Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
its prob been posted but i think the guys dad smelled a foul odor on his property and told his lawyer. from there i am guessing his lawyer told him to report it to LE

David A. Sparks, 23, of Lancaster was charged with abuse of a corpse and evidence tampering about 2 a.m. Thursday. He was booked into the Madison County jail at about 3:42 a.m.

Sparks’ lives at 3178 Fall Lick Road were the search was conducted, according to his arrest citation. The owner of the property wasn’t identified but it belongs to a relative of a suspect, Kentucky State Police trooper Robert Purdy said.

After a man’s attorney told police of the smell at the site, several law enforcement agencies joined in the search for Spurlock, a Madison County mother of four, and discovered the unidentified remains that “were located concealed in an unnatural position beneath the ground,” according to the arrest citation. bbm

[...]

In addition to the remains, police found evidence believed to be connected to a missing person’s case with the human remains, according to the citation. Spurlock went missing with a phone and small purse, police said previously when they released pictures of the items.

An autopsy was scheduled Thursday, and police said identification of the remains could come as early as Thursday.

https://www.kentucky.com/news/local/crime/article232533842.html

Wait. I meant the father of the guy that was arrested.
My point was that the father of the guy arrested (who we think is the one that reported the foul odor) does not need to collect the reward in order to give it to the children (which was your suggestion). Since Savannah's family is offering the reward, by not seeking to receive the reward, the funds would stay with the family, and with the children by extension. IMO JMO

ETA: It looks like the attorney reported the odor. So who knows who (if anyone) would be eligible for the reward. I'm sorry I even engaged in this topic. No offense intended to anyone.

My point was that the father of the guy arrested (who we think is the one that reported the foul odor) does not need to collect the reward in order to give it to the children (which was your suggestion). Since Savannah's family is offering the reward, by not seeking to receive the reward, the funds would stay with the family, and with the children by extension. IMO JMO
Duh... Sorry for being dense! I now understand!

Backing up a little bit here, why call an attorney for a foul smell? Thoughts on if he knows something?
We had a strange odor outside years ago that eventually came into our house and we called our police non-emergency number. They sent the fire department with their equipment to check for gas leaks, etc.

My thought is they knew their son was a "suspect". When they started to smell the odor, they most likely knew what it was. I live in the country and I can 100% tell when it's a dead animal smell versus something like gas. Very distinct and although I've never smelled a dead body (thankfully), I'm sure he automatically knew what it was. Thus contacting the attorney first.

I wonder if they will still be doing this show:

Published 9:27 a.m. ET July 10, 2019 | Updated 8:59 a.m. ET July 11, 2019
THURSDAY UPDATE: Human remains found, man arrested during search for Savannah Spurlock, authorities say

The case of Savannah Spurlock, the Kentucky mother who went missing in January after leaving a Lexington bar, will be spotlighted in a new Investigation Discoveryseries.

"The Missing," a new series that will air on the IDGo app, will feature Spurlock's story Friday, according to a network spokesperson.

Spurlock will be featured in one of the first five episodes of the series. A second set of five episodes will be released on the app on Aug. 2, the spokesperson said.
Mysterious case of missing Kentucky woman Savannah Spurlock featured in online series

DS at the time of SS disappearance did not live at the home on Falls licks Rd (Its his parents home)

He lived within the the city limits of Lancaster

It seems SS left with three men from the Other Bar

The man arrested lived at the time within the city limits and its my belief that's where they all went that night

I believe that DS's story was that SS left on foot from his own residence in town the next morning.

Where the story likely fell apart even very early on and caused LE to be suspicious was that her phone likely pinged near the parents home.

I believe that was the reason for the early searches on FLR not bc of DS telling investigators that they were there.

It's my belief that the other individuals likely left SS and DS alone and departed in the early morning hrs of that same night from DS home in town.
Ground was too hard to dig then too, iirc. I think it was a recent move, and close to the barn. We don't know, could be that his parents called in the credible tip.

I mean, her body was found on her property, and all signs point to him having put her there. He was the last person seen with her leaving the bar. He's the last person to actually have seen her before she went missing/was murdered. I agree in the sense I wouldn't be immediately wishing for his death right now. But if it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck ..., JMO

That's different than him being charged and convicted of murdering her. And even that's different than him actually murdering her.

He's currently been arrested and charged with evidence tampering and abusing a corpse. Those are his charges and there are already people saying he deserves the death penalty! Before a single shred of worthwhile information is released by LE or prosecution.

I'm not defending him, but it's alarming to see people saying that. Maybe she overdosed and he hid the body. Maybe one of the other people had more to do with it. Maybe a lot of things.

What's definitely the case now and today however is that he hasn't been charged with her murder, gone to trial, and subsequently been convicted of her murder. They haven't even established that she was murdered.

Savannah Spurlock person of interest arrested on desecration charges after human remains found, cops say

The latest development came after a man reported a foul odor coming from the property, where Sparks lives, according to an arrest citation for Sparks obtained by WKYT. That tip coupled with Sparks being "the primary suspect in a missing persons investigation" led to the search, during which officials say they found remains -- and other items -- buried on the property.

"These items were last known to be in the control of only two individuals, the missing person, and the above," the citation states, according to WKYT.

Lt. Col. Rodney Richardson, assistant chief of police with the Richmond Police Department, told Fox News that Spurlock’s last known location was at the home in Garrard County – located some 40 miles from the bar.

The house reportedly belongs to Sparks' parents and had been previously searched on Jan 22, police said, according to Lexington’s WLEX-TV.
No nitpicking or anything but was he ever officially considered a suspect? Asking because we were not allowed to refer to him here in the past. I might have missed him being named a suspect. Just curious.

Ground was too hard to dig then too, iirc. I think it was a recent move, and close to the barn. We don't know, could be that his parents called in the credible tip.
I think the media is in a tizzy trying to get things out so hard to know what to believe yet. One of the 1st articles video portion linked here said it was a neighbor.

My thought is they knew their son was a "suspect". When they started to smell the odor, they most likely knew what it was. I live in the country and I can 100% tell when it's a dead animal smell versus something like gas. Very distinct and although I've never smelled a dead body (thankfully), I'm sure he automatically knew what it was. Thus contacting the attorney first.

I believe it was the parent(s). But after 6 months, and 3 months in the heat, the worst of the decomposition odor would be gone. So they must have smelled something foul on their property well before this...and sat on it.

I kind of don’t think she was buried where she was found for very long. It would’ve been really difficult to bury her there after it happened. It’s also been a hot summer. We’ve had really hot weather for months now, on top of a lot of rain and saturation. I really think someone would have noticed the odor sooner had she been there the entire time.

That's different than him being charged and convicted of murdering her. And even that's different than him actually murdering her.

He's currently been arrested and charged with evidence tampering and abusing a corpse. Those are his charges and there are already people saying he deserves the death penalty! Before a single shred of worthwhile information is released by LE or prosecution.

I'm not defending him, but it's alarming to see people saying that. Maybe she overdosed and he hid the body. Maybe one of the other people had more to do with it. Maybe a lot of things.

Whats definitely the case now and today however is that he hasn't been charged with her murder, gone to trial, and subsequently been convicted of her murder. They haven't even established that she was murdered.

And I said I didn't call for his death. I said I agreed people shouldn't be clamoring for him to be put to death. I'll bet my life that she was murdered. Even if she wasn't, IF she overdosed, then he's still a criminal who should be in jail. In that scenario, I don't see how it's okay for him to hide her body under ground for half a year (at least -- would have been longer if not found yesterday) from her family, from a burial, from some form of closure for them because what? He doesn't want to take a drug charge? Did he supply drugs that she overdosed on? Then he deserves at least manslaughter.

Again, I'm not saying he should be put to death. I'm just saying that in my own opinion, and it's just one person's opinion, he's committed at least one crime (potentially more), with lots of impacted victims since this girl had a family. I'm not going to say anyone else shouldn't feel a way or condemn other's feelings. We all have opinions, even the ones I don't agree with.

I mean, her body was found on her property, and all signs point to him having put her there. He was the last person seen with her leaving the bar. He's the last person to actually have seen her before she went missing/was murdered. I agree in the sense I wouldn't be immediately wishing for his death right now. But if it walks like a duck, and it talks like a duck ..., JMO
I would love to see a prosecutor present that case lol. Often times LE will go after a weaker link if there is more than one person. After interviewing all 3 they would no who that is if one or more is guilty.

July 1, 2019

Op-ed by Savannah's Aunt Lisa

Six months ago my family’s world was blown apart. I received a phone call that our niece, Savannah Spurlock, was missing after a night out at the bar with friends. Initially, we figured she might be sleeping off her night somewhere. But hours turned to days, weeks, and now months. I’ve been immersed into a world I never wished or dreamed to be.

A world full of darkness, desperation, tears, unanswered questions, phone calls with police, daily interactions with the public, and countless nights of nightmares and delusions. But the answers seem to be right there. Three people seen leaving the bar with her. Three people who brought her to a home in Garrard County. Three people who remain unnamed publicly. Three people questioned, re-questioned, released, but never cleared.

And Savannah’s case is not alone in this seemingly obvious answer. Brookelyn Farthing, missing six years, and Crystal Rogers, missing four years, both have seemingly obvious answers. What is preventing justice for these women? Women who are valuable human beings, worthy to be found. Could it be, that a “no-snitch culture” is ruling these rural KY areas? How can we help people living with knowledge, but in fear for their safety if they come forward?

Admittedly, my perspective is limited. I live in an Ohio suburb far from the ins and outs of the area where Savannah went missing. In my naiveté and exasperation I think, just move away from the area so that you can’t receive backlash for telling police what you know. But it’s not that simple. There are so many layers to a “no-snitch culture.” Self preservation and fear of retaliation seem to be at the core. I’ve been told by locals that people with information won’t talk to police. “Snitches end up in ditches," a phrase we've heard many times before.

[...]

https://www.kentucky.com/opinion/op-ed/article232156447.html

May the remaining missing women in Kentucky not be forgotten.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth