MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #7 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't the FBI likely check her New York place out?

I would certainly think so. Thats prob how they assisted in the investigation.

I read a couple of psych artices on serial offenders. One thing it mentioned was they take their time to plot it out. Avg age at first offense is 27.5, so assuming its safe to say if this is a first offense the age range is prob 21-33.

their first offense is usually commited close to home, but that VM was attacked in mid day, it is kind of surprising.

I don't understand why so many are thinking this is a first offense or someone of younger age? Is there any way to show why that thinking is? Just curious.

I just don't see it that way with how this was done or how it has gone since with the investigation.

I think any spontaneity or sudden change in plans in this was due to her fighting, which has been verified by LE that she did.

And even with that part if seeming unorganized, the person was still able to do the fire without getting caught and remains free right now.

I don't understand why so many are thinking this is a first offense or someone of younger age? Is there any way to show why that thinking is? Just curious.

I just don't see it that way with how this was done or how it has gone since with the investigation.
I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I think he is young, is because his DNA isn't in the system, and I would think with a sick thinking guy like this the older he gets and the longer he gets away with it, the more chances he takes, meaning I would think if he is older, he would have had contact with LE a few times, by now.
Another reason is, there hasn't been any crimes like this area in the past, and I think this is his first kill, and he lives close by. As Cem has stated, Serial Killers start young.

I can't speak for everyone, but the reason I think he is young, is because his DNA isn't in the system, and I would think with a sick thinking guy like this the older he gets and the longer he gets away with it, the more chances he takes, meaning I would think if he is older, he would have had contact with LE a few times, by now.
Another reason is, there hasn't been any crimes like this area in the past, and I think this is his first kill, and he lives close by. As Cem has stated, Serial Killers start young.

I see. I guess I look at differently. I don't see a crime this serious being first time to be done in broad daylight. It points to me to someone who worked up in confidence with previous things. It also seems that a younger person would be possibly easier detected than someone who has had years of experience hiding behind what appears to be a more normal life. I don't think someone 'very' old, but just do not see this situation as someone young just starting out with this type of crime.

Actually , some of the worst known criminals who could do something this horrific were those who could go undetected for a long time.

I see. I guess I look at differently. I don't see a crime this serious being first time to be done in broad daylight. It points to me to someone who worked up in confidence with previous things. It also seems that a younger person would be possibly easier detected than someone who has had years of experience hiding behind what appears to be a more normal life. I don't think someone 'very' old, but just do not see this situation as someone young just starting out with this type of crime.

I do not disagree here - I am more thinking along the lines of trying to build a profile for suspect. I agree that it is inconsistent to say he is young/first kill while considering the fact it was done in broad daylight. I guess I would say perhaps he was indeed planning this methodically. And that it was done on a Sunday, I ask myself who has spare time during their Sunday? I just speculate its more likely a young adult living at home could pull this off. I just picture someone obsessing about the act in their parent's basement and finally carrying it out. But I admit it is not based on any fact pattern.

Perhaps the timing was planned around hours when a church service was underway, knowing there would be less traffic?

The day of the week (assuming lighting traffic is accurate), the LOCATION in that he had plenty of visibility both ways and time of the year does suggest someone familiar with the area.

I would also like to know if there was evidence suggesting this spot was frequented by the suspect prior to the murder? A place where he went given it was hidden and private?

Imho because it was daylight I think it was not planned. I think he would have planned someplace less risky if he had planned.He ambushed her out of overwhelming sick predatory desire ( she was his type)+opportunity ( a huntercoming across his fantasy all alone where no one could hear her)no one insight. Then used what he already had with him to destroy evidence.

You are welcome for the info on Bob Ward. Thanks for the link DeDee.
I forgot that having her DNA was mentioned as a definite in that news article. I think that was the only article that mentioned it specificly. Combined with the other happenings and the date of the article being only two months old, I am convinced they have it.
Maybe the facial profiling takes more time than a few months.
Did you read someplace that they never searched her apt. in NY?

Hi there DeDee!

Two things -

1. How do you know about her apt in NYC? Whereabouts in NYC did she live by the way, if you know? Just curious.

2. Also, I am a shark fiend. Your avatar is amazing. Where was this taken??

Thanks!

LE has not been to NYC as they told us that in the news conference when a female reporter asked the question. I do not know where she lived in NYC.

The avatar of the snow shark was constructed on a college campus by students in a fraternity. TY

I'm sure this has already been mentioned... but I can't shake the similarities between Vanessa and Karina. Both tan, brunette, beautiful, fit, regular runners and both around the same age 27 & 30 even though both look younger. Both strangled, dragged, raped and killed while going out for a run. Both found not too far from their running path.

Both murders took place only 3 - 3.5 hours away from each other AND back to back in August. Also, Vanessa was supposed to be headed back to NY where Karina was killed.

Are there any POIs that we know of?

It doesn't make sense that LE would not go to her place in NYC? They would usually investigate all they can about the victim's activities. Retrieve belongings, such as any communications she had there, computer, even a diary, (just examples)....anything that could give them information in their investigation.

I'm sure this has already been mentioned... but I can't shake the similarities between Vanessa and Karina. Both tan, brunette, beautiful, fit, regular runners and both around the same age 27 & 30 even though both look younger. Both strangled, dragged, raped and killed while going out for a run. Both found not too far from their running path.

Both murders took place only 3 - 3.5 hours away from each other AND back to back in August. Also, Vanessa was supposed to be headed back to NY where Karina was killed.

Are there any POIs that we know of?

I totally feel the same but no DNA match.

I totally feel the same but no DNA match.

I apologize for not being more familiar with the case, but what type of DNA wasn't a match? Skin under finger nails, sperm etc... ?

If this is premeditated... DNA can be planted especially if it's the same perp knowing people will see the similarities right off the bat.

I do not disagree here - I am more thinking along the lines of trying to build a profile for suspect. I agree that it is inconsistent to say he is young/first kill while considering the fact it was done in broad daylight. I guess I would say perhaps he was indeed planning this methodically. And that it was done on a Sunday, I ask myself who has spare time during their Sunday? I just speculate its more likely a young adult living at home could pull this off. I just picture someone obsessing about the act in their parent's basement and finally carrying it out. But I admit it is not based on any fact pattern.

Perhaps the timing was planned around hours when a church service was underway, knowing there would be less traffic?

The day of the week (assuming lighting traffic is accurate), the LOCATION in that he had plenty of visibility both ways and time of the year does suggest someone familiar with the area.

I would also like to know if there was evidence suggesting this spot was frequented by the suspect prior to the murder? A place where he went given it was hidden and private?
To me anyway, the fact that this happened in broad daylight, in a location that was secluded, but not like other parts of Princeton, tells me that she was the target,and this was planned.
He knew she was out during the daylight, and in that area.
If he was just out hunting, I think he would have not taken so many chances, and picked a woman in a more secluded area, at night.
The memorial I posted for that time, was held at a family farm. Think that most church services would be over by 1-3 pm? I think there are three churches in Princeton.

LE has not been to NYC as they told us that in the news conference when a female reporter asked the question. I do not know where she lived in NYC.

The avatar of the snow shark was constructed on a college campus by students in a fraternity. TY
LE did say they were working with LE from NYC.

To me anyway, the fact that this happened in broad daylight, in a location that was secluded, but not like other parts of Princeton, tells me that she was the target,and this was planned.
He knew she was out during the daylight, and in that area.
If he was just out hunting, I think he would have not taken so many chances, and picked a woman in a more secluded area, at night.
The memorial I posted for that time, was held at a family farm. Think that most church services would be over by 1-3 pm? I think there are three churches in Princeton.

I agree she was targeted and the location was ideal give clear sight lines going north and south. I also think it was too early for anything to be in season for hunting.

I will try to do some digging on church hrs - but I think you are right.

LE did say they were working with LE from NYC.

Rocky, may I request a link for that information? I don't pull ideas out of the sky.

Princeton LE may be in touch with NYC due to KVs murder but they clearly stated they had not been to NYC.

It doesn't make sense that LE would not go to her place in NYC? They would usually investigate all they can about the victim's activities. Retrieve belongings, such as any communications she had there, computer, even a diary, (just examples)....anything that could give them information in their investigation.

LE cannot enter her NYC apartment without a warrant nor take anything not specified by the warrant. I agree it seems strange that the Princeton PD has not been to NYC.

Rocky, may I request a link for that information? I don't pull ideas out of the sky.

Princeton LE may be in touch with NYC due to KVs murder but they clearly stated they had not been to NYC.
Here you go.
I pull lots of ideas out of the sky, but not facts.

I didn't say LE went to NY, I said "LE said they are working with LE from NYC."

http://nymag.com/thecut/2016/08/goo...ed-after-jog-princeton-ma-karina-vetrano.html

“We are comparing evidence, we are comparing notes; simply put … we don’t believe there is a connection. With that said we are going to continue to share notes and share evidence as both cases progress.”

Can I have your link please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member