KS KS - DENNIS LYNN RADER, BTK Serial Killer

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“We’re hoping that releasing these, someone might recognize one of these barns or the unique features in them, or the closeness of the silo to the barn or possibly might have even found items that they didn’t know why were there that could be very important in this case,” Virden told CNN.
“Even if the barn’s not there anymore. We would still like that information.”
Just recently, law enforcement intercepted communications from Rader in prison revealing there may still be some hidden items in old barns, according to the sheriff.
Rader often sketched, according to his daughter Kerri Rawson. He honed the skills in a college drafting class, Rawson told CNN.

Attachments

• IMG_0593.jpeg
    IMG_0593.jpeg
    81.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0592.jpeg
    IMG_0592.jpeg
    42.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0589.jpeg
    IMG_0589.jpeg
    174.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0590.jpeg
    IMG_0590.jpeg
    110.9 KB · Views: 53
Posted 2 hours ago and it is 12:40 am EST (USA) 9/2. New disturbing drawings shown, Jean Casarez reports. (ETA this header)

Jean Casarez is the best. she is a brilliant reporter on crime. top drawer. Like a dear friend she has been with us on so many cases , countless important cases. She goes every where ...Her life must be so fascinating , I would love to hear some of her stories. mOO

That part confuses me too, but I bet he had lots of excuses that his wife didn't question until years later. If someone is devious they are more than capable of doing all kinds of crap and hiding their life from their family.
How about heading out to a 'non-existent' Scout Meeting or Scout Camp??

He was involved in Scouting and he may have used such an excuse to get out of the house without suspicion.

He was involved in Scouting and he may have used such an excuse to get out of the house without suspicion.

I assume since I do not know his wife personally she must have trusted him.
What years did he attend the non-existent Boy Scot meetings?
If pre-internet it would be hard for her to confirm without calling someone.
Maybe she liked having time away from him so didn't ask a lot of questions.

What I would question is how did he sneak out at night, kill then return without her noticing.
I have to read up on this case, I'm a bit rusty.

At least one of his murders was done in association with a Scout campout, where he was with his son. ISTR that he told the other leaders that he had to take care of something at home, and when he came back a few hours later, they didn't question him. Chances are, the campground was in or near Wichita so it wasn't like he had to travel several hours to get back there.

Like I've said elsewhere here, he also worked for the 1990 census, which required some traveling, and the security company sent him out of town many times.

“We’re hoping that releasing these, someone might recognize one of these barns or the unique features in them, or the closeness of the silo to the barn or possibly might have even found items that they didn’t know why were there that could be very important in this case,” Virden told CNN.
Just recently, law enforcement intercepted communications from Rader in prison revealing there may still be some hidden items in old barns, according to the sheriff.
Rader often sketched, according to his daughter Kerri Rawson. He honed the skills in a college drafting class, Rawson told CNN.

This reminds me of that Samuel Little guy, who remembered what all his victims looked like and drew them in crayon, and several unsolved murders have been attributed to him, whether before or after his death.

Here's an interview with Ms. Rawson, which does include some graphic photos. It aired about a week ago, and just got posted on YouTube today. There is a disclaimer at the beginning of the video; if you are squeamish, you probably shouldn't watch this.

I assume since I do not know his wife personally she must have trusted him.
What years did he attend the non-existent Boy Scot meetings?
If pre-internet it would be hard for her to confirm without calling someone.
Maybe she liked having time away from him so didn't ask a lot of questions.

What I would question is how did he sneak out at night, kill then return without her noticing.
I have to read up on this case, I'm a bit rusty.
I think a lot of the murders were during the day, as I recall.
He did actually volunteer with the Scouts but unsure of that involvement and whether it was with his son or without. He also volunteered at his church.

64f386eb0959b.image.jpg

A law enforcement team in northeast Oklahoma believes the prolific serial killer known as “BTK” may be responsible for several additional unsolved missing person and homicide cases

CNN’s Jean Casarez sat down with Sheriff Virden for an exclusive interview about Rader’s drawings Virden hopes the public can help identify.

The sheriff launched an investigation back in January pouring over Rader’s writings, sketches and other evidence he obtained from Wichita police, finding what he believes are potential connections to several unsolved cases in the area.

Officials recovered hundreds of sketches in Rader’s belongings after his arrest years ago, but with the help of experts, Virden’s team believes a few rare color images may depict more crimes Rader committed.

Months after Kinney disappeared, the Osage County Sheriff’s Office documented an anonymous call from a man claiming the teen’s body could be found in an old barn along the Oklahoma-Kansas border, Virden told CNN.

Virden’s team believes a barn closely positioned next to a silo was likely a favored haunt of Rader.

01 dennis rader btk drawings

At least one of his murders was done in association with a Scout campout, where he was with his son. ISTR that he told the other leaders that he had to take care of something at home, and when he came back a few hours later, they didn't question him. Chances are, the campground was in or near Wichita so it wasn't like he had to travel several hours to get back there.
It's described in this article, among others:

He was on a scout camping trip with his son in 1991 when he made an excuse that he left something at home. Instead, he broke into the home of Dolores Davis, 62. He killed her, dumped her body and returned to the scout camp out.

He started murdering people during the early '70s, when there were no cell phones, etc. I doubt his wife knew what was going on, but his daughter talks of the "red flags" of past events, comments, that occurred to her after his arrest.

It's described in this article, among others:

He was on a scout camping trip with his son in 1991 when he made an excuse that he left something at home. Instead, he broke into the home of Dolores Davis, 62. He killed her, dumped her body and returned to the scout camp out.

He started murdering people during the early '70s, when there were no cell phones, etc. I doubt his wife knew what was going on, but his daughter talks of the "red flags" of past events, comments, that occurred to her after his arrest.

It was much easier to go undetected without security cameras, GPS trackers, cell phones, and the Internet.
It was probably much easier for him to lie to his wife. How would she know what he was up too without following him or finding something at the house?

It was much easier to go undetected without security cameras, GPS trackers, cell phones, and the Internet.
It was probably much easier for him to lie to his wife. How would she know what he was up too without following him or finding something at the house?
According to John Douglas who wrote a book about BTK , it is a great manipulator but it was discovered that there had been unnoticed signals in the family. For example ( if I remember correctly), his young son had stumbled upon horrible drawings , but he had not dared to say anything .

According to John Douglas who wrote a book about BTK , it is a great manipulator but it was discovered that there had been unnoticed signals in the family. For example ( if I remember correctly), his young son had stumbled upon horrible drawings , but he had not dared to say anything .

Makes sense. I mean in the 70's we didn't know a lot about serial killers then how would a young child know how to look for Red Flags? Except they may have felt something was off but no way to prove it.
I'm sure there are other cases where the wife was aware, didn't care, or was an actual accomplice.

Makes sense. I mean in the 70's we didn't know a lot about serial killers then how would a young child know how to look for Red Flags? Except they may have felt something was off but no way to prove it.
I'm sure there are other cases where the wife was aware, didn't care, or was an actual accomplice.
There is absolutely no evidence that his wife knew anything at the time. Hindsight? Yes. Her life was devastated by this.
My understanding is that family life was complex, like a lot of us. He could be a great father and teacher, but they walked on eggshells at times, following his rules and avoiding his temper.
The BTK tips coming in were on people suspected due to their odd/violent behavior OR, I'll just say it, racism. No one suspected a "normal" guy with a family who led scouts & his church--including his own family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocky.marie
Back