Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Bringing this forward for review...

911 caller "The windshield wipers are still on."
Good idea. This still bothers me. I mean, isn't it odd that the windshield wipers were on when it wasn't raining at all?

BTW, I deliberately chose the weather station just across the river from the crash site. Knowing our usual summer weather patterns and how systems generally move through the area, I'm confident that one would be most accurate. JMO

http://www.wunderground.com/persona...LANEWOR10#history/s20110605/e20110609/mcustom

------------

Bolded by me...

I seem to remember the accident report stating that it was clear and DRY that night.

According to the weather service there was rain on the 9th. It may not have been raining at 1am, but the mention of shoe in the mud and windsheild wipers on made me think wet roads played a part in addition to the 'speed and alcohol' mentioned in the police report. If not, then it's not a factor. imo

Good idea. This still bothers me. I mean, isn't it odd that the windshield wipers were on when it wasn't raining at all?
<rsbm>

We discussed earlier that Shane may have accidentally kicked it on while trying to get out of the car.

Am also thinking he may have turned the wipers on to clean the windshield and it obscured his vision at the time he was coming towards the curve.

<rsbm>

We discussed earlier that Shane may have accidentally kicked it on while trying to get out of the car.

Am also thinking he may have turned the wipers on to clean the windshield and it obscured his vision at the time he was coming towards the curve.
Those are both excellent possibilities. I think what actually bothers me most is how the 911 caller could see the ww were on. From the photos it seems impossible.

So, what's the story with the cell phone? I'm getting very discouraged with all the mixed information being posted.... :(

So, the coast guard was wrong? It would still be ringing if the phone was underwater?

I don't know the timing relative to the CG "pinging or calling" of Shane's cell phone. However hearing a ring in the handset by the caller and the initiator of a cell phone call means nothing. Only after a long period of time, or the world wide cell system realizes a phone isn't in range, its service is terminated, etc. would a cell phone system not give a ring sound to the caller.(generally)

Pinging is an automatic(unless initiated by special request or special equipment that is either from a legitimate cell phone tower or a covert emulator.

The CG and LE would have that capability if they wish to and have obtained the equipment.

The question is in the semantics and details, did CG PING or did CG CALL Shane's cell. If LE or CG PINGED Shane's cell phone, they knew exactly where the phone was geographically located, if it moved or if it was moving, etc.

I don't know the timing relative to the CG "pinging or calling" of Shane's cell phone. However hearing a ring in the handset by the caller and the initiator of a cell phone call means nothing. Only after a long period of time, or the world wide cell system realizes a phone isn't in range, its service is terminated, etc. would a cell phone system not give a ring sound to the caller.(generally)

Pinging is an automatic(unless initiated by special request or special equipment that is either from a legitimate cell phone tower or a covert emulator.

The CG and LE would have that capability if they wish to and have obtained the equipment.

The question is in the semantics and details, did CG PING or did CG CALL Shane's cell. If LE or CG PINGED Shane's cell phone, they knew exactly where the phone was geographically located, if it moved or if it was moving, etc.
We've ascertained that JPSO and the CG "pinged" the phone. Whether they used their own stingray equipment and software, or "pinged" the phone through the provider, we don't know, and I'm not sure it's relevant. What matters is that they (apparently) have the signal coordinates.

Many people "called" the number, according to Kenny. (So many, in fact, that the family put out the word to stop calling to preserve battery power in the device.)

I thought your last post was pretty clear. I'm not sure what's confusing about this issue.

On the windshield wipers being on. Some vehicles are designed to do certain things in a crash with things such as emg. flashers, shut fuel/stop engine, deploy air bag, etc.

I know some WW wipers are activated, but in my experience it depends on the position of the wiper switch(dash mounted vs steering column mounted).

I believe the air bag deploys and impacts or deflates and physically pulls on or activates the ww wiper switch or the operators knee activates them on impact.

Also as previously mentioned Shane may have bumped them exiting the vehicle.
Possibly the damage to the left front quarter panel interfered with the WW wiper motor mounted on the firewall under the hood on that side. Lots of possibilities. Looking at what happens upon an impact(owners manual) and Manuf. info. along with knowledge of the facts involved in the specific sequence of events should answer the how and why.

This is what I'm talking about in regard to the windshield wipers. I asked earlier, and didn't get a response. Could the car have been standing on its side when the 911 caller saw it? And then later fallen into this position? Is that a plausible scenario?

car-c.JPG

Alrighty then,,,
No need to get snarky.
So, please dont shoot me, but to be clear. You are saying..

"We've ascertained that JPSO and the CG "pinged" the phone. Whether they used their own stingray equipment and software, or "pinged" the phone through the provider, we don't know, and I'm not sure it's relevant. What matters is that they (apparently) have the signal coordinates."

That LE has the phone coordinates and they have simply 'kept' them from the family?

If this is true, then I will help Kenny proceed with the court order to release it, rather than pursue the carrier directly, given the little information they can provide at this late date.

Thanks for the clarification!

Alrighty then,,,
No need to get snarky.
So, please dont shoot me, but to be clear. You are saying..

"We've ascertained that JPSO and the CG "pinged" the phone. Whether they used their own stingray equipment and software, or "pinged" the phone through the provider, we don't know, and I'm not sure it's relevant. What matters is that they (apparently) have the signal coordinates."

That LE has the phone coordinates and they have simply 'kept' them from the family?

If this is true, then I will help Kenny proceed with the court order to release it, rather than pursue the carrier directly, given the little information they can provide at this late date.

Thanks for the clarification!
LE effectively shut that door when they told the family the information wouldn't be released because it's part of an open investigation. That means it is exempt under FOIA. (See the link you posted downstream.)

ETA: http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?folder=118

BTW, I deliberately chose the weather station just across the river from the crash site. Knowing our usual summer weather patterns and how systems generally move through the area, I'm confident that one would be most accurate. JMO

http://www.wunderground.com/persona...LANEWOR10#history/s20110605/e20110609/mcustom

------------

But the weather report I pulled up did say Rain/Thunder on the day Shane disappeared. But on the following day, it said no rain, so they might have been talking about June 10th between 12:30am-2am I would guess.

I agree, if there was no rain, why would the windshield wipers be on?

Satch

PS. Question about the windshield wipers answered. That some vehicles do that in an emergency situation. However, given the condition of Shane's car, I agree that it would be hard for the 9-1-1 caller to observer the windshield wipers.

PS. Question about the windshield wipers answered. That some vehicles do that in an emergency situation. However, given the condition of Shane's car, I agree that it would be hard for the 9-1-1 caller to observer the windshield wipers.
<rsbm>

Archangel didn't give a definitive answer, he made a suggestion as to what it might possibly be. At this point we still don't know it to be the case with Shane's specific vehicle.

ETA: FWIW, the crash report indicated the airbag was non-deployed. For search purposes on this specific vehicle as to how the wiper function and airbag deployment (or non-deployment) might interact in an accident scenario, Shane's vehicle was a 1995 Pontiac Saturn.

<rsbm>

Archangel didn't give a definitive answer, he made a suggestion as to what it might possibly be. At this point we still don't know it to be the case with Shane's specific vehicle.

ETA: FWIW, the crash report indicated the airbag was non-deployed. For search purposes on this specific vehicle as to how the wiper function and airbag deployment (or non-deployment) might interact in an accident scenario, Shane's vehicle was a 1995 Pontiac Saturn.

may seem a bit off topic but it was something I was a bit confused about - maybe others were too so here goes.

I checked Edmunds and it seems that 1995 Pontiac Saturn's standard equipment included passenger and driver airbags.

http://www.edmunds.com/saturn/s-series/1995/features-specs.html?style=985

am not too savvy on how airbags work == I ''thought'' airbags deployed only when you ''hit" something.....

The "ASSOC Service" events are the entries just before any reference to "PREMIS". This could be how LE knew Shane's address. Even with his out of state plate, if they had previous interaction with him, his LA addy would be in the system as a result of whatever those incidents were.

from the timeline:

From the pics of the wreck, I don't see that Shane's plate # was visible to anyone at the crash site. IF so, does that not tell us that someone got his plate # before the crash?

OK I'm playing catch up since ive been away for a while. I have a lot I want to write. but I keep coming along this info about police dispatched to Shanes house before they even made it on scene. this image if im not mistaken is not the JPSO report but that of what was entered at the 911 dispatch center.
picture.php

I am not sure what the codes mean but I think it has to do with dispatching the LE to the Scene of the accident Not his house? where do you get them going to his house from this?

In the crash report I read that they did dispatch a deputy to his house but not till Brett was already on the scene at 1:09am.

OK I'm playing catch up since ive been away for a while. I have a lot I want to write. but I keep coming along this info about police dispatched to Shanes house before they even made it on scene. this image if im not mistaken is not the JPSO report but that of what was entered at the 911 dispatch center ...

... In the crash report I read that they did dispatch a deputy to his house but not till Brett was already on the scene at 1:09am.
<snip for brevity>

I call it a "report" for lack of it having any title but knowing it is from the 911 dispatch :confused: Apologies if I have used the wrong term. Is the 911 dispatch centre for JPSO or LA state?

I'm not sure what the codes mean either (so no more enlightened than anyone else here), and just trying to make sense of it all.

Sorry for an old legal-beagle brain here, but the state narrative does not specify a time for anything, let alone when the deputy was sent ...only that the state investigator was told by JPSO that one had been sent. When a time is not specified, it is open to interpretation in relation to other known facts. That's why a timeline has been compiled from both reports (or whatever we want to call them) to try to ascertain in what order things happened.

<snip for brevity>

I call it a "report" for lack of it having any title but knowing it is from the 911 dispatch :confused:

I'm not sure what the codes mean either (so no more enlightened than anyone else here), and just trying to make sense of it all.

Sorry for an old legal-beagle brain here, but the state narrative does not specify a time for anything, let alone when the deputy was sent ...only that the state investigator was told by JPSO that one had been sent.

Thanks for the Clarity, I had to go back and ready like 25 pages. Kept getting confused with that time being associate with Shane's home. Wow 25 pages. Now To try to put all my other thoughts opinions and questions to everyone's comments I've been reading. I feel a long post coming. Fair warning to all you sleuthers, playing catch up! smiles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member