Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Gov. Andy Beshear, meanwhile, has formally requested Stines' resignation in a letter his counsel sent the sheriff Wednesday.

Beshear wants Stines to resign by Friday, the letter said. If he does not step down, Beshear plans to "move forward with removal" under a state statute that allows him to remove peace officers from their positions in cases of neglect of duty.
In court hearing, Kentucky sheriff accused of killing judge in Letcher County pleads not guilty

ETA this may be what PD Miller was referring to when he mentioned that Stines "may" be losing his job soon so his salary shouldn't be considered when determining if Stines qualified as indigent.

The assumption that the judge was "involved" in something deserving of payback is troubling to me, especially here. Particularly when there hasn't been so much as a hint in MSM so far that anything of the sort is the case.

Thus far the only one "involved" in anything appears to be the Sheriff, who was involved in a civil suit due to his position of power over a deputy who engaged in criminal behavior. JMO
Given the circumstances, I think it's safe to say that Stines himself made the assumption that the judge was involved in something (real or imagined) that he deserved payback for.

I also think it's safe to say that whatever that something was, was on both phones.

jmo

Given the circumstances, I think it's safe to say that Stines himself made the assumption that the judge was involved in something (real or imagined) that he deserved payback for.

I also think it's safe to say that whatever that something was, was on both phones.

jmo
disagree but only time and more info will tell.

IMO it's just as possible that Stines was involved in something he thought the judge was going to bring to light - shrug.

again, only time will tell. right now we have a victim and an accused murderer and that is pretty much it.

disagree but only time and more info will tell.

IMO it's just as possible that Stines was involved in something he thought the judge was going to bring to light - shrug.

again, only time will tell. right now we have a victim and an accused murderer and that is pretty much it.
Right. We don't know much of anything yet.

jmo

Gov. Andy Beshear, meanwhile, has formally requested Stines' resignation in a letter his counsel sent the sheriff Wednesday.

Beshear wants Stines to resign by Friday, the letter said. If he does not step down, Beshear plans to "move forward with removal" under a state statute that allows him to remove peace officers from their positions in cases of neglect of duty.
In court hearing, Kentucky sheriff accused of killing judge in Letcher County pleads not guilty

ETA this may be what PD Miller was referring to when he mentioned that Stines "may" be losing his job soon so his salary shouldn't be considered when determining if Stines qualified as indigent.
From what I just read from the above Louisville Courier Journal newspaper article, Stines virtually appeared before a regional District Court Judge at Grayson in Carter County for an arraignment hearing this morning.

It looks like that Stines will probably have to appear in person next week at West Liberty in Morgan County for his preliminary hearing, likely before the same judge.

I haven't seen anything at this time that said his preliminary hearing will be virtual.

The arraignment hearing for Stines this morning was to enter a plea, and to ascertain if he was represented by an attorney.

The preliminary hearing for Stines next week is to decide whether to forward the case to a grand jury, and possibly set bail on the murder charge.

In Kentucky, the state is divided into judicial districts. Depending on the area in Kentucky, a judicial district may cover one county, or it may cover more than one county.

Stines appeared this morning before a regional District Court Judge from the 37th Judicial District that covers Carter, Elliott, and Morgan Counties in Kentucky.

From what I have always heard from kinfolks about multi county judicial districts in Kentucky, a judge in the district and circuit courts could hold hearings in certain counties on certain days during a week, or they could hold hearings in certain counties during certain weeks. It depends on the judges and their court dockets.

Here are some interesting info about the judicial district that Stines had his court hearing today.

Source:

Kentucky Judicial District Carter County

I haven't seen anything at this time that said his preliminary hearing will be virtual.
Indeed, the Commonwealth asked how Stines would be transported for the preliminary hearing and the judge said he would make a request to the state police.

It is indisputable that Stines shot and killed the judge, so his fighting this with a not guilty plea tells me also that he wants his motive to be out in the open <modsnip>

If Stines motive shines light on serious bad actions/actors, malfeasance, etc... there are those who will actively seek to hit a big dimmer switch (if not cut the power out completely). Just sayin'.

jmo

Hmmm.... would this statute be included in link I posted several pages back? Ohhh heck, I probably just confused everyone by that KRS Chapter 15 link. lol

Last edited:
Per the Audit report posted earlier, he put the following into his retirement account..
2020 - $100,380
2021 - $ 85,122
2022 - $ 70,744
So he makes $115K/year and I'm assuming he pays taxes on that so the take-home is less than $115. Yet, he's putting that amount into retirement? Wow, that's some money management.

jmo

So he makes $115K/year and I'm assuming he pays taxes on that so the take-home is less than $115. Yet, he's putting that amount into retirement? Wow, that's some money management.

jmo

Most employee sponsored plans have contribution limits under $30k per year, depending on age and other factors. How did he sock away that much without 9ger contributing? Unless he put a ton in a non-deductible IRA but that wouldn't be a smart move.

jmo
Wouldn't that be likely to include some matching contributions from the County's offered plan?

In addition, I didn't see the original source of his salary being $125k, but if the $115k is his listed/official salary, then overtime, hazard pay, etc might add dramatically to that.

MOO

Wouldn't that be likely to include some matching contributions from the County's offered plan?

In addition, I didn't see the original source of his salary being $125k, but if the $115k is his listed/official salary, then overtime, hazard pay, etc might add dramatically to that.

MOO
How much do you think he is making to afford to put $70-100,000 per year into retirement?

jmo

Most employee sponsored plans have contribution limits under $30k per year, depending on age and other factors. How did he sock away that much without 9ger contributing? Unless he put a ton in a non-deductible IRA but that wouldn't be a smart move.
It could be a state match up to a certain amount. Indiana use to do it for state employees. Not sure if the sheriff is married, but let's say he is. Maybe his wife makes decent money and they live off her money, allowing him to deposit as much as possible into the state match retirement account.... see where I'm going. This of course is just a big what if, because I have no idea if any of this is true in this case.

WTVQ-TV from Lexington, Kentucky reported that clad in a drab gray uniform, the Letcher County Sheriff was flanked by a public defender and a jailer as he pleaded not guilty during his virtual court hearing this morning.

Stines appeared before a special judge, Carter County District Judge H. Rupert Wilhoit III.

There were no discussion of a bond during the hearing, and the judge indicated that the maximum punishment in the case would be the death penalty.

Even though Stines is being represented by a public defender for now, the judge warned Stines that the trial court could require him to pay for his own attorney.

Source:

Letcher County Sheriff Pleas Not Guilty At Arraignment

Last edited:
Note 2. Employee Retirement System and Other Post-Employment Benefits
The sheriff’s office has elected to participate, pursuant to KRS 78.530, in the County Employees Retirement
System (CERS), which is administered by the Kentucky Public Pensions Authority (KPPA).
This is a cost-sharing, multiple-employer, defined benefit pension plan, which covers all eligible full-time employees and provides for retirement, disability, and death benefits to plan members. Benefit contributions and provisions are
established by statute.
The sheriff’s contribution for calendar year 2020 was $100,380, calendar year 2021 was $85,122, and calendar
year 2022 was $70,744

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Herbstreit926
Back