KY - Breonna Taylor, 26, unarmed, fatally shot multiple times by police, Louisville, 13 Mar 2020

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good reporter would have asked her if she heard any shots after she heard the "reload". You may be right about the location of the neighbors apartment but this article is the first time I saw her name IIRC. I remember seeing a video that interviewed neighbors but I don't recall hearing her name.

Seems like the shot officer heard a second volley as did people who called 911 (after hearing "Reload"). All for the listening to and reading at: Taped interviews shed light on police probe of Breonna Taylor shooting

Did they think that there was an army in that apartment?

I have a close relative who used to serve these types of warrants. They sat on houses/apartments to make sure they knew who was there or not there. I am continually surprised that there seemed to be no intel about the occupants before they made this move.

Neighbor heard "reload" and started filming. That may be why there were so many shots fired.

IIRC, this neighbor was on the second floor adjacent to Ms. Taylor's apartment.

A good reporter would have asked her if she heard any shots after she heard the "reload". You may be right about the location of the neighbors apartment but this article is the first time I saw her name IIRC.
Seems like the shot officer heard a second volley as did people who called 911 (after hearing "Reload"). All for the listening to and reading at: Taped interviews shed light on police probe of Breonna Taylor shooting

Thanks. I now remember reading about the second volley of shots but didn't remember this came after the "reload".

Louisville police Sgt. Jonathan Mattingly confirms police considered Taylor’s home a “soft target” with no animals or children and that they anticipated “no threat.” That’s why, he says, they knocked. He says he knew few other details.

Mattingly tells interviewers that an officer staking out Taylor’s house told him Taylor was home alone watching television. A blue light flickered in the bedroom window as the team approached in plainclothes and tactical vests, says Mattingly.

His team clustered in the breezeway outside the apartment. He recounts that they knocked twice, then started knocking again and yelled “Police, search warrant!” The knocking lasted 45 seconds, Mattingly says, enough time for “the average person, or even a disabled person” to answer. Then the team rammed the door.

In his interview, Kenneth Walker tells investigators he and Taylor were dozing in front of a movie in the bedroom when they heard loud banging. They shouted “Who is it?” he says, but got “No answer. No response. No anything.”

They scrambled to dress and Walker grabbed his licensed gun, he says. They were standing in the hallway when the door opened in an “explosion.”

Walker maintains he could not see who was breaking in, saying he fired one low “warning” shot because he thought it was an intruder.

Mattingly says he got all the way into the house and saw Walker pointing the gun. He heard Walker’s shot and returned fire immediately. Mattingly had been hit in the leg, and would later learn the bullet had punctured his femoral artery. Walker did not fire his weapon again.

Police say they fired at least 16 rounds that night. Walker’s attorney said police shot at least 22. At least 10 came from Sgt. Brett Hankison, who has since been fired for “wantonly and blindly” firing into the apartment, according to his termination letter.

Bullets pierced walls in a bedroom, the living room, bathroom and kitchen. Some flew into the apartment next door, where a young pregnant mother lives with her partner and child, shattering their patio door.

Eight shots struck Breonna Taylor.

Sgt. Vance asks Mattingly if he immediately dropped to the ground after Walker shot him in the leg. Mattingly says no — he fired four times at Walker, backed out of the apartment, fired twice more, then “got out of the game,” he says.

Taped interviews shed light on police probe of Breonna Taylor shooting

Mattingly was among four officers reassigned after the shooting. Only one has been fired: Officer Brett Hankison.

Hankison was “a little bit worked up” that night, Mattingly says in the taped interview, arguing with and pointing his gun at a neighbor who was objecting as police banged on Taylor’s door. “I remember looking at Brett saying, ‘Brett, relax,’” Mattingly says. “‘That's not your focus.’’’

In the firefight, Hankison shot 10 times through a curtained patio and window, bullets flying into neighboring apartments. His termination letter says Hankison showed “extreme indifference to the value of human life” and violated the rules against using deadly force.

Mattingly tells investigators he never saw other officers shoot — but after he had exited the apartment, gotten through the breezeway and stumbled to the curb, he says he heard gunfire.

Neighbors who called 911 that night described hearing “reload” and a second round of gunfire. Mattingly’s statement appears to corroborate that there were two separate rounds of shots. Attorneys for Taylor’s family claim in court papers that Hankison was the one who yelled “reload.”

Hankison's attorney declined to comment.

Last edited:
Halle Berry wears 'Arrest the cops who killed Breonna Taylor' shirt

Kentucky Attorney General Daniel Cameron is expected to announce whether or not his office will charge the three officers who fired their weapons that night – Brett Hankison, Jonathan Mattingly and Myles Cosgrove – sometime soon.

Louisville's metro government, meanwhile, has agreed to a "substantial" civil settlement with Taylor's family.

@TessaDuvall

Fischer begins by saying he is “deeply, deeply sorry” for Breonna Taylor’s death. Louisville has settled the civil suit, he says, noting that the city and police will implement reforms.
Fischer also says LMPD will implement an early warning system that tracks use of force, citizen complaints and more to monitor office

Louisville will also create a program to add social workers to LMPD to assist with some calls.
A commanding officer must now review all search warrants before approval is sought from a judge
OFFICIAL: Payment to Breonna Taylor’s family is $12 MILLION.
Lonjta Baker, an attorney for Taylor’s family, says a financial settlement was “non-negotiable” without associated reforms to LMPD.

Baker says Breonna Taylor’s family wants to prevent what happened to her from happening to another family.
Baker thanks the protesters for using their voices to shine a light on what happened to Breonna Taylor.

Baker says justice for Breonna Taylor is multilayer and includes the AG and federal investigations.
County Attorney Mike O’Connell opens by saying Breonna Taylor’s life mattered.
O’Connell says this agreement is not enough alone, but he hopes it is a step toward a more just Louisville.
Reforms for the settlement agreement were primarily done by counsel for the involved parties, O’Connell says. Some consultation was done with police, he said.

Fischer settlement says the agreement does not acknowledge wrongdoing or fault in Breonna Taylor’s death.

Last edited:
Breonna Taylor: Louisville settles family's wrongful death lawsuit for $12 million

The city of Louisville, Kentucky, has agreed to pay $12 million to the family of Breonna Taylor and institute sweeping police reforms in a historic settlement of the family's wrongful death lawsuit.

As part of the settlement, the city agreed to establish a housing credit program as an incentive for officers to live in the areas they serve; use social workers to provide support on certain police runs; and require commanders to review and approve search warrants before seeking judicial approval, among other changes.

A spokeswoman for the mayor's office confirmed the $12 million settlement is the highest-ever paid by the city.

Mayor Fischer said the city is not admitting wrongdoing in the agreement.

There is no body camera footage of the incident, police said.

FOP president calls for city to remove Breonna Taylor banners
On Monday, several banners paying homage to Breonna Taylor were hung in downtown Louisville. On Wednesday, the president of the River City Fraternal Order of Police said he sent a letter to Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer and Public Safety Director Amy Hess to remove them.

“[Officers] felt it was, you know, kind of a slap in the face directly against them," Ryan Nichols said. “Those banners, and being put up where they were and the Black Lives Matter banner that’s supporting a cause and an issue... officers had a problem with that.” Nichols said because some of the banners say “Black Lives Matter,” he believes they are in violation of Louisville’s Street Banner Program Standards and Guidelines, which prevent banners from being used to “advertise individual businesses, sell merchandise products or services or to promote organizations or issues within the message.”

“I think there’s been murals done in different places, different memorials of such," Nichols said. "The Street Banner Program is not the way to do that, and when they attach the Black Lives Matter organization to the banner it’s in direct violation with the guidelines. So, just follow the guidelines.”

Breonna Taylor settlement: How much is your daughter's life worth?

Last edited:
On Monday, several banners paying homage to Breonna Taylor were hung in downtown Louisville. On Wednesday, the president of the River City Fraternal Order of Police said he sent a letter to Louisville Mayor Greg Fischer and Public Safety Director Amy Hess to remove them.

“[Officers] felt it was, you know, kind of a slap in the face directly against them," Ryan Nichols said. “Those banners, and being put up where they were and the Black Lives Matter banner that’s supporting a cause and an issue... officers had a problem with that.” Nichols said because some of the banners say “Black Lives Matter,” he believes they are in violation of Louisville’s Street Banner Program Standards and Guidelines, which prevent banners from being used to “advertise individual businesses, sell merchandise products or services or to promote organizations or issues within the message.”

“I think there’s been murals done in different places, different memorials of such," Nichols said. "The Street Banner Program is not the way to do that, and when they attach the Black Lives Matter organization to the banner it’s in direct violation with the guidelines. So, just follow the guidelines.”

Interesting!

I call it disgraceful.

I honestly wouldn’t be ok with those banners. The whole idea just seems strange to me. Should a banner go up every time someone dies? What about murder victims killed by a regular citizen? Domestic violence murder victims? Children murdered by parents? What would the guidelines be for who gets banners?
Do the banners go up for every person who gets shot during interactions with police??
I’m not trying to be argumentative, I truly don’t see the point in the banners or murals popping up.

I honestly wouldn’t be ok with those banners. The whole idea just seems strange to me. Should a banner go up every time someone dies? What about murder victims killed by a regular citizen? Domestic violence murder victims? Children murdered by parents? What would the guidelines be for who gets banners?
Do the banners go up for every person who gets shot during interactions with police??
I’m not trying to be argumentative, I truly don’t see the point in the banners or murals popping up.
None of the killers you mention have taken an oath to protect the public.

@TessaDuvall

Fischer begins by saying he is “deeply, deeply sorry” for Breonna Taylor’s death. Louisville has settled the civil suit, he says, noting that the city and police will implement reforms.
Fischer also says LMPD will implement an early warning system that tracks use of force, citizen complaints and more to monitor office

Louisville will also create a program to add social workers to LMPD to assist with some calls.
A commanding officer must now review all search warrants before approval is sought from a judge
OFFICIAL: Payment to Breonna Taylor’s family is $12 MILLION.
Lonjta Baker, an attorney for Taylor’s family, says a financial settlement was “non-negotiable” without associated reforms to LMPD.

Baker says Breonna Taylor’s family wants to prevent what happened to her from happening to another family.
Baker thanks the protesters for using their voices to shine a light on what happened to Breonna Taylor.

Baker says justice for Breonna Taylor is multilayer and includes the AG and federal investigations.
County Attorney Mike O’Connell opens by saying Breonna Taylor’s life mattered.
O’Connell says this agreement is not enough alone, but he hopes it is a step toward a more just Louisville.
Reforms for the settlement agreement were primarily done by counsel for the involved parties, O’Connell says. Some consultation was done with police, he said.

Fischer settlement says the agreement does not acknowledge wrongdoing or fault in Breonna Taylor’s death.
JMO is the last part of that sentence that infuriates the community, You make an agreement to pay her family 12 million dollars but the next breath you say the agreement does not acknowledge any wrong doing or fault in Breonna Taylors death...well I doubt the city of Lou would just cut me a check for any amount, so saying here is your check but we didn't do
anything wrong just flies in the face of the truth
I am happy they made an agreement with the family now we just need some indictments an convictions.

Last edited:

Since when does the head of the FOP get to say what banners are hung in any city, and I am just as sorry that some of the LMPD felt it was a slap in the face for those banners to be hanging, but go talk to Tamika Palmer and Breonna sisters and friends and go speak with her boyfriend Kenneth Walker and see if they feel like they have been slapped in the face since March 13th 2020. then answer that question. JMHO.

And for Lou to not let Banners hang that have displays for businesses well try taking down the Kentucky Derby banners that fly every year for months is that not advertising? or the banners about the different distillaries that Ky has and that's not advertising the city makes money from those banners, but a banner that says black lives matter is a problem..Please.

Last edited:
Louisville city council votes 'no confidence' in mayor for handling of Breonna Taylor case

Louisville, Kentucky's city council Thursday night approved a “no confidence” resolution against Mayor Greg Fischer, citing his handling of the death of Breonna Taylor and the unrest that followed.

The resolution expressing "concern/no confidence in the leadership demonstrated by Mayor Greg Fischer" passed 22-4. An earlier resolution asking the mayor to resign was nixed in favor of one seeking specific reforms.

JMO is the last part of that sentence that infuriates the community, You make an agreement to pay her family 12 million dollars but the next breath you say the agreement does not acknowledge any wrong doing or fault in Breonna Taylors death...well I doubt the city of Lou would just cut me a check for any amount, so saying here is your check but we didn't do
anything wrong just flies in the face of the truth
I am happy they made an agreement with the family now we just need some indictments an convictions.

I think that statement is routine language in most settlements. I would have been surprised if it wasn't included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaniMiranda82