Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So then what's there to recuse? His chambers were being used for the crime. He was allegedly not involved in any way. The deputy had access to the space after hours and used it.

Even if Judge Mullins had no knowledge of the crimes, it seems like it would be a conflict of interest to me because his personal chambers were used in the commission of these crimes. He might feel like that was an invasion of his privacy and/or authority, a breaching of trust, etc. He had a personal and professional connection even if he had been totally ignorant of what was happening. So, I am with the plaintiffs in the case, thinking he needed to recuse himself because of possibile conflict of interest. I was surprised to find out that he didn't recuse himself. Imo.

I understand what you're saying, and you do bring up very good points about the pitfalls of having either a governor or attorney general appoint a county sheriff.

Perhaps the best way to address this issue is to have the attorney general be involved in the proceedings to legally remove a sheriff from office and declaring that office to be vacant.

Then have the county judge executive to appoint someone that is legally qualified to be a sheriff to serve out the unexpired term.

A legally qualified person could be a deputy sheriff, a police officer, or a retired Kentucky State Police trooper that had police academy training and law enforcement experience to become the new sheriff.
How do you have someone from the judicial branch appoint someone to fill an executive branch elected position? My guess is that the Sheriff essentially has to be impeached (if he doesn't resign) and then the chief deputy or under-sheriff fills in until the next election or a special election is held.

Even if Judge Mullins had no knowledge of the crimes, it seems like it would be a conflict of interest to me because his personal chambers were used in the commission of these crimes. He might feel like that was an invasion of his privacy and/or authority, a breaching of trust, etc. He had a personal and professional connection even if he had been totally ignorant of what was happening. So, I am with the plaintiffs in the case, thinking he needed to recuse himself because of possibile conflict of interest. I was surprised to find out that he didn't recuse himself. Imo.
He didn't participate in that trial. There's nothing to recuse

I agree. The not guilty plea tells us he's going to fight this. I don't think he will resign from his job either. Miller said they believe he is in the "process of losing his job" - that's not a resignation!
It is indisputable that Stines shot and killed the judge, so his fighting this with a not guilty plea tells me also that he wants his motive to be out in the open <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
SHERIFF STINES HAD NOT ‘BEEN HIMSELF’ IN THE DAYS LEADING UP TO HIS MURDER OF LETCHER DISTRICT JUDGE KEVIN MULLINS

As hateful and unfounded rumors continue making their way through social media sites and elsewhere, a disturbing picture of what really transpired in the Letcher County Courthouse last week has begun to emerge.

Friends and coworkers say Letcher County Sheriff Mickey Stines had been acting erratically since around Labor Day. He was quieter than usual and had stopped regular communications with the community and the press. In mid-August he deleted his office’s Facebook page, and told The Mountain Eagle that people had been criticizing him and he was afraid someone might use the page in a court case. Less than 48 hours before Sheriff Stines shot and killed Letcher District Judge Kevin Mullins on September 19, Stines told a Mountain Eagle reporter that he had lost 40 pounds in two weeks. Friends of the sheriff say he didn’t “seem himself” in the days leading up to the shooting.

This story and more about the tragic events of last week appear in September 25 edition of The Mountain Eagle, which is being distributed now.

40 pounds in 2 weeks? Was he sick?

The assumption that the judge was "involved" in something deserving of payback is troubling to me, especially here. Particularly when there hasn't been so much as a hint in MSM so far that anything of the sort is the case.

Thus far the only one "involved" in anything appears to be the Sheriff, who was involved in a civil suit due to his position of power over a deputy who engaged in criminal behavior. JMO

yep, I picked up on that as well. Losing one's job is an indication they have no intention of giving it up voluntarily.

ETA I just don't know how one fights this. Unless he is hoping for jury nullification to get him out of the consequences of his actions.
I can conjure up some scenarios where he is found not guilty. But until we know a motive...
This case is a head scratcher so far!

The assumption that the judge was "involved" in something deserving of payback is troubling to me, especially here. Particularly when there hasn't been so much as a hint in MSM so far that anything of the sort is the case.

Thus far the only one "involved" in anything appears to be the Sheriff, who was involved in a civil suit due to his position of power over a deputy who engaged in criminal behavior. JMO

I agree.

It is indisputable that Stines shot and killed the judge, so his fighting this with a not guilty plea tells me also that he wants his motive to be out in the open <modsnip>

In the Vinnie P. interview yesterday with the plaintiffs' lawyer (for the deputy SA case; lawyer is also a criminal defense lawyer so Vinnie P. asked him what to expect at today's court appearance for MS, plea, etc.), the lawyer indicated that even if sheriff MS wanted to plead guilty this morning, it would be practically impossible to do so at this point per KY laws, etc.

So his not guilty plea doesn't indicate anything to me.... I think it's pretty standard, even if he intends to plea differently down the road.

MOO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would assume that almost anyone would plead "not guilty" at this point in order to try and get the best deal from the prosecutor. Since this case will be moved up a level, there is no prosecution in place with which to make a deal.

I personally suspect the lawsuit was a major stressor, but not directly involved in his motive.

I would assume that almost anyone would plead "not guilty" at this point in order to try and get the best deal from the prosecutor. Since this case will be moved up a level, there is no prosecution in place with which to make a deal.

I personally suspect the lawsuit was a major stressor, but not directly involved in his motive.
Absolutely. I think we've all seen almost every defendant plea "not guilty," and rightly so. It's up to the government (prosecution) to prove the case.

The plea could change later, but if it doesn't, it remains the prosecutor's burden to prove it.

I know I'm talking to a knowledgeable crowd here who has seen this in action before. The "not guilty" plea is to be expected.

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back