KS KS - Adam Herrman, 11, Towanda, 1999

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
http://www.kansascw.com/Global/story.asp?S=9634314

(snips)
Winslow says she doesn't always get along with her sister, who she calls an evil, spiteful person. But Winslow says she hasn't stopped thinking about Adam and the last time she saw him in 1999. She says he was locked in the bathroom of the family's home in Towanda, the same place investigators searched last month.
"All day long no one took water in to him, no one took food in to him, nothing," she said. "Later on, I made a comment about taking a plate to Adam, and she told me in so many words that Adam doesn't deserve to eat."

Eyewitness News also spoke with Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy. He says that the Herrmans are talking to the media more than they are to investigators. He says he is listening to the claims they are making and comparing their stories to the evidence that's being collected.

I was taken from my parents when I was 12 (just 30 days away from 13) and it was for child abandonment. The messed up thing about it was that my father had custody of me and I lived at my mom's, well she and I had a fight, she drives me home to my dad's, my dad drives me back, mom won't open the door, the cops show up and take me to a group home. Dad gets charged with abandonment, when it should have been my mom.

Anyway I was never abused EVER, and I stayed in CPS for 4 years until I was 17. I saw kids in the system who were far worse off then I, I had no business being in foster care wasting valuable resources.

So yes it is VERY backwards. They shovel them in and hurry to get them out.

I'm so sorry Hayley :(
You are indeed one of the *children of the system* that I was referring to. Sadly there are so many cases such as yours ..Thousands

People really do fail to understand that Adoption / Foster Care is a Mega BIllion Dollar INDUSTRY..

Sadly also people who speak up for adoptees (or foster children's) rights whether they be children or adults are considered automatically anti adoption....

http://www.kansascw.com/Global/story.asp?S=9634314

(snips)
Winslow says she doesn't always get along with her sister, who she calls an evil, spiteful person. But Winslow says she hasn't stopped thinking about Adam and the last time she saw him in 1999. She says he was locked in the bathroom of the family's home in Towanda, the same place investigators searched last month.
"All day long no one took water in to him, no one took food in to him, nothing," she said. "Later on, I made a comment about taking a plate to Adam, and she told me in so many words that Adam doesn't deserve to eat."

Eyewitness News also spoke with Butler County Sheriff Craig Murphy. He says that the Herrmans are talking to the media more than they are to investigators. He says he is listening to the claims they are making and comparing their stories to the evidence that's being collected.

:furious:

The Aunt should have done something. But sadly people are also frightened that by doing something, like taking that plate of food to him my enrage the abuser even more
But that is where people need to REPORT IT.

Seeing a child locked in a bathroom all day with no water or food and the so called *mother* ha what a joke - stating he doesnt deserve to eat is a definite abuse that needs to be reported. Because you can guarantee its not the first time.

To elaborate a little on situations like Haylees it is often children of custody disputes and divorces that get dragged off to foster care with no proof of any wrongdoing ... Just lots of lies - people hurt so they make stuff up...to hurt the other person..sadly they end up hurting their children more.

The case I provided a link for a utube piece is a classic example of that :(
A Child caught up in a vicious fight between parents where the father alleges child abuse from the mother and the state swoops in takes the child and doesnt just foster her and look into it but gives her UP FOR ADOPTION , name change everything ....forever ...

But allows the (so called abusive mother) to keep the other two children ?

Yeah right :rolleyes:

And while their resources are tied up in crap like that and like Haylees situation babies like BabyP in the UK (I know diff country but you get the point ) are DYING because child services repeatedly turn a blind eye to the abuse ...

From everything I read its very likely that Adam and siblings should never have been adopted out either. But rather the mother should have had some counseling and help after the husband left

I'm so sorry Hayley :(
You are indeed one of the *children of the system* that I was referring to. Sadly there are so many cases such as yours ..Thousands

People really do fail to understand that Adoption / Foster Care is a Mega BIllion Dollar INDUSTRY..

Sadly also people who speak up for adoptees (or foster children's) rights whether they be children or adults are considered automatically anti adoption....

Don't be sorry :) I am a much stronger person and it has helped me become a better person, wife and most importantly a better mother. It helped shape and mold me.

:furious:

The Aunt should have done something. But sadly people are also frightened that by doing something, like taking that plate of food to him my enrage the abuser even more
But that is where people need to REPORT IT.

Seeing a child locked in a bathroom all day with no water or food and the so called *mother* ha what a joke - stating he doesnt deserve to eat is a definite abuse that needs to be reported. Because you can guarantee its not the first time.

To elaborate a little on situations like Haylees it is often children of custody disputes and divorces that get dragged off to foster care with no proof of any wrongdoing ... Just lots of lies - people hurt so they make stuff up...to hurt the other person..sadly they end up hurting their children more.

The case I provided a link for a utube piece is a classic example of that :(
A Child caught up in a vicious fight between parents where the father alleges child abuse from the mother and the state swoops in takes the child and doesnt just foster her and look into it but gives her UP FOR ADOPTION , name change everything ....forever ...

But allows the (so called abusive mother) to keep the other two children ?

Yeah right :rolleyes:

And while their resources are tied up in crap like that and like Haylees situation babies like BabyP in the UK (I know diff country but you get the point ) are DYING because child services repeatedly turn a blind eye to the abuse ...

From everything I read its very likely that Adam and siblings should never have been adopted out either. But rather the mother should have had some counseling and help after the husband left
ITA! with you most importantly the bolded. It is simple counseling, parenting classes, emergency help if needed, find the right resources, and monitoring. Many cases are run through the ringer, and I can understand the case workers taking the pre-cautions that they do to make sure they aren't turning out kids back to horrible homes and parents who are abusing them. IDK where I am going with this, but I believe someone failed this boy and I hope someone finally does something to prevent this from happening again, it's too bad it could take something like this to open up some eyes.

Don't be sorry :) I am a much stronger person and it has helped me become a better person, wife and most importantly a better mother. It helped shape and mold me.

ITA! with you most importantly the bolded. It is simple counseling, parenting classes, emergency help if needed, find the right resources, and monitoring. Many cases are run through the ringer, and I can understand the case workers taking the pre-cautions that they do to make sure they aren't turning out kids back to horrible homes and parents who are abusing them. IDK where I am going with this, but I believe someone failed this boy and I hope someone finally does something to prevent this from happening again, it's too bad it could take something like this to open up some eyes.

Bolded by me

Sadly Haylee this is not going to change the system
Kids are still be ripped out their parents arms for BS reasons and *rehomed*
:rolleyes:
Kids are Like Commodities to many places :( people can argue with me all they want about that sentence but Ive read enough to know its TRUE.

Decent families are being ripped up whilst abused children are being overlooked and being abused or worse dying.

The trouble is I believe that there are a number of reasons this happens..
A) they don't care
b) they are so busy with these NON cases ripping out kids and rehoming them that they don't have time and the REAL cases are slipping through..

I don't know what the answer is

Hi Kimberlina if you read my post just up a bit that is exactly what i posted about

Very sad indeed and Im just about finished my blog Post about it on my Blog

ETA

Quoted from the site I linked above

That article had a few errors or wasn't real clear.

Medicaid is paid direct to the medical providers- it is like federal insurance. Must be income eligible. Requires at least annual recertification.

TANF (or whatever welfare is called these days) is given if the family's income is below the federal poverty guidelines and the amount they are given is a standard amount that increases with the number of persons in the household. Must be income eligible. Requires recertification, how often can vary according to state but usually at least every 6 months.

Adoption subsidy is what they are talking about with either a lump sum or ongoing payment. This is given for various reasons but usually if the adopted child is disabled in some way. It is supposed to assist the family in providing care for the child. For instance a child who is handicapped may require a lot of doctor's trips requiring the person to take off work and transportation costs. Or the adoptive parent might be needed to stay in the home and provide full time care. But I think sometimes they also receive it because the kid really needs a home and would be hard to find adoptive parents for some reason. I don't know when or if they require recertification or what that procedure is.

If they don't require recertification, even if the kid did run away that would provide a motive for not reporting it. Because if they didn't report then they could continue to receive the subsidy. In which case they could have recieved the subsidy for what 7 years or so after the kid left? It will be big bucks if that is so.

But I think it is more likely that this one, they knew what happened to the kid. But they wanted to keep getting the money and they didn't want to get caught for what happened.

Bolded by me

Sadly Haylee this is not going to change the system
Kids are still be ripped out their parents arms for BS reasons and *rehomed*
:rolleyes:
Kids are Like Commodities to many places :( people can argue with me all they want about that sentence but Ive read enough to know its TRUE.

Decent families are being ripped up whilst abused children are being overlooked and being abused or worse dying.

The trouble is I believe that there are a number of reasons this happens..
A) they don't care
b) they are so busy with these NON cases ripping out kids and rehoming them that they don't have time and the REAL cases are slipping through..

I don't know what the answer is

I appreciate your advocacy and CLEARLY the system is in dire need of an overhaul, but I don't know how I can respond to that.

Child welfare can only help children when there is a report of abuse or neglect. I am very capable of telling the difference between a custody dispute and child abuse. However, you have no idea how many people will call CPS because they're mad at someone. We have to investigate EVERY claim because sometimes there is abuse going on in a custody case. I have also removed children because the parents won't stop fighting long enough to work services and ensure their child's safety, they just call in case after case on each other. That is one of the hardest things I have ever had to do.

You don't know what was going on with Adam's parents when the children were removed and neither do I. I also don't know what services were offered and whether or not the parents took advantage of them.

I also don't know the laws regarding removal in Kansas, but I do know them in Texas. I know that you can't just run in and take a kid and "rehome" them because you feel like it. I know that I am required to prove that I made every available effort to keep the children in the home or at least with family. I know that I am required to offer services before removing a child. Removing a child is a emotional and logistical nightmare and I don't know anyone who would do it just because.

I would estimate that 95% of the parents I see are doing the best they can and maybe need a little help, but that other 5% just don't care. I have seen parents lose medicaid for their child because they didn't feel like getting up for the phone interview, lose free daycare because they didn't feel like filling out the paperwork. I've seen them refuse counseling, even if I offer to pay for it. There are just some parents who don't care.

Turning this into an argument about CPS and foster care really is drawing the attention away from the true goal: finding the missing child or sadly, his remains.

Turning this into an argument about CPS and foster care really is drawing the attention away from the true goal: finding the missing child or sadly, his remains.

Except it appears to play a role in this case that leads us to where we are today, looking for a missing child or his remains. Fix one problem and you prevent the other from happening.

Except it appears to play a role in this case that leads us to where we are today, looking for a missing child or his remains. Fix one problem and you prevent the other from happening.

You are going to insist on being logical aren't you, lol:p

Until you find a way to tell the Future you won't 100% fix the system.( as far as picking who gets to adopt) JMO

Until you make everyone be truthful and turn in abuse when they see it. The system will stay broken.

Until you get state workers that DO their job 100% you will still have a broken system.

Until you can find a test to show who will or will not abuse a child . The system will stay broken.

I know first hand how ****ty the system is. Every Angel of the system.But until everyone works together it wont get fixed.

I am honestly shocked she was getting $700 for one child. That's a LOT and I am almost postive noone gets that much money in our state unless the child is so severe they can't meet any of their own needs. This leads me to believe she was getting a special rate for him and not a standard rate. ( could be for emoctional issues) but I could be wrong maybe other states it is just that much more.

You are going to insist on being logical aren't you, lol:p

Lol, yes I am. And it's easy for me. I'm not affected emotionally because I've personally never experienced the child welfare system. It's such an emotional issue on all sides for anyone who's gone through it. I feel for anyone who's had to go through it.

http://www.kwch.com/Global/story.asp?S=9639908&nav=menu486_2_2

(snipped and more at link)
Before the family lived in Towanda, the Herrmans lived in Derby. The Derby Police Department says in 1996, officers were called to the home to check whether Adam had been physically abused. The department referred the case to SRS. SRS spokesperson Michelle Ponce says the agency investigated but found nothing.

Okay so this boy that was found was in Mebane North Carolina

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...400069&orgPrefix=NCMU&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US

How far is that From Kansas ?

At first glance I was about to write it off and say uh uh no way thats not him But then I had another look and given that sketch artists are just that it isnt going to be the exact replica.

As far as arguing over the system (as such) I know I know there are parents out there that are Sh*Theads that don't deserve to have children I know that I get that !
But I am talking about a system that removes children wrongly

Just because You might be a good social worker doesn't mean that mary jane is. And its those social workers that DONT investigate fully and just want a easy life of it that are the ones messing up the system.

if You look at that link I gave for Shredded Society's utube video her story from Missouri you will plainly see that

Its heartbreaking to watch actually.

Okay so this boy that was found was in Mebane North Carolina

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...400069&orgPrefix=NCMU&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US

How far is that From Kansas ?

At first glance I was about to write it off and say uh uh no way thats not him But then I had another look and given that sketch artists are just that it isnt going to be the exact replica.

As far as arguing over the system (as such) I know I know there are parents out there that are Sh*Theads that don't deserve to have children I know that I get that !
But I am talking about a system that removes children wrongly

Just because You might be a good social worker doesn't mean that mary jane is. And its those social workers that DONT investigate fully and just want a easy life of it that are the ones messing up the system.

if You look at that link I gave for Shredded Society's utube video her story from Missouri you will plainly see that

Its heartbreaking to watch actually.

Adam went missing some time in 1999, right? His last credible siting was at a Super Bowl Party, so that would be January. The UID you have listed was discovered 1998, if I am reading this correctly.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties
Back