MA - Bella Bond, 2, found dead, Deer Island, Boston Harbor, June 2015 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
HAHA that's just a Chinese fire drill. Jeeze just go around, LOL

ETA: That brake pedal is a big part of driver ed here :)

As I said, I'm an import. I haven't acquired all the skills yet. :D

HAHA that's just a Chinese fire drill. Jeeze just go around, LOL

ETA: That brake pedal is a big part of driver ed here :)

BBM:
YES, both the brake comment & the "Chinese fire drill" (oh heck, THAT does bring back a few memories of Mass. Ave!) Now as a born & brought up Bostonian (Southie to the 'burbs, no less), I'd add that the blinker (directional to the rest of ya!) was/is considered "optional equipment" on a cahr!

BTW: been out of Mass FT residence since '75 & STILL have the accent (wicked strong for certain words!!)

May I add a little information to the general process of OCME patient evaluation? Promise to be brief, for a change! :)

The decedent is removed from a death scene with care, a NEW, unopened body bag is utilized. Frequently there is a temporary "shroud" placed over the victim, many (in some jurisdictions, ALL) first responders have NEW, unopened tarps/sheets that are used and if ANY coverings are used, they come with the decedent to the OCME in either the transport (body) bag OR in evidence bags. EVERYTHING on or near the decedent is acknowledged, photographed & collected (every single time in a perfect world!).

Arriving @ the OCME, the decedent is entered into the system, assigned a full case # & that # stays with the case. Keeping every possible piece of evidence in tact & "pure", as in NOT contaminated by any other case or individual is standard behavior, in the beginning of a case, that which is "THE CLUE" is unknown so great care is necessary! The body is observed, externally evaluated CLOTHED & everything is evaluated/described/frequently photographed. As the body is undressed, each clothing item is evaluated over a fresh sheet of paper (think the brown "butcher paper" on a huge roll!). Also hair (ALL) is fine-tooth combed over the paper, detritus from under nails (ALL, if appropriate) is collected on the paper and/or swabbed for DNA testing.

SO.....just from this brief example, one can see that there's plenty of "stuff" to evaluate for foreign substances.

In THIS case, the pollen in the bag probably came from the clothing/hair as it was "washed" via the moisture within the bag (think that the bag created a greenhouse effect).

Every article I've read indicates specifically the clothing and the blanket were tested and showed pollen and soot. Please link the article that you read that contradicts this please. :)

The article listed down by elepher.. u will see it click on it and read.and it states the bag was tested only.

I know....... that's why confused... hopefully everything is tested, but LE says the bag was tested, bout the girl or items.....
Oh. Well that sort of changes things a bit
: /

Of course the bag has boston pollen on it. It sat out in Boston. I mean if expect them to find boston pollen in her as well but maybe they'll find other pollens in addition to boston pollens?

Oh. Well that sort of changes things a bit
: /

Of course the bag has boston pollen on it. It sat out in Boston. I mean if expect them to find boston pollen in her as well but maybe they'll find other pollens in addition to boston pollens?

Mean to say I'd expect them and on her not in her.

I know....... that's why confused... hopefully everything is tested, but LE says the bag was tested, bout the girl or items.....

just a point of advice: Do NOT get hung up on the third party (journalist) interpretation of scientific data/report! The sourcing of the unknowns was greater than JUST the bag ....... see my comment above. The main point that the article/press release information desired to achieve: scientific proof that she's got a local connection.

just a point of advice: Do NOT get hung up on the third party (journalist) interpretation of scientific data/report! The sourcing of the unknowns was greater than JUST the bag ....... see my comment above. The main point that the article/press release information desired to achieve: scientific proof that she's got a local connection.

I think you are right. It was just imperfect reporting-- I hope

joypath is my favorite poster....evahhh. :) love your posts.

May I add a little information to the general process of OCME patient evaluation? Promise to be brief, for a change! :)

The decedent is removed from a death scene with care, a NEW, unopened body bag is utilized. Frequently there is a temporary "shroud" placed over the victim, many (in some jurisdictions, ALL) first responders have NEW, unopened tarps/sheets that are used and if ANY coverings are used, they come with the decedent to the OCME in either the transport (body) bag OR in evidence bags. EVERYTHING on or near the decedent is acknowledged, photographed & collected (every single time in a perfect world!).

Arriving @ the OCME, the decedent is entered into the system, assigned a full case # & that # stays with the case. Keeping every possible piece of evidence in tact & "pure", as in NOT contaminated by any other case or individual is standard behavior, in the beginning of a case, that which is "THE CLUE" is unknown so great care is necessary! The body is observed, externally evaluated CLOTHED & everything is evaluated/described/frequently photographed. As the body is undressed, each clothing item is evaluated over a fresh sheet of paper (think the brown "butcher paper" on a huge roll!). Also hair (ALL) is fine-tooth combed over the paper, detritus from under nails (ALL, if appropriate) is collected on the paper and/or swabbed for DNA testing.

SO.....just from this brief example, one can see that there's plenty of "stuff" to evaluate for foreign substances.

In THIS case, the pollen in the bag probably came from the clothing/hair as it was "washed" via the moisture within the bag (think that the bag created a greenhouse effect).
I learn a ton from you joypath. Keep posting!! lol. Oh and to the people saying they are playfully offended on the Boston driving comments, I'm a transplant. My fiance is a Boston native. After 5 years up here, interesting driving tactics...to say the least. You either get in there with them or get ran over...esp. on the pike. LOL. Have a great day everyone. Fingers crossed something new breaks on this case soon. Just waiting for school to start back. : )

Just look at all the reports from the media that have her height wrong! It's so frustrating because they say 3 and a half feet. She's just over 3 according to NamUS. I know it's just a few inches, but that's a pretty big difference when you're comparing kids.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Police have DNA profile for Baby Doe, sent to police stations all over the country (video)

http://www.myfoxboston.com/video?clipId=11700414&autoStart=true

BBM:

This is not a new video (no "newer" DNA has "arrived"!). The key point raised in this report is subtle, that the information has been shared with multiple police agencies. This detail is important as there are legal limitations in various jurisdictions as to the capacity to perform random DNA searches within "universal" (think CODIS, NDIS or AFRSSIR) databases. SO familial searches might be performed within the State's database. BTW: there are jurisdictional limitations on mtDNA searches, Texas (where the sample was sent) is quite liberal (yeah, I used that word!) in permitting FEDERAL searching.

This long article appeared on the Channel 5 website over the weekend. I think it might be from the Boston Globe originally but there's no credit or link. Lots of information about how the investigation has gone:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/detectives-try-to-id-little-girl-left-dead-on-deer-island/34715284

"On that 41st day, the results of the pollen analysis came back. Baby Doe had played among the pines and oaks of New England; she was dusted with traces of privet hedges and cedar-of-Lebanon, which are not native but are often planted in the suburbs. The soot mixed in with the pollen told investigators her surroundings were urban. Somewhere near Boston, they concluded."

There are not that many cedars of Lebanon around here. The only ones I know about are in Jamaica Plain at the Arboretum. I'm sure there are others, of course, but that means extremely local. https://goo.gl/maps/FoAXG

This long article appeared on the Channel 5 website over the weekend. I think it might be from the Boston Globe originally but there's no credit or link. Lots of information about how the investigation has gone:

http://www.wcvb.com/news/detectives-try-to-id-little-girl-left-dead-on-deer-island/34715284

"On that 41st day, the results of the pollen analysis came back. Baby Doe had played among the pines and oaks of New England; she was dusted with traces of privet hedges and cedar-of-Lebanon, which are not native but are often planted in the suburbs. The soot mixed in with the pollen told investigators her surroundings were urban. Somewhere near Boston, they concluded."

There are not that many cedars of Lebanon around here. The only ones I know about are in Jamaica Plain at the Arboretum. I'm sure there are others, of course, but that means extremely local. https://goo.gl/maps/FoAXG

That stuck out at me as well. I don't recall seeing many down that way, but wasn't sure how much to trust my memory.

I do think there are cedars of Lebanon over in the Lynn Woods Reservation, but not 100 percent sure.

I'm under the impression they don't grow that well in the Boston area. The climate is a bit cold for them, so they need protected conditions.

I'm under the impression they don't grow that well in the Boston area. The climate is a bit cold for them, so they need protected conditions.
In landscaping there some dwarf varieties that adapt pretty well like Dwarf Lebanon Cedar (ibani sargentii) Or Atlas Cedar, which are subspecies of Cedar of Lebanon. Also widely used in Bonsai Design.

So I am not sure if the pollen results were released as to specific subspecies. I am sure the results would show very specifically, but may not report it.

MOO

In landscaping there some dwarf varieties that adapt pretty well like Dwarf Lebanon Cedar (ibani sargentii) Or Atlas Cedar, which are subspecies of Cedar of Lebanon. Also widely used in Bonsai Design.

So I am not sure if the pollen results were released as to specific subspecies. I am sure the results would show very specifically, but may not report it.

MOO

That was my take. Atlas Cedar grows throughout New England.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
raindrop413