Found Deceased Ks - Lucas Hernandez, 5, Wichita, 17 Feb 2018 #25 Arrest

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you pink. That picture tells me so much. And even deepens my hatred for EG. How could she? Just how could she sit, eat and sleep knowing his body was out in those elements? I hate her. I’m no longer going to keep trying to stay detached to avoid the grief. That photo put me over the edge. I’m going to go in my bathroom, close the door and let it out. I say it again, I hate her.
ETA: I apologize to readers. Hate is such an ugly word and an even uglier feeling, one I’m not used to. I don’t like it. I’m sorry.

I don't know why I'm still surprised at the things humans are capable of after many years of following these cases and yet I still am.
The pictures put it in perspective and made it very real.
How anyone could leave that little boy there and walk away without being tortured is beyond me.

And she would've gone down the north side. She turned left off of Woodlawn onto 96th, she would pull her car off onto the right side of the road... the north side.
This has me thinking too -- headlights on, she had to see a mailbox. Could she have been crazy enough to drive down that road during a new moon with absolutely no lights? Would she stop on the side closest to the house or the other side? Looking at the scene I think you're right that she parked on the right -- she would have been hidden somewhat by trees and distance. Parking on the south side would have probably brought more attention to her, especially if any of the residents of that home ventured very far down the drive -- they would have seen a car parked on the south side more easily because seeing a car on the north would require them to walk out further and look around the blocked view of the trees.

View attachment 134952
The circled spot is where I understand him to have been found. The picture was taken from the north end facing south.

Thanks for the pictures. For some reason I was thinking the bridge would be a steel structure.
In this pic it looks like a railing or a ledge along the wall,but maybe it's just a shadow?

I think it’s difficult to keep in mind that every person who loved Lucas is experiencing deep genuine grief and mourning today.

The questions and the circumstances of him being left as he was is unimaginable to me. There are several defined steps of grief that have been defined by experts who research grieving and death specifically when the deceased is a child. I’ll find it and post it a bit later.

If we take a deep breath and step back and look at all the family and what they are experiencing today, I don’t know what I’d be doing.

JH May very well be attending to Lucas funeral service as soon as the Coroner releases him. Other family including JO may be there to help and for support. Funeral arrangements are difficult at best and nearly unbearable when it your 5 year old son.

What would you be doing if it was your 5 year old?

Now is not the time to expect much in the way of statements or new information frOm anyone. Yes it would be nice because we are all curious but JH simply might be experiencing such deep grief and guilt for bringing EG into his life he might not be functional. Each of us handles death differently. How would it be for you.

The facts are:

Lucas is dead.

He laid in a culvert style creek drain for over 90 days.

Most if not all helpful evidence was washed away by thousands of cubic feet of water

EG placed him there, and was clever choosing the culvert realizing that evidence would be washed away.

She also remained deceptive about it in hopes that his remains would decompose to the degree that it would be next to impossible for the Coroner would be able to determine a cause of death. (Technology has advanced so far so fast that she may have grossly underestimated this)

Although LE has their job to do, many of them have children if their own and I would guess struggle to understand the reason anyone could dispose of a child s remains in this manner. I know when I was assigned to our brilliant Medical Examiners Office over 40 years ago the condition of bodies left in water are still clear in my mind. I vividly remember the children. Every LE member has to process it the same way we did years ago and it’s so difficult I can’t go into it.

LE including the DA CORONER FBI AND OTHER OFFICIALS ARE UNDER TREMENDOUS STRESS AND BEING VERY METHODICAL double triple checking every step they take so as to get every bit of evidence possible to obtain a conviction.

So it might be time to give the everyone involved space and consideration. Everyone including reporters are making stress related errors now. It’s a highly stressful emotional time. It’s stressful for everyone here.

And yes people say things maybe they shouldn’t have shared, but let’s be understanding. They as a group haven’t has much sleep, have searched thousands of acres of land, and are exhausted. No one comes out if a senseless death like this very well or unscathed. There are no winners there’s simply unbearable loss. And a criminal abuser who needs to spend decades incarcerated. Exactly where she belongs.

Last edited:
I know I did not imagine this. I found an article on Saturday that said Medlam was actually in the truck with Marshburn and his assistant at one point. I am not making this up. I'll keep looking after I get a few chores done.

It makes sense though. DM needed to know where to look. LE and TXEQ told the searchers where to search. She had all of the information he could get without actually going to LE (who might or might not have talked to him anyway... probably not). She was probably driving around with him before he talked to EG to show him the areas of interest. It's fantastic that everyone worked together and found him, but now certain people just need to be a little more careful with the media interviews.

I know I did not imagine this. I found an article on Saturday that said Medlam was actually in the truck with Marshburn and his assistant at one point. I am not making this up. I'll keep looking after I get a few chores done.
YES! Thanks for bringing this up. I thought that was really odd. This is the same article I referred to a couple pages back from The Wichita Eagle.

"After Marshburn arrived in Wichita, Medlam met with him for about four hours early Thursday, sharing information that she and fellow searchers had gained about where Lucas might be.

Later Thursday morning, Medlam, Marshburn and his private investigative partner drove together through an area about 2 miles south of where the body was later found.

The volunteer searchers had previously identified that area as a probable location for his remains, based on information that she can’t disclose, Medlam said."

Private investigator had one advantage police lacked in finding Lucas' body

Also does anyone know how long after dealth drugs can be traceable? I remember following another case and was surprised that it was longer than I had expected. I tend to lean toward EG giving Lucas something to help him sleep. Especially since he was taking naps during the day as well. Maybe she gave him too much and it was more than his little body could handle.

I think it’s difficult to keep in mind that every person who loved Lucas is experiencing deep genuine grief and mourning today.

JH May very well be attending to Lucas funeral service as soon as the Coroner releases him. Other family including JO may be there to help and for support. Funeral arrangements are difficult at best and nearly unbearable when it your 5 year old son.

Jamie's mother is planning his funeral.

I think we will find that an early tip came in from someone close to EG who knew the area he was in hence him being found where he was. I think LE used the info from the tip and were just searching in slightly the wrong area. I have wondered all along why they focused on the parks. I think someone close to EG was just off when they gave the police a tip.

Every night before I go to bed, I check to make sure Emily is tuck away nice and tight in her snug little jail pod. I hope she dreams about our little guy and everything she did to him.

Inmate Arrest/Booking Details - Sedgwick County, Kansas Sheriff's Office
I'd like to know what her reaction was upon seeing him -- I'm sure it was different than she imagined.

I also want to echo what others have been saying here. Your searches took you there and he wasn't ready to be found. Think of all the areas you and all the other searchers cleared and eliminated.

Lucas needed her to see what she had done to him -- no matter the outcome of the trial, that is some measure of justice for Lucas because she can never unsee him. It is EG's turn for sleepless nights. You have labored and now you can rest. So much love to you!!

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven."

I'd like to know what her reaction was upon seeing him -- I'm sure it was different than she imagined.

I also want to echo what others have been saying here. Your searches took you there and he wasn't ready to be found. Think of all the areas you and all the other searchers cleared and eliminated.

Lucas needed her to see what she had done to him -- no matter the outcome of the trial, that is some measure of justice for Lucas because she can never unsee him. It is EG's turn for sleepless nights. You have labored and now you can rest. So much love to you!!

"For everything there is a season, and a time for every purpose under heaven."
Do we know she saw him? I’m guessing she stayed in the car while the PI searched.

YES! Thanks for bringing this up. I thought that was really odd. This is the same article I referred to a couple pages back from The Wichita Eagle.

"After Marshburn arrived in Wichita, Medlam met with him for about four hours early Thursday, sharing information that she and fellow searchers had gained about where Lucas might be.

Later Thursday morning, Medlam, Marshburn and his private investigative partner drove together through an area about 2 miles south of where the body was later found.

The volunteer searchers had previously identified that area as a probable location for his remains, based on information that she can’t disclose, Medlam said."

Private investigator had one advantage police lacked in finding Lucas' body
Thank you, that's the one. I thought about posting it when I first read it but emotions were running high at that particular moment re: possible grandstanding. I almost felt it was a little disrespectful to our amazing WS searchers. It's vital to try to focus on what little facts we do know and form our opinions based on those. It's the best place to begin.

BBM.

Didn't Jamie say in her interview that JH's appearance hadn't changed? That he'd always looked pretty thin and gaunt, as he looks now?
She did but she also said JH looks now like he did when he was going through his divorce. I don't recall her specifying what that means, exactly, but I'm speculating that though he's always been thin & gaunt, there's a "look" about him since Lucas went missing that reminds her of the "look" he had when going through divorce. She also talked about him achieving sobriety, later after the divorce. I don't know if she's trying to say she thinks he's drinking again or if he has a haunted look about him???

Also does anyone know how long after dealth drugs can be traceable? I remember following another case and was surprised that it was longer than I had expected. I tend to lean toward EG giving Lucas something to help him sleep. Especially since he was taking naps during the day as well. Maybe she gave him too much and it was more than his little body could handle.

Different drugs have different defined criteria. I’m pretty confident that the Coroner has the best testing modalities and fbi technology in existence to find almost anything. Much of it might depend on the condition of the remains when found.

I can just about promise that everything humanly possible is being done to prepare every atom of evidence possible. Everyone is putting forward their best for Lucas. There will be no more agency failures for him.

The questions and the circumstances of him being left as he was is unimaginable to me. There are several defined steps of grief that have been defined by experts who research grieving and death specifically when the deceased is a child. I’ll find it and post it a bit later.

If we take a deep breath and step back and look at all the family and what they are experiencing today, I don’t know what I’d be doing.

What would you be doing if it was your 5 year old?

Now is not the time to expect much in the way of statements or new information frOm anyone. Yes it would be nice because we are all curious but JH simply might be experiencing such deep grief and guilt for bringing EG into his life he might not be functional. Each of us handles death differently. How would it be for you.

The facts are:

Lucas is dead.

He laid in a culvert style creek drain for over 90 days.

Most if not all helpful evidence was washed away by thousands of cubic feet of water

EG placed him there, and was clever choosing the culvert realizing that evidence would be washed away.

She also remained deceptive about it in hopes that his remains would decompose to the degree that it would be next to impossible for the Coroner would be able to determine a cause of death. (Technology has advanced so far so fast that she may have grossly underestimated this)

Although LE has their job to do, many of them have children if their own and I would guess struggle to understand the reason anyone could dispose of a child s remains in this manner. I know when I was assigned to our brilliant Medical Examiners Office over 40 years ago the condition of bodies left in water are still clear in my mind. I vividly remember the children. Every LE member has to process it the same way we did years ago and it’s so difficult I can’t go into it.

LE including the DA CORONER FBI AND OTHER OFFICIALS ARE UNDER TREMENDOUS STRESS AND BEING VERY METHODICAL double triple checking every step they take so as to get every bit of evidence possible to obtain a conviction.

So it might be time to give the everyone involved space and consideration. Everyone including reporters are making stress related errors now. It’s a highly stressful emotional time. It’s stressful for everyone here.

And yes people say things maybe they shouldn’t have shared, but let’s be understanding. They as a group haven’t has much sleep, have searched thousands of acres of land, and are exhausted. No one comes out if a senseless death like this very well or unscathed. There are no winners there’s simply unbearable loss. And a criminal abuser who needs to spend decades incarcerated. Exactly where she belongs.
Charlie, this is a very thoughtful and well written post. You expressed yourself in a clear and concise manner. Nicely done.

This is totally off-topic from what you guys are discussing but I just thought of something. I was sitting here wondering about cause of death. Since Lucas was abused so much in the past I bet there will be evidence on his body of past abuse. I just hope they have an actual cause of death that they can get her on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member