Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Poor Michael. It's times like these I wish I lived nearby to help search, I'm only one year older than him. :(

People living here can't help, either, Motorunner. I think if the police are forced to call the search off before finding him, you'll see the whole town take over and search for ourselves. Nobody will rest until he is found.

Yeah, but shirt and one sneaker found on water's edge and other sneaker found on other side of water's edge. Police don't think the sneakers were under the marshy/mucky water. Seems like he took shirt/sneaker off one side of the water and carried other sneaker across. People who have too much to drink do some weird things.

Didn't have to go into the water before hypothermia began to set in, but it definitely would've been more likely to facilitate it quicker than just rain and mildly low temperatures (high 30s/low 40s is what I heard). In any case, the clothes being strewn about is more indicative of paradoxical undressing in this context, because we have a person become missing when it was relatively cold outside and near water. Whether other factors like drugs or alcohol could've expedited the process is unknown. But it is unlikely that a drunk, high, or both, person would just suddenly remove their clothes in this context for no reason, especially when the behavior is statistically common among those suffering from hypothermia.

There is also a phenomenon related to hypothermia and paradoxical undressing where the victim tries to burrow him or herself just before expiring. I hope LE is aware of this and are looking into small spaces.

All JMO, of course.

Did anyone hear about the condition of the shirt and shoes? Had they been torn at all? Does anyone know how much Micheal weighs?

Didn't have to go into the water before hypothermia began to set in, but it definitely would've been more likely to facilitate it quicker than just rain and mildly low temperatures (high 30s/low 40s is what I heard). In any case, the clothes being strewn about is more indicative of paradoxical undressing in this context, because we have a person become missing when it was relatively cold outside and near water. Whether other factors like drugs or alcohol could've expedited the process is unknown. But it is unlikely that a drunk, high, or both, person would just suddenly remove their clothes in this context for no reason, especially when the behavior is statistically common among those suffering from hypothermia.

There is also a phenomenon related to hypothermia and paradoxical undressing where the victim tries to burrow him or herself just before expiring. I hope LE is aware of this and are looking into small spaces.

All JMO, of course.

It seems he took his shirt and sneaker off to go into the water but maybe got tipsy taking the 2nd sneaker off and fell into the water with it in his hand? Got up and continued across the water where he left the other sneaker? Probably did get hypothermia because he is a small guy.

Yes, the police are indeed aware of hypothermia and how the victim will try to burrow somewhere. The police and the parents have been reminding those in the area every day to check their sheds or anywhere on their property where Michael may have tried to burrow. :-(

the near 100 degree day we had yesterday also worries me if he is lying injured somewhere. I hope they find him soon. His poor family :please:

No you don't need to be an eagle scout. But why would any one decide to rough it when the weather is terrible., you're not prepared in clothing, you have been offered rides, your phone is almost dead and then decide to wade through six foot high marshes. If this wasn't so sad it would almost be comical. This story smells. Something happened at that party.

I take your point, but he didn't have to wade through marshes to get home, there's a path. People have been tying blue ribbons on it for days now. Suggesting wading implies a level of effort that theoretically wasn't necessary. There's even a video of the path out there from some news crew.

I take your point, but he didn't have to wade through marshes to get home, there's a path. People have been tying blue ribbons on it for days now. Suggesting wading implies a level of effort that theoretically wasn't necessary. There's even a video of the path out there from some news crew.

He may have been more impaired than people are saying. Let's say he did eat a pot brownie ( theoretically), later in the evening. It takes a while to hit his system. He leaves the house around the time the brownie takes full effect.

People do crazy unexplainable things when high on pot mixed with alcohol. Especially synthetic marijuana. Hopefully that wasn't the case here, but I'm just thinking of possible scenario's that would cause him to go in the wrong direction, or walk through muddy marshes etc.

Blythe, I live here in Franklin and I've never seen anything like this. The community has come together and are doing whatever is needed. Nobody thinks foul play is involved. I don't think that's crossed anybody's mind since the police don't think foul played is involved either. You have NO idea what us parents are going through here! There isn't one of us who wouldn't be out there searching, too, if the police would allow us to. The community is delivering water, gatorade, granola bars, pizza, bug spray, sun screen....whatever the searchers need. The police had to ask everyone to stop because they have so much. There is nothing the community wouldn't do to bring that boy home to his parents, so don't judge based upon what little the media has shown you.

Thank you for establishing the humanitarian efforts from Franklin; now it sounds like my home town. I come to Web Sleuths for just this purpose - to get a truth filled well rounded view of how community responds to loss and justice. AFAIK the media has not quite portrayed this. I did see how the fraternity member was assisting in the search.

It's a very sad disappearance, which apparently was so avoidable, making it seem more tragic. Well...maybe there will be an amazing happy ending. If not, the gathering together of community is a beautiful manifestation of brotherly love. Thanks for the perspective.

Franklin: No progress in Doherty search

"“When we’ve covered every area of the swamp (around Mine Brook), we can talk about pushing further out,” he said.

Units from the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council, State Police, Massachusetts Environmental Police and area police and fire departments were involved in Thursday’s search.

Investigative efforts have continued as well, Mill said, noting that detectives had knocked on many doors and sought as much surveillance video as possible in the area where Doherty went missing. According to Mill, nothing suspicious had been found during that work, and there was no indication that Doherty might have left the area.

“By every account, he was a well-rounded, nice young man,” Mill said. According to video evidence from earlier Sunday night, Doherty appeared to be in good spirits before his disappearance, Mill said."

Did anyone hear about the condition of the shirt and shoes? Had they been torn at all? Does anyone know how much Micheal weighs?

Just looked like he took off the shirt and sneaker and placed on the ground before he entered the water....and other sneaker found on other side of the water. I recall the police saying the sneakers didn't show signs of being in the mucky water.

Wow, I live in Franklin and didn't know about that page. Good to know. Thanks!

I haven't read all the posts here, so forgive me if this has already been answered. What is the distance between the two shoes that were found? TIA

Does anyone have any idea how michael carried he sneaker to the other side of the 6 foot deep marsh without getting an mud on it?

Are they 100% sure the shoes are his? I haven't heard anyone confirm this yet.

Does anyone have any idea how michael carried he sneaker to the other side of the 6 foot deep marsh without getting an mud on it?

When I first heard of the second shoe being found away from the other shoe and shirt, I thought perhaps a crow picked one up and dropped it along the way. Crows are known for swiping things (including golf balls.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hernak