Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I had a thought about the two-phone comparison yesterday while discussing this case with a friend.

I'm thinking the format at issue might have been a string of text messages.

Let's say whoever owns phone A had deleted some parts of an exchange that person had with the Judge.

Stines can't see what's been deleted, until he looks at the phone B, the Judge's phone, where those parts of the exchange have not been deleted.

Stines would need to bring phone A with him and look back and forth between the two phones in order to see where the missing bits happened in the sequence, to put the communications in context.

It also makes sense to me that if whatever was on that message exchange was volatile enough to send Stines into a murderous rage, he would not want to delete the evidence from the Judge's phone because that is what justifies, in his mind at least, the shooting. His defense, as it were. (Even though as a Sheriff, he knows without a doubt that the legal system won't see it that way).

MOO
Isn't it the closest friends who can deliver the most damaging, painful betrayals - "the unkindest cut of them all" as Shakespeare said in Julius Caesar? I'm guessing that's why Stines reaction was so quick and total - Judge Mullins had committed something Stines saw as a great betrayal.

I think it's the other way around -- the two phones were the judge's and someone else's, and it's the sheriff's own phone that wasn't involved. MOO

IMO, I don't think we've heard the end of this task of "phone comparison" before the murder.

We know that two sources have reported the event differently beginning with the suspect and victim exchanging phones to compare, and the second report where Stines is holding two phones in each of his hands, and only Stines is doing a comparison.

In the later, Mullins allegedly handed Stines his phone voluntarily. MOO

Last edited:
That why I'm wondering if someone was ON the phone, in a call or video-chat, during the ordeal.

jmo
A live call/video chat might explain why Stines allegedly set the phone down, shot Mullins, and picked up and viewed the phone a second time before leaving it on the desk and exiting the Chambers. But this wouldn't explain Stines comparing the two phones. JMO

A live call/video chat might explain why Stines allegedly set the phone down, shot Mullins, and picked up and viewed the phone a second time before leaving it on the desk and exiting the Chambers. But this wouldn't explain Stines comparing the two phones. JMO
Possibly, he sent a text from one phone to see if it was received by the other.

I had a thought about the two-phone comparison yesterday while discussing this case with a friend.

I'm thinking the format at issue might have been a string of text messages.

Let's say whoever owns phone A had deleted some parts of an exchange that person had with the Judge.

Stines can't see what's been deleted, until he looks at the phone B, the Judge's phone, where those parts of the exchange have not been deleted.

Stines would need to bring phone A with him and look back and forth between the two phones in order to see where the missing bits happened in the sequence, to put the communications in context.

It also makes sense to me that if whatever was on that message exchange was volatile enough to send Stines into a murderous rage, he would not want to delete the evidence from the Judge's phone because that is what justifies, in his mind at least, the shooting. His defense, as it were. (Even though as a Sheriff, he knows without a doubt that the legal system won't see it that way).

MOO
If that's the case, then it confirms premeditation.

They didn't look at the phones until after Stines had asked people to leave and walked into the Judge's Office, closing the door and locking it behind him. In his mind at least, he was harbouring something volatile enough to kill a man before he stepped into the office area he had cleared of bystanders IMO.

If that's the case, then it confirms premeditation.

They didn't look at the phones until after Stines had asked people to leave and walked into the Judge's Office, closing the door and locking it behind him. In his mind at least, he was harbouring something volatile enough to kill a man before he stepped into the office area he had cleared of bystanders IMO.
That makes sense to me.

The sheriff appears to have decided to confront the judge in private before the exchange of phones. JMO.

'Just jumping off your post (not directed at you)

But, who would have initiated the call... the Judge? Did Stines force Mullins to make the call from Mullins phone? Or did Stines exchange phones with Mullins and initiate the call on Mullins' phone... then, depending on who answered the call confirmed whatever Stines suspected?

Last edited:
'Just jumping off your post (not directed at you)

But, who would have initiated the call... the Judge? Did Stines force Mullins to make the call from Mullins phone? Or did Stines exchange phones with Mullins and initiate the call on Mullins' phone... then, depending on who answered the call confirmed whatever Stines suspected?

Sorry, I can't opine on this because I doubt there was any live call here because I'm more inclined to believe that Stines was holding two phones in his hands doing a phone comparison-- probably of a text string. Why he looked at the phone a second time after shooting Mullins is my question -- maybe to commit something to memory? MOO

County Jailers in KY. Qualifications to Run for Office?
I'm a native of Kentucky that is living outside of Kentucky, and I can confirm that yes, the jailer is an elected position in Kentucky.

The jailer operates the county jail, transports county jail inmates to their court hearings, and also transports county jail inmates that are sentenced to serve a prison term in the state prison.
I will point out that some areas in Kentucky have their own county jails and some areas have regional jails.

Just about anyone can run for the county jailer position in Kentucky.

My goodness, I've heard of people that never had any kind of law enforcement experience or any kind of experience working in jails running for election to the county jailer position.

Personally, I think anyone running for election to the county jailer position should have law enforcement experience or have some experience working in jails.
One thing is for sure. If Stines is convicted, his prison sentence will be longer than five years, and it will definitely be served in a state prison.
snipped for focus. @nerosleuth TYVM. Oh, the things we learn on WS!
From ^: "Just about anyone can run for the county jailer position in Kentucky."
You pretty well NAILED it.

JAILER. 4 year term. "At the time of election, must be at least 24 years of age, a citizen of Kentucky, has resided in the State 2 years, and 1 year next preceding his election in the county and district in which he is a candidate."

Oh, yeah, must also pony up $50.00 filing fee. :)
^ Qualifications & Filing Fees - State Board of Elections
This url starts w "elect.ky.gov" so, reading it as official qualifications, tho not quoting KY. statute.

Plus more, but again, no source.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member