LE wants to interview the parents separately

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The discussion on this case is certainly getting heated. There is so much that we don't know, I don't understand how anyone can say with certainty that the parents are involved. I have been swayed at times by some info that has been released (i.e. the cadaver dog hit), but there isn't ANY information at this time that is the "smoking gun". And I don't trust the MSM. So much of what is reported is edited for sensationalism. No mystery as to why LE requested raw footage. As for LE, they are only human and fallible like the rest of us. Some people get tunnel vision and can't see anything but what they want to see. JMO
Thank you so much for a level headed, honest, unbiased, and thoughtful post. You were able to cover a whole lot in a clear and concise way.

Actually, they were due to meet with LE on Saturday the 8th and couldn't agree on the details. They spent a bit of time on the phone with LE but this was only after they took a full days break. They opted to do the lengthy interviews with JJP instead of going to sit down with LE. Essentially, communication had already broken down by Friday the 7th. That is when SY announced they were disbanding the command center and the first time that LE publicly stated that the family was no longer cooperating. By Saturday AM, they thought that the lines of communication were going to be open but , again, the family stalled and, IIRC, they spoke only by phone on the 8th.

Actually I believe it's the other way around. They cancelled a media appearance to talk to LE. It's in the timeline thread.

MOO

I'm getting irritated. If my child was missing I'd endure days, weeks, months of questioning if it helped LE find my baby. I don't understand why DB and JI are so secretive. All my sympathy for them is rapidly dissipating. If you don't want to be treated like a suspect, then don't act like a suspect.

The discussion on this case is certainly getting heated. There is so much that we don't know, I don't understand how anyone can say with certainty that the parents are involved. I have been swayed at times by some info that has been released (i.e. the cadaver dog hit), but there isn't ANY information at this time that is the "smoking gun". And I don't trust the MSM. So much of what is reported is edited for sensationalism. No mystery as to why LE requested raw footage. As for LE, they are only human and fallible like the rest of us. Some people get tunnel vision and can't see anything but what they want to see. JMO

BBM. Understatement of the night :D The heat has been turned up, for sure, and it's getting a bit stuffy in here, too ;) jmo

Here's my opinion: Take it or leave it :duck:

If my child was missing, I would talk to and tell LE all I knew or any tiny piece of info that I thought would be helpful. However, I understand their tactics and why they *try* to get a confession. I know that if I didn't do anything, I have nothing to confess to. Honestly, if I knew they were going to continue to make me feel like I killed my child, there's no way I would talk to them--with or without my lawyer.

What I would do is continue to spread the word about my missing child. I would hang posters, talk to people...keep as much attention focused on my child as possible.

Tacky to quote my own post, but this is what I've seen listed as a restriction. It comes from their attorney:

When asked if there are restrictions on the conversations Lisa's parents will have, Tacopina said, "Oh, there's a restriction. I'm imposing that the questioning is going to be in good faith and fair and not the questioning that was done within an hour of baby Lisa's disappearance."

Tacopina claimed police accused Bradley of murdering her child within an hour of beginning to interrogate her.

"That's just not good investigatory tactics and it doesn't build good faith in them," Tacopina said.

He said Bradley would be willing to sit down for questioning "as long as the investigators doing the questioning are ones who have not previously determined guilt before having a stitch of evidence. We want a fair investigation."

Yes, that is the only restriction I have seen in MSM.
Respectfully snipped

Any innocent person should be able to uphold their innocence even in the face of these interrogation tactics. Repeat their story over and over again, the truth never changes.

And why wouldn't LE do this? Why waste valuable time and resources for days or weeks when it's possible you can get the truth out of who is statistically the most likely suspect(s). If the story starts to crack and/or the person does, then you either get a confession or another line of investigation other that stranger abduction.

IMO these parents cracked. They didn't confess but they didn't like the heat so they stopped co-operating, even with an attorney. Unless it's on their terms and they don't have to talk with the original officers. So they are being investigated, along with a parallel investigation of stranger abduction. All tips, sitings etc are being pursued. As well as searches of the home and the parents.

MOO

There are many, many documented false confessions which occurred when innocent people submitted to hour upon hour of hostile interrogation.

This summed it up for me:

David Netz, Sr. said the couple simply objected to police-questioning tactics.
"They would come in and say, 'OK, Jeremy said this, and they'd go back to Jeremy and say Deb said this and that,"
Read more: http://www.kmbc.com/news/29420106/detail.html#ixzz1bqAPNygI

Common tactic.

A cautionary tale that serves no purpose because NOBODY has confessed in this case, NOBODY has been interrogated for 14 hours and NO BODY has even been found.

JMO

IMO, it is serving a very good purpose to point out what can happen when people submit to very lengthy HOSTILE interrogation.

I'm very interested in your opinion, MountainKat. It seems to me that you've completely changed your mind in the last couple days. If I have you confused with someone else, I'm sorry.

If you've changed your mind, what changed it? TIA

Jeanna - I was very supportive of DB in the beginning. I slowly went on the fence...stayed there for a few days and then fell hard. So, not everyone here is out to get DB.

BBM. Understatement of the night :D The heat has been turned up, for sure, and it's getting a bit stuffy in here, too ;) jmo

I agree BDE. That's why I did the post above to praise a fellow member on a job well done. I don't consider myself on any side of this case at this point. But I'm getting a little gun shy about posting anything that is NOT negative about the parents. Thats just not right. JMO.

Thank you Donjeta. :) I stepped away from this case for that very reason and feel I must step away again if my posts are being taken out of context. I merely supplied a link to answer a question. Nothing more, nothing less.

No, don't step away (unless you want to), your opinions are valuable.

Imo it's pretty common in these discussions that a quote that is first brought up to prove one point then gives rise to other tangential thoughts. Please don't take it personally.

Bumping this post.

Remove the personal from your posts. Better to say "I have a hard time with the theory that XYZ happened because of reasons 123" than to say, "Why do you think XYZ happened, when clearly LMN is what happened."

Post links to your statements of facts, and do not attack other posters. We are all here together for Baby Lisa.

Personal attacks and snark must stop NOW.

It is possible to disagree respectfully with another poster's views without attacking that poster on a personal level.

Start by removing "you" and "I" from your posts as much as possible. Name-calling is always against our TOS, and saying things like "Are you crazy" or "You can't be serious" or "Do you seriously think that XYZ" will fall under that umbrella.

Where this post lands is random.

The topic of this thread is: LE wants to interview the parents separately.

I have absolutely no idea what could have happened to this baby. There are very very odd circumstances and I have a hard time believing someone came in to the house, took the baby and 3 cell phones and took off on foot in sweatpants. BUT.
I think it is entirely possible that someone from LE accused Mom of something nefarious.
Now that they have attorneys, I dont understand why they arent talking to police, but IF its because they feel like they have already been accused and judged, I can see why they want to talk to someone else. There has to be more than 1 detective in this city.
I just find it tacky and arrogant that LE tells media they are refusing to cooperate instead of just having others interview them. Its allot of spin and a big power struggle.

Nothing was said about Joe Tacopina.. The ^above^ post states that JI(Jeremy Irwin) stated that he was the one who stopped the interrogations.. And it was only asked to take a break.. Jeremy Irwin stated this because he is the one who stopped it asking for a break.. So, Joe Tacopina is not only NOT a bald faced liar.. But he is irrelevant when the information is coming from the horse's mouth.. JI..

Take a breath, SM...easy mistake to read JI as JT. ;)

Thanks for pointing out the error.

I was just coming to bump YNot's post, but she beat me to it.

NO MORE WARNINGS AND THERE WILL BE NO PM'S FROM THE MODS - you will just find that you can no longer post for awhile, if you continue to attack or bicker with other posters.

This is it - so pay attention, please. As YNot said, you can disagree respectfully - she even gave you some examples of how to phrase your posts. There are no excuses - its your responsibility to know the rules and comply with them.

Salem

And the only reason that nobody has been interrogated for 14 hours is because JI stopped the interview after 11. Then they lawyered up. So for those who think they should have sat there and allowed the interrogation to continue forever, and not lawyer up, Kevin Fox is an appropriate cautionary tale.

Its not a sign of guilt to exercise your constitutional rights, its merely a sign of common sense. I don't know whether these parents are guilty or not, but I do know that if I was in their position, and I was innocent, I would also have stopped talking to the police and hired a lawyer.

Using this post to jump off of.....
AAccording to http://apps.americanbar.org/rol/publications/armenia_rights_of_arrested_persons.pdf an interrogationcannot last more than 4 hour running, it can contiune with no less than an hour break,and cannot exceed more than 8 hrs in one day
I know this was made a law because of cases like this and other ones mentioned
I do not know when this was made law
I was just trying to understand better.
I am notta lawyer and if someone has a better link that can teach me I am always willing to learn.

I understand this topic is getting a little heated, and I'm not a mod, but I think this is warranted:

:grouphug:

Deep breaths :)

The certainty comes from the (admittedly limited) evidence we have available. The parent's story was implausible to begin with and it has crossed the border into laughable. Or, rather, it would be laughable if the subject were not deadly serious. The only thing missing from this farce is a novella length ransom note as we saw from the Ramseys -- and at least they managed to keep their story fairly straight, these guys can't even manage that much.

When Lisa's body is found, whatever the condition, Debbie is going to prison.

She can perhaps convince the warden to allow her to do her reality TV act from there.

Actually I believe it's the other way around. They cancelled a media appearance to talk to LE. It's in the timeline thread.

MOO

They sat down & recorded lengthy interviews that Saturday. (JJP)

I guess no NG thread tonight?
There was actually a point raised that I hadn't heard raised as yet by media...

I think the window of opportunity for the type interview that LE wants is long gone. They might as well hand a list of questions to the lawyers. Otherwise the interview(s) would go something like this: LE asks a question; parent looks at lawyer for ok to answer; lawyer nods - parents answers; not ok for parent to answer and the lawyer gives some lawyer type response. Anything of any value is not coming forth. The only one not frustrated in this interview is the lawyer.

That's a really good question. I'm trying to think of cases where LE turned on the parents, and then they were confirmed innocent. Did Jaycee Dugard's stepdad stop cooperating? I think so, but I could be wrong.

I believe Coralrose Fullwood's family stopped cooperating.

Really good question. We should all search our brains and come up with cases where confirmed innocent people stopped/or didn't stop cooperating after LE clearly had them in the crosshairs.

Lynsie Ekelund's mother was absolutely treated as the prime suspect. They dug up her yard and ripped apart her house. 9 years later it is a capitol murder case with a confession-the person who claimed to have dropped Lynsie off that night actually attempted to rape her and then killed her. He buried her at a construction site. But Nancy was in the crosshairs for YEARS.

ETA: I can think of many many cold MP cases where the family steps away and refuses to go in for questioning anymore. There is no way to guage their innocence unless their loved one is found and the investigation can move on.

Jaycee Dugard's stepfather will forever have my sympathy. It must have been a nightmare.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momster0734
Back