Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I kinda don't see it going to trial . I think he will plea.
I also wonder if he was on facetime with someone .
I think he will go to trial. Pleading not guilty (of murder), his counsel entering the phones, or their legally transcribed data as a defense to guilt. If the phones contain graphic pics or explicit texts (as I surmise they do/did to cause this), and the jury is hometown/county/middle aged up, he will walk or be convicted of a much lesser charge. There are some folks who still understand how such activities can affect a person. They put themselves in the position/or possibly have been in that position or situation. It only takes one to stall the case. I see something in the sudden and timely appearance of the atty who heads the Public Defender stat office.

I think he will go to trial. Pleading not guilty (of murder), his counsel entering the phones, or their legally transcribed data as a defense to guilt. If the phones contain graphic pics or explicit texts (as I surmise they do/did to cause this), and the jury is hometown/county/middle aged up, he will walk or be convicted of a much lesser charge. There are some folks who still understand how such activities can affect a person. They put themselves in the position/or possibly have been in that position or situation. It only takes one to stall the case. I see something in the sudden and timely appearance of the atty who heads the Public Defender stat office.
I think we are all waiting for his big explanation....but right now the area has no judge and no functioning sheriff.

What happens to his benefits and retirement if he resigns?

This guy sure has ruined a lot of lives!
All JMO.

I don't think Stines resignation would be different than any other. There's likely an option for his family to retain any health insurance via COBRA if they can pay the premiums. Relative to retirement, I don't believe his retirement is from a union trust but by the County where he'd be 100% vested and his retirement funds belong to him as the contributions are paid. JMO

I'm recalling the 1999 TX case of David Temple, a football coach at a Houston area high school, twice convicted of shooting his pregnant wife, Belinda. He was placed on paid administrative leave by the School District following the shooting, and continued to collect a paycheck for 4+ years until his arrest in 2004, and via union intervention, continued being paid until a jury found him guilty in 2007. In other words, he was paid with benefits for more than 7 years following the murder of his wife! And he expected to be paid during his appeal too! David is a bad dude. Belinda Temple's murder has a thread on WS.

Last edited:
I believe that Stines’ showing up with a PD is very telling. This man surely knows every attorney in his county. I don’t believe for one second that he hasn’t had the opportunity to call an attorney. Even if his phone was confiscated (and I’m certain it was, of course), all he would have to do is ask a family member to call or name a name to someone at the jail, and he would get the number. The fact that he has not done so suggests to me that he does not plan to fight the charges he is facing. All moo.

I believe that Stines’ showing up with a PD is very telling. This man surely knows every attorney in his county. I don’t believe for one second that he hasn’t had the opportunity to call an attorney. Even if his phone was confiscated (and I’m certain it was, of course), all he would have to do is ask a family member to call or name a name to someone at the jail, and he would get the number. The fact that he has not done so suggests to me that he does not plan to fight the charges he is facing. All moo.
Or, he has no intention of paying for legal counsel and expected a public defender all along and perhaps even a specific lawyer, which is what I'm thinking. imo

jmo

Or, he has no intention of paying for legal counsel and expected a public defender all along and perhaps even a specific lawyer, which is what I'm thinking. imo

jmo
I appreciate that perspective, and I think it is a valid interpretation. But I’m leaning towards the idea that the Sheriff eliminated a witness to something when he killed the judge. And he (the sheriff) can plead the fifth to anything he might be accused of. So, if there is some sort of federal investigation going on, the evidence would be entirely circumstantial. If there is no trial for the killing of the judge, there is limited discovery and no testimony on the record that can facilitate any other investigation. My thought is that the sheriff is banking on being able to save face in some other matter, take his licks for the killing of the judge, and not bankrupt his family.

Eta: all imo

I appreciate that perspective, and I think it is a valid interpretation. But I’m leaning towards the idea that the Sheriff eliminated a witness to something when he killed the judge. And he (the sheriff) can plead the fifth to anything he might be accused of. So, if there is some sort of federal investigation going on, the evidence would be entirely circumstantial. If there is no trial for the killing of the judge, there is limited discovery and no testimony on the record that can facilitate any other investigation. My thought is that the sheriff is banking on being able to save face in some other matter, take his licks for the killing of the judge, and not bankrupt his family.

Any defendant has the right not to testify against himself. The sheriff is not unique in that regard.

I do not think prosecution will drop charges, even if there is another investigation going on. You cannot simply kill someone and not expect charges. Why would there be no trial?

jmo

I can't imagine Stines refusing to resign. What benefit could retaining the position have for Stines??

(again, just wondering aloud)
I'm thinking that he won't resign and will try to keep his position as the Sheriff of Letcher County for as long as he can.

Since he has pleaded not guilty to the first degree murder charge, he can claim that he hasn't been convicted in a court of law on that charge, and that there is legal precedent for him to still be the Sheriff of Letcher County while he is awaiting his trial. That would allow him to still collect his paycheck and benefits for now.

I believe that the last time that a sheriff in Kentucky resigned from office was back in April of 2017.

In April of 2017, Jamie Kinman, the Sheriff of Carroll County, Kentucky resigned after pleading guilty to eleven charges relating to the theft of painkillers. Kinman was in his uniform when he stole painkillers from the home of a terminally ill person.

Carroll County, Kentucky is along the Ohio River and halfway between Louisville, Kentucky and Cincinnati, Ohio.

Source:

Kentucky Sheriff Accused Of Stealing Painkillers Resigns

Gov. Andy Beshear calls for resignation of jailed Letcher County Sheriff​

Letcher Co. Sheriff Mickey Stines is charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of local judge Kevin Mullins.

Letcher County Detention Center

Letcher Co. Sheriff Mickey Stines is charged with first-degree murder in the shooting death of local judge Kevin Mullins.

Gov. Andy Beshear is asking for the resignation of Letcher County Sheriff Mickey Stines.

Stines, 43, was arrested last week for the alleged shooting death of Letcher District Court Judge Kevin Mullins, 54.

In a letter dated Sept. 25, Beshear called on Stines to step down by the end of the day Friday, and if he declines, Beshear said he would begin the process of removing him from office. State law allows the governor to remove a peace officer for neglect of duty.

"One of the most important roles of state government is to provide safety to our people, and right now, Letcher County doesn't have an active and working sheriff," Beshear said during a news briefing on Thursday

Any defendant has the right not to testify against himself. The sheriff is not unique in that regard.

I do not think prosecution will drop charges, even if there is another investigation going on. You cannot simply kill someone and not expect charges. Why would there be no trial?

jmo
I think he will plead guilty or hope for a plea deal. The initial not guilty plea was perfunctory.

I think he will plead guilty or hope for a plea deal. The initial not guilty plea was perfunctory.
Yes, I understand that possibility. I've been watching crimes for a long time and have seen many scenarios play out, lol!

That just doesn't fit the video evidence with the cell phones, imoo. I think he will absolutely fight the charges. Besides, what does it get him to beat federal charges if it costs him a guilty plea to murder?? moo

Gov. Andy Beshear calls for resignation of jailed Letcher County Sheriff​

Letcher County Detention Center

Gov. Andy Beshear is asking for the resignation of Letcher County Sheriff Mickey Stines.

Stines, 43, was arrested last week for the alleged shooting death of Letcher District Court Judge Kevin Mullins, 54.

In a letter dated Sept. 25, Beshear called on Stines to step down by the end of the day Friday, and if he declines, Beshear said he would begin the process of removing him from office. State law allows the governor to remove a peace officer for neglect of duty.

"One of the most important roles of state government is to provide safety to our people, and right now, Letcher County doesn't have an active and working sheriff," Beshear said during a news briefing on Thursday
There is one; he is not neglecting his duty, he is locked up and cannot be active and working. Gov is whistling in the dark, he should be implementing such actions as he will be able to in stead of writing letters....

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slowloris
Back