GUILTY KY - Paige Johnson, 17, found deceased, Florence, 23 Sept 2010 *arrest in 2020*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Since early in the investigation, police have said Bumpass was the last person to have seen Paige alive. He was 22 when she vanished.

In court, Bumpass’s lawyer Louis Sirkin argued for a reasonable bond saying his client had known the police suspected his involvement for nearly 10 years, and yet, he had never fled the area.

Sirkin said Bumpass is gainfully employed and lives in Finneytown in his mother’s home. He also asked if that home could be put up to fulfill at least a portion of the bond amount.

Court records show Bumpass later posted bond and was released.

$50K bond for man accused in Paige Johnson’s 2010 disappearance and death

Remains of Ky. Teen Who Vanished 10 Years Ago Found — and 'Multiple Witnesses' Aren't Cooperating

At this point, officials still do not know how Johnson died, which precludes the filing of homicide or murder charges.

I believe the issues that LE and prosecutors are having in this case is what was the exact nature of Paige Johnson's death, which state did her death occur, and which individuals are responsible.

Also keep in mind there are no statue of limitations for the crime of murder.

I don't know about the homicide laws in Kentucky, but I do know that in Ohio you can be charged with murder if you cause a fatal overdose by giving someone alcohol or drugs.

And if it is later determined that the cause of her death is murder, then it is the question of whether it was intentional or accidental.

Wonder why no murder charge?
Authorities arrested Jacob Bumpass on July 28. He has been indicted on charges of Tampering with Evidence and Abuse of a Corpse in Clermont County, Ohio.

Arrest made after remains of missing Kentucky teen found 10 years later - Court TV

I believe the issues that LE and prosecutors are having in this case is what was the exact nature of Paige Johnson's death, which state did her death occur, and which individuals are responsible.
^^sbm

The charges of Tampering with Evidence and Abuse of a Corpse only should not be a surprise for a couple of reasons.

Prosecutors are going to charge based on the evidence they have at the date of arrest, and also what they believe they can prove during trial. It's always possible that the suspect will later be indicted for murder by the grand jury.

There's also the problem with the age of her remains and the fact that LE has not yet ruled her death a homicide. They still don't know her cause of death.

We saw the same with another KY woman Savannah Spurlock when her alleged murderer was initially charged only with Tampering with Evidence and Abuse of a Corpse when he was arrested. SS remains were so badly deteriorated that prosecutors are obviously having to use a lot of circumstantial evidence because of the lacking forensic evidence. MOO

I am almost 10 years late to this case, but as requested, I have started a Case Archive.
Unfortunately most of the early articles are wiped away, but I have a lot.

It is updated only to 1/31/20; just before her remains were found.
I will update and get caught up (hopefully) by the weekend.

Paige Johnson Case Archive:
Photobucket

SEP 23, 2022
www.fox19.com

For Paige Johnson’s family, yearly gathering soothes pain of her absence

Friday marks 12 years since Paige Johnson went missing. Still without the closure they need, her family continues to wonder what happened that night in September 2010 when Johnson disappeared.

[...]

Jacob Bumpass, a man the family has always suspected in the case, was indicted four months later on criminal charges including abuse of a corpse and evidence tampering but not murder.

[...]

The family returned to Devou Park in Covington Friday to remember Paige. They lay flowers and wreaths against a tree they planted in 2019.

“My stomach is in knots on this day,” said Alicen Franks, Paige’s cousin. “It’s scary.”

Paige’s remains still have not made their way to the family because the criminal investigation is ongoing, police say.

Paige’s family says they don’t even know if any personal items were found with her. They’ll have to attend Bumpass’s trial in person to get the facts.

[...]

Bumpass’ last pre-trial hearing is Monday. His trial is scheduled to begin in October.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carzytoaster
Back