MA - Four children found hidden in apartment with alcohol, drugs, sex toys & corpse - Boston - June 21 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The children in this story may have been voluntarily put in protective custody in till emotions and funeral are done. We do not know...moo

<RSBM>

The MSM articles have all reported that the children in this story were reported to DCF by the Boston police as well as Boston fire with a "51A" form to DCF due to extremely unsanitary conditions in the home, as well as other concerns.

I've not seen any indication at all, that any children were voluntarily handed over to DCF. The mother of 2 of the children removed gives a short interview here and never implies they were voluntarily given up. She claims the first responders saw her transgender friends, and one dead on the floor (her words) and just "assumed the worst".

<RSBM>

The MSM articles have all reported that the children in this story were reported to DCF by the Boston police as well as Boston fire with a "51A" form to DCF due to extremely unsanitary conditions in the home, as well as other concerns.

I've not seen any indication at all, that any children were voluntarily handed over to DCF. The mother of 2 of the children removed gives a short interview here and never implies they were voluntarily given up. She claims the first responders saw her transgender friends, and one dead on the floor (her words) and just "assumed the worst".
BBM. The official Boston Police report does NOT cite "extremely unsanitary conditions in the home, as well as other concerns."

I believe it is standard procedure for the BPD--in any death investigation where children are present--is to bring in DCF to "ensure appropriate follow up with the families involved." I think DCF could provide resources to help the children and families work through the emotional trauma of the incident.

JMO

Link to the official BPD Official Report:

Due to the nature of the call, and to ensure appropriate follow up with the families involved, officers did file a 51A with DCF.

Moo..you can voluntarily put your child/children in protective custody with DCF. I put my child in protective custody when he was 3. It allowed him to access therapy, spend weekends or a week with a traditional nuclear family, when he got older he also had access a big brother family. After 3 years DCF wanted to close file...I said no. So he got 3 more years in protective custody. My son lived with me but very open relationship with DCF. They could take him if I was not mentally stable, if he felt uncomfortable he could phone DCF they would come and get him, if I was feeling unstable they would come an get him.
I asked my mom why didn't you put us in foster care...because your mine and it would be embarrassing......I am just trying to say DCF can be there for you..in a good supportive way
The children in this story may have been voluntarily put in protective custody in till emotions and funeral are done. We do not know...moo
BBM. You're right, we do not know. Nor should we know. As DCF told the media after the Boston City Council meeting, the family and children have state and federal rights to privacy.

I've read about so many cases where DCF agencies have failed miserably so it warms my heart to learn your family received such positive support. Thank you for sharing.

JMO

BPD Report. Official???

Skipping over a week of posts, I'm sorry if this has already been thoroughly discussed. Some posted that BPD released official report.

Respectfully DISAGREEING that BPD publicly released official "INCIDENT REPORT,"* the one which was (or as SOP, should have been, iiuc) initially completed shortly after 911 call when BPD officers went to apt. Did I miss it?

But AGREEING --- after MSM & soc media launched a hullaballo --- that BPD released AN official response**
(Update to Death Investigation at 381 Old Colony Avenue, South Boston — bpdnews.com) but imo not the Incident Report an individual LEO already filed.

^^^ Two different things.^^^

I'm not clamoring for BPD to release official INCIDENT REPORT, just pointing out that imo, there's (likely) a difference btwn BPD's publicly released response and an LEO's official Incident Report.

See format of BPD "OFFENSE/INCIDENT REPORT COVER SHEET."

IME an official muni. LE report is often called an "INCIDENT REPORT," sometimes carries that as a header on the first (sometimes only page), which usu. has numerous boxes or fields for the reporting LEO to complete re name, address, times, etc. Then, a narrative follows.
In BPD reports I've seen, the form name includes "Cover Sheet"

** What I saw was BPD's public release of info in free-form, a few (several?) paragraphs, approx. one page long (or less).
ETA link dated June 22:

Reports on the incident filed by public safety officials raise as many questions as provide answers.
For instance, two Boston police reports state the victim’s friends called police when they noticed the woman was not breathing. When police responded around 11 a.m., Boston firefighters and paramedics were already on the scene trying to help the woman, according to the reports. A detective processed the scene. By 1 p.m., the woman’s body was being taken to the medical examiner’s office.

But those two police reports do not mention the presence of children, other adults, or the condition of the unit. They also don’t feature details that have cropped up in various media reports about the death, namely the presence of drugs and sex toys in the apartment.

The next day, a police officer filed a 51a report with the Department of Children and Families. Such a report typically signals suspected child abuse or neglect. The officer only cited the “conditions of the home.” That report did not include the number of children for which the 51a was filed…

Meanwhile, Boston Fire Department’s Ladder 18 responded to the scene, arriving at 11:17 a.m., according to a department report. EMS was already there. (A Globe public records request for the EMS report from the incident is pending.)

The fire department report said there were six adults in the apartment, which at the time “was in extreme unsanitary conditions.” Firefighters found four children in the back bedroom being hidden by a man, according to the report. Firefighters estimated the youngest of the children to be 5 years old.

Firefighters also filed a 51a with DCF that day, the report shows. That report does not mention drugs, drug paraphernalia, or sex toys…

There remain several unanswered questions surrounding the woman’s death, the conditions of the home, and the response by public safety departments. The death certificate for the woman lists her last known address as Brockton and a cause of death as “pending.”

Last edited:

Reports on the incident filed by public safety officials raise as many questions as provide answers.
For instance, two Boston police reports state the victim’s friends called police when they noticed the woman was not breathing. When police responded around 11 a.m., Boston firefighters and paramedics were already on the scene trying to help the woman, according to the reports. A detective processed the scene. By 1 p.m., the woman’s body was being taken to the medical examiner’s office.

But those two police reports do not mention the presence of children, other adults, or the condition of the unit. They also don’t feature details that have cropped up in various media reports about the death, namely the presence of drugs and sex toys in the apartment.

The next day, a police officer filed a 51a report with the Department of Children and Families. Such a report typically signals suspected child abuse or neglect. The officer only cited the “conditions of the home.” That report did not include the number of children for which the 51a was filed…

Meanwhile, Boston Fire Department’s Ladder 18 responded to the scene, arriving at 11:17 a.m., according to a department report. EMS was already there. (A Globe public records request for the EMS report from the incident is pending.)

The fire department report said there were six adults in the apartment, which at the time “was in extreme unsanitary conditions.” Firefighters found four children in the back bedroom being hidden by a man, according to the report. Firefighters estimated the youngest of the children to be 5 years old.

Firefighters also filed a 51a with DCF that day, the report shows. That report does not mention drugs, drug paraphernalia, or sex toys…

There remain several unanswered questions surrounding the woman’s death, the conditions of the home, and the response by public safety departments. The death certificate for the woman lists her last known address as Brockton and a cause of death as “pending.”
BBM. If there isn't an official investigation into those two public safety departments, I'll be shocked.

JMO

Also of note from the report:

Globe fashions this story as "the front line of a Boston culture war."

Boston police denied a Globe request for body camera footage citing privacy and the ongoing investigation.

Flaherty, a former prosecutor who is the chairman of the council’s public safety committee stands by his comments that the dead body in the apartment was “from an apparent overdose” and that “a man wearing a wig claiming to be the father” of the children was found in a bedroom. He said it was clear the children involved needed to be protected, and he wanted to amplify the gravity of the situation

Also of note from the report:

Globe fashions this story as "the front line of a Boston culture war."

Boston police denied a Globe request for body camera footage citing privacy and the ongoing investigation.

Flaherty, a former prosecutor who is the chairman of the council’s public safety committee stands by his comments that the dead body in the apartment was “from an apparent overdose” and that “a man wearing a wig claiming to be the father” of the children was found in a bedroom. He said it was clear the children involved needed to be protected, and he wanted to amplify the gravity of the situation
Flaherty is a politician who wasn't there. Respecting human rights of all Americans--including the victim and children--should be his main focus.

JMO

I would guess they denied children were there because it was inappropriate to have children there.
If the adults wanted to get together for whatever reason, fine, they're allowed to do that.
But to have kids there, while whatever was going on was going on, is just wrong.
So they denied there were kids there, until one of the FD guys heard kids crying in the other room.

Anyone from the FD making this up or lying about it or embellishing, is just one of the most boneheaded things to do, and would most certainly be career suicide so, I cannot think of a single reason for those working professionals at the Boston FD to make any of this up. They saw what they saw.

jmo
'we were keeping them away from the body'... ' mother (?) of the children - OH WELL, then!!

That's okay, right?!?

...IMO, LE of all stripes treat the death of all people out of a certain expected age range as suspicious until proven otherwise: and that's why the kids were removed.

Nothing we've heard about this denies that fact (there's an unexpected non elderly corpse), OR screams 'good judgment' on the part of this household.

Last edited:
'we were keeping them away from the body'... 'mother' of the children - OH WELL, then!!

That's okay, right?!?

...IMO, LE of all stripes treat the death of all people out of a certain expected age range as suspicious until proven otherwise: and that's why the kids were removed.

Nothing we've heard about this denies that fact (there's an unexpected non elderly corpse), OR screams 'good judgment' on the part of this household.
BBM. I don't believe this is true at all. Children being present when someone dies--no matter the age of the deceased--is going to be emotionally traumatizing enough without further emotional trauma of removing the children from their home.

All police did was make a referral (link upthread #443)

JMO

Due to the nature of the call, and to ensure appropriate follow up with the families involved, officers did file a 51A with DCF.

BBM. I don't believe this is true at all. Children being present when someone dies--no matter the age of the deceased--is going to be emotionally traumatizing enough without further emotional trauma of removing the children from their home.

All police did was make a referral (link upthread #443)

From the Globe report:

The death and the condition of the apartment prompted the state to take four children from the unit into custody.

A police officer filed a 51a report with the Department of Children and Families. Such a report typically signals suspected child abuse or neglect. The officer only cited the “conditions of the home.”

From the Globe report:

The death and the condition of the apartment prompted the state to take four children from the unit into custody.

A police officer filed a 51a report with the Department of Children and Families. Such a report typically signals suspected child abuse or neglect. The officer only cited the “conditions of the home.”

BBM. Link, please.

I'm confident "conditions of the home" include things such as dangerous mold growing because of a leaky water pipe. Such a condition in a very old public housing building would be outside the control of the parent.

JMO

BBM. Link, please.

I'm confident "conditions of the home" include things such as dangerous mold growing because of a leaky water pipe. Such a condition in a very old public housing building would be outside the control of the parent.
The Globe report is linked. Here's another report:

According to the Fire Department's incident report, the apartment was in "extreme unsanitary conditions."

The Globe report is linked. Here's another report:

According to the Fire Department's incident report, the apartment was in "extreme unsanitary conditions."

The Globe has tried to politicize this incident from the beginning with sensationalism rather than facts. There were no drugs, sex toys mentioned in either report. As I previously stated, if there was mold growing from leaking pipes, yes that could be considered "extreme unsanitary conditions."

I applaud the current investigation.

JMO

There is ZERO evidence the Globe has "politicized" their report.
The entire story is about it being politicized.

From the linK upthread:

US Representative Stephen Lynch was among those on the tour. Speaking to reporters that day, he said the group was seeking “more facts about what transpired.” Toxicology reports related to the death had yet to come back, Lynch observed. He also pointed to official reports from Boston police and fire officials “that seem to be in conflict.”

“We’d like to get the whole story,” said Lynch, who grew up in public housing in Southie.

The entire story is about it being politicized.

From the linK upthread:

US Representative Stephen Lynch was among those on the tour. Speaking to reporters that day, he said the group was seeking “more facts about what transpired.” Toxicology reports related to the death had yet to come back, Lynch observed. He also pointed to official reports from Boston police and fire officials “that seem to be in conflict.”

“We’d like to get the whole story,” said Lynch, who grew up in public housing in Southie.

The involvement of a Congressmember in events that happen in his/her district isn't political, he/she is the district's representatives and the local district office would normally look into these issues on behalf of their constituents. Not sure why this is seen as political.

The involvement of a Congressmember in events that happen in his/her district isn't political, he/she is the district's representatives and the local district office would normally look into these issues on behalf of their constituents. Not sure why this is seen as political.
Of course it is political. The Congressman wants to get to the bottom of the conflicting public agency reports as well as why several politicians chose to go to the news media and publicly claim facts--such as sex toys being present, a drag party underway, drugs being present and children being hidden--that were absolutely not true. Facts do matter.

JMO

I sure would appreciate any help in getting the facts about this case made known to the public.

The desire for the truth has nothing to do with politics.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FLGHTMEDC1
Back