London Ontario - Tori Stafford murder trial begins jury selection

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess it remains to be seen if TLM will take the stand. I have read some links upstream that say she will.
-------

We will be setting up a **no discussion-media/tweets only** thread for the trial tomorrow. If anyone finds good links to reporters who are providing updates you may add those links as well as what is being posted by the media on the trial.

So I was just researching "direct indictments" and here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.ppsc-sppc.gc.ca/eng/nws-nvs/comm/2010/01_06_10b.html

The part that really stands out and hopefully it is good news for this trial that there is very good evidence:

The circumstances in a case for which a direct indictment is recommended must meet the charge approval standard – namely, that there is a reasonable prospect of conviction at trial, and the public interest requires a prosecution to be pursued.

What stands out to me in that link is "the public interest requires a prosecution to be pursued".

From the same link:

The controlling factor in all instances is whether the public interest requires a departure from the usual procedure of indictment following an order to stand trial made at a preliminary inquiry.

and:

f.where proceedings against the accused ought to be expedited to ensure public confidence in the administration of justice – for example, where the determination of the accused’s innocence or guilt is of particular public importance;

The decision to not have a preliminary inquiry coincides with the additional charge to Rafferty of sexual assault causing bodily harm in June 2010. That makes sense to me. TLM will be testifying in court and will be cross examined so it isn't 'easier' IMO.

Rest easy sweet Victoria. Tomorrow begins the second half of your justice.

21q1kj.jpg

:rose:

How is this an advantage for TLM? She's charged, convicted and sentenced. Nothing that happens here will change that. She might have liked a couple of rounds of testimony to break up her boring routine. :)

MOO

It's easier for her because she doesn't have to go through the gruelling cross-examination twice. I'm sure it won't be a pleasant experience for her, even with only having to do it once.

JMO

[ame="http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=164836"]trial media and tweet thread (5 March 2012): **no discussion** - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community[/ame] this is a thread for any live updates or tweets from the courtroom. It is a **no discussion** thread to be able to keep the trial information organized.

It's easier for her because she doesn't have to go through the gruelling cross-examination twice. I'm sure it won't be a pleasant experience for her, even with only having to do it once.

JMO

Easier too in that it gives her less chances of getting caught in a lie.

MOO

How is this an advantage for TLM? She's charged, convicted and sentenced. Nothing that happens here will change that. She might have liked a couple of rounds of testimony to break up her boring routine. :)

MOO

TY! Anyone care to explain how this is an advantage for TLM? She's living in jail. She plead guilty to murder. She was sentenced. There was no plea deal.

ETA: I see a response. I don't think not being cross examined twice was as important to get this to trial than having evidence to charge MR with sexual assault.

What stands out to me in that link is "the public interest requires a prosecution to be pursued".

From the same link:

and:

Exactly, so was the direct indictment because of the high likelihood of a conviction or because there was so much public interest in this case?

He was charged with SEXUAL ASSAULT in June 2010. The trial was fast tracked in June 2010. <modsnip>

Easier too in that it gives her less chances of getting caught in a lie.

MOO

Exactly. Because she only has to testify once, there is no risk of there being discrepancies between her preliminary testimony (since it didn't happen) and her testimony during the actual trial.

Will TLM's testimony from her sentencing in April 2010 be used in this trial?

TLM pleaded guilty April 30 2010, the trial was fast tracked June 2010,<modsnip>

Exactly. Because she only has to testify once, there is no risk of there being discrepancies between her preliminary testimony (since it didn't happen) and her testimony during the actual trial.

I'm sure that all of her interviews with LE, where she confessed and gave them info as to what took place, were taped and will be used as evidence. So if she is going to contradict it will be noted. There is also her unedited statement of facts.

MOO

ETA: Actually I see it to her disadvantage that she is not going to be prepared for the "gruelling" cross examination and won't know what the defense is going to ask her. To suggest, as MR's lawyer has, that anything has been done to make things easy on TLM is ludicrous IMO.

Global News will be covering the the trial as it starts on Monday with up-to-the-minute live reporting from the courthouse in London.

Global Toronto&#8217;s Laura Zilke will be reporting from Woodstock on Monday bringing you the latest details on Twitter throughout the day

Read it on Global News: Global Toronto | Trial of man accused of murdering Tori Stafford begins Monday

http://www.globaltoronto.com/trial+...+stafford+begins+monday/6442593948/story.html

Mods, will there be a discussion thread for the info coming out of the courtroom, or do we post here? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member