MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #10

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
In the link you provided there is no mention of flipping over his head as KerR wraps JOK's head. KerR does testify that he was on his back. Anyway, here is KerR's testimony according to Boston.com:

Additionally, iirc, no cross by defense.

Kerry Roberts testified that she awoke at 5 a.m. on Jan. 29, 2022, to a brief phone call from Karen Read, who was screaming frantically into the phone.

“John’s dead,” she remembered Read yelling. Roberts said Read also called out “Kerry, Kerry, Kerry” before hanging up the phone.

Roberts had known John O’Keefe, Read’s boyfriend of two years, since high school and considered him one of her closest friends. When she finally got Read back on the phone, she learned that O’Keefe hadn’t come home the night before.

“I’m afraid John might be dead. He might have gotten hit by a plow,” Roberts said Read told her.

“I said, ‘OK, where are you now?’ And she said, ‘I’m driving. Can I come to your house? Will you drive my car? I don’t remember anything from last night. We drank so much, I don’t remember anything,’” Roberts recalled.

She said she directed Read to return to O’Keefe’s house and stay with his niece, who was home alone.

“I said, ‘You’re going to get a DUI. You were drinking all night last night, and you don’t remember anything. You shouldn’t be driving,’” Roberts said.

She testified that she called the Canton Police Department and Good Samaritan Medical Center to see whether O’Keefe had been in an accident. When she spoke with Read again, she said she learned Read had gone over to Jennifer McCabe’s home.

Roberts testified that she met up with Read and McCabe at O’Keefe’s house, but O’Keefe wasn’t there. As they set out to search for him, Roberts said Read “really wanted to go” to 34 Fairview Road, where McCabe’s sister and brother-in-law lived and where Read had dropped O’Keefe off the night before.

Roberts also testified that she noticed a piece missing from one of the taillights on Read’s SUV.

On the drive over to Fairview Road, “There was some conversation about a woman I didn’t know that was ‘Bella’s mom,’” Roberts recalled. “And she (Read) said, ‘Bella’s mom never liked me.’ I think Bella lived near Jen’s sister, maybe.”

McCabe previously testified that when O’Keefe called to ask for directions to 34 Fairview Road hours before, she told him the house was near “Bella’s street,” referring to a child who was friendly with O’Keefe’s niece. O’Keefe had dated Bella’s mother years before, McCabe said.

As the three women drove over to Fairview Road later that morning, McCabe mentioned that Fairview Road was near Spring Lane.

“And I said, ‘Oh, where the dance instructor lived.’ John had once dated a dance instructor,” Roberts explained. “And then Karen said, ‘Do you think he could have gone there? Do you think that’s where he could have been?’”

As they approached 34 Fairview Road, “All of a sudden Karen said, ‘There he is! There he is! Let me the F out of this car.’ And she started kicking the door,” Roberts recalled.

She said she didn’t see anything at the time, but she unlocked the door and watched as Read ran over to “a mound of snow.”

“At some point, I realized it was the shape of a body,” she added.

Roberts teared up as Assistant District Attorney Adam Lally played police dashcam footage from the scene. Choking back a sob, she recalled the moment she realized there was a person buried in the snow. When she ran over and cleared snow from the man’s face, she said she recognized O’Keefe, her longtime friend.

“He had blood coming out of his nose and his mouth, and his right eye — it looked like a golf ball,” Roberts said, adding that O’Keefe was also bleeding from a cut on the back of his head.

Roberts started CPR while McCabe dialed 911 and Read attempted mouth-to-mouth resuscitation. She said Read repeatedly asked, “Did I hit him?” and “Is he dead?” Roberts also testified that as first responders carted O’Keefe away, she saw grass on the ground where his body had been.

Later on, Read and McCabe were warming up in the back of a police cruiser as Roberts stood outside, she recalled.

‘You’re going to get a DUI,’ Kerry Roberts says she warned Karen Read before search
updated on May 22, 2024
Thank you for sharing this. I came to the case late so I missed this earlier. At first blush, this seems extremely problematic for KR. All the pieces seem to fit. She was black out drunk. (Been there when I was super young, don't remember driving home, etc...but by the grace of God I never harmed anyone or myself or got a DUI..no idea how...) So I kind of get her hysteria.

Stream of consciousness....did he get hit by a snowplow? Why isn't he answering? Is he with another woman. OMG...could I have hit him??? I am a bit concerned that KR mentioned in her Dateline interview that she did not feel she had been overserved and only had 4 drinks, when we know that is not the case.

But there are several things that take this nicely nit scenario and pull it apart at the seams. Why all the weird butt dials, destroyed phones, inverted videos, rush to judgment, no secured crime scene, no real pics of the crime scene, no entering the home, homeowner not coming outside, the whole Trooper Proctor debacle, rehoming the dog, redoing the basement floor, selling the house, plus the fact that I do not see her car hitting him in such a way as to cause the injuries he did have and not cause the injuries he did NOT have. Plus, I just feel so strongly that those marks on his arm are dog bites.

Could she have hit him and killed him? I don't know for sure. I feel there is a mountain of reasonable doubt in this case, and if they had just done a better investigation, we might have a better view of the truth. But alas, they did not. If she did hit him, I would say this is an absolute freak accident, because nothing about his injuries match up to what they are saying happened, IMO. But I do think that even if that were the case, at most, it was an accident, so perhaps reckless homicide, at the most.

Now, I am going to say something a little controversial. I feel that when people decide to get into a car with a drunk driver, they share at least some of the responsibility. Not all, of course. But there were MANY people drinking and driving that evening and not ONE of them seemed to care, including JOK. This seemed to be a pattern. He has 2 kids who lost their parents and they are depending upon him simply being alive till they are adults. But his own carelessness was a contributing factor in his own demise. I get it. People like to go out and drink. I do too. But it is 2024 and there is absolutely NO reason not to call an Uber, a cab, or at least someone who has not been drinking. You can go get your care in the morning.

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>
Having a fed leo id, he might be able to enter as simply as a mil member but it's super sus to go out of your way to fed jurisdiction to dump a cell phone after you get word there's a subpoena or warrant for it. The subpoena was cancelled but Higgins didn't know that when he destroyed evidence.

Even if he has an ID, you can not ‘cut through’ a secure military zone. It is very deliberate to go there.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it would be crazy to have Karen testify as awful as Lally has been and as awful as the troopers were there’s absolutely no need, personally I don’t even think the defense even has to call a single witness at this point.

We will see what happens but with the federal investigation into the state troopers I have a feeling we will be hearing about some of these troopers for a while

Should Karen testify? Does the defense have anything to gain from it?
I don't see any reason why the defense would recommend she testify.

Let her defense team do their job. If she does decide to testify it will allow the prosecution to ask her questions that will not end in her favor.

JMO.

Thank you for sharing this. I came to the case late so I missed this earlier. At first blush, this seems extremely problematic for KR. All the pieces seem to fit. She was black out drunk. (Been there when I was super young, don't remember driving home, etc...but by the grace of God I never harmed anyone or myself or got a DUI..no idea how...) So I kind of get her hysteria.

Stream of consciousness....did he get hit by a snowplow? Why isn't he answering? Is he with another woman. OMG...could I have hit him??? I am a bit concerned that KR mentioned in her Dateline interview that she did not feel she had been overserved and only had 4 drinks, when we know that is not the case.

But there are several things that take this nicely nit scenario and pull it apart at the seams. Why all the weird butt dials, destroyed phones, inverted videos, rush to judgment, no secured crime scene, no real pics of the crime scene, no entering the home, homeowner not coming outside, the whole Trooper Proctor debacle, rehoming the dog, redoing the basement floor, selling the house, plus the fact that I do not see her car hitting him in such a way as to cause the injuries he did have and not cause the injuries he did NOT have. Plus, I just feel so strongly that those marks on his arm are dog bites.

Could she have hit him and killed him? I don't know for sure. I feel there is a mountain of reasonable doubt in this case, and if they had just done a better investigation, we might have a better view of the truth. But alas, they did not. If she did hit him, I would say this is an absolute freak accident, because nothing about his injuries match up to what they are saying happened, IMO. But I do think that even if that were the case, at most, it was an accident, so perhaps reckless homicide, at the most.

Now, I am going to say something a little controversial. I feel that when people decide to get into a car with a drunk driver, they share at least some of the responsibility. Not all, of course. But there were MANY people drinking and driving that evening and not ONE of them seemed to care, including JOK. This seemed to be a pattern. He has 2 kids who lost their parents and they are depending upon him simply being alive till they are adults. But his own carelessness was a contributing factor in his own demise. I get it. People like to go out and drink. I do too. But it is 2024 and there is absolutely NO reason not to call an Uber, a cab, or at least someone who has not been drinking. You can go get your care in the morning.
I really liked your well thought out post.

That’s is what is so intriguing about this case, it is a who done it?

Either scenario is a possibility- The fight or the gf? However, thanks to a shoddy investigation the truth will not be fully told.

I don't believe the high school kid had anything to do with it, only because I felt that was a reach. CA doing what most high school punks will do. Pick a fight, mouthy, and act tougher than the next guy. Yet, defense thought they had some kind of goldmine with the video. When you don't have a lot blame it on a kid — it’s a reach.

I’m not 100% KR hit him. It’s apparent she did, but you can’t convict someone on that. I wouldn't.

The investigation made sure to muddy this crime.

I dont believe this should have gone to trial, but it did. It is up to the jury.

I haven’t seen any real solid evidence to convict KR. There's been too much reasonable doubt presented.

So sorry for John O’Keefe’s loved ones. His poor mother sits there every day at trial hearing about the demise of her son probably (moo) knowing it's a waste of time. There is no justice, because of shoddy police work. There’s no truth. I don't believe in a conspiracy, regarding this case - - just that the investigation was poorly handled. We shall see.

All the above is moo

Regardless, as you have been on base, you know it is impossible to cut through the base.Havinf a guest is a procedure in itself.
I have to tell you that this doesn’t read true. My husband is non military and he goes golfing at one of the biggest bases on the east coast. Yes you have to have a member so to speak, but I could go too if I wished . Higgins s was retired with ID, he has access.

I will have to dig back. Give me some time and I will find it.

This link contains the text chain. I interpret it as involving McCabes

I mean, who among us hasn't cut through a military base to dispose of our SIM card and phone, then switch phone providers and get a new phone number

I believe there are locals here who can elaborate, but if I have it right, not all fifteen towns/townships (villages) on the Cape offer public or permit private curbside pick-up but all have transfer stations where, for a fee and so long as your vehicle is equipped with a valid sticker for that station, you can drop off rubbish up to a certain weight, excluding certain items, etc. I believe two such stations are technically located within or on the perimeter of Joint Base. Can anybody correct me if I’ve got that wrong? imo moo

Isn't it KR's decision (her right) to decide whether to testify or not to testify -- it's smoke & mirrors? She doesn't actually need to testify. moo

Read was also asked if she's thought about what it would feel like to be on the witness stand herself.

"I have. I'd like to fill in some holes and correct some lies, but it's up to the attorneys and they'll make the call probably at the 11th hour and I'm there or not there ... I defer to them," she said.

I have to tell you that this doesn’t read true. My husband is non military and he goes golfing at one of the biggest bases on the east coast. Yes you have to have a member so to speak, but I could go too if I wished . Higgins s was retired with ID, he has access.
I have visited bases several times, and from my experience you do not ‘cut through’. The base is a secure zone, you don’t cut through to get from place A to B

Dbm

I haven't seen any wrongdoing by the court in this case so the defendant has not been treated unfairly in my opinion.

Plus we haven't even seen one minute of the defense case yet. JMO.
It's so crazy how it feels like the prosecution has utterly lost and the defense hasn't even put their people on yet.

I have to keep reminding myself that it isn't over yet. I'm aware of plenty of cases where people were convicted on shockingly little evidence. Until we actually have a Not Guilty verdict, nobody is safe.

At the end of the day, his injuries have to match the commonwealth theory, which it doesn't. The ME said he was immediately incapacitated (according to the ME report). According to T.Paul, he was hit on his arm and shoulder, no bodily injuries yet managed to land 30 ft away on grass with glass around him and his phone underneath him. Not even considering the black eyes and gash on his back of head. Basic physics deems that to be impossible. He was not hit by a car.with those injuries.

It really is that simple. No respecting reconstructionist will risk their reputation to say otherwise.

I would love to see Lally explain all injuries and how they could possibly occur with his theory.

I really liked your well thought out post.

That’s is what is so intriguing about this case, it is a who done it?

Either scenario is a possibility- The fight or the gf? However, thanks to a shoddy investigation the truth will not be fully told.

I don't believe the high school kid had anything to do with it, only because I felt that was a reach. CA doing what most high school punks will do. Pick a fight, mouthy, and act tougher than the next guy. Yet, defense thought they had some kind of goldmine with the video. When you don't have a lot blame it on a kid — it’s a reach.

I’m not 100% KR hit him. It’s apparent she did, but you can’t convict someone on that. I wouldn't.

The investigation made sure to muddy this crime.

I dont believe this should have gone to trial, but it did. It is up to the jury.

I haven’t seen any real solid evidence to convict KR. There's been too much reasonable doubt presented.

So sorry for John O’Keefe’s loved ones. His poor mother sits there every day at trial hearing about the demise of her son probably (moo) knowing it's a waste of time. There is no justice, because of shoddy police work. There’s no truth. I don't believe in a conspiracy, regarding this case - - just that the investigation was poorly handled. We shall see.

All the above is moo
I have mixed feelings about the alleged conspiracy. On one hand, it does feel really odd that all these people would decide to murder John without any clear motive. At face value, the theory does seem far fetched.

On the other hand, what about all of those butt dials? It sure seems like there was some conspiring going on. And in terms of demeanor, every person who was there acts like they’re trying to hide something. That's just how it feels.

I haven't seen any wrongdoing by the court in this case so the defendant has not been treated unfairly in my opinion.

Plus we haven't even seen one minute of the defense case yet. JMO.
Do you think it was fair when her private medical information was shared with a bunch of ill behaved dudes, just for laughs?

my predicition isn't rare and i suspect some might agree; however, moo I do not think KR will testify nor do I believe it is wise for her to testify despite my own personal opinions on her involvement (to which I'll say I think she was not involved in the murder of JOK). if it were me, i'd save the correcting lies bit to post-trial fanfare because... let's face it, there will be a ton. no need to rock the boat unnecessarily.

That’s how justice and due process work in this country, correct? If the process is tainted, the defendant should be acquitted. Blackstone’s ratio, and all. The system needs to be fair for everyone equally, otherwise there is no trust. You don’t get to massage the evidence because you’re sure of something. State police are not jury or judge.

For me, this was a road accident, unintentional and apparently not witnessed in all of Lally’s snow. Probably by KR, maybe by one of the many drunken drivers on scene. This is what happens when you bully, bluster, and overcharge; this circus and all its monkeys belong to the CW. We are all the worse off for it.
You cut out that I found it's an interesting view point to me.

I didn't say that I disagreed with it or it's a wrong view point.

If this particular trial process is tainted then the appellate courts are there to remedy that. Although I don't see a conviction in this case that would make an appeal a reality.

JMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members