DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Court System: DISTRICT COURT FOR MONTGOMERY COUNTY (ROCKVILLE) - TRAFFIC SYSTEM
Citation Number: 0000004479046Case Status:ACTIVE CASE
Violation Date: 03/06/1979 Violation Time: 06:15 PM
Violation County: MONTGOMERY COUNTY (ROCKVILLE)
District Code: 06 Location Code: 01
AgencyName:MCP - 1ST DISTRICT
Officer ID:0919
Defendant Information

Defendant Name:WELCH, LLOYD LEE
Address:18407 LOSTKNIFE CIR #202
City: GAITHERSBURGState:MDZip Code:20760
Race:WHITE,CAUCASIAN,ASIATIC INDIAN,ARAB
Sex:MHeight:509Weight:165
DOB:12/1952
Charge Information

Charge: Article:TASec:16Sub-Sec:101Para:Code:
Description: DRIVING WITHOUT LICENSE
Location Stopped: LOST KNIFE CIR
Contributed to Accident?: NO Personal Injury?: NO
Fine: 250
Vehicle Tag: ECG856 State: MD Vehicle Description: 77PONT03
Disposition Information

Plea:
Disposition: FAILURE TO APPEAR
Disposition Date: 06/21/1979
Contributed To Accident: NO Personal Injury?: NO
Sentence Date: 06/21/1979
Sentence Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:000
Suspended Time: Yrs:00Mos:00Days:000
Costs: Fine: 0 CourtCost: 0 CICF: 0
Suspended: Fine: 0 CourtCost: 0 CICF Cost: 0
Related Person Information

Name:SIAVIN, EDWARD K
Connection:WITNESS FOR STATE
Address:2350 RESEARCH BLVD
City: ROCKVILLEState:MDZip Code:20850
Event History Information

Event Date Comment
SUSP 1979-07-11 FAILURE TO APPEAR SUSPENSION;FTA TRIAL DATE 790621
CCHG 1996-07-01 ;TA16101 ;0000000
SCHG 1996-07-01 T641;A TO R
SCHG 1996-07-01 T641;R TO A

As this case has bothered me a great deal, I want to say how grateful I am that authorities continued to pursue this and appear now do have a real, viable 'suspect' (person of interest).

I think the witnesses who talked about a 50 year old man were talking about the tape recorder man... who is *NOT* the man in this sketch. This sketch says that they believe the person to be late teens/early twenties, which must have come from the people who helped provide the sketch. This age range fits with Welch's age at the time (18).

The 'Tape Recorder Man' was always, not to put too fine a point on it, so much nonsense. (A position I tried, awkwardly, to make once and was quickly shouted down.) Well-dressed, middle-aged men do *not* abduct children, as a rule. Why this other witness sketch and report has been withheld is certainly fodder for speculation.

My (semi-wild) guess is that the police knew shortly after 'TRM' was out there and mass-hysteria 'sightings' began pouring in that the 'lead' was a complete non-starter, but they couldn't very well retract it at that point and say 'Well, maybe this sketch is the guy'. They simply had to leave it out there as a red herring while continuing to keep the real evidence close to their vest until they could break the case. (Though I doubt any of them imagined it'd be four decades later.)

Wow! I had reconciled myself to the fact that this case would never, ever be solved. I've been to that mall a hundred times and often thought of them. My prayers to the Lyon family and I hope they will have answers soon.

see the case summary thread (the sketch came from a witness at the time)
Yes, but I believe Fukiyama is asking why LE declined to say how they placed Welch at Wheaton while at the same time indicating he pretty much matches a sketch of a man who took in an interest in the sisters at the mall. LE seems to have something more definitive than just matching Welch with a sketch, something more that LE is protecting.

Wow! I can't believe it. I have often wondered if the Tape Recorder Man was a red herring-just an unfortunate coincidence that couldn't be ruled out. Seems like that may have actually happened :( It is definitely interesting that a fairly accurate sketch was never made public until now. I also wonder how they placed him and are able to say he interacted with them.

I can see how a younger, normal looking guy and a nice looking girl could pretty easily abduct two children. That picture of them together makes them both look so friendly. Who would ever guess what lurked beneath that? So sad and I hope, if it is true, I am praying he confesses and says where they are.

I've been chomping at the bit to get on here today, this is my first chance. I haven't read all the posts yet but hope Richard has weighed in on this.

I am so happy about this news, and hope it pans out. Wow, after all this time, it would be so nice for the Lyons family to get some answers.

So help me here..

He is so close to neighboring states. I am a googler but I have to wonder if there is some way to find more info in an easier way in states on the East Coast.

First thing we can do is make a list of young girls who went missing in or around malls and carnivals.

Then we can match them against his known locations.

This may have already been posted, since I am playing catch-up, but I know there was a case a long time ago of two girls missing either from a carnival or state fair in Oklahoma. I'm pretty sure we have a thread for it. I don't know, though, if the timeline is right for this to be connected to Welch.

Cinda Pallett and Charlotte Kinsey went to the Oklahoma State Fairgrounds and phoned home to say they had a job with a man there. They were never seen again.

This was 1981 and the girls were both 13.

Thanks, shadowdancer, this was the case I was thinking about.

IT is him. I just looked at him in a bigger pic. Same nose.. that is him.. Same ears.

YES?!

So we would then know he used another name?

He is Michael Lloyd Welch there..

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/SC1227534/Michael-Lloyd-Welch.html

Is this him?? Because this puts him in Harrisburg PA.

I know he is in prison..

IT really looks like him with a different first name...

That would be 4 years before conviction in Delaware.

yes it is the same guy - here is the link to the FBI POI site - http://www.fbi.gov/baltimore/press-releases/2014/person-of-interest-named-in-kidnapping-of-lyon-sisters-others-victims-sought
you will see its the same photo.

http://www.homefacts.com/offender-detail/SC1227534/Michael-Lloyd-Welch.html

Is this him?? Because this puts him in Harrisburg PA.
I know he is in prison..
IT really looks like him with a different first name...
That would be 4 years before conviction in Delaware.

Yes, the different name and the address in Harrisburg PA is listed in the information package that was released during the press conference.

http://www.mymcpnews.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/Info-Packet-Lyon.pdf

Here is a link to Nursebeem's post with the timeline and locations:
Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community - View Single Post - Possible Break in the Case

Yes, the different name and the address in Harrisburg PA is listed in the information package that was released during the press conference.

Okay.. Sorry.. I am off to find my trifocals.

As this case has bothered me a great deal, I want to say how grateful I am that authorities continued to pursue this and appear now do have a real, viable 'suspect' (person of interest).

The 'Tape Recorder Man' was always, not to put too fine a point on it, so much nonsense. (A position I tried, awkwardly, to make once and was quickly shouted down.) Well-dressed, middle-aged men do *not* abduct children, as a rule. Why this other witness sketch and report has been withheld is certainly fodder for speculation.

My (semi-wild) guess is that the police knew shortly after 'TRM' was out there and mass-hysteria 'sightings' began pouring in that the 'lead' was a complete non-starter, but they couldn't very well retract it at that point and say 'Well, maybe this sketch is the guy'. They simply had to leave it out there as a red herring while continuing to keep the real evidence close to their vest until they could break the case. (Though I doubt any of them imagined it'd be four decades later.)

BBM Do you have a source, Woodlawn, for this statement or is it your opinion? Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413