• Weight: 115 - lbs
  • Hair Color: Brown
  • Eye Color: Blue
  • Nickname/Alias: Nellie
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Has an overbite
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Brown checked dress
  • Identifiers: Unknown
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Lunsford was last seen leaving her residence near Short and Georgetown Street in Lexington, Kentucky on October 12, 1963. She was planning to take the bus to a doctors appointment at the University of Kentucky Medical Center but never arrived. Few details are available regarding her disappearance and her whereabouts remain unknown.

Investigators:
  • Lexington Police Department: 859-258-3600
    Case Number: 2022005017
NamUs# MP85481

Missing Person / NamUs #MP85481
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

This is a strange one. That neighborhood was dodgy back then but is trendy and gentrifying now. The main bus terminal and train station were about a half-mile from her house. Could she have decided to ditch her life there, and run away?

Hi there. I just came across this group. I'm Barbara's niece. I'm the one that listed her missing on NAMUS. She worked at a cleaning company on Versailles/High St. A couple days before, she passed out at work and was taken by ambulance to a hospital. She had a history of seizures. She had an appointment at UK for a follow up and never made it. My father was in the military at the time and it always bothered him. She still has one sibling alive, a brother . She has 1 son still alive too. Due to COVID I hadn't been able to submit DNA. If anyone is able to help...it would be appreciated! Thanks

A flyer that I recently created for this case. If anyone is in the Lexington, KY area, please print some of them and hang around as well as post on social media.

Attachments

• MISSING Lunsford.jpg
    MISSING Lunsford.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 5
Hi there. I just came across this group. I'm Barbara's niece. I'm the one that listed her missing on NAMUS. She worked at a cleaning company on Versailles/High St. A couple days before, she passed out at work and was taken by ambulance to a hospital. She had a history of seizures. She had an appointment at UK for a follow up and never made it. My father was in the military at the time and it always bothered him. She still has one sibling alive, a brother . She has 1 son still alive too. Due to COVID I hadn't been able to submit DNA. If anyone is able to help...it would be appreciated! Thanks
I noted that her last seen date was October 12, 1963, which was a Saturday, so her follow-up Dr appt was on Saturday?

Not sure what the COVID-related issues are with DNA submission; I do know that Namus case managers used to and probably still can/will work with local LE (where-ever the DNA is) to facilitate submission - this used to include both providing the appropriate collection kit and coordinating the effort with both the submitter of the DNA and the local LE obtaining it.

Any update?

Is there a PUBLIC FB page for her? DNA done for you, son and brother?

What was her diagnosis and how did it affect her (lose consciousness?); any OTHER 'issues' in her life?

Actual PhotoActual Photo
Barbara Nellie Lunsford, age 23, Missing since 12 October 1963
Photo on right from her 1956 school yearbook

Date of Last Contact October 12, 1963
Missing From Lexington, Kentucky
Missing Age 23 Years
Current Age 82 Years

Nickname/Alias Nellie
Sex Female
Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian
Height 5'-4" - (64 - inches)
Weight 115 - lbs
Hair color: Brown
Eye color: Blue

Last Known Location - Lexington, Fayette County, Kentucky 40505

Circumstances of Disappearance
On her way to a doctors appointment at University of Kentucky Medical Center. Was supposed to go to bus stop to take bus to appointment.

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassie.ryan18
Back