FL Leslie McCray, 17, Dec 24th, 1985, Jacksonville, FL

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

waunakeegan

Reaction score
Project_Cold_Case__Leslie_McCray_0_15644917_ver1.0_640_360.jpg
Leslie McCray was just 17-years-old when she was stabbed to death in December 24th, 1985. Leslie’s body was found on the side of the road not far from I-295 on the westside of Jacksonville, Florida. Her body had been mutilated by stab wounds to her neck.

The family believes they know who is responsible for McCray’s death, but the news articles I've read would not name the suspect. There's not a ton of information available on this case beyond that. I'll post any old archived newspaper articles I can find on here when I get a chance to search.

17-year-old girl stabbed to death; case remains unsolved nearly 34 years later

Thanks for posting this. It seems curious that her family claimed to know who might have killed her, but nothing was done. Did they suspect a boyfriend or other friend? I hope they have preserved the killer's DNA, if any was found. Though the article doesn't say, her age and circumstances suggest a sexual assault may have been involved.

@Betty P Yes, I also feel that this murder was likely sexually motivated. I hope they have some samples preserved to run DNA on too. It seems like the Sherrif’s Dept handling her case needs to get it’s *stuff* together though. The article says that when the station asked to interview the Jacksonville Sherrif’s Dept about this case they said: "The investigations unit has just transitioned into a new administration and they are reviewing all aspects of the day to day operations and work flow. As such, these interviews have been suspended at this time, and we are going to respectfully decline the interview.”

Here’s a link to the video that the local news just did on her case.
Project Cold Case: Leslie McCray

It appears that Project Cold Case is helping to raise more awareness for this case specifically. I cannot find any old articles about her murder except for an obituary, which I’ve attached to this post. It looks like this case was ice cold up until a week ago, frankly.

I noticed in the obituary that Leslie had a lot of different direct family members, especially siblings and half siblings, and they have many different last names. Her Father’s last name was McCray and her mother’s maiden name looks like it was Yarbrough and she must have been married to a Magee at the time of the murder and married or had children with a Hingston in the past. No judgement into that at all, I only mention this because having multiple former and current stepfathers in the life of Leslie McCray means those Stepfather’s extended families were likely in Leslie’s life as well. This broadens the pool of family members connected to her, which are usually the first type of people that investigators look at when someone is murdered.

The fact that Leslie’s cousin and mother believe they know exactly who murdered her could also indicate that they know this suspect personally and that it was not a stranger. Whether that is true and whether that means that person is a family member, boyfriend, or family friend, I can only speculate.

The obituary also mentions that Leslie was a student at North Florida University (she was only 17 so maybe she skipped a grade?) and a waitress at Sliders Restaurant. Could the person in question be a college/high school ex boyfriend of Leslie’s or an obsessed resultant regular?
0B5F77EF-9D65-47A0-B2D5-BC5085ED4E88.jpeg

The facts around this case are strange. She was living with her boyfriend. He said they were asleep when someone broke in. Had him tie himself up with his own ties (perp only had a knife) and took Leslie. Boyfriend was a fairly big guy so this seems a bit hard to believe. He managed to untie himself but didn’t report it right away. Also came from a VERY WELL CONNECTED FAMILY. Father was a prominent Attorney. No police sketch, no signs of forced entry...you do the math.

@Betty P Yes, I also feel that this murder was likely sexually motivated. I hope they have some samples preserved to run DNA on too. It seems like the Sherrif’s Dept handling her case needs to get it’s *stuff* together though. The article says that when the station asked to interview the Jacksonville Sherrif’s Dept about this case they said: "The investigations unit has just transitioned into a new administration and they are reviewing all aspects of the day to day operations and work flow. As such, these interviews have been suspended at this time, and we are going to respectfully decline the interview.”

Here’s a link to the video that the local news just did on her case.
Project Cold Case: Leslie McCray

It appears that Project Cold Case is helping to raise more awareness for this case specifically. I cannot find any old articles about her murder except for an obituary, which I’ve attached to this post. It looks like this case was ice cold up until a week ago, frankly.

I noticed in the obituary that Leslie had a lot of different direct family members, especially siblings and half siblings, and they have many different last names. Her Father’s last name was McCray and her mother’s maiden name looks like it was Yarbrough and she must have been married to a Magee at the time of the murder and married or had children with a Hingston in the past. No judgement into that at all, I only mention this because having multiple former and current stepfathers in the life of Leslie McCray means those Stepfather’s extended families were likely in Leslie’s life as well. This broadens the pool of family members connected to her, which are usually the first type of people that investigators look at when someone is murdered.

The fact that Leslie’s cousin and mother believe they know exactly who murdered her could also indicate that they know this suspect personally and that it was not a stranger. Whether that is true and whether that means that person is a family member, boyfriend, or family friend, I can only speculate.

The obituary also mentions that Leslie was a student at North Florida University (she was only 17 so maybe she skipped a grade?) and a waitress at Sliders Restaurant. Could the person in question be a college/high school ex boyfriend of Leslie’s or an obsessed resultant regular?
View attachment 190215
Boyfriend. She was abducted from his bed, when he was there...Very sketchy.

More from project coldcase

Leslie McCray - Project: Cold Case

Police, per the news report two days following the incident, were wary to accept the given storyline of that morning. Signs did not indicate forced entry or a struggle inside the apartment, and the backdoor had cobwebs and lack of footsteps.

While the family was disheartened by the initial comments, a meeting was facilitated between the two parties to discuss updates to Leslie’s case. This was, in fact, the first time that the family had the opportunity to sit down with law enforcement since the fateful Christmas Eve.

Much more at link.
Also at link

upload_2020-1-29_12-56-23.png

Boyfriend Edgar McCurry III
Attorney father Edgar W McCurry Jr

Boyfriend. She was abducted from his bed, when he was there...Very sketchy.

Yes, very sketchy. Also seems they should have DNA if conducted rape testing during her autopsy.

@Justice for Leslie, can you give us a link or some other details about her being abducted from her boyfriends's bed? Was she pregnant?

Police, per the news report two days following the incident, were wary to accept the given storyline of that morning. Signs did not indicate forced entry or a struggle inside the apartment, and the backdoor had cobwebs and lack of footsteps.

While the family was disheartened by the initial comments, a meeting was facilitated between the two parties to discuss updates to Leslie’s case. This was, in fact, the first time that the family had the opportunity to sit down with law enforcement since the fateful Christmas Eve.

Much more at link.
Also at link

View attachment 228527

Yes, the apartment was in a very nice area.

Google Maps

Hopefully, LE will pick this up again. From the brief interview with the officer from the news article in 1985, it sounded like they were suspicious of the boyfriend's story. JMO, perhaps it was the county prosecutor who felt they didn't have enough evidence, or something...

Hello, I am Leslie's brother. I have been watching this for the past 10 years and we have just started to push it further. We are trying to keep things under the radar as to who we think was involved. However we are always looking for more information from anyone that may know anything.

Hello, I am Leslie's brother. I have been watching this for the past 10 years and we have just started to push it further. We are trying to keep things under the radar as to who we think was involved. However we are always looking for more information from anyone that may know anything.

Thank you for joining Websleuths to help in justice for your sister. We are so sorry for your loss. If you are interested in getting approved as a Verified Insider, there is a process for that. I’m not sure the details. If there is anything you’re able or willing to share that could aid in our o line efforts, we’re here to listen.

I am so sorry for your loss. I remember when this happened. I grew up with her boyfriend at the time and had met your sister several times back then. I lived right down the road from where they lived. I always felt very sad for your family that this was never solved. I hope that Justice is found for your sister and that you and your family will finally find a little peace.

Last edited:

Much more at link.
Also at link

View attachment 228527

Very well-connected for sure. Father was former chairman of the Duval County Republican Executive Committee and to local chairman of Governor Claude Kirk’s 1970 reelection campaign. But died in 2004, so I’d think connections/ power/ favors long gone. He died 20 years after Leslie’s murder, and now 16 more years after that! So... time for justice- long overdue!

What a relief! Justice for Leslie. It was a stranger abduction and murder. It doesn't sound as if either Leslie or her boyfriend knew the man who broke into their apartment and took her away.

Michigan inmate arrested in 1985 murder of Jacksonville teen Leslie McCray

In May 2021, a warrant was issued for second-degree murder and kidnapping. On Thursday afternoon, a Duval County grand jury indicted Austin for first degree murder, two counts of kidnapping and one count of armed sexual battery.

Assistant State Attorney Lauren Anderson said now they can proceed with extraditing Austin from Michigan.

Waters said Austin was not a suspect in the killing of Leslie previously. He lived in Jacksonville, stayed here for a short period of time and then left the state.

Man charged with 1st-degree murder in 1985 killing of Jacksonville teen

Last edited:
@Patriot777 I'm so glad your family now has some answers.

Are we correct in assuming the killer was a stranger to Leslie and her boyfriend and family? He was a habitual sex offender, so its possible he was stalking her after seeing her at work or on campus. He sounds like the kind of offender who stalked women that way.

Judging by how he was able to quietly break into their apartment and abduct Leslie, he had probably done this before.

RIP Leslie and sympathy to her family and friends.

A basic timeline:

1985? - Austin moves to Jacksonville, FL

December 24. 1985 - Austin breaks into the apartment of Leslie McCray, ties up her boyfriend and her, then kidnaps, rapes and murders Leslie

1986 ? - Austin leaves Jacksonville, FL

1991 - Austin is imprisoned in Michigan for sexual assault crimes he committed there

2019 - Leslie McCray's family reaches out to a local cold case organization for help in solving her murder

April 2020 - A lead was developed in the murder case of Leslie McCray using the killer's DNA. It was matched to an inmate in a Michigan prison

2020 - 2021 - Warrant was issued for more DNA testing, charging him with second degree murder.

August 2021 - Austin was indicted on a 1st degree murder 2 counts of kidnapping and one count of armed sexual battery.

He may have committed more assaults and murders before he was jailed in 1991.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back