Netherlands Liam Jones, 23, Scottish National, feared to have fallen over board cruise ship MSC Euribia as liner sailed to Amsterdam, 17 March 2024.

StillDiggin

Reaction score
Fears are growing for the 23-year-old after he vanished as the ship sailed from Hamburg to Rotterdam on Sunday, March 17.
It is understood he was on holiday with his family at the time.
Liam's loved ones reportedly say they don't know his whereabouts and have been given little information from authorities.
1711118256015.jpeg

1711118438878.png
''Liam Jones, 23, was travelling on board the MSC Euribia through several European countries over the weekend.

The operator of the ship has confirmed that on Sunday, a passenger fell overboard as the liner travelled between Germany and the Netherlands.

Relatives and friends of Liam have since spoken to The Courier, saying they have been given limited information about the incident, with the whereabouts of the former Grove Academy pupil unknown.''
1711118546992.png
Sophia and Liam on their wedding day last year. Image: Sophia Jones

I won't copy and paste it all but from your link -

'Sophia last saw Liam on Thursday, March 14, when he travelled from their home in Dundee to Glasgow to meet his family. They boarded the cruise ship in Southampton the following day.
The Euribia was going to Hamburg, France, Belgium, and Amsterdam before heading back to Southampton on March 22.
Liam's final text message to Sophia was that he was feeling seasick. She then received a message from his sister to say there had been an accident on board.'
-
She then said she had seen CCTV and he'd gone overboard.

:(

I googled what happens if someone goes overboard on a cruise ship and found this:
'The crew will always operate to the same protocols; stop the ship, turn around to the spot where the incident happened, inform the coastguard and put down rescue boats.'

But it doesn't appear that's what happened with Liam. I wonder if no one saw him go overboard and some time had passed before realising he was missing, and after raising the alarm CCTV was checked and they saw him go overboard?

There's definitely some concerns about safety as well, though I'm sure each incident has its own circumstances, it is still worrying.
'This is the sixth person to go overboard from a MSC cruise ship in just the last four months. One passenger died from the fall, one survived and recovered, and three guests and one crew member disappeared in the water.'

I've seen the 'j' word being used rather than 'fell', but no official statement about any of the details so far. If so it's very sad, a terrible way to go if that's what he intended. Either way it's awful :(

MOO

It appears there was no onboard announcements either from previous articles.

10 incidents in 11 months last year that were publicly reported on.

Given the numbers of passengers who cruise yearly, this is extremely rare. But if someone does go overboard, it seems to be usually fatal. Of the 10 cases listed, two were rescued alive - the other eight are presumed deceased, with no body found. This happened even in cases where the man overboard was spotted and reported on right away.

But it doesn't appear that's what happened with Liam. I wonder if no one saw him go overboard and some time had passed before realising he was missing, and after raising the alarm CCTV was checked and they saw him go overboard?

Sometimes there can be a delay of hours, sometimes many hours, when the crew is notified and contacts authorities. People will try to search on their own, make sure that they aren't just in a different place. Some cruise ships have sensors that can notify crew right away if someone goes overboard, but if they don't, they have to look at CCTV, and there may be blind spots or other issues.

I won't copy and paste it all but from your link -

'Sophia last saw Liam on Thursday, March 14, when he travelled from their home in Dundee to Glasgow to meet his family. They boarded the cruise ship in Southampton the following day.
The Euribia was going to Hamburg, France, Belgium, and Amsterdam before heading back to Southampton on March 22.
Liam's final text message to Sophia was that he was feeling seasick. She then received a message from his sister to say there had been an accident on board.'
-
She then said she had seen CCTV and he'd gone overboard.

:(

I googled what happens if someone goes overboard on a cruise ship and found this:
'The crew will always operate to the same protocols; stop the ship, turn around to the spot where the incident happened, inform the coastguard and put down rescue boats.'

There's definitely some concerns about safety as well, though I'm sure each incident has its own circumstances, it is still worrying.
'This is the sixth person to go overboard from a MSC cruise ship in just the last four months. One passenger died from the fall, one survived and recovered, and three guests and one crew member disappeared in the water.'

I don't understand why it's so easy for them to go overboard - they should have preventative restrictions in place

I'd imagine far more than that happen that are never heard about by the general public, these cruise companies will do anything to uphold their reputation.

I'm wondering whether any/most of the cases were accidents, and if so, how are they accidentally falling? Unless all are self-harm/foul play (which would also be a different tragic problem).

ETA: I know people may purposely sit on or lean over rails due to intoxication, but if that's the main cause, can something be done to make it less likely? And to ensure the crew knows immediately someone has gone over? I'm often thinking about what could be changed, when there is an ongoing problem.

''Liam's wife Sophia, aged 20, who was not on the trip, told the Courier newspaper: "I'm extremely worried about what's happened and I've been desperately trying to seek information. The horrible situation is not knowing exactly what has happened. Police Scotland has informed me officers in Germany are looking at the case.", reports the Mirror.

On Facebook, she put a broken-heart emoji next to a picture of them on their wedding day. Liam's brother, 23 year old William Neil, shared his upset over the incident, recounting how he learnt about it at home in Glasgow. He told the Courier: "Liam's family and friends are devastated by this news. We are really disappointed with MSC on their lack of communication over this."

L

It's not odd to me, because I know people who have taken trips with their family but without their spouse, if the spouse needed to work or attend classes.
Definitely not weird to me either. My husband just dislikes cruises and I've gone with my family before and he just stayed home. He's gone on trips that I wasn't interested in as well. We've been married almost 25 years and it works for us.

I'm a little surprised that it's being reported that the ship knew someone went overboard but they did not turn around to go assist with search. I thought that was standard protocol but I guess not.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nynaeva
Back