Found Deceased KY - Savannah Spurlock, 22, left 'The Other Bar' with 2 men, Richmond, 4 Jan 2019 #5 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes! Many people have tried bringing awareness to this law and having it changed because statistics showed that 80% of users use with another person but 80% of overdose victims are found alone.
Family members and loved ones that lost someone due to an overdose (and are told evidence shows that they were not alone and basically were left to die) are typically the ones fighting for this law to change so people aren't afraid to call for help, in fear of what they will face criminally, and so lives can be saved.
This created the Good Samaritan Law.
Kentucky law changed to the good samaritan law in 2018, I believe. I am only informed of this because I live on the border of IN, OH and KY.
But it isn't a law in every state. And doesn't guarantee that the person will still call if an overdose occurs. So for me, this law being in effect doesn't dismiss the theory/speculation that she may have overdosed. People freak in the moment and act out of fear. Usually while they're high as a kite. And.. well.. I would presume one would not make the best of decisions while under the influence of drugs ha. Not to mention the fact that heroin directly affects the "decision making" area in the brain.. ‍♀️

I don't comment much on this case, I just follow, but I want to say I personally don't think she overdosed imo. However, I also want to say this law is interesting discussion because I think most people know some case where it appears someone did not call for help because of the fear they were with someone when they died and the activity involved was illegal, for instance, doing drugs and they fear they will be blamed/punished.

In this case, however, this man belongs in prison--at least him, we await hearing further whether others knew anything, etc. or were involved. If such were the case (overdose or accident, etc.), he had every opportunity to come clean long before now over and over and not do what he has done to her body, to her family, etc.--hec* even done to his own family most likely. I do not believe it was an overdose by the victim. I think it is what more commonly is the case. To me, if he wanted a chance of most people believing otherwise, again, he would have come clean at some point in all of this. Instead, he continued to lie or so it appears and was "caught" and never confessed or did the right thing.

Jmo though.

I don't comment much on this case, I just follow, but I want to say I personally don't think she overdosed imo. However, I also want to say this law is interesting discussion because I think most people know some case where it appears someone did not call for help because of the fear they were with someone when they died and the activity involved was illegal, for instance, doing drugs and they fear they will be blamed/punished.

In this case, however, this man belongs in prison--at least him, we await hearing further whether others knew anything, etc. or were involved. If such were the case (overdose or accident, etc.), he had every opportunity to come clean long before now over and over and not do what he has done to her body, to her family, etc.--hec* even done to his own family most likely. I do not believe it was an overdose by the victim. I think it is what more commonly is the case. To me, if he wanted a chance of most people believing otherwise, again, he would have come clean at some point in all of this. Instead, he continued to lie or so it appears and was "caught" and never confessed or did the right thing.

Jmo though.

Obviously, this guy is awful but burying a body in your parent's backyard that's an added level of disrespect. If I did that in my parents yard my mom would murder me. I would choose prison over that. I'm glad Savannah has been found and that her parents can attempt to move on. Was she a trophy to DS or an FU to his family? Or maybe he is just not very bright.

Obviously, this guy is awful but burying a body in your parent's backyard that's an added level of disrespect. If I did that in my parents yard my mom would murder me. I would choose prison over that. I'm glad Savannah has been found and that her parents can attempt to move on. Was she a trophy to DS or an FU to his family? Or maybe he is just not very bright.

There is something to his putting her on his parents' property that I wonder what an expert would say about that... It is something added or as you say, some major level of disrespect or intent. I guess it could be so simple as that is a property he had access to and then moved there as well so he could keep an eye out... It seems like it could be deeper than that though...

If this family truly did not know anything, I will say I give credit for reporting the smell if that is what happened when they had to know their son was a suspect. It has to be a real internal battle to face that your child likely did this and know that calling authorities will effectively end your 20 something year old child's freedom/life as well.

They deserve some credit if that is the case.

Jmo.

I don't believe this was the case either.
But I don't think the law necessarily rules it out.
We are rationally talking and sensibly talking about if she did OD, then he made it worse (basically)
But someone on drugs (and possibly had been drinking all night at the bar) doesn't rationalize things in a sensible manner usually.

I 100% believe she was murdered or attacked and was killed from the attack. I am just stating why I can't deduct the OD theory from the list of possibilities I guess.
Either way is terribly sad and tragic. Im so happy that she will be returned to her family for the proper burial that girl deserves.
No reason for a young girl and mother of 4 to be taken so soon. Just a terrible, terrible tragedy :-(

We are rationally talking and sensibly talking about if she did OD, then he made it worse (basically)
But someone on drugs (and possibly had been drinking all night at the bar) doesn't rationalize things in a sensible manner usually.

I 100% believe she was murdered or attacked and was killed from the attack. I am just stating why I can't deduct the OD theory from the list of possibilities I guess.
Either way is terribly sad and tragic. Im so happy that she will be returned to her family for the proper burial that girl deserves.
No reason for a young girl and mother of 4 to be taken so soon. Just a terrible, terrible tragedy :-(

I agree. I should have made it more clear and I meant to that your information about that law was really interesting and in fact, is news to me and worthy of discussion.

I do agree anything could have happened here. The alleged perp (the one we know of at the moment) is young as well and could have very well thought life was over if he did not hide it regardless of what happened and it could have been an accident or OD.

I don't tend to believe that in this case but I don't know, none of us know, you are right, it can't truly be discounted, nothing can at the moment. I do think his actions afterwards in general though (and in most cases that are similar) say something all by themselves and that young or not, he made a conscious decision to hide her remains, continue lying to authorities, etc.

I as well am happy her family has some answers and has her back. I am sorry it ends any hope for them but they can lay her to rest and perhaps see justice.

Jmo.

Last edited:
I have a an old friend who was charged with manslaughter because him and his girlfriend, he was 18 & she was 16 took drugs together (opiods) on the eve of her 17th birthday while "partying". He woke up, she was dead in bed next to her. She brought the pills with her to his house & was a willing participant. He called 911 right away while he tried to do CPR although it was too late. He was absolutely devastated. No one thought he'd be charged, but he ended up serving 5 years for it. I think people have heard other stories like & panic when someone ODs thinking they will be held responsible.

Just the fact thatshe was inside a box, likely contorted to fit, is pretty "unnatural".
You can't just let them be 100% Scott free because they could shoot someone up with heroin to kill them and it would be impossible to prove without confession. I don't think SS was an OD death.

I agree. I should have made it more clear and I meant to that your information about that law was really interesting and in fact, is news to me and worthy of discussion.

I do agree anything could have happened here. The alleged perp (the one we know of at the moment) is young as well and could have very well thought life was over if he did not hide it regardless of what happened and it could have been an accident or OD.

I don't tend to believe that in this case but I don't know, none of us know, you are right, it can't truly be discounted, nothing can at the moment. I do think his actions afterwards in general though in most cases say something all by themselves and that young or not, he made a conscious decision to hide her remains, continue lying to authorities, etc.

I as well am happy her family has some answers and has her back. I am sorry it ends any hope for them but they can lay her to rest and perhaps see justice.

Jmo.

Yes! I agree with everything said. We go back and forth on these forums and discussion boards and speculate or theorize what may have happened. But alot of scenarios are dismissed because common sense or logic is factored into these possibilities and make it seem unlikely to outsiders.
But in that heat of the moment and tragedy, with adrenaline and mind racing faster than ever before, logic and common sense are out the window. There's really no way of narrowing it down or knowing what happened until such details are released by LE.

The unknown still will drive me insane until released though. So I have to paint a picture of what happened or what makes sense, fitting the puzzle pieces around the little information or details released and then allowing my brain to rest from trying to make sense of things. This is why I don't watch the news ha

Yes! I agree with everything said. We go back and forth on these forums and discussion boards and speculate or theorize what may have happened. But alot of scenarios are dismissed because common sense or logic is factored into these possibilities and make it seem unlikely to outsiders.
But in that heat of the moment and tragedy, with adrenaline and mind racing faster than ever before, logic and common sense are out the window. There's really no way of narrowing it down or knowing what happened until such details are released by LE.

The unknown still will drive me insane until released though. So I have to paint a picture of what happened or what makes sense, fitting the puzzle pieces around the little information or details released and then allowing my brain to rest from trying to make sense of things. This is why I don't watch the news ha

Lol. We actually agree. I don't watch the news either. And connecting the few dots or putting together the few puzzle pieces they allow us to have in each case can drive a person half insane... And then we have to wonder if those dots or pieces are even correct and what the media may have right or wrong! :D

I don't think anybody including LE has discounted the idea of OD as cause of death.

DS was arrested on desecration and tampering charges only.

The only certainty was her death was not natural, accident, or suicide. By her own last words with her mom, SS expected to be home (with her children) in the morning.

Only time will tell what other evidence is uncovered.

MOO

Ky started federally charging people who could be proven to be the source of an OD. It was in the news quite a bit before and after SS disappeared. Because of that, it’s the only reason I can think of that would lead someone to hide a person who has OD’d. It’s usually reserved for dealers, doctors, pharmacists, people who actually deal or prescribe a LOT. I could see how that could be misconstrued, prompting someone to do something incredibly stupid in the event of a person overdosing. On the one hand, you have the Good Samaritan law, and on the other, you have the potential for federal charges. Regardless, I don’t understand how anyone could discard another human the way he did.

Last edited:
Lol. We actually agree. I don't watch the news either. And connecting the few dots or putting together the few puzzle pieces they allow us to have in each case can drive a person half insane... And then we have to wonder if those dots or pieces are even correct and what the media may have right or wrong! :D

Yes! I just document all of my theories here so that afterwards, when all of the details have been revealed, I can know if I have a future in investigating or no . Lol

I don't think anybody including LE has discounted the idea of OD as cause of death.

The only certainty was her death was not natural, accident, or suicide. By her own last words with her mom, SS expected to be home (with her children) in the morning.

MOO

I would bet my life savings that they arrested him on the charges they did with abuse to a corpse because of the "unnatural position" in which she was found. Its proof she was moved and the probable cause was evident due to the link he has to the property and obviously being one of the last to see her.
Other than that, I don't think anything can be ruled out as far as her cause of death. I can only hope and pray that it wasn't anything to cause that poor girl any suffering.
I also am hoping that for her poor family! They have been through so much! It hurts my heart to watch them

Ky started federally charging people who could be proven to be the source of an OD. It was in the news quite a bit before and after SS disappeared. Because of that, it’s the only reason I can think of that would lead someone to hide a person who has OD’d. It’s usually reserved for dealers, doctors, pharmacists, people who actually deal or prescribe a LOT. I could see how that could be misconstrued, prompting someone to do something incredibly stupid in the event of a person overdosing. On the one hand, you have the Good Samaritan law, and on the other, you have the potential for federal charges. Regardless, I don’t understand how anyone could discard another human the way he did.

Indiana also holds the dealer responsible and sold the victim the drug that caused them to OD.
But I am curious what that means. If Bob bought from his dealer, Frank, but Bob met Delilah at the bar and took her to his house where they both used heroin and Delilah OD's... is Frank, Bob or both responsible? Or is Bob protected by the Good Samaritan Law? Or, does cash need to be exchanged or a cost determined for payment to consider it a "sale" for them to charge him?
I never really thought about the circumstances or if the law warrants them immunity/protection completely or only if using together and report the overdose, not a dealer who sold it to them and reports it.

Im going to look into it now

MOO

I REALLY want to believe it was an OD and he freaked out and made some terrible decisions. It’s a little easier to swallow than a violent murder. I understand why many on here don’t think that’s the case, but I’m going to hang on to that idea until we know more. If she OD’d then he must have been in a sheer hell of guilt and worry this whole time, but if he’s a sociopath then he probably just didn’t care. :(

I would bet my life savings that they arrested him on the charges they did with abuse to a corpse because of the "unnatural position" in which she was found. Its proof she was moved and the probable cause was evident due to the link he has to the property and obviously being one of the last to see her.
Other than that, I don't think anything can be ruled out as far as her cause of death. I can only hope and pray that it wasn't anything to cause that poor girl any suffering.
I also am hoping that for her poor family! They have been through so much! It hurts my heart to watch them

Following the law of the land -- it hurts that this charge in KY is only a misdemeanor offense. (Just learned following another case in Ohio that "outrage the sensibilities of a community" will up the charge to a felony. Outrage a "family" is still a misdemeanor). :eek:

525.120 Abuse of corpse.
(1) A person is guilty of abuse of a corpse when except as authorized by law he intentionally treats a corpse in a way that would outrage ordinary family sensibilities. A person shall also be guilty of abuse of a corpse if that person enters into a contract and accepts remuneration for the preparation of a corpse for burial or the burial or cremation of a corpse and then deliberately fails to prepare, bury, or cremate that corpse in accordance with that contract.
(2) Abuse of a corpse is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the act attempted or committed involved sexual intercourse or deviate sexual intercourse with the corpse or the deliberate failure to prepare, bury, or cremate a corpse after the acceptance of remuneration in accordance with any contract negotiated, in which case it is a Class D felony.

Effective: July 15, 2002
History: Amended 2002 Ky. Acts ch. 276, sec. 8, effective July 15, 2002. -- Amended 2000
Ky. Acts ch. 490, sec. 1, effective July 14, 2000. -- Created 1974 Ky. Acts ch. 406, sec. 222, effective January 1, 1975.

Indiana also holds the dealer responsible and sold the victim the drug that caused them to OD.
But I am curious what that means. If Bob bought from his dealer, Frank, but Bob met Delilah at the bar and took her to his house where they both used heroin and Delilah OD's... is Frank, Bob or both responsible? Or is Bob protected by the Good Samaritan Law? Or, does cash need to be exchanged or a cost determined for payment to consider it a "sale" for them to charge him?
I never really thought about the circumstances or if the law warrants them immunity/protection completely or only if using together and report the overdose, not a dealer who sold it to them and reports it.

Im going to look into it now
Ohio holds the dealer responsible too.

Hello all,

Thank you for your support of our family during this time. I will probably bow out of here from now on as the next phase will be incredibly painful. We will let police make the noise now. Thank you for your respectful discussions on this forum throughout. It was the only place I felt comfortable participating (if ever so briefly). Much love to u all. If you are local, there will be a public visitation this Tuesday from 5pm-9pm at Oldham, Roberts, & Powell Funeral Home. The hearing tomorrow will allow media.

Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member