LA LA - Belle Chasse, WhtMale 16-17, UP88342, hanged, suicide note, Feb'75 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Ok, so do we have a sense of why Faces--at least I believe it was Faces--seems to agree with the overall assessment of age, etc conducted by the physician who did the post mortem for BCJD?
Sorry, I just checked LSU Faces site and they have him listed as 16-18 in fact.

Thats a bit more reasonable and I suspect 15-20 is not beyond the realms of possibilty.

They also have him as 5'8" - 6'0" whereas on DoeNetwork they have 5'10"-6'0"

So which is it? The height estimation has always REALLy bothered me because they guy was literally right there! They only had to measure him! Why was it an estimate?

Also, I found this while searching the original thread: Bayard Cousins also has a unique scar on one of his fingers. We may be able to add this to possible reasons he could be ruled out. It starts to become difficult to keep all of the In favor/Against straight, so almost feel it could be helpful if we had a chart with the images @Romulus shared with traits attached for anyone we all feel has a plausible chance of considerationView attachment 488357
I think the chart is an excellent idea! I agree, it is getting a little hard to remeber everyone haha

This would seemingly make Cousins a less likely candidate, yes. Of course it depends how big/noticeable this scar was?

Alan Roger Bourque – The Charley Project

bourque_alan.jpg
1709737235987.png

• Missing Since 03/10/1970
  • Missing From New Orleans, Louisiana
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/28/1950 (71)
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 160 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Bourque failed to report for duty at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi on February 9, 1970. He had been transferred there for advanced training after completing basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas; he was supposed to serve a six-month Air National Guard tour.

He was last seen a month later, March 10, on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana during Mardi Gras. He has never been heard from again. Bourque lived in Manchester, New Hampshire at the time of his disappearance. Few details are available in his case.

THE CHARLEY PROJECT

pixel.gif

Dermot Faulkner Kelly

dermot_faulkner_kelly_1.jpg
kelly_dermot2.jpg
1709738142217.png

Dermot, circa 1972; Age-progression to age 60 (circa 2015)

• Missing Since: 01/30/1972
  • Missing From: Oglesby, Illinois
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Sex: Male
  • Race: White
  • Date of Birth 07/27/1955 (68)
  • Height and Weight: 6'0, 150 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry: Description A black and white striped jacket, a t-shirt, blue jeans, boots and an Accutron watch.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Dermot was last seen leaving his family's home in Oglesby, Illinois at 1:15 or 1:30 p.m. on January 30, 1972. He took a .22 caliber rifle and said he was going to the woods along the Vermilion River for target practice. He never returned to his residence and has not been heard from again.
When Dermot didn't return home by 3:00, his parents called the police and a search was launched by 5:00 p.m. The day was very cold and during the night, the temperature in the area dropped below zero. The following afternoon, searchers found Dermot's boots and jacket on the bank of the Vermilion River where it fed into the Illinois River. A set of bare footprints led off the riverbank and twenty feet into the river, which was partially frozen, but there were no return prints. Nearby there was a rifle-shaped impression in the snow.

Authorities assumed Dermot had fallen in the river and sent divers in to find his body. They didn't find it, but did find a rifle under the ice. The gun was presumed to be Dermot's. Its telescopic sight was missing. Dermot's parents stated he wasn't involved with drugs and alcohol in 1972 and didn't seem to be troubled. He was a junior at St. Bede's Academy and had a B-average, although his family and teachers stated he is extremely intelligent and capable of achieving better grades. He had missed weeks of class in the fall of 1971 while he received medical treatment in Chicago.

His loved ones described him as a quiet and contemplative teenager who enjoyed reading. His father stated Dermot was troubled by what he saw as inequities and hypocrisy in society. He has four siblings and lived in a comfortable middle-class home.
In 1973, the Kelly family's doctor's wife thought she saw Dermot in Chicago. This sighting was never confirmed, but it led his parents to believe he hadn't drowned but had run away from home instead. It would be highly unusual for a person to die in the Vermilion River and have their body never resurface. A few days prior to his disappearance, Dermot had said he wanted to go away and make a new life for himself. He was carrying only one dollar and some change, and left behind his wallet, identification, driver's license, clothing and other belongings.

His family believed he left of his own accord and possibly have embarked on a transient lifestyle, traveling around the country and working odd jobs. In spite of an extensive search, there have been no solid clues to Dermot's whereabouts since 1972. He was declared legally dead in 1992, and both of his parents are now deceased. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

• LaSalle County Sheriff's Office 815-433-2161

Source Information

Last edited:
Alan Roger Bourque – The Charley Project

bourque_alan.jpg
View attachment 488384

• Missing Since 03/10/1970
  • Missing From New Orleans, Louisiana
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 05/28/1950 (71)
  • Age 19 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'8, 160 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Bourque failed to report for duty at Keesler Air Force Base in Biloxi, Mississippi on February 9, 1970. He had been transferred there for advanced training after completing basic training at Lackland Air Force Base in Texas; he was supposed to serve a six-month Air National Guard tour.

He was last seen a month later, March 10, on Bourbon Street in New Orleans, Louisiana during Mardi Gras. He has never been heard from again. Bourque lived in Manchester, New Hampshire at the time of his disappearance. Few details are available in his case.

THE CHARLEY PROJECT

pixel.gif

Dermot Faulkner Kelly

dermot_faulkner_kelly_1.jpg
kelly_dermot2.jpg
View attachment 488387

Dermot, circa 1972; Age-progression to age 60 (circa 2015)

• Missing Since: 01/30/1972
  • Missing From: Oglesby, Illinois
  • Classification: Endangered Missing
  • Sex: Male
  • Race: White
  • Date of Birth 07/27/1955 (68)
  • Height and Weight: 6'0, 150 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry: Description A black and white striped jacket, a t-shirt, blue jeans, boots and an Accutron watch.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian male. Blond hair, blue eyes.

Details of Disappearance

Dermot was last seen leaving his family's home in Oglesby, Illinois at 1:15 or 1:30 p.m. on January 30, 1972. He took a .22 caliber rifle and said he was going to the woods along the Vermilion River for target practice. He never returned to his residence and has not been heard from again.
When Dermot didn't return home by 3:00, his parents called the police and a search was launched by 5:00 p.m. The day was very cold and during the night, the temperature in the area dropped below zero. The following afternoon, searchers found Dermot's boots and jacket on the bank of the Vermilion River where it fed into the Illinois River. A set of bare footprints led off the riverbank and twenty feet into the river, which was partially frozen, but there were no return prints. Nearby there was a rifle-shaped impression in the snow.

Authorities assumed Dermot had fallen in the river and sent divers in to find his body. They didn't find it, but did find a rifle under the ice. The gun was presumed to be Dermot's. Its telescopic sight was missing. Dermot's parents stated he wasn't involved with drugs and alcohol in 1972 and didn't seem to be troubled. He was a junior at St. Bede's Academy and had a B-average, although his family and teachers stated he is extremely intelligent and capable of achieving better grades. He had missed weeks of class in the fall of 1971 while he received medical treatment in Chicago.

His loved ones described him as a quiet and contemplative teenager who enjoyed reading. His father stated Dermot was troubled by what he saw as inequities and hypocrisy in society. He has four siblings and lived in a comfortable middle-class home.
In 1973, the Kelly family's doctor's wife thought she saw Dermot in Chicago. This sighting was never confirmed, but it led his parents to believe he hadn't drowned but had run away from home instead. It would be highly unusual for a person to die in the Vermilion River and have their body never resurface. A few days prior to his disappearance, Dermot had said he wanted to go away and make a new life for himself. He was carrying only one dollar and some change, and left behind his wallet, identification, driver's license, clothing and other belongings.

His family believed he left of his own accord and possibly have embarked on a transient lifestyle, traveling around the country and working odd jobs. In spite of an extensive search, there have been no solid clues to Dermot's whereabouts since 1972. He was declared legally dead in 1992, and both of his parents are now deceased. His case remains unsolved.

Investigating Agency

• LaSalle County Sheriff's Office 815-433-2161

Source Information

I know Dermot Kelly's case well. I would say his personality certainly fits BCJD; he went to a catholic school and was troubled by society. He didn't have a great many friends. However he had blonde hair and blue eyes. I know we can't tell from the picture but since Mrs Wallace had described the hair as too dark, I don't think it could be mistaken for blonde. Dermot had recently had a medical procedure, but it was never revealed what this was; there has been speculation it was psychological.

Alan Bourque's eye colour would probably rule him out.

What we know physically about BCJD:
-Slightly protruding teeth
-Scar on inside of mouth
-Brown hair
-Brown eyes
-5'8" - 6 foot

We should probably look at missing persons who have these characteristics.

I know Dermot Kelly's case well. I would say his personality certainly fits BCJD; he went to a catholic school and was troubled by society. He didn't have a great many friends. However he had blonde hair and blue eyes. I know we can't tell from the picture but since Mrs Wallace had described the hair as too dark, I don't think it could be mistaken for blonde. Dermot had recently had a medical procedure, but it was never revealed what this was; there has been speculation it was psychological.

Alan Bourque's eye colour would probably rule him out.

-Scar on inside of mouth
-Brown hair
-Brown eyes
-5'8" - 6 foot

Wouldn't Alan also have fingerprints on file if he was in the airforce?

Yes, it was a medical examiner, albeit one who was a local gynecologist. The tipping point for me with the age likely being accurate is someone in the initial thread--I think it was Tony--went to lengths to speak with Faces and got their opinion as to whether the age estimate was accurate.

I know on a few occasions with cases in the 60s, 70s, etc the ages have been widely off, but there are other things here that also make this seem more like a teenager to me than a young adult.

Something that has not been mentioned yet, and I think we may be viewing through a more modern lens: in 1975 at 19, 20, 22, 23? You were an ADULT, unless you had some sort of delay. Not that your parents wouldn't have loved you, but I do not personally think your suicide note would have been as directed towards a "missing son". We know law enforcement wasn't even particularly sympathetic in many cases towards families who tried to file missing reports for those 18+, right?

I don't think the note from an adult would have been as "Dear Mom and Dad" written by someone the age of Bayard Cousins.... He was a college grad already, right? (Or do I have this confused?). I know he left the "Don't worry about me" note, but that is also consistent with a young adult who is just taking off. Maybe his parents were controlling/overprotective or it felt that way to him, and he left for somewhere to engage as an activist?

Where Charlie Wallace was involved in drugs, he certainly could have crossed the wrong people as well. Owed someone money, or overdosed somewhere and others got rid of his body.

The article states that Charlie had wanted to come home from the Halfway House and his father said no, he didn't think it was the right time yet and his other said Charlie was angry about that.
I don't think that sounds like someone who's family considered him an adult and it would fit with him telling them not to blame themselves.

One of my sons is 29, if he was to disappear I would still think of him as a missing son, I don't see why his age would make a difference, now or in the 70s?, being an adult wouldn't make him any less missing.

ETA- Charlie was 19, which is only a year older than the faces estimate.

Last edited:
-Scar on inside of mouth
-Brown hair
-Brown eyes
-5'8" - 6 foot

I tried to look for someone on Namus with these physical characteristics but I didn't find suitable profiles, but maybe in some profiles this information is not reported so you should always check all the profiles with that age group.

Missing Person/NamUs #MP99071
Lester Petry,
Male, White/Caucasian
Date of Last Contact: April 18, 1971
Missing From: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Missing Age: 18 Years

1709740883466.png1709740903514.png

Is too old perhaps but the rest fits, even if the scar is not mentioned.

Lester Petry,
Male, White/Caucasian

View attachment 488394View attachment 488395

Looks good; I would say it is a very good match, he even appears to have slightly protruding teeth in his other photo, and that long nose. Even the hair seems to fall in the correct direction on his forehead. He would have been nearly 23 in 1975 which is possibly too old, but may nit be a game changer. I wonder what he would have been doing for 3 years.
I couldn't find anything else about him, but I am intrigued by this one. I wonder what he was studying at the time he disappeared.

The height estimation has always REALLy bothered me because they guy was literally right there! They only had to measure him! Why was it an estimate?
An exact height is especially difficult to determine in hanging cases because the hanging can stretch a body out and make someone appear taller than they were in life.
(At least as far as I have read - I am no expert!)

LOL it was made by the local gynecologist who doubled as the coroner. I don't think Louisiana was using the medical examiner system at the time and this guy was probably an elected coroner. It is highly unlikely he had any forensic or pathological training.

The reason why I (MOO) believe strongly that this is CW is because there are some unique identifiers. Primarily both CW's own dentist and the odontologist Plaquemines was using verified that the dentals of BCJD and CW matched. Personally I find this pretty conclusive. In the era before DNA, dentals were the main tool used to identify people and they are still widely used today where DNA is not available, or to validate a potential match before using DNA. Dentals have been used successfully to identify millions of people, so why do we doubt that this one is accurate?
Secondly both CW and BCJD had a large scar on the inside of their mouth. I believe this is a unique identifier indicating a match.
I add in the circumstantial elements that Mrs Wallace claimed his feet matched CW's and his letter sounded like CW speaking to her and I get a positive match in my mind.

Height, weight and hair colour to me are not unique identifiers and may be shared by millions of people. I also think that the drawing should be taken with a pinch of salt; this is merely an artistic representation of what BCJD looked like; we have no idea if it was made by a forensic artist. The fact that it is in black and white is not helpful at all. There are many, many young men who have been shared here who look alot like this drawing, but do they also have the unique identifiers? HOWEVER--I want to remind everyone that The Wallace's neighbours ran round to show Mrs. Wallace the newspaper article because they recognised this as CW. That tells me it did indeed look like CW at the time (even though I don't see a massive similarity between BCJD and his High school photo, he may have changed since then).

Regarding age; again I don't think this can be so specific as 16-17. I can't think how you would narrow it down to that 1 year of age. What I would like to point out is that of all the things Mrs. Wallace said when trying to convince herself that this was not Charlie; she never said "because he looks too young". Therefore I think the age estimate should be more like 16-20.

Yes you're right, I believe she said the hair looks too dark to be Charlie's but then qualified the statement with "but how can you tell, his skin is so pale" (paraphrasing) so really she couldn't make a positive or negative ID based on hair colour and admitted as much.

Regarding the Does mentioned above:
- Earl Joggerst; I think he looks like a great potential match; but if his eyes were blue then that would seem to rule him out, no? He was also a good 3 inches shorter than BCJD's lower estimate.
-Orin Anderson also looks like a great match but his eyes were also blue. He had acne scars, but these weren't noted on BCJD.
-Anthony Andrzejewski had brain damage and an intellectual disability; it is stated specifically he couldn't write so that would rule him out.
-Roger Merton Day had a unique identifier in that his middle finger was crushed. This was not mentioned for BCJD.
-Edward Martin Zajac. The only thing that didn't match for him was that his hair was sandy blonde. Apart from that I couldn't rule him out.
I completely forgot to include another reason why I personally believe CW to be such a strong candidate. He had a history of trying to commit suicide so this would fit in with his pattern of behaviour.

Lester Petry,
Male, White/Caucasian

View attachment 488394View attachment 488395

His thread here in case there are any details which could be helpful: MN - MN - Lester Petry, 18, Minneapolis, April 18, 1971

I wish we knew a bit more about CWs attempts. I agree having a history of depression and attempts is concerning and something to keep in mind, but given the drug use, and altered mental status, I'm curious what that entailed?

BCJD seems to have really thought about what he was doing, and CW strikes me more as given to impulsivity. Why would he have gone all the way to Belle Chasse? If he wanted to kill himself, why not just do it where he was? I'm trying to understand the motivation for CW to disguise his identity, and coming up a bit short. It seems his struggles with addiction, and possibly any mental health issues linked to it, were already public knowledge.

The original thread & thank you! I followed a case last year where a very organized poster--not me, haha--kept a bit of a running "what we know" type of Master Post and it was very helpful.
Original first thread

I wish we knew a bit more about CWs attempts. I agree having a history of depression and attempts is concerning and something to keep in mind, but given the drug use, and altered mental status, I'm curious what that entailed?

BCJD seems to have really thought about what he was doing, and CW strikes me more as given to impulsivity. Why would he have gone all the way to Belle Chasse? If he wanted to kill himself, why not just do it where he was? I'm trying to understand the motivation for CW to disguise his identity, and coming up a bit short. It seems his struggles with addiction, and possibly any mental health issues linked to it, were already public knowledge.
I'm totally unqualified to make any comments on someone's mental state but I don't think it's possible to apply logic and reason and look for reasons why anyone in this state of anguish might do what they did. I can't explain why anyone would choose this location ...or any location for that matter. Regarding his identity I also don't know but I always got the impression that the letter to LE was a bit of an afterthought. Maybe he had a final pang of guilt about upsetting his parents. We can't know what is going through someone's head.

There's an element of his letter that intrigues me. "I was a withdrawn baby who became an unpleasant, withdrawn person". How would you know you were a withdrawn baby unless your parents told you? Could a withdrawn baby be something symptomatic of a form of autism or something perhaps? I just don't know enough, but someone else here may?

I'm totally unqualified to make any comments on someone's mental state but I don't think it's possible to apply logic and reason and look for reasons why anyone in this state of anguish might do what they did. I can't explain why anyone would choose this location ...or any location for that matter. Regarding his identity I also don't know but I always got the impression that the letter to LE was a bit of an afterthought. Maybe he had a final pang of guilt about upsetting his parents. We can't know what is going through someone's head.

There's an element of his letter that intrigues me. "I was a withdrawn baby who became an unpleasant, withdrawn person". How would you know you were a withdrawn baby unless your parents told you? Could a withdrawn baby be something symptomatic of a form of autism or something perhaps? I just don't know enough, but someone else here may?
I think it would depend on if this was a planned suicide or not. This is just my opinion from my own attempts. I’ve attempted three times without planning, impulsive attempts that were in my immediate area. The one planned attempt was actually out of the way, two states away from my main family. That was actually my hanging attempt, chosen because it was isolated and I thought no one would find me. We’ll never know for certain, but maybe BCJD thought the same.

I have autism, as does my sister. I was pretty outgoing as a baby, but my sister was withdrawn per our mother. She didn’t cry a lot, was a late speaker, didn’t make friends easy. Maybe that is what he meant? Some people with autism show signs as a baby.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bwitzke
Back