Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
He has a constitutional right to face his accuser in court.
If the victim went and reported it immeadiately, rape kit done, statements/interviews done, then she dies. Is it not the State's obligation to still prosecute? I'm not saying that's the situation, we don't know, but was he prosecuted for her rape before she passed?

Garbage article. Basically they took the rumors we’ve all seen, then asked police if they were true, to which police gave the boilerplate answer that everything is on the table.

'Our investigators seized the two cell phones and they're being analyzed.'
Honestly, it would take all of 15 seconds to look at both phones and figure out exactly how and why whatever it was on both of them, seemed central to what Stines did.

jmo

Honestly, it would take all of 15 seconds to look at both phones and figure out exactly how and why whatever it was on both of them, seemed central to what Stines did.

jmo
Oh for sure. The judge’s phone would have been open to whatever he was looking at. So they’d know that, and if it jibes with whatever Stines has claimed.

Private Security Agency?
.... In the mean time, since he's not performing his duty, case law allows the court to hire a private security agency and guess who pays for it? IMO I don't see how not resigning helps him in this case
snipped for focus @acehard

From a quick search, I did not find anything that case or statute that seemed was relevant re court hiring a private security agency or who would pay for it. Could have missed it.

I'd appreciate a link to the court opinion or news stories.
@acehard ? Anyone?

Garbage article. Basically they took the rumors we’ve all seen, then asked police if they were true, to which police gave the boilerplate answer that everything is on the table.

-Cops are investigating a 'sex scandal' motive among other leads in the sensational death of judge Kevin Mullins who was allegedly murdered by the sheriff of his tiny Appalachian community, DailyMail.com can exclusively reveal.

Lurid sexual allegations about married district judge Mullins began circulating almost immediately among some folk in and around the small town of Whitesburg, where the killing happened on the afternoon of September 19

-Kentucky State Police, the lead agency in the investigation, confirmed to DailyMail.com that detectives were including the sex claims among many other lines of inquiry as a possible reason for the baffling killing.

Asked if the allegations were in the mix, Trooper Matt Gayheart said: 'Absolutely. We are not ruling out anything as a possible motive.

-'The whole thing will be investigated thoroughly. It's just going to take some time to make sure we can make the right determination. It could be weeks, it could be months.

Totally agree with you on “garbage article” by DM.

Since that rumor is now acknowledged via the DMail, I’m hoping it’s okay to mention that a account has been created by a sister-in-law of the Sheriff’s wife, making the wife and daughter of the Sheriff the beneficiaries.

In her statement she assures donors the money is strictly for the wife and daughter’s living expenses (not for legal expenses) and that there is no truth to those rumors regarding- any abuse. I don’t want to repeat the rumors, though she does, out of respect to the Judge.

Totally agree with you on “garbage article” by DM.

Since that rumor is now acknowledged via the DMail, I’m hoping it’s okay to mention that a account has been created by a sister-in-law of the Sheriff’s wife, making the wife and daughter of the Sheriff the beneficiaries.

In her statement she assures donors the money is strictly for the wife and daughter’s living expenses (not for legal expenses) and that there is no truth to those rumors regarding- any abuse. I don’t want to repeat the rumors, though she does, out of respect to the Judge.
I guess I can’t say what type of account was created. It involves a fundraising company.

-Cops are investigating a 'sex scandal' motive among other leads in the sensational death of judge Kevin Mullins who was allegedly murdered by the sheriff of his tiny Appalachian community, DailyMail.com can exclusively reveal.

Lurid sexual allegations about married district judge Mullins began circulating almost immediately among some folk in and around the small town of Whitesburg, where the killing happened on the afternoon of September 19

-Kentucky State Police, the lead agency in the investigation, confirmed to DailyMail.com that detectives were including the sex claims among many other lines of inquiry as a possible reason for the baffling killing.

Asked if the allegations were in the mix, Trooper Matt Gayheart said: 'Absolutely. We are not ruling out anything as a possible motive.

-'The whole thing will be investigated thoroughly. It's just going to take some time to make sure we can make the right determination. It could be weeks, it could be months.

Two interesting bits to me.

The Sheriff was acting "erratically" since Labor Day, "He was quieter than usual and had stopped regular communications with the community and the press" accorded to the local newspaper The Mountain Eagle.'

The other was:

"Stines admitted to the paper that he was having 'some issues' and revealed he shed 40lbs from his hulking 300lb frame in just two weeks."

So wondering what caused the Sheriff to stop communicating with the community (the article did mention the Sheriff deleting the Office's Facebook page because of comments it was getting and a court case he was involved in being possibly affected) and the local press, all while losing 40 lbs off his 300 lb frame, in just two weeks.

It seems the man was very stressed with "issues"and acting "eradically" well before this past Thursday. Sounds like the murder may have been a built-up not a spur of the moment action. AJMO

I agree it is kind of a garbage article. But two things I find interesting are that there were initially 2 shots and the judge was known to carry a gun. Could the judge have shot first and missed? Cops are trained to empty their magazine if they shoot so I have never considered the 8 shots to be anything but normal. A cop would not fire 2 and then 6 more.

I agree it is kind of a garbage article. But two things I find interesting are that there were initially 2 shots and the judge was known to carry a gun. Could the judge have shot first and missed? Cops are trained to empty their magazine if they shoot so I have never considered the 8 shots to be anything but normal. A cop would not fire 2 and then 6 more.
Where does the statement that "Cops are trained to empty their magazine if they shoot" come from? I've never heard of that before.

I've only heard about training for "stopping the threat" when police shoot a suspect. That doesn't mean they don't often fire many rounds including emptying their magazine, I just don't think they are trained to do that in every circumstance.

Officers use deadly force on a suspect they perceive to be an imminent threat of death or bodily harm to the officers or others. In training, police are told to use force until that person no longer presents a threat, Stoughton said.
The number of shots it takes to “terminate a threat” depends on the circumstances.

I think we’d know. We’ve heard the account as to how this went down, thanks to apparent surveillance footage that captured it. It appears he fired, walked up to him, and gave the coup de grace when he was already down (remaining shots at point blank). That explains the delay.

The training isn’t to empty one’s magazine, it’s to fire until the threat is neutralized. This looks like a cold blooded execution to me, based on the way those shots occurred, quick first degree murder charges, and nothing in the account that provides for some sort self defense scenario.

This guy apparently looked at the judge’s phone again after it was done, which is further evidence of calculation.

Some additional information I have found but can't post to the main thread. I don't think these are very relevant but posting in case folks want to dive deeper.

Lila Stines is on the varsity archery team at her school

Caroline Stines works as food service director for Childers Oil Company which operates convenience stores, gas stations, and at least one restaurant in a couple of states.

A google search provided that info a few days ago. I've known that oil company's owners and family for years and they are very respectable/good people... many in the area know them. I'm unclear as to how further digging would benefit us in understanding the shooting. But, I guess someone will let us know if they find something incriminating.

jmo

Last edited:
If the victim went and reported it immeadiately, rape kit done, statements/interviews done, then she dies. Is it not the State's obligation to still prosecute? I'm not saying that's the situation, we don't know, but was he prosecuted for her rape before she passed?
The victim died before the trial so the criminal charges previously filed against the defendant related to this victim were dropped. Again, this is a matter of law where it be a violation of a defendant's constitutional right (i.e., Sixth Amendment) which guarantees the right to face and question your accuser in Court.

The victim died before the trial so the criminal charges previously filed against the defendant related to this victim were dropped. Again, this is a matter of law where it be a violation of a defendant's constitutional right (i.e., Sixth Amendment) which guarantees the right to face and question your accuser in Court.
I mean…. John Doe shoots and kills Jane Doe. Jane is dead, but criminal proceedings continue without Jane, and thank god, because then all killers would never be charged since they can’t face the accuser in court…. I know it’s extreme but trying to prove a point. Moo

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustygirl1600
Back