Teena Kamal, Wife/54
Arianna Kamal, Daughter/18
Rakesh Kamal, Husband/57

Our Support to All Domestic Violence
Survivors and Victims.

Last edited:
CBS:

NBC:
Couple, teen daughter found dead in apparent domestic violence incident in Dover, Mass.
A couple and their teenage daughter were found dead at a home in Dover, Massachusetts, Thursday night, in what authorities believe is a case of domestic violence. The slain family members were identified as Teena Kamal, 54; Arianna Kamal, an 18-year-old Middlebury College student; and Rakesh...
www.nbcboston.com
www.nbcboston.com

Deceased:
Teena Kamal, Wife/54
Arianna Kamal, Daughter/18

Rakesh Kamal, Husband/57

9-8-8 = National Crisis Telephone Hotline
CBS = Columbia Broadcasting System
DA = District Attorney
DV = Domestic Violence
EMS = Emergency Medical Services
Foreclosure = Lender Repossesses Property
NBC = National Broadcasting System

Our Support to All Domestic Violence
Survivors and Victims.

Last edited:
<modsnip: quoted post was removed for not containing a source link>
The info about the registration of the firearm is in @Richrd's CBS News link:
From Norfolk County DA Michael Morrissey:
"I don't know who it was registered to at this time, that's part of the ongoing investigation. We will not tell you at this time where it was found, but it was found near the husband, I'll just leave it at that," Morrissey told reporters.

Last edited by a moderator:
The family was in deep financial trouble, though it seems only the father/husband knew how much and was hiding it from the wife, daughter, and other family members.

I found this interview that the later Mr. Kamal gave to a parenting blog in 2012. It was linked in the Boston Globe so I assume, it should be OK to link it here.

Something about the personality of Mr. Kamal becomes more clear on reading the interview.

Murder-suicide falls into domestic violence, but I strongly feel that Mr. Rakesh Kamal was slowly descending into grandiosity that led to financial crisis, and -JMO - because his nature was slightly exalted, no one noticed when it crossed the boundary of rationality.

I understand that buying a very expensive house and losing a job may be enough to cause a financial disaster, but I won't be surprised if he was overspending on a lot of other things. Sometimes when people are in this excited frame of mind, they can be taken advantage of by many others.

One question that we'll probably never know the answer to, is why Mr. Kamal was not licensed to carry a gun. Was it his personal view, or did something happen long time ago that rendered him ineligible to apply for a license?

While Mr. Kamal seems to have somewhat inflated his achievements, he still comes across as a very smart and highly capable man...before it went downhill.

And of course, one feels horribly sorry for a young daughter and her mother. Had Mr. Rakesh taken only own life, no doubt the relatives would have helped them out. RIP, and it is all very sad.

I don't think that the Kamals' lifestyle was prompted by the wish to keep up with the rest of Dover, I think the move to Dover that happened in 2019, a few months before Mr. Kamal lost his job, already hinted at certain problems with him.

Finally, one can't help but question the business ethics of the lenders. Is it that easy to conceal that you are financially ruined when you are negotiating the purchase of a 16-mln house, or are some lenders willing to prey on such situations? If you pay 5% as a down-payment and have 2-years' mortgage, what does it say about the financing company? It is not illegal, but is it ethical?

Someone has to ask these questions, because a woman and her young daughter were killed, and MOO, Mr. Kamal was not in a rational frame of mind at all. Sometimes it falls on the bystanders to notice things, because families are merely families.

The family was in deep financial trouble, though it seems only the father/husband knew how much and was hiding it from the wife, daughter, and other family members.

I found this interview that the later Mr. Kamal gave to a parenting blog in 2012. It was linked in the Boston Globe so I assume, it should be OK to link it here.

Something about the personality of Mr. Kamal becomes more clear on reading the interview.

Murder-suicide falls into domestic violence, but I strongly feel that Mr. Rakesh Kamal was slowly descending into grandiosity that led to financial crisis, and -JMO - because his nature was slightly exalted, no one noticed when it crossed the boundary of rationality.

I understand that buying a very expensive house and losing a job may be enough to cause a financial disaster, but I won't be surprised if he was overspending on a lot of other things. Sometimes when people are in this excited frame of mind, they can be taken advantage of by many others.

One question that we'll probably never know the answer to, is why Mr. Kamal was not licensed to carry a gun. Was it his personal view, or did something happen long time ago that rendered him ineligible to apply for a license?

While Mr. Kamal seems to have somewhat inflated his achievements, he still comes across as a very smart and highly capable man...before it went downhill.

And of course, one feels horribly sorry for a young daughter and her mother. Had Mr. Rakesh taken only own life, no doubt the relatives would have helped them out. RIP, and it is all very sad.

I don't think that the Kamals' lifestyle was prompted by the wish to keep up with the rest of Dover, I think the move to Dover that happened in 2019, a few months before Mr. Kamal lost his job, already hinted at certain problems with him.

Finally, one can't help but question the business ethics of the lenders. Is it that easy to conceal that you are financially ruined when you are negotiating the purchase of a 16-mln house, or are some lenders willing to prey on such situations? If you pay 5% as a down-payment and have 2-years' mortgage, what does it say about the financing company? It is not illegal, but is it ethical?

Someone has to ask these questions, because a woman and her young daughter were killed, and MOO, Mr. Kamal was not in a rational frame of mind at all. Sometimes it falls on the bystanders to notice things, because families are merely families.
<modsnip> I am also really baffled why he was trying to buy a 16 mln house when he clearly could not afford a 4 mln house. Hopefully, this will serve as a lesson to others.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip> I am also really baffled why he was trying to buy a 16 mln house when he clearly could not afford a 4 mln house. Hopefully, this will serve as a lesson to others.

MOO. Because he was not in the right frame of mind. Probably, expansive view of the world was his reality. In the blog I had linked, it is obvious he loves his daughter, but the stories about her birth are not realistic. Can a newborn baby look mom into the eyes and hold an eye contact with the mom, and then look at the dad, and hold eye contacts with the dad? No doubt Arianna was a gifted young lady, everyone says it, but all dad's stories are over the top. He probably viewed the whole world through this prism of shining lights, always did, but Ivy League schools are full of gifted, expansive, inspired scientists, maybe this is what it takes to move up in this world. Occasionally it gets over the top, and no one knows why. Poor sleep is one reason, or maybe it just happens.

And so, one day, a person comes home and thinks, I have this awesome wife, and this amazing gifted daughter, they deserve more than a five room house in Marblehead, they deserve a 21-room house in Dover! Of course, the inner control at that time is off, the impulsivity is through the roof, so what if I have only 5% for a down payment now, I shall work harder and pay it all off in 2 years!

Now, the man is not thinking rationally in this moment. But the seller ought to have refused to close the sale because they were lending him the money, not the bank. (I wonder if the bank refused to finance the deal.) As the businessman, you can see it is financial suicide. Yet you finance a vulnerable person because you are making money anyhow.

And then, perhaps Mr. R.K. is trying hard to meet his end of the deal. Makes some unreasonable decision at work, i think, probably also prompted by the need to increase his earnings, or simply because of his frame of mind, and is fired. He is horrified to tell his family that the property is a house of cards now, and instead, tries to meet the financial obligations, burning the candle from both ends. I am thinking, anxiety, sleepless nights, feeling cornered. JMO - in the end, he was not thinking rationally at all. So he dreams and pretends to buy a 16-mln-dollar house in Tennessee, while in reality the Dover house is foreclosed and his family doesn't know that in a month they will be thrown out onto the street. I can't imagine how can one take the lives of others, but it is not the mind of a rational man, probably horribly depressed man, that's it.

(Since having a gun, acquaintances state, was totally out of his philosophy, I am wondering, was Mr. Kamal a Jain?) But never mind - a person never had a license, never had a gun, got it easily, no surprise here, and probably totally morally exhausted, did the unthinkable.

So - the numbers vary, but over the last 20 years, the incidence of suicide has increased between 20 and 30%. So who should be hyperaware of the situation? The family, i suspect, had no yardstick to measure against. The Kamals were not very social, so, not neighbors. Mr. Kamal had relationships at work, but was fired. So, who?

Essentially, the people on the other end of his business transactions should have seen the problem with him. The issue is just ethical. The developers=sellers=financing the purchase organization (all the same) should be doing a lot of soul-searching now.

MOO - the newspapers should stop describing the opulence of the house, it is about the man who couldn't afford it. They should 100% stop emphasizing Mr. Kamal's roots, as he was born, raised and educated in the US and it is an American tragedy.

Last edited:
BTW, I found several YouTubes Mr. Kamal made about his education company. The idea was great, to teach kids organizational strategies. He even described some own techniques, how to calm down. Spoke about right food. But, I immediately saw why the company failed. Truth is, you have to be very charismatic, funny, joking to be able to transfer knowledge online. It is interesting that the company failed during Covid, when the need in remote learning was so great. Again, he probably was not a good fit for the role, and no one told him. It would be interesting to trace, one day, openly, what led to that horrible situation, and how it could have been prevented. Maybe it now falls on the wife's family, to trace it step by step, and explain it to others.

Oh, my, they were planning on buying an ultra-luxe, $16.5 million, McMansion in TN when they already had eviction hanging over them and he was jobless?

No doubt Arianna was a gifted young lady, everyone says it, but all dad's stories are over the top. He probably viewed the whole world through this prism of shining lights, always did, but Ivy League schools are full of gifted, expansive, inspired scientists, maybe this is what it takes to move up in this world.
Snipped for focus.

From my own professional familiarity in elite higher ed, these are my own opinion comments on status, since this seems to be a feature in this case...Just sayin', Middlebury is definitely NOT Ivy League, nor close, especially to the Harvard-Yale-Princeton-Columbia cluster, and students who go there have a whole different academic profile (Middlebury is a lot easier going and less day-by-day competitive). Throw in MIT and Stanford at the Ivy-level. Middlebury is probably to be described as "selective" in some fields (e.g. traditionally foreign language), with bright students, along with a whole bunch of other colleges, like Pomona, Williams, Amherst, Bowdoin, Haverford, Smith, Wellesley, Reed, Boston College, Colorado College, Carleton, each of which is a standout in certain fields (the Seven Sisters women's colleges are traditionally known for undergraduate STEM).

And my comments in the previous paragraph don't reflect talent, which is a whole different descriptor than aptitude or elitism. And I left out high-end universities like Duke, because they don't really matter for my point.

The several inaccuracies in both parents "about" on their business website (see "3 Takeaways" ^^^) all veer towards Ivy League attendance, so clearly it was important to the family to be Ivy-caliber. I even wonder if dad shifted from Fidelity to teaching Harvard's online biz courses specifically for this reason. Or why he chose his entrepreneurial line of business? It's pretty impossible to be a higher ed professional without an advanced degree, except maybe as an adjunct, so I find that curious. And he maybe could have just sat for an advanced degree if that's where he wanted to be?)

This whole case really puzzles me. I don't think I've seen anything quite like it in the extreme of "what you see is not what you get". I have personal difficulty understanding how that works, except maybe in the stack of 19th century novels I read in my twenties.

All of a sudden I thought of a comparator....That series, Downton Abbey, that went on for years... I never saw the series, but I happened to drive through the grounds of the "country house" (ha!) where they filmed it. In Yorkshire somewhere. Grandiose, and not what I'd call "attractive". The grounds had what looked like rings of walls around the house, with driving entrance through a sequence of archways, each in a different architectural style (e.g. Roman, baroque, Georgian, etc.). However, this was all smoke and mirrors, since the walls only extended to the nearest bushes, and then simply stopped. So, the goal was effect, and not reality. I was all LMAO driving through those impressive arches, once I noticed the walls were just for show.
Anyway, this MA case reminds me of that focus on appearance. Perhaps a home is one of the more obvious ways to get that look, and might be especially appealing if you feel you can't quite make it to the status which you aspire to (got lost in "to"s!!!) or don't feel you quite fit in culturally.
But this is speculation and fascination on my part, and yep, maybe reading too many 19th century novels.

FWIW I can't imagine being a young woman or child growing up in a home that big. I'd feel lost and isolated.

I guess I'm fascinated by the psychology of this case. I'm reading the blog article you cite, @Charlot123 . I keep wanting the dad to single out some of his quirks, flaws, or shortcomings and be more reflective. A++ at everything—including the childbirth which seem only to have involved 3 pushes and a perfect, non-crying, infant—makes for a very two-dimensional person. IMO For this reason, the interview also makes me think there was something problematic over a decade ago: it's frighteningly A++ conscious. Perhaps this is how we arrive at the crime.

It seems like Mr. Kamal was doing really well at Fidelity, likely well enough to afford the house they lived in. Interesting to me, that he quit and changed careers. Also, that he started a business that would have very low chance of success (too much competition IMO) and never would be lucrative.

So, he leaves Fidelity and signs on as an online teacher for Harvard Business School. The only reason I can think of that he'd do that is maybe he got dead-ended at Fidelity and wanted Harvard on his business cards. I don't believe this would be a significant position, though, and can't have paid a lot (he didn't have an advanced degree?). All the while buying a posh house.

I'm guessing he's trying to A++ his existence, and a Harvard association meets the bill, or so he thinks.

It's very possible at Fidelity, there were hotshots who breeze in with Bachelors from Ivy League universities. They get posh internships, piles of dough, rapid advancement, and highly-competitive "consultant" status. It's what happens. Perhaps this rankled. Perhaps Mr. Kamal's premise was that he could train-in Ivy League drive, flash, commitment, and confidence, and thus his choice of startup business, and VERY likely would rub Harvard colleagues the wrong way, precipitating his firing (see word-age in the blog ^^^). However....IMO this was never going to work, simply because there's no substitute for the real thing.

Why is there no substitute for the real thing? If you're in a room where an Ivy League degree matters (e.g. academics), you can't place unless you have an Ivy degree (it also matters which campus). That simple. And if you mistakenly assume you might, the Ivy Leaguers will very soon show rank and start name dropping their degrees. There's even a pecking order of Ivies. So, yeah, you can't join the club unless you have the degree.

When I was younger (ha!), I could walk into a room and I could tell who had upper-end Ivy League degrees. They don't present like other 20-30-somethings. And I had a student once who was a finalist for a Rhodes. The interviewing team met in the Governor's office. She had straight A's through college, perhaps the top score in every single class. But she came to me afterwards and said once there in the waiting room, she was totally an odd-body in terms of polish (true, but maybe not important) and how she handled herself, and worried that if she had gone to a more competitive campus, she, too, would have acquired the confidence and drive she saw (maybe true, and likely very important). I felt badly for her, because she felt like she'd wasted 4 years and not honed her potential.

What interests me, is why Mr. Kamal didn't just get an Ivy League degree? I wonder if he tried? I wonder if he didn't get in as an undergrad, and this started a spiral? Perhaps he had demanding parents?

Anyway, this is all speculation..

FWIW I'm not privileging an Ivy League educated person over someone with a college degree from elsewhere, I'm only reflecting on how this works in some professional arenas or youthful parties. Indeed, there are other professions, where the Ivy degree is best left buried in the personnel file in the HR department.

MOO - the newspapers should stop describing the opulence of the house, it is about the man who couldn't afford it. They should 100% stop emphasizing Mr. Kamal's roots, as he was born, raised and educated in the US and it is an American tragedy
Snipped for focus...

I'm not sure this is exactly true. He flew back to India for his marriage and his parents (in India) chose the bride.

BTW, I found several YouTubes Mr. Kamal made about his education company. The idea was great, to teach kids organizational strategies. He even described some own techniques, how to calm down. Spoke about right food. But, I immediately saw why the company failed.
Snipped for focus...

As I thought about this, the young people whose parents could afford Mr. Kamal's fees, likely were already doing a good job of nutrition and organization. And, these days, maybe even mindfulness.

I can't see a successful business model here.

Snipped for focus...

I'm not sure this is exactly true. He flew back to India for his marriage and his parents (in India) chose the bride.

And when would one expect it to happen? When a person for some reason can't find a date close by, at school, in college. Talk to young women who dump potential boyfriends with the future. "Nerdish", "boring", this is what you hear, nothing else.

About arranged marriages, I think it is a little bit more complex, and usually a man is introduced to several women. I noticed that Mr. Kamal said, that when he saw Teena, (*something about not wanting to see someone else, she was so beautiful*) . Arranged or not, I think he was in love. This is all JMO.

Last edited:
By the way, if you look at Teena, she did well. So one wonders if the problem, initially, was with him, and maybe Teena's family knew, or more likely, she was keeping it to herself. I think of these Indian brides, who, too, are brought into a different country, have to start anew, and perhaps, don't know what red flags to look for.

And when would one expect it to happen? When a person for some reason can't find a date close by, at school, in college. Talk to young women who dump potential boyfriends with the future. "Nerdish", "boring", this is what you hear, nothing else.

About arranged marriages, I think it is a little bit more complex, and usually a man is introduced to several women. I noticed that Mr. Kamal said, that when he saw Teena, (*something about not wanting to see someone else, she was so beautiful*) . Arranged or not, I think he was in love. This is all JMO.
I actually have many, many, South Asian friends in arranged marriages. Some are VERY successful, well matched, mutually supportive, and complementary... Some, I worry about.

It's not unusual for South Asians to go back home to South Asia to get married in an arranged marriage. Yep, a coupla weeks off work, quickie trip, and that's it! So, it didn't strike me that Mr. Kamal couldn't find a partner in the US, so he got an arranged one in India; for his culture, it sounds pretty normal to me. But it's for this reason, I think he was raised strongly in a South Asian family.

Rakesh and Teena do seem to have been quite well matched, as far as social engagement, perhaps ambition, and maybe managerial talents. And you're right, he likely was in his version of "being in love".

Many of Rakesh's comments in his blog interview I find very disturbing, because they're so cliché and superficial. Not to mention, in fantasyland somewhere. They sound like they came out of a badly-written romance formula novel. It struck me that he doesn't have an original thought or point of view. Emotionally vacant. Very scary man, IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuriousWhiskers
Back