GUILTY MA - Mobster James 'Whitey' Bulger charged with murder, racketeering

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
BREAKING NEWS: Key witness in Whitey Bulger trial is found dead in woods
days before he was due 'drop a bombshell' in court against the feared mobster

• Stephen Rakes, 59, was discovered dead on Wednesday on a secluded rural road in Lincoln, Massachusetts
• Rakes was days away from testifying against notorious mobster James 'Whitey' Bulger
• Had told friends he was going to give explosive testimony against Bulger at his ongoing trial in Boston
• Rakes alleged that Bulger tried to extort his South Boston liquor store from him the 1980s
• Bulger allegedly held a gun to Rakes' daughter's head to make him give up his business

the story, with pictures, at the Daily Mail link

Anyone following? Jury is on fourth day now!

Everyone I know is talking about this. Opinions here range from they're gonna throw the book at him, to a sizable contingent of people who think he needs to be punished, but would be "amused" (for want of a better word) at seeing him walk just to give the FBI a black eye.

I'm fairly sympathetic to the latter opinion, I have to say.

Waiting for the Bulger verdict. Jury has finished deliberating Watching channel 5 WCVB as people come to the courtroom. I pray for guilty and Boston and most especially family of victims needs to move beyond this.

11 convictions. Happening quickly so will need to go back and look at each. But plenty enough for life in prison and also for racketeering. Some families of victims will be heartbroken and some cases were not proved but seems Jury deliberated to get as many hammered out as they could. Burden of proof very high. Now put this guy in real jail. My sympathies to all the families impacted and hurt by this man.

Jury finds 'Whitey' Bulger guilty of racketeering, conspiracy

Bulger was found guilty of extortion conspiracy, possession of firearms and machine guns in furtherance of a violent crime, possession of unregistered machine guns, transfer and possession of machine guns, possession of firearms with obliterated serial numbers and of 21 counts of concealing money laundering.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/08/1...ering-trial-reputed-crime-boss/#ixzz2bmWa0A2f

Whitey has been on the minds of people in Boston for a long time. My mother grew up in the South Boston projects. The same age as Whitey. As a matter of fact, the Bulger family had three older brothers and a younger daughter. My mom's family had three older sisters and a younger brother. Each family matched each other in ages. Mom is Whitey's age. She knew him well, but was not supposed to interact with him. He used to steal my uncles lunch money. My mom and her sisters were beauties and Whitey would ogle them from across the street. Luckily they had friends who would protect them. She remembers one named<modsnip> ER who saw Whitey making eyes at my mom and just looked Whitey in the eyes and shook his head no. Mom never was bothered again.
Now, I happen to work at a place very close to the federal courthouse and every day during the trial when something important was happening, I'd walk out to several heliocopters buzzing overhead. It got to be a joke. As I left work I'd turn on the radio and hear buzzing overhead and on the radio.
There was no other outcome for Whitey than the guilty verdicts he got. I totally understand the jury taking it's time and coming back with some "not proved" verdicts. I think Steve Flemmi killed his own girlfriend Debra Davis.
Whitey will die in jail. Maybe even before his appeal. He's still an arragant piece of **** as evidenced by his behavior in court. He had the nerve to assume the $822,000 was still his when he offered it to the families. It was goingt hat way anyway.
Every night when I drive home, i drive past Steve "Stippo" Rakes liquor store, now owned by an Asian family.
Boston goes on. More drugs, more violent crimes, less Whitey.

Judge sentences 'Whitey' Bulger to two life terms for racketeering, murder charges

A judge in Boston has sentenced crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger to two life terms plus five years of imprisonment for 11 killings and other racketeering charges.

Judge Denise Casper said before the sentencing that that the depravity of his crimes is "almost unfathomable". She also called Bulger's crimes "heinous" and "all about money."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/11/1...-crimes-almost-unfathomable-ahead-sentencing/

http://www.kesq.com/news/Bulger-get...years/-/233092/22967786/-/ql2hnc/-/index.html
bbm.
""In '75 you stooped to an all-time low when you called my house and said, 'Your father is not coming home for Christmas,'" McGonagle said. He recalled that when he asked the caller who was on the phone, Bulger responded: "This is Santa Claus."

"My father was no Boy Scout," he said, "but he was a better man than you will ever be."

Theresa Bond, the daughter of Arthur "Bucky" Barrett, who went missing in 1983 after a dispute with Bulger, politely asked, "Mr. Bulger, could you please look at me?" He never looked up.

"I just want you to know that I don't hate you," she said. "I do hate the choices you made. ... I hate the choices our government has made that allowed you to rule streets."

Bond added, "Hours before (my father) was murdered, he was praying, from what I understood, to a picture of a little girl. ... That was me. ... You will be summoned to the highest judge. A lethal injection would be too easy of a punishment."

She addressed him one more time. "Mr. Bulger, do you have remorse for taking my father's life?"

Bulger did not look up.

"I think you do," she said. "I forgive you.
"

IMO, The" insult arrows" aimed at WB will fall by the wayside, but this last shot will find his heart and be a slow painful sting .

Damn. That phone call saying he was Santa Claus. What a ba$tard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/02/03/boston-mobsters-longtime-love-pleads-guilty-to-contempt

Catherine Greig
1297801331031_ORIGINAL.jpg
BOSTON -- The woman who spent 16 years on the run with Boston mobster James "Whitey" Bulger has pleaded guilty to a criminal contempt charge for refusing to testify before a grand jury investigating whether other people helped Bulger as a fugitive.

Sixty-four-year-old Catherine Greig pleaded guilty Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Boston.

She is scheduled to be sentenced April 28.

Judge Denise Casper signed an order Monday that authorizes the U.S. Marshals Service to hold a three-day auction of items, including a gold and diamond Claddagh ring, a replica of a 1986 Stanley Cup championship ring, electronics and other items found in Bulger's apartment when he and his longtime girlfriend, Catherine Greig, were captured in Santa Monica, California, in 2011. Some of Greig's belongings will also be sold at the auction.

(...)

Proceeds from the auction, as well as $822,000 in cash found in Bulger's Santa Monica apartment, will be divided among the families of some of Bulger's victims.

The public auction is scheduled to be held June 24-26 at the Boston Convention and Exhibition Center. The items will also be available for bidding through a simultaneous online auction.

(...)

"Although the proceeds we obtain will never be enough to make up for the harm the victims and their families have suffered, it is our hope that this process and the restitution we will be able to distribute as a result of the auction will give some relief to the victims and families in this case." Ortiz said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/judge-oks-sale-of-james-whitey-bulger-items-proceeds-to-go-to-victims/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35
Back