MA MA - Simone Ridinger, 17, Sherborn, 2 Sept 1977

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
IMO they look similar enough that it would be worth reporting to the LE (and I forget who this is) who are going through Alcala's photographs trying to put names to each girl. I'm not sure the noses are the same but I'm also not sure they're not, so it might be worth letting them know to at least try to rule this out.
So I was thinking the same, but wasn't sure if it was inappropriate for me to contact LE myself without some kind of approval from Simone's family or loved ones (to the extent that that's possible)... But now that I'm seeing how many other people have made the same connection, I'll reach out to them and ask if Simone has already been excluded!

I'll send them an email now and update this if I receive a response.

I have started a thread for Judith

I wish we had access to the report LE took from the elderly man that came forward. He described Simone, in detail, from her duffel bag, to her jewelry, the way she smelled, even her "grubby" shoes. So you would think he gave a detailed description of the cop and his cruiser too, right ? If he is telling the truth, then where was Simone from about 3pm when she left work and supposedly started hitchiking to 6AM when she was seen in the back of the cop car by the elderly man?

saw the Boston.com article, today. if we believe the man's story and that it was SR he drove...

where was she between 3pm Fri. and whenever she started hitchhiking early Sat. morning?

wherever she was, she was either alone or with someone. if she was with someone, you'd think it would be someone who would eventually be concerned about her disappearance and come forward to fill in details about that gap in time. i do think the lack of this information is curious.

does it make sense she'd be anywhere else alone, except her apartment?

having said that... the man's story has her safe and sound being dropped off at the Hyannis airport rotary ~8:30am (if a more precise time was previously mentioned, i missed it). looking at a map - that's a 1 mile walk to the Hyannis ferry.

i don't know if anyone has found a Hyannis ferry schedule/routes from 1977 - while Hyannis wouldn't have been the most efficient path to MV - it was on the way of the man to Osterville and it was the option SR had (beggars can't be choosers).

maybe she would've got a bite to eat or a drink - but, unless she gets lost or grabbed on that walk from the rotary to the ferry - I think she's there before 11:00am.

could she have actually made it to MV and some foul play was covered up? maybe got on the wrong ferry and ended up in Nantucket? met someone who offered her a ride on their boat at the terminal?

from what I've read it doesn't seem like the police had much of anything, as far as leads go, until 1986.

i know some of these questions have come up a lot in here... just putting out my thoughts on first glance.

Last edited:
MSN

In 1986, a 79 yr old man told authorities that on the morning of Sep 3, he was driving to Barnstable and was pulled over by a State Trooper on Rt. 128. This was the day SR was seen leaving work.

The man said the trooper has a girl in his cruiser and asked if he could give her a ride to Cape Cod.

The man agreed, but said he dropped her off at a rotary in Hyannis, just off Rt. 28, police said.

His description of what SR was wearing matched what her coworkers saw her wearing that day. This info had not been made public before.

Investigators were not able to corroborate his story, according to a detective.

State Police have been unable to confirm traffic stop ever occurred, and the man who claimed to have given her a ride has died.

The amateur photographer has also died.

Another thing that is curious...

When SR went missing, it sounds like there was some degree of public visibility within a reasonable period of time. If a state trooper had picked her up hitchhiking and then passed her off to a driver heading towards the Cape... doesn't it seem likely that at some point that trooper would've realized he had her in his car (or at the very least, a girl that could've been her) and, even if not immediately, would've independently called this out?

I know missing notifications and the like are miles more sophisticated today than they would've been in 1977, but it still seems like the information would've made its way around through law enforcement.

Any thoughts on this?

IMO, if the elderly man's story is true, this cop may have been hesitant to come forward because he passed a minor over to a stranger for a ride. We don't know why Simone was even in this cop car...was she in the back seat or passenger seat? This man came forward several years later...maybe this cop is no longer with the force or deceased.
Also, the man said this happened in the early morning of Sept 3. If Simone started hitchhiking late afternoon of the 2nd, where was she for all these hours in between?

Once Simone got to the Cape, does anyone know how far of a walk it would hv been to her Mom's house?
It was a busy Labor Day weekend..with all the publicity of this case since 1977, I'm surprised no one, but the elderly man, has ever come forward to say they seen Simone.
I'm shocked no one interviewed her coworkers until AFTER the elderly man came forward..
What about her apartment, ever searched by LE ?

Once Simone got to the Cape, does anyone know how far of a walk it would hv been to her Mom's house?
It was a busy Labor Day weekend..with all the publicity of this case since 1977, I'm surprised no one, but the elderly man, has ever come forward to say they seen Simone.
I'm shocked no one interviewed her coworkers until AFTER the elderly man came forward..
What about her apartment, ever searched by LE ?
Her mom's place was on Chappaquiddick - once on the Vineyard it's another ferry ride from Edgartown.

The lack of ever telling that story to his son at all is odd - definitely something I think would've been shared at some point over the 9 years before he came in to Sherborn PD. Also, he never mentioned anything to his son about coming into Sherborn PD. Very unusual.
Was the son lying? The son might know more than he disclosed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Looneybinmadness
Back