Legal Questions for our Verified Lawyers #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:dj: Attention, Ladies and Gentlemen! The academy is proud to announce that the 2011 winner of the prestigious "B.U.S.T.Y." :goldcrown: award is…, oh, I'm so nervous I can hardly open the envelope. The winner is…Miracles Happen! :loveyou::loveyou::loveyou:

(Best Use of Smilies This Year) :giggle:

Oh, I think all our wonderful lawyers, AZlawyer, Katprint , MiraclesHappen etc are equally deserving of awards. They all contributed valuable info to this dummy. I appreciate them all to the nth degree with no preference.
But I do agree that MiraclesHappen has an unique way of using emoticons. I always put any spillable stuff down and away from my keyboard when reading her answers.

A question was asked over in the Probation Thread - I think by Strawberry - that I wondered about also. :waitasec: So I strolled over to ask our legal heads...the question is:

How many Bar complaints does the Bar investigate against the average criminal defense lawyer in a year or two - on an average? Any ideas?

Mr. Baez appears to be crossing their desks rather frequently these days it seems..:innocent:

I doubt there would be a way of knowing that.
Not everything that emanates from the disgruntled :steamed: :furious:will make it into the public eye.

The lawyers that I know personally have a profound respect for the ethical guidelines, rules governing conduct, and so forth.

Criminal trial work is inherently demanding; No need :hot: to add to that. :wink:

MH
sharing opinion:wolf:

I agree with you, though.

:tsktsk::tsktsk: Him again? :eek:hwow:

A question was asked over in the Probation Thread - I think by Strawberry - that I wondered about also. :waitasec: So I strolled over to ask our legal heads...the question is:

How many Bar complaints does the Bar investigate against the average criminal defense lawyer in a year or two - on an average? Any ideas?

Mr. Baez appears to be crossing their desks rather frequently these days it seems..:innocent:
I daresay the average criminal defense lawyer normally has ZERO investigations by the State Bar in any given year. It is an unusual event to be investigated by the State Bar.

The State Bar does not do random investigations, unlike IRS audits (for example). Every State Bar investigation is triggered by some kind of complaint to the State Bar. Most commonly, State Bar complaints are filed by clients, judges - especially judges who impose sanctions against the misbehaving attorney, other attorneys, banks when the attorney's trust account bounces a check, people who were not paid by the attorney as promised, and similar folks who were harmed by and/or have knowledge of the attorney's unethical conduct.

Katprint
Always only my own opinions

I have a question on the DT probation appeal wording to the Appellate Court.
In there, they spout that the State was given a formal notice that KC's probation was started in jail.
In HHJP order , denying the DT motion for vacating the probation order from Judge Strickland, that "formal" notice consisted of a letter to Amy Huizinga, sent "in care of" to the State Attorney Office. I presume that was a routine thingy, since Amy was part of the probation conditions (no contact) or may be all victims are notified when a felon starts their probation(generally outside prison/jail) as S.O.P.
My question, can this "in care of" letter be called a "formal notice" to the State?
The State Attorney Office must receive hundreds of those type "in care of" letters from D.O.C if normal routine procedure. Besides, they could be about other things, not only probation.

I have a question on the DT probation appeal wording to the Appellate Court.
In there, they spout that the State was given a formal notice that KC's probation was started in jail.

In HHJP order , denying the DT motion for vacating the probation order from Judge Strickland, that "formal" notice consisted of a letter to Amy Huizinga, sent "in care of" to the State Attorney Office. I presume that was a routine thingy, since Amy was part of the probation conditions (no contact) or may be all victims are notified when a felon starts their probation(generally outside prison/jail) as S.O.P.
My question, can this "in care of" letter be called a "formal notice" to the State?
The State Attorney Office must receive hundreds of those type "in care of" letters from D.O.C if normal routine procedure. Besides, they could be about other things, not only probation.

Are you saying that the DT called it formal notice? Or was it the Judge doing it as part of an order?

I don't recall :beamup:the Judge doing that.....not sure which part of which motion we're talking about. But that won't stop me:eek: from plowing ahead. :run:

I believe that notice would go directly to the victim unless other arrangements were made to keep victim's info confidential at that time.

Victim's do have a right to request certain personal info remain personal...address for example.

The victim of the crime does have a statutory right to be informed about the proceedings, changes in defendant's status, and so forth.

Chapter 960 Florida/AKA too long to put in. :stretch::stretch::stretch:

If the defense team called an ICO letter to Amy H a formal notice to the prosection, I disagree.

The State's Attorneys Office would get their own notice, I would think.
We are talking about crimes for which adjudication was withheld and probation ordered.

That's an open file in my book. :read:

Should the defendant violate a probationary term or terms, there might be
a violation hearing, a sentencing, or any number of other courtroom proceedings which would "re-involve" the prosecution..

The notice goes to the State when the probation is successfully completed.

It is the Court which has the power to formally close the case.

The State needs notice of the successful completion; it ends the case when the defendant is discharged from the system.

Probation terminated. Defendant Discharged. File Closed.:seeya:

:curtsey: :beersign: No more random testing :partyguy2::angel2:

If it is Judge Perry who called it formal notice
:nevermind: Just kidding .

MH
with an opinion :wolf:

Are you saying that the DT called it formal notice? Or was it the Judge doing it as part of an order?

I don't recall :beamup:the Judge doing that.....not sure which part of which motion we're talking about. But that won't stop me:eek: from plowing ahead. :run:

I believe that notice would go directly to the victim unless other arrangements were made to keep victim's info confidential at that time.

Victim's do have a right to request certain personal info remain personal...address for example.

The victim of the crime does have a statutory right to be informed about the proceedings, changes in defendant's status, and so forth.

Chapter 960 Florida/AKA too long to put in. :stretch::stretch::stretch:

If the defense team called an ICO letter to Amy H a formal notice to the prosection, I disagree.

The State's Attorneys Office would get their own notice, I would think.
We are talking about crimes for which adjudication was withheld and probation ordered.

That's an open file in my book. :read:

Should the defendant violate a probationary term or terms, there might be
a violation hearing, a sentencing, or any number of other courtroom proceedings which would "re-involve" the prosecution..

The notice goes to the State when the probation is successfully completed.

It is the Court which has the power to formally close the case.

The State needs notice of the successful completion; it ends the case when the defendant is discharged from the system.

Probation terminated. Defendant Discharged. File Closed.:seeya:

:curtsey: :beersign: No more random testing :partyguy2::angel2:

If it is Judge Perry who called it formal notice
:nevermind: Just kidding .

MH
with an opinion :wolf:

So sorry MH, should have included the ref documents.
No, HHJP never called it a formal notice, the DT just morphed it into a "formal notice to the State Attorney Office" in their appeal.

HHJP wording on page 5 of 13
http://www.wesh.com/pdf/28848066/detail.html

DT 's wording on page 10 of 18
http://www.wftv.com/pdf/28896667/detail.html

And I have been hunting for that appendix A, but can not locate it (yet)
But please note , in both wordings, the date as of February 2, 2010 is referred to.

For me , a non legal mind, the whole probation issue is a no brainer.
Just modify the probation conditions and only apply those that could not be accomplished while in jail. Not a double jeopardy issue then in my non legal simple mind..
Could the Appellate Court even rule like that?

.....not sure which part of which motion we're talking about. But that won't stop me:eek: from plowing ahead. :run:

So I'm reading your answer and got this far and I've been cracking up. I don't know why it struck me as so funny!

Sorry, carry on.....

No, HHJP never called it a formal notice, the DT just morphed it into a "formal notice to the State Attorney Office" in their appeal.

But please note , in both wordings, the date as of February 2, 2010 is referred to.

Just modify the probation conditions and only apply those that could not be accomplished while in jail. Not a double jeopardy issue then in my non legal simple mind..

Not a complete answer--in a hurry here...very behind schedule.

I looked all over too.

Realized where I had read it. By that time, there wasn' t time to go through it as in now.

That Appendix, if we are on page-us same-us, is on the front of the site of the 5th Ct of Appeals--

http://www.5dca.org/

If it is in the links you provided, which I'll read later, then again :nevermind:

I see where you are going---- It still bothers me that a special condition of her probation was that she remain at liberty.

I doubt that translates as :
You are at liberty to do time...feel free to be held on bail.

mh GOTTA GO....opinion :wolf:

Not a complete answer--in a hurry here...very behind schedule.

I looked all over too.

Realized where I had read it. By that time, there wasn' t time to go through it as in now.

That Appendix, if we are on page-us same-us, is on the front of the site of the 5th Ct of Appeals--

http://www.5dca.org/

If it is in the links you provided, which I'll read later, then again :nevermind:

I see where you are going---- It still bothers me that a special condition of her probation was that she remain at liberty.

I doubt that translates as :
You are at liberty to do time...feel free to be held on bail.

mh GOTTA GO....opinion :wolf:

Tks so very much MH for that appendix link.
And nope , only contact with State Attorney Office on 2/2/2010 was that standard victim notification, "no contact letter" to victim Amy, c/o State Attorney Office.
Not a formal notice by your expert opinion.
Neither could I find even any notice to State Attorney Office that probation was completed successfully in that appendix A.
Do hope you have time to peruse that appendix A since I am not a lawyer.
It looks to me that the "formal notice" is another tall tale by the DT.
Would such grossly overstated (dishonest?)wording in the appeal be looked at by the Appellate Court with disdain and influence their subsequent ruling?
Especially since pseudo news shows ran with the "formal notice" and made Orange County Justice system look like an unjustified joke.

OK, they say she served her probation in jail. It can not be counted with time served on a sentence. She was sentenced to 412 days served on the check charges. One year probation on the check charges. That is 777 days roughly. She was sentenced to 4 years on the lying charges. That is another 1460 days. Total time for probation and time to serve is 2237 days. If the probation can not count if she is serving a sentence, then they can not count those days for probation AND time for one of the lying charges. So she owes the state of Florida AT least one more year behind bars. But was the 412 days counted over again as well?
She was sentenced to over 6 years time and probation. She did not come close to that.
Yes, I have to agree this is a mess. But what am I missing here? I know time off for good behavior(passing letters must be okay?) but not that much time off.

Tks so very much MH for that appendix link.
And nope , only contact with State Attorney Office on 2/2/2010 was that standard victim notification, "no contact letter" to victim Amy, c/o State Attorney Office.
Not a formal notice by your expert opinion.
Neither could I find even any notice to State Attorney Office that probation was completed successfully in that appendix A.
Do hope you have time to peruse that appendix A since I am not a lawyer.
It looks to me that the "formal notice" is another tall tale by the DT.
Would such grossly overstated (dishonest?)wording in the appeal be looked at by the Appellate Court with disdain and influence their subsequent ruling?
Especially since pseudo news shows ran with the "formal notice" and made Orange County Justice system look like an unjustified joke.

I do not see any formal notice that probation was successfully completed.
The letter to Amy H. in care of the office of the State's Attorney is a letter telling Amy the conditions of probation. It tells her what to do if the "no-contact" order is violated. It's informative and for the victim.
This letter is sent to a victim and as you have noted, it's kind of a standard thing.
Since the letter is generated to explain "what all this will mean" for the victim, ..remember there was an issue of restitution here as well......and since the letter is tailored as a communication from DOC to the victim,
It is what it is.
How this can be morphed into "a formal notice to the prosecution" escapes me.
I'm certainly open to suggestion.
But, oh puhleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeze:
Are we waiting for the defense to append the appendix with the unfolding of the mystery :dracula:"Notice Statute."
(Because then we will all understand; heard that one before)

It would have to read something like:
(A)Formal notice should be an original document, signed and dated. The document will be certified and addressed to the party receiving notice, or to that party's legal representatve, or to one authorized per the statute to receive such notice on behalf of the Party.
Speaking of certified, if the notice is to be accomplished by a mailing , hand delivery being an option, the mailing will be certified as well.
Furthermore, a return receipt helps maintain clarity relative to the issue of formal notice. Toss that in.

(B)The :croc: exclusion:
Formal notice is also accomplished by sending the Party being notified a piece of mail which is pretty much a form letter that doesn't entirely address
the subject matter that triggered the need for a notice (unless you read it under a black light when there's a full moon).
Oh, And please make sure to address the formal notice to a Party other than the party being notified. The :uthere: approach.

Moving Along---

The disdain factor/What can the Appellates do?
:razz:
Keep in mind.
The appeal is not a new trial, not an evidentiary hearing. The defense team doesn't get an absolute right to engage in oral arguments to the Court, i.e. to the panel of 3 Judges. That privilege is granted per request on a case by case basis.
The Judges are deciding whether or not to UPHOLD the final order of Judge Perry.
That's what the defense wants quashed. :python:

The question is whether or not Judge Perry's order is legal and should stand.

They have the power to affirm Judge Perry's order (Please enjoy your probationary period).

They can find that it is not in the spirit of the law. :)nono: no probation but we have a small gift of 49 tickets to fly to any other state, please pick one!)
ok made up the last part.....

They could also send the whole shebang back to Judge Perry's Court with instructions. (remand with a to- do list to make it legal---not saying it isn't legal).
That's the nature of Appellate Courts in general.
Because they focus entirely on the legality of the done-deed in this case, they are working off the record of the proceedings. (Hence the need to provide those transcripts but who knew :rolleyes:).
The Disdain factor, if it exists, won't be a part of their decision.
They will issue a decision based entirely on the law and the legality of the current probation order that was issued by Judge Perry.
They will explain the decision pursuant to the law and based upon the law.
MH :wolf:
sharing opinion

Regarding the position of the defense, currently on the notice bandwagon, Why wouldn't you argue that there is constructive notice? Why call it formal when it isn't. Arguing for constructive gives a little leeway.
And in the event there was actual legal notice to the state, I am of the "who cares" school of thought.

It's their client; they knew what was happening, when it was happening, and when it should have happened.
Don't pass the :moose:

(B)The :croc: exclusion:
Formal notice is also accomplished by sending the Party being notified a piece of mail which is pretty much a form letter that doesn't entirely address
the subject matter that triggered the need for a notice (unless you read it under a black light when there's a full moon).
Oh, And please make sure to address the formal notice to a Party other than the party being notified. The :uthere: approach.

Tks so very much MH for your reply, however, the above part from your answer should have been preceded by a "harmful to keyboards" warning.
That "formal notice" was even in cursive to draw special attention to it for Pete's sake. It was obviously intended for the media, who do not check appendixes apparently. And not for the three Appellate Judges, who will not be fooled/influenced by such a grossly overstatement.

I know it didn't happen...but, if CA was charged with perjury, who would make that decision? The judge or DA?

I know it didn't happen...but, if CA was charged with perjury, who would make that decision? The judge or DA?
Whether to charge/prosecute anyone for anything is always a decision made by the prosecutor (District Attorney or Attorney General or federal prosecutor or other title). Similarly, the decision whether to convene a Grand Jury in hopes of obtaining an indictment is a decision made by the prosecutor.

After the defendant has been charged/indicted, there is a preliminary hearing where the prosecution puts on evidence to show that there is "probable cause" to detain/prosecute the defendant on the filed charges. Occasionally, it develops that there is NOT enough evidence to establish probable cause and the judge will dismiss the charges "without prejudice" meaning the charges can be refiled if the prosecution obtains more evidence. So, the prosecutor decides whether to prosecute and the judge decides whether there is enough evidence to let the prosecution move forward.

For example, if a juvenile squirts a police officer with water, that will not establish probable cause for the crime of assault with a deadly weapon. If the prosecution subsequently obtains evidence that the water was actually a potent skin-contact toxin capable of causing death (e.g. venom from a box jellyfish), they could re-file charges of assault with a deadly weapon.

Katprint

Thanks, Katprint. I really dislike that CA was allowed to blatantly lie under oath....no consequence at all. I heard a judge on TV say that perjury is expected from family members.

Thanks, Katprint. I really dislike that CA was allowed to blatantly lie under oath....no consequence at all. I heard a judge on TV say that perjury is expected from family members.
Pretty much true, although that does not necessarily protect them from being prosecuted for perjury in the U.S.

In some European countries, immediate family members have the same privilege not to testify against each other that spouses have in the US. In other words, parents cannot be forced to testify against their children and vice-versa, and siblings cannot be forced to testify against each other.

Katprint

I have a question on the DT response to the District court.
http://www.5dca.org/Clerk/Anthony11-2707/11-2707_Petitioner's_Reply.pdf

I read it as that they are now changing their direction somewhat and are on the "separation of powers" band wagon. The lower Court(Judicial) vs DOC(Executive) and who jumps higher.
It also has that probation and sentence can not be served at the same time. Does that apply to any sentence(lying sentence), not specifically tied to the probation issue (check fraud sentence)?
Could that mean that if probation stands, that HHJP could change his 1042 credit days to a lower number, adjusting for the probation period? He is still within that 60 days time frame.

Hi everyone,
I'm not sure where to popst this so feel free to move if you need to.

My question is If the jury believe that caylee drowned in the family pool and that George Anthony covered it up shouldn't he be charged with perverting the course of justice, failing to report the accident and possibly manslaughter. Forgive if I am completely wrong but surly he would be guilty of something.
Thanks for reading :)

Hi everyone,

My question is If the jury believe that caylee drowned in the family pool and that George Anthony covered it up shouldn't he be charged with perverting the course of justice, failing to report the accident and possibly manslaughter. Forgive if I am completely wrong but surly he would be guilty of something.

Who knows what this jury believed?

But no, he wouldn't be guilty of a crime. He wasn't originally charged as you know.

That was the result of a very lengthy investigation.

This jury had power to find facts relative to Casey and what her actions were.

They do not have the power to undo an existing investigation and reformulate the product of that investigation.

They are called "The Finder of Fact" for purposes of the trial before them.
They aren't finding facts to create new charges. It's outside their scope.

:Bennymonkey::Bennymonkey:
:Bennymonkey::Bennymonkey:

They've done more than enough as it is.:winko:

MH
with an opinion:wolf:

Hi everyone,

+1 to MiraclesHappen.

Also, there is ZERO evidence that Caylee actually drowned in the family pool, and ZERO evidence that George Anthony actually covered it up. Any successful prosecution of George would need enough evidence to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt, and there just isn't any evidence at all - merely a bunch of far-fetched speculation and conjecture. The defense argument of "the prosecution didn't prove beyond a reasonable doubt that an accidental drowning/coverup by George didn't happen" is NOT evidence that it did happen.

Katprint

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CamSoup