DNA Solves
DNA Solves

MadMcGoo

Staff member
Reaction score
Steven Doc Gabbard
steven_doc_gabbard_1.jpg
steven_doc_gabbard_2.jpg

Gabbard, circa 2002 (NamUs describes the second photo as: “Steven Gabbard, this is the correct photo of Steven”)

Missing Since: June 10, 2002
Missing From: Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky
Classification: Missing
Sex: Male
Race: White
Height: 6’2” - 6’4” (72 - 74 inches)
Weight: 190 - 200 pounds
Hair Color: Black or Brown (Bald on crown of head)
Facial Hair: Mustache
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Gabbard wears an upper denture plate. He has a scar over his left eye.

Clothing/Jewelry Description: A black Outlaws t-shirt, a black leather vest, blue jeans, black Hartley boots and a gold rope necklace with a Harley Davidson emblem. Carrying a gold and silver money clip, a pocketknife, a silver chain watch and a black wallet with a Harley Davidson logo.

Details of Disappearance:
Gabbard was last seen at his residence in the 2900 block of Alford Avenue in Louisville, Kentucky on June 10, 2002. He was driving a blue Harley Davidson motorcycle at the time, and told his family he was going to Indianapolis, Indiana. He has never been heard from again. Gabbard was reported missing ten days later. Few details are available in his case.

Investigating Agency:
Louisville Metropolitan Police Department 502-572-3480

I was able to view one record for Steven on Ancestry without paying for a subscription. I figure it must be him - it lists a birth and death date. There are few more records that someone with an account may be able to access.

https://www.ancestry.com/wiz/Records/SEO~Records/aee61257-397a-4a39-9e8b-d5c65c9f65f1#/IndexView
U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014

Steven D. Gabbard

Social Security Number: *advertiser censored*-xx-xxxx
Birth Date: 19 Jun 1968
Issue year: 1984
Issue State: Kentucky
Last Residence: 40503, Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky
Death Date: 31 Jan 2010

I think Steven could be this UID: KY - KY - Louisville, HispMale UP7293, 30-40, murdered, living photo, Dec'09 , but I’ve been trying to find something that would explain the discrepancies; height and the Doe’s suspected place of origin, Mexico or Honduras.

My guess is Steven's family had him declared legally dead but I don't think he's the UID. It would appear that Steven was in the Outlaws Motorcycle Club. To me, that indicates the disappearance was gang related. Per Wikipedia, they have a rivalry with the Hell's Angels. Who knows if he left to hide away from the gang or if something more nefarious happened.

My main reason for thinking Steven and the Doe aren't the same is because it's really hard to avoid people you know in Louisville. Being in a gang, you aren't going to be able to hide for long.

That Ancestry info is not him. There is a different Steven Doc Gabbard about the same age who lived in Louisville. This Steven Doc Gabbard's birthday is September 14, 1963 & he was born in Hamilton Ohio. He also previously lived in Missouri & Indiana. I believe he left MO & moved to KY in about 1992.

Last edited:
My guess is Steven's family had him declared legally dead but I don't think he's the UID. It would appear that Steven was in the Outlaws Motorcycle Club. To me, that indicates the disappearance was gang related. Per Wikipedia, they have a rivalry with the Hell's Angels. Who knows if he left to hide away from the gang or if something more nefarious happened.

My main reason for thinking Steven and the Doe aren't the same is because it's really hard to avoid people you know in Louisville. Being in a gang, you aren't going to be able to hide for long.
He was an informant working with the FBI. They used his info to send some of the Outlaws to prison on RICO charges. Look up the case info for Jason Gregory Fowler. They presented evidence in court showing Fowler had Steve killed because he possessed incriminating photo evidence of Outlaws members.

I was able to view one record for Steven on Ancestry without paying for a subscription. I figure it must be him - it lists a birth and death date. There are few more records that someone with an account may be able to access.

Your Information - Ancestry
U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014

Steven D. Gabbard

Social Security Number: *advertiser censored*-xx-xxxx
Birth Date: 19 Jun 1968
Issue year: 1984
Issue State: Kentucky
Last Residence: 40503, Lexington, Fayette, Kentucky
Death Date: 31 Jan 2010

I think Steven could be this UID: KY - KY - Louisville, HispMale UP7293, 30-40, murdered, living photo, Dec'09 , but I’ve been trying to find something that would explain the discrepancies; height and the Doe’s suspected place of origin, Mexico or Honduras.

Also, that unidentified person is definitely not him. That person was 5'4". Steve was a whole foot taller than that. He was 6'4".

That Ancestry info is not him. There is a different Steven Doc Gabbard about the same age who lived in Louisville. This Steven Doc Gabbard's birthday is September 14, 1963 & he was born in Hamilton Ohio. He also previously lived in Missouri & Indiana. I believe he left MO & moved to KY in about 1992.
Thank you for looking that up. I finally have a subscription again and can see all the records. That name is fairly unique but there are a couple born around the same time and living in the general area.

That’s interesting that he was an informant. Do you have a link to that information? TIA

Thank you for looking that up. I finally have a subscription again and can see all the records. That name is fairly unique but there are a couple born around the same time and living in the general area.

That’s interesting that he was an informant. Do you have a link to that information? TIA
There were actually about 4 or 5 Steven Doc Gabbards. It was a family name on his father's side going back to the 1800s. The one you mentioned who died in 2010 is a very distant cousin of his.

Here is a link to the appeal by Jason Gregory Fowler on his RICO conviction. FindLaw's United States Sixth Circuit case and opinions. In it Fowler attempted to argue that the original court should not have allowed the prosecutors to present evidence that he had murdered Steve in 2002. It briefly mentions the motive in the appeal & states that he had incriminating photographs. However, I do not have a link to the original conviction files & documents that discussed his informant activities in further detail. The appeals court upheld that the murder evidence was admissible.

By the way, Steve Gabbard was my uncle, so that is how I know this information is accurate.

By the way, Steve Gabbard was my uncle, so that is how I know this information is accurate.
Thank you for sharing! I truly hope your uncle can be found and justice served in his case.

I do have a question that you may be able to answer. There are two photographs of Steve they look quite different from each other, I can’t tell if it’s just the photo editing or not. Are you able to comment on that? Are they both him or only one? TIA

Reactions: ANW
Thank you for sharing! I truly hope your uncle can be found and justice served in his case.

I do have a question that you may be able to answer. There are two photographs of Steve they look quite different from each other, I can’t tell if it’s just the photo editing or not. Are you able to comment on that? Are they both him or only one? TIA
They are both him. I moved out west & had not seen him or had any contact with him in at least a decade before his murder, but I can say for sure that the one with the mustache & necklaces is the more accurate one. His hair & eyes were jet black, so it must have just been bad lighting in the other one. The lighter picture really looks nothing like him. I will look to see if I can find other photographs of him.

They are both him. I moved out west & had not seen him or had any contact with him in at least a decade before his murder, but I can say for sure that the one with the mustache & necklaces is the more accurate one. His hair & eyes were jet black, so it must have just been bad lighting in the other one. The lighter picture really looks nothing like him. I will look to see if I can find other photographs of him.
Thank you so much for clarifying that!

After looking around a little bit, this is the only picture of him I found right off. He was very young, probably only about 13, but it will still give a better idea of his general features. His hair was much darker as an adult. Like I said, it was jet black. I know I have many more pics of him as an adult that are packed away in my attic. I will try to dig them out soon & will come back & update you when I do.

Attachments

• Steve Gabbard.jpg
    Steve Gabbard.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 14
After looking around a little bit, this is the only picture of him I found right off. He was very young, probably only about 13, but it will still give a better idea of his general features. His hair was much darker as an adult. Like I said, it was jet black. I know I have many more pics of him as an adult that are packed away in my attic. I will try to dig them out soon & will come back & update you when I do.
Thank you again for sharing all this information. It’s always helpful to have friends or family join in this forum!

I encourage you to try and become a verified insider for your uncle’s case here. It will allow you to post freely without having to provide a source for the information you provide. Here is a link providing the information on how to do that. Let me know if I can help in any way!

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters

Thank you again for sharing all this information. It’s always helpful to have friends or family join in this forum!

I encourage you to try and become a verified insider for your uncle’s case here. It will allow you to post freely without having to provide a source for the information you provide. Here is a link providing the information on how to do that. Let me know if I can help in any way!

Verification Process for Professional or Insider Posters
Thank you for that info! I will do that.

The Monroe County Sheriff's Office has positively identified skeletal remains found by a turkey hunter in May 2004.

The remains were found on Richardson Road, near Lake Lemon in northeast Monroe County. Evidence at the scene led detectives to believe a homicide likely occurred.

Thanks to funding from the Monroe County Council, investigators partnered with Othram to get a forensic genealogy DNA exanimation that compared DNA of family members with those recovered during an investigation.

The remains were confirmed to be those of Steven Gabbard, of Louisville, Kentucky, who was 38 years old at the time he was reported missing by family members. Gabbard was last known to be in Indianapolis.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris Giles
Back