KY KY - Brookelyn Farthing, 18, Berea, 22 Jun 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
What David said in his post is everything that I have heard here and I am local. I have heard some more, but cannot post it because it would be considered hearsay.

Good Morning My Fellow Websleuths Members,

David Lohr is a respected and much trusted crime reporter/writer.

David Lohr's reporting, no matter where it is posted, is something we can depend on.

Think of it as if Jane Velez-Mitchell wrote something for the Huffington Post, or Ann Rule. We would certainly not question their credentials.

It's the same with David Lohr. I have known him for a long time and have always found him to be insightful and fair. I'm not saying he is always right but when he writes about a case it should be included in our discussion.

Everyone have a great day and thank you for participating on Websleuths.

Take care,
Tricia

OT - but did not know David L was verified.

Also, seems a change to TOS, in that we can quote non-MSM as long as person is a known crime writer/fighter/detective?

No big deal, and mods can snip when quoting is inappropriate. and more important - thanks for all!

Also, seems a change to TOS, in that we can quote non-MSM as long as person is a known crime writer/fighter/detective?

No big deal, and mods can snip when quoting is inappropriate. and more important - thanks for all!

The Huffington Post (AOL News) is MSM.

Admin note:

I'm not sure Mr. Lohr has been formally verified (need to check that!) but Tricia is willing to vouch for him, per her post above. I do know that Mr. Lohr has written about other cases and has posted here several times before.

That said, as is true with any of our posters (verified or not), members are free to question, consider the accuracy of what is being said and give whatever weight you feel comfortable giving the information being put forth. That's the way we've always rolled around here. :)

As far as permitting non-MSM articles, that has been allowed for a while pending review and approval from admins. For instance, we permit very few Examiner links, however we do permit articles by a few respected, well-known journalists including Isabelle Zehander and Cindy Adams (2 that immediately come to mind.)

Hope that clears things up a little bit.

:tyou: Thanks Beach for the info! Not sure if you are saying the Huff Post is now considered by WS to be MSM :confused:

JVM is covering Brookelyn's case on her show tonight.

Heartbreaking....I hate that she was so scared and no one close enough to help her.

Just to touch on a couple of the details mentioned in last night's JVM with Brookelyn's stepdad.. First off, IMO they did a great job of getting a lot of the info and details out there nationwide, along with having her step-dad clarify and correct a couple of issues that were incorrect or unclear.. He also states that LE has told them(her family) that they absolutely do have a suspect, but they(LE) are not publicly naming a suspect, nor are they sharing with the family at this point in time what LE believe to have happened in those early morning hours..

Her step-dad is very supportive of all LE involved in the case and are following their direction, and trust that they are doing a good job with his stepdaughter's case..

One piece of info that was discussed(tho, is not a new or an unknown piece of info) is regarding the couch, as in the couch that was inside the man's home that was in foreclosure and had no electricity..the couch that suspiciously caught fire in the early morning hours that Brookelyn just so happened to have "disappeared" within.. According to this unnamed man(the male who owned the home, who let Brooke borrow his car) he says that he left his home to go tend to one of his horses and that when he left Brooke was alive and well and sitting on his couch smoking a cigarette.. According to him this is the last he saw of Brooke around 6am the morning of the disappearance.. This couch as we know by 7am was on fire and emergency units were dispatched to that Dillon residence for this extremely small, contained fire that consisted of just the couch..

Last night was much discussion by the panel about how very concerned they were about the integrity of the investigation due to the fact that this seemingly huge of importance, key peice of evidence, the couch was NOT seized into LE custody as evidence..but rather had been moved out front of the foreclosed home where it has been subjected to the elements for 2 months now, thus quite likely having destroyed any evidence contained within this couch.. IMO this is very concerning and upsetting tho, her stepfather did say that authorities had assured him that the couch had been numerous times, thoroughly gone over with a fine tooth comb in their collecting evidence.. All fine and dandy, IMO, but still I am concerned that such an obvious piece of the puzzle was left uncollected and is now thoroughly useless due to NOT having been collected for safe keeping..

Her step dad did confirm that Brookelyn was in fact a smoker, as I know many were questioning whether or not she was, so that's now confirmed by family.. He also clarified about the last cell phone ping from her phone being located in the area of Blue Lick.. It was being incorrectly reported that this area is an hour and a half from the Dillon residence where she was last known to be, but her step father says that's absolutely incorrect and that Blue Lick is actually in that same general area as the residence and the ping indicates that the phone was indeed "near the Dillon residence" when it was last trackable that morning of the disappearance..

Another detail I didn't know of and learned from last nights show was the questioning of why or what was the situation that made Brooke choose to take the vehicle back to this man's home in those early morning hours, rather than her instead just take his car, go home, and return his vehicle later on.. I learned that there was a text message this man sent to Brooke's phone at some point while she had his vehicle in giving her intoxicated friend a ride home, the car owner text Brooke stating that he needed her to bring him the car, to his home, as soon as she dropped off her drunk friend..

Another detail her step dad clarified was why all of her stuff was at this man's home.. He explained that Brooke, like many girls her age, pack an assortment of items when going out for the night to a party and to spend the night at a friends(which was Brooke's plan, but she and her girlfriend got in an argument at the party and the friend left without Brooke)...thereby leaving Brooke with all of her stuff(ie.different assortment of clothes, shoes, make up, etc) which all of these belongings were found left behind at the man's home that she borrowed the car from.. So, IMO he very much cleared up a lot of the questions and confusion surrounding how/what much of her belongings were found left behind at this guy's house..as well as why this young woman had all of these belongings with her at the time she disappeared..

Below is the link to full transcript of last night's JVM show where you'll find this info and more about Brookelyn's case.. IMO definitely worth a read, if you were unable to watch the show..as I said there was a lot accomplished regarding getting the info out to the nation about BROOKELYN'S DISAPPEARANCE, as well as clarifying some of the info/details surrounding the situation leading up to the disappearance..

Link to 8/23/2013 JVM show transcript:
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/1308/23/ijvm.01.html

I used to be an appraiser in ky and know where the blue lick area is, but do not know the address of this mans house. If someone can provide me that, I can see if it is anywhere close. I wish I could do maps, then I could post it. Maybe someone else could with the info?

Ok I just researched dillon court. I believe I have done an appraisal on this road. Blue lick is just to the left of it (west). Very close. I would imagine the cell would ping off blue lick at this address. I remember my cell service was in and out in this whole general area.

I have a question....can you text to 911? Just read through this thread, and it occurred to me that I don't know the answer! Obviously I don't text that often. ;) Gosh, what a sad situation, that I'm sure many can relate to as far as needing a ride, no friends available, maybe afraid to call parents...and boom...danger strikes. When I think back to my younger years, by the grace of God I'm still here. Sure made some stupid mistakes that could have cost me my life. Sadly only a few of those times did I realize I was in danger at the time!

I have a question....can you text to 911? Just read through this thread, and it occurred to me that I don't know the answer! Obviously I don't text that often. ;) Gosh, what a sad situation, that I'm sure many can relate to as far as needing a ride, no friends available, maybe afraid to call parents...and boom...danger strikes. When I think back to my younger years, by the grace of God I'm still here. Sure made some stupid mistakes that could have cost me my life. Sadly only a few of those times did I realize I was in danger at the time!
The info below is directly from the FCC(government) website regarding the already in progress transition of making all 911 call centers equipped to receive 911 text messages..
In the future, text-to-911 may be widely available in the United States. However, for now, the ability to contact 911 using text is only available on a limited basis in a few markets. For this reason, you should not rely on text to reach 911.<snip>

&#8226;&#8226;BOUNCE-BACK-MESSAGE&#8226;&#8226;
The FCC has rules to help keep consumers safe during the transition to text-to-911. Wireless telephone companies and certain other text messaging providers are required by the FCC to send an automatic "bounce-back" message to any consumer who tries to send a text message to 911 where this service is not yet available. Consumers who receive this "bounce-back" message will be advised to contact emergency services by another means, such as by making a voice call. AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon &#8211; have agreed to voluntarily begin sending these "bounce back" text messages across their networks as of June 30, 2013. .<snip>

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon have voluntarily committed to provide text-to-911 service by May 15, 2014 in all areas served by their networks where a 911 call center is prepared to receive texts.
http://www.fcc.gov/text-to-911
In looking around on the web it appears that many states have already implemented this ability and those that have not have atleast implemented the Bounce-Back-Message to be sent as an automatic reply to any cell phone/mobile device attempting to reach 911 via text message.

HTH:)

A woman was arrested Tuesday after police say she was illegally soliciting donations to help in the search for a missing Madison County teen.

Officers were called to the Berea Tourism Center in reference to a female who was soliciting donations. Police say Amanda Griffey, 21, of Berea told people that she was from a local church and that she was collecting money for the family of Brookelyn Farthing. She got $10 from two separate people before being stopped by Officers on North Broadway.

http://www.lex18.com/news/woman-arrested-for-allegedly-soliciting-money-for-search-for-missing-teen

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slowcrow
Back