UNSOLVED KS - Skeleton Found In Coffin In Business Attic In Derby, *graphic Pics* June 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
17013467_G.jpeg

17013471_G.jpg

DERBY, Kan. (KAKE) -

Police are investigating after construction crews found what appear to be human remains inside an old coffin at a business in Derby.

Police say workers were doing renovations inside a building near K-15 and West Market Monday morning when they made the discovery. The coffin was found in the attic of a business.

"Yesterday I tried to take down all the insulation," said Eliseo Flores. "I saw a coffin there, almost, about four foot long. And I was curious, tried to open it... My surprise was when I saw a head, a human head, a lot of bones."

Flores and his boss removed the coffin, put it on the floor and called the building's owner, who then called police.

Human remains found inside coffin at building being renovated in Derby

wow.. This is really interesting.. I just went on Google to look for the building and honestly the building style does not look like its that old maybe 60's or 70's I could be wrong though. I also agree the coffin is way small for the person that is in there. I wonder if there are any funeral homes near by that could identify the coffin type and how old it could be or if there are any stamps or engravings on the coffin itself..

Here is google link to show the building. https://www.google.com/search?ei=SL...;tbs:lrf:!2m1!1e2!2m1!1e3!3sIAE,lf:1,lf_ui:10

the places used to be called Simonsen Plumbing 125 West Market in Derby Kansas

Simonsen is a bit unusual among local residents in that not only did he grow up here, his dad did, too.

His father, Max Simonsen, started the business in 1952. In 1958, he built a home for it at 126 E. Madison. The business then moved to 215 W. Market, and then in 1975 moved to its last home at 125 W. Market.

Simonsen started working for his dad when he was a teenager and went on to earn his plumbing license in 1966. He then took over the business in 1985 when his father passed away.

End of an era: plumbing business closes its doors

I googled small caskets thinking there would be some info like “oh back in 1875 if you died of purple people eater flu they stuffed you in a tiny coffin to preserve your grandmothers virture” or something equally ridiculous. No such luck. Lots of baby coffin pictures. I don’t suggest googling it.

This is close to where we live so our local news is covering it and of course people have all kinds of theories. But one that has stood out is Odd Fellow initiations. Derby had a good size odd fellow group once upon a time. This definitely could be the case. This is an interesting article about it.

Why People Keep Finding Skeletons in Old Odd Fellows Lodges

This is close to where we live so our local news is covering it and of course people have all kinds of theories. But one that has stood out is Odd Fellow initiations. Derby had a good size odd fellow group once upon a time. This definitely could be the case. This is an interesting article about it.

Why People Keep Finding Skeletons in Old Odd Fellows Lodges
Nice find.

The history of lodges and fraternal orders in the U.S. is fascinating, and their influence postdates some of their shelf lives -- my family is, for example, buried in an IOOF cemetery, even though none of them ever was in a lodge in their lives.

Independent Order of Odd Fellows - Wikipedia

Odd Fellows Have Skeletons in Their Closets--and Their Walls and Attics - LA Times

It is fascinating to me too. They run deep in our roots for sure. I almost wonder if that’s the case. The people who had the building for the plumbing business have deep roots there in derby as well. Several generations.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back