CLERK - In the courtroom. He walked back in the courtroom, from my understanding. Again, I didn't see the video, so I'm not... it was just my understanding that he walked back in the courtroom and took his pistol out and laid it on top of one of the attorney tables.

BANFIELD - And then surrendered to the responders who were in that courtroom?

COUNTY CLERK - That's my understanding. And can you just tell me again - was it his service pistol, or was it his personal weapon?

COUNTY CLERK - I do not know.

BANFIELD - Was he in uniform?

COUNTY CLERK - He was not.

BANFIELD - Was he on duty?

COUNTY CLERK - He was on duty, 24 hours, 7 days a week. These are both honorable men, these both are honorable. They were elected by the citizens of Letcher County; they both served admirably in their positions they held. Sheriff Stines fought the drug epidemic with everything he had in him. He worked 24 hours, 7 days a week. Judge Mullins was a very strong component of, instead of incarcerating individuals after years being on the bench, he realized that it wasn't working, and he was working along with Sheriff Steins to get people in treatment and give them a second chance.

BANFIELD - So Mike, I'm glad you said that, because one of my big questions has been, because the judge had a different viewpoint on incarcerating people with drug offenses and favored instead rehabilitation. Was that a point of contention between the sheriff and the judge, or did they work together in concert together in that theory?

COUNTY CLERK - They worked together hand in hand. Sheriff Steins would take them to treatment. He would offer people to come into his office and voluntarily go and not be arrested to treatment for drug...

BANFIELD - Do you suspect then, do you suspect, that any consternation that may have led to the shooting, then is likely from the other issue? and that was what the federal lawsuit was about, and the criminal case with the other bailiff and sheriff's deputy, is that what you suspect that this has been about?

COUNTY CLERK - I have no idea. I don't want to speculate. There's two families that's lost loved ones, our county is devastated by this loss. We're a strong mountain community. We've been through a lot. We had a July 2022, flood - devastated the county. Both men delivered supplies to flood victims. I have no idea what happened.

BANFIELD - Mike Walsh, again, I reiterate my condolences to you having lost your friend and then I am so sorry that you're going through this additional trauma of dealing with whatever it was that may have driven the sheriff to do this, I know it's alleged right now but my goodness these facts are troubling. Thank you. I'm going to call on you again, I do appreciate this tonight.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minushka
Back