MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bishop Black

Former Member
Reaction score

Karen Read has been charged with second-degree murder, motor vehicle manslaughter and leaving the scene of a collision in the January 2022 death of her off-duty Boston Police Officer boyfriend John O'Keefe outside a Canton, Mass., home.

She's pleaded not guilty to the charges.

Leading up to his death, the couple of two years reportedly spent the night drinking and bar hopping with friends before Read, 43, dropped O'Keefe, 46, off at the home of a fellow off-duty police officer for an after-party, PEOPLE previously reported.

Prosecutors say as O'Keefe exited the vehicle, Read allegedly proceeded to make a three-point turn during a winter storm, striking her boyfriend in the process before driving off.

After O'Keefe failed to return home hours later, Read allegedly went looking for him, before finding his body in a snowbank outside the home where she allegedly left him.

Karen-Read-and-John-OKeefe-8c0b529e6823492aaf409a1c96c15ccc.jpg

john-okeefe-police-officer-dd6a844c30fa4341b2dba22774525391.jpg

Thread #1Thread #2 Thread #3Thread #4 Thread #5 Thread #6 Thread #7 Thread #8 Thread #9 Thread #10 Thread #11

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the most bizarre things is Jen texting and calling John when Karen and her car were already back at 1 Meadows Ave. Using the Nagle testimony about texting his sister in the house and John's phone, Karen and John arrived at 34 Fairview about 12:23. The people in the Nagle vehicle see Karen alone in the car and don't see John on the lawn. Read auto-connected to John's home Wi-Fi at 12:36. The route from 34 Fairview to John's is seven minutes in normal conditions. Using seven minutes, this means Karen had to have left 34 Fairview by 12:29, if not a couple of minutes earlier if her phone didn't connect until she was inside the home or she drove slower due to conditions or not being familiar with the roads.

Instead of videos they could or should have had access to along Karen's route home, the CW's entire timeline here is built around the Jen McCabe sightings of Karen's vehicle outside. McCabe testified she had a clear view of Karen's vehicle up until 12:45.

Here are her texts to JO:
  • 12:31 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O”Keefe: “Pull behind me”
  • 12:40 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Hello”
  • 12:42 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Where are u”
  • 12:45 a.m. Jennifer McCabe texts O’Keefe: “Hello”

Jen also called John's phone seven times between 12:30 and 12:50. So from 12:30 to 12:50 am, a combined total of 11 calls and texts to John from Jen. But Karen must have been gone from the premises before any of these 11 contact attempts were made.

Jen would have us believe that at least until 12:45 she's looking out the window at Karen's vehicle, apparently very anxiously waiting for John to alight and join the beer and Claw party inside. She doesn't see a body on the lawn but she does see a Lexus that can't be there.

Read auto-connected to John's home Wi-Fi at 12:36. The route from 34 Fairview to John's is seven minutes in normal conditions. Using seven minutes, this means Karen had to have left 34 Fairview by 12:29, if not a couple of minutes earlier if her phone didn't connect until she was inside the home or she drove slower due to conditions or not being familiar with the roads.

The WiFi time was verified to be correct wasn't it?
I'm assuming yes because if I recall correctly, in one of the many voicemails KR left on JOK's phone, it can be heard that the garage door is closing just as she reached JOK's home.

Edit - pretty sure the voicemail was 12:37am

I'm assuming yes because if I recall correctly, in one of the many voicemails KR left on JOK's phone, it can be heard that the garage door is closing just as she reached JOK's home.

Yes, Karen left a voice mail for John at 12:37. The first one she sent.

My understanding is the 12:36 arrival time as clocked by wifi is not in dispute. Or at least not currently challenged by the CW. It fits with the sounds of her walking and shutting the garage door, so I'm not sure how they'd contest it.

One of the most bizarre things is Jen texting and calling John when Karen and her car were already back at 1 Meadows Ave. Using the Nagle testimony about texting his sister in the house and John's phone, Karen and John arrived at 34 Fairview about 12:23. The people in the Nagle vehicle see Karen alone in the car and don't see John on the lawn. Read auto-connected to John's home Wi-Fi at 12:36. The route from 34 Fairview to John's is seven minutes in normal conditions. Using seven minutes, this means Karen had to have left 34 Fairview by 12:29, if not a couple of minutes earlier if her phone didn't connect until she was inside the home or she drove slower due to conditions or not being familiar with the roads.

Instead of videos they could or should have had access to along Karen's route home, the CW's entire timeline here is built around the Jen McCabe sightings of Karen's vehicle outside. McCabe testified she had a clear view of Karen's vehicle up until 12:45.

Jen also called John's phone seven times between 12:30 and 12:50. So from 12:30 to 12:50 am, a combined total of 11 calls and texts to John from Jen. But Karen must have been gone from the premises before any of these 11 contact attempts were made.

Jen would have us believe that at least until 12:45 she's looking out the window at Karen's vehicle, apparently very anxiously waiting for John to alight and join the beer and Claw party inside. She doesn't see a body on the lawn but she does see a Lexus that can't be there.
Thanks for the break down of those texts and calls. Good info to see laid out! Yes,now that we know the lexus wasn't even there it makes her texts and the calls (which she claimed were butt dials lol) seem extremely odd and weird and suspect. Jmo

So on this whole time line thing. I'm findng it bizarre that Lally has been so incompetent to have either forgotten or not known that his cell phone trooper witness would reveal the time KR's phone connected with Meadows home wifi. It looks bad, very bad, for the cw's contended timeline and it also suggests (at least to me) that Lally selected 12.45am as approx time of impact to fit the cw's theory rather than the actual evidence. And ofcourse it makes the relevant testimony he elicited from JMc, which she so obnoxiously defended under cross, totally uncredible.

My personal theory on why he stuffed up so badly is that he was so keen to play KR's voicemails for that time period to the jury that in his excitement he overlooked or failed to register that his witness would make a note of where the phone actually was when they were sent.

ebm spelling

Last edited:
Yes, Karen left a voice mail for John at 12:37. The first one she sent.

My understanding is the 12:36 arrival time as clocked by wifi is not in dispute. Or at least not currently challenged by the CW. It fits with the sounds of her walking and shutting the garage door, so I'm not sure how they'd contest it.

Transcript of the voicemails (below).
For reference, the recorded messages were played in court on Day 28 - started around timestamp 45:31 in this video.

uhcvm14ght7d1.jpeg

That fits. She probably auto connected with the wifi as she pulled up or approached the house. 12.36 is the time testified to. moo

Transcript of the voicemails (below).
For reference, the recorded messages were played in court on Day 28 - started around timestamp 45:31 in this video.

uhcvm14ght7d1.jpeg

I don't even understand what the commonwealth was trying to do by playing these. Not only did it blow their timeline out of the water, Karen's angry messages pretty much established that she had no idea that she hit him. There goes intent and the second degree murder charge.

Lally could have at least tried to elicit some testimony that she was play-acting here because she knew the cops would listen to the VMs. (That's not believable for so many reasons, but at least they could try and argue it.) But without even that suggestion, what does Lally expect jurors to think of these calls? Is he just hoping that just hearing Karen call John names will enrage them enough to vote guilty even though the recordings are actually exculpatory?

One of the most bizarre things is Jen texting and calling John when Karen and her car were already back at 1 Meadows Ave.

I am really puzzled by these texts and calls.
I would have thought that Jen McCabe was under the impression JOK and KR might drop in there, might not. So why was she so invested?

Since we're pretty sure that the pair arrived at 34 Fairview at 12:23am, and KR drove away without John circa 12:29am. What is going on in those minutes. Is Jen McCabe looking at someone else's SUV outside? Because it can't be the Lexus.

I don't even understand what the commonwealth was trying to do by playing these. Not only did it blow their timeline out of the water, Karen's angry messages pretty much established that she had no idea that she hit him. There goes intent and the second degree murder charge.
Yeah, the Defence could have simply rested without even introducing their own witnesses.
CW's witnesses did all the hard work for them.

My interpretation of the voicemail messages is that KR is super upset with JOK for going into the party, and not even bothering to text to let her know if she's welcome or not. So she drives back to JOK's place, looks after the kids and she's trying to trick him into coming home by saying she's going (to her own) home.

I can't imagine any scenario that she would be leaving those voicemails if she had any idea that she'd run him over.

Edit - if she'd stayed in bed instead of going out looking for him at 6am, she wouldn't be in this mess.

Last edited:

Lally could have at least tried to elicit some testimony that she was play-acting here because she knew the cops would listen to the VMs. (That's not believable for so many reasons, but at least they could try and argue it.) But without even that suggestion, what does Lally expect jurors to think of these calls? Is he just hoping that just hearing Karen call John names will enrage them enough to vote guilty even though the recordings are actually exculpatory?
RBBM Yeah, re the bolded that's my best guess as to why he played them: hoping to evoke dislike and prejudice against KR and distract from the actual lack of evidence jmo. But it was foolish because although it's possible he momentarily achieved that with some jurors, the voice mails absolutely show no consciousness of guilt and the jury will be instructed by the judge (well let's hope so) to consider the evidence rather than their own emotional reactions to the evidence. Anyway imo poor tactics by the cw in playing those voice mails. moo

I would have thought that Jen McCabe was under the impression JOK and KR might drop in there, might not. So why was she so invested?

Since we're pretty sure that the pair arrived at 34 Fairview at 12:23am, and KR drove away without John circa 12:29am. What is going on in those minutes. Is Jen McCabe looking at someone else's SUV outside? Because it can't be the Lexus.
Imo she was being 'helpful' to the cw by fitting in with their theory (per opening statement) or vice versa (CW chose 12.45 based on JMc's expected testimony). She was prepped imo, She said it was KR's lexus not another suv In a nutshell she lied, Jmo

Do you think she possibly lied?

I just remembered one of the funniest things from Lally's cross yesterday was when he tried to impeach Dr. Russell by questioning the length of her Boston Globe subscription. Whether it was 6 months or 12 months or 18 months. As if anyone on the jury would care about that. And the kicker was that he wasn't even correct!

That along with giving Lucky a My Cousin Vinny moment by asking him about the taillights of a Jeep Cherokee only to get completely owned.

Imo she was being 'helpful' to the cw by fitting in with their theory (per opening statement) or vice versa (CW chose 12.45 based on JMc's expected testimony). She was prepped imo, She said it was KR's lexus not another suv In a nutshell she lied, Jmo
Ok, so she's lied about seeing the Lexus out there.
But why was she sending all these texts and calling?

12:30am to 12:50am - Seven voice calls

I just remembered one of the funniest things from Lally's cross yesterday was when he tried to impeach Dr. Russell by questioning the length of her Boston Globe subscription. Whether it was 6 months or 12 months or 18 months. As if anyone on the jury would care about that. And the kicker was that he wasn't even correct!

That along with giving Lucky a My Cousin Vinny moment by asking him about the taillights of a Jeep Cherokee only to get completely owned.
It was a great first day for the defense just on his behaviour alone!

Post in thread 'MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #11' MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #11

Prosecution stated JO died at 12:45am.

Jennifer McCabe testified that KR was still at the Albert house at 12:45.am.

She admitted to texting and getting up 5 times and looking out the window. She said she saw it move twice. She said she had a good, clear view of Karen’s vehicle outside.

Karen was at home at 12:36am

Ok, so she's lied about seeing the Lexus out there.
But why was she sending all these texts and calling?

12:30am to 12:50am - Seven voice calls
She was inthe process of building a fake storyline. In other words attempting to change the narrative.

And remember he managed to have the jury informed that Dr Russell was a little behind the times re downloading from drop box. That was a shocker and convinced me Dr Russell was not an expert in dog bites for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Patturelli