Kentucky - Judge killed, sheriff arrested in Letcher County courthouse shooting - Sep. 19, 2024

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The Commonwealth Attorney for Letcher County, Matt Butler, had only recently been appointed (in July) to replace Edison Banks. He is now running against Banks who seems to have changed his mind about retiring. Matt Butler for Commonwealth’s Attorney, 47th Circuit

Butler was the judge's brother-in-law and is in charge of prosecuting felonies in the county. He has to be re-elected this year so he hit the ground running prosecuting some major cases. I'm wondering if something about those cases was personal to the sheriff.

There is some seriously bad blood between Butler and Banks. Stines' office arrested Banks's CNA for meth and fentanyl possession.

what is a CNA?

I expect the town will be divided into:
* people who were in on whatever happened but now pretend they were not
* people who were duped and are angry about it
* people who were duped and still believe in "the great guys" and these folks will be angry at anyone suggesting otherwise.

Or, it all will be swept under a rug with a big ol' heavy piece of furniture put on top that everyone agrees should never be moved to reveal what's under it.

jmo
IMO I feel like Canton, Massachusetts has a similar divide amongst their townspeople.

what is a CNA?
CNA is Certified Nurse Assistant.

I recommend reading the full MSM link. Much to digest there. Retiring (?) Banks had a heart attack in 2021 and was on sick leave for at least 18 of the last 37 months. He needed 24 hour homecare and hired a CNA. In 2023, Banks CNA was cited for speeding while driving Banks vehicle, and was then arrested for trafficking in a controlled substance (methamphetamine) and other drug-related charges.

For reasons unknown to Sheriff Stines, a Perry County Judge dropped the charges after a special prosecutor failed to answer a motion by the defense that the evidence be suppressed. Stines could not get an answer as to why the Commonwealth and defense filed a joint Motion to dismiss the case.

Commonwealth Attorney Butler appointed in July was brother-in-law to Judge Mullins. Their wives are sisters.

7/3/24 -- Butler appointed to replace Edison G. Banks II - The Mountain Eagle

I'm not seeing anything in your link about hiring private security for courts.

(1) In any county, if the sheriff fails or refuses to provide certified peace officers or certified security officers for the provision of security services to any court of the Court of Justice, then the Administrative Office of the Courts shall contract with a county, urban-county, charter county, consolidated local government, combined local government agency, or an agency of a city government to provide security services to any court of the Court of Justice in the county where the sheriff has failed or refused to provide such services.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hey2you22
Back