KY- I-75 Active Shooter Targeting Vehicles *FOUND DECEASED*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
KSP saying couple "stumbled upon a body". Like they came upon it by accident. No, KSP, they were out there searching for 6 days, and FOUND a body. Really not a good look for them right now trying avoid giving credit to this couple.
They searched purposely under difficult conditions, they observed the buzzards flights, they followed smells, and when smells dissipated, Sheila checked the leaves to see which way the wind was blowing. They weren't out for a leisurely hike in that terrain, to "stumble" across a body. GMAB.

WYMT-TV is reporting that the body located around Exit 49 in the Daniel Boone National Forest is believed to be Joseph Couch.

I did watch the news briefing on the WYMT-TV website and it was also carried live over the air on Scripps News.

It is my understanding from the news briefing that the identification of the body is tentative right now.

The body will be taken to the state medical examiner in Frankfort for positive identification to be made.

Source:

Body Found Off Exit 49 Is Believed To Be Joseph Couch

LONDON, Ky. (WAVE) - Officials say they believe the body found near the site of the I-75 shooting in Laurel County is the alleged shooter, Joseph Couch.

Updated: 5 hours ago

Remains believed to belong to 32-year-old Joseph Couch were found in the area off exit 49 of Interstate 75 in Laurel County, the same exit near which the shooting occurred, Kentucky State Police Commissioner Phillip "PJ" Burnett, Jr. said in a news conference. A weapon was also found with the body as well.

The unidentified body was discovered at about 3:30 p.m. local time by "two troopers and two civilians" in "deep brush," Burnett disclosed.

"There were articles associated with the body that at this time we feel is Joseph Couch," the commissioner said.

The body will be sent to the coroner in Frankfort, Kentucky, for positive identification Thursday. There was no word on a cause of death.

Kentucky highway shooting suspect found dead, officials believe

SEP 18, 2024
Laurel County Sheriff John Root said Couch’s family assisted in the search.

“Let’s have a prayer for Joe Couch’s family. They have worked with us,” said Root.

... A weapon was also found with the body as well.

The unidentified body was discovered at about 3:30 p.m. local time by "two troopers and two civilians" in "deep brush," Burnett disclosed.

"There were articles associated with the body that at this time we feel is Joseph Couch," the commissioner said.

According to KSP, the remains were discovered both by troopers and a couple, Fred and Sheila McCoy, who live-streamed their own independent search in the woods. While law enforcement are jointly crediting troopers and the McCoys, the couple will be receiving $25,000 in reward money.

AWARD $$$.

From the presser,* both the cc's on-screen & the transcript show
speaker is ID'ed as "Colonel Philip Bernett Jr with Kentucky
State Police Commissioner" IIUC. He said:

7:38 " we did have confirmation that yes
they will receive $155,000 from lauro
County Crim Stoppers and then $10,000
from a private
donor." 7:52

$155,000 seems to be a misquote of the Laurel Co. Crime Stoppers amt.

From Sheriff's Sept.10th FB page,
Laurel Co. Crime Stoppers award = $ 5,000. (But was later increased.)
United Way of London reward = $10,000 for info leading to ARREST of JC.

So now UWL reward $ does not appear to be applicable to this recovery.

Sheriff's FB 9/10 FB page does not specify terms for collection of LCCS or anonymous awards. Maybe elsewhere?

Generally, $ amts or specific terms for these kind of awards can change.

Regardless, glad that JC's remains were recovered and area residents can sleep more soundly tonight.

Laurel County Sheriff's Office | London KY. See 9/10 entry.

Last edited:
SEP 18, 2024
[...]

"Something's dead 'cause I caught a whiff of something," Sheila McCoy says about 12 minutes into the video.

A few minutes later the McCoys ran into the state troopers who informed them they smelled the same odor of decomposition. Fred McCoy identifies himself to troopers as a retired police chief with more than 40 years of experience.

[...]

Roughly 30 minutes into the livestream, Fred is seen going down a small hill in the tree line before screaming out to police.

"Oh! Got him, here he is!" he shouts. Sheila isn't far behind.

[...]

They are in fact receiving that $25,000 reward money. Well deserved.

Good for them! They seem pretty darn good at search and recovery; they might want to consider formally joining a search and rescue org; esp. with the LE background! Bravo!
Prayers continue for the recovering victims and their anguished families. May this discovery help them accelerate their healing.

Amateur opinion and speculation

SEP 18, 2024
Retired police officer Fred McCoy and his wife Sheila said they had been searching for Couch for days when circling birds led them to a body.

"I had seen a vulture fly up with something in his mouth, and I thought, well, don't call nobody, it could be just an animal," Fred McCoy said. "Then Sheila said, I smell something."

Laurel County officers and Kentucky State Police bumped into the couple after they said the vultures caught their attention. ...

... Burnett confirmed that they would be receiving $15,000 in reward money from Laurel County Crime Stoppers for their efforts, as well as an additional $10,000 from a private donor.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crowskullsearch33
Back