UT - Mackenzie “Kenzie” Lueck, 23, Salt Lake City, 17 June, 2019 Media, Maps, Timeline NO DISCUSS

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
KUTV 2News on Twitter
#UPDATE @slcpd Chief Brown says #MacKenzieLueck body was found in Logan Canyon.
12:10 PM - 5 Jul 2019

Kelli Pierce on Twitter
Kelli Pierce‏ @KelliReports 1m1 minute ago
Police say they have recovered #MacKenzieLueck body from Logan Canyon on Wednesday and have confirmed it's her.

Tiffany Justice on Twitter
Tiffany Justice‏ @KUTVTiffany 39s39 seconds ago
Police located the body of #MacKenzieLueck from Logan Canyon. Body found on Wed.

DNews Crime Team on Twitter
"In the wake of this tragic, tragic incident, I am relieved and grief stricken to report that we have recovered Mackenzie Lueck," Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown says during a media briefing. Police found her body on Wednesday. #mackenzielueck
12:11 PM - 5 Jul 2019

KSL 5 TV on Twitter
SLC Mayor Jackie Biskupski: "It's a scenario you can't even imagine happening in your life." She says she hopes today's news can bring an additional level of closure to family, community. #mackenzielueck
12:12 PM - 5 Jul 2019

Tiffany Justice on Twitter
I hope the information today brings additional closure to #MacKenzieLueck's family, says, Biskupski.
12:13 PM - 5 Jul 2019

KSL Newsradio on Twitter
"I believe this case shows how seriously we take crime in this city. I and this city are here for the Lueck family as they continue to go through the greaving process... Please know we are here for you." @slcmayor about the #MackenzieLueck case.
12:14 PM - 5 Jul 2019

Kelli Pierce on Twitter
DA Sim Gill extends his condolences to #MacKenzieLueck family, but it is still an open investigation. They will still be collecting all remaining evidence.
12:15 PM - 5 Jul 2019

News about mackenzie lueck on Twitter
DA Sim Gill says formal charges will be filed next week. #MacKenzieLueck
12:16 PM - 5 Jul 2019

JUL 5, 2019
Remains of murdered Utah student Mackenzie Lueck found: police
The body of University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck was recovered 80 miles north of Salt Lake City, police said Friday.

Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown made the revelation during a press conference. Lueck’s remains were found in Logan Canyon.

[...]

Police recover body of slain Utah student Mackenzie Lueck in Logan Canyon
[...]

"In the wake of this tragic, tragic incident I am relieved and grief-stricken to report that we have recovered Mackenzie Lueck in Logan Canyon," said Salt Lake Police Chief Mike Brown.

The body was recovered Wednesday and investigators were later able to confirm that the remains were of Lueck.

[...]

Last week, police would not say whether a body had been recovered. They would only say that "female human tissue" that matched Lueck's DNA was found in the backyard of a Salt Lake home in the Fairpark neighborhood. Police said they found several charred items in that yard that "were consistent with personal items" of Lueck.

Remains of slain college student recovered
[...]

The remains of Mackenzie Lueck were found in Logan Canyon on Wednesday and have been forensically confirmed to belong to 23-year-old Lueck, he said at a news conference.

Brown said he spoke to Lueck's family Friday morning, calling it "another devastating call."

"Despite their grief, we hope this will help them find some closure," Brown said.

[...]

Formal charges are expected to be filed next week, Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said Friday.

North Salt Lake to Logan Canyon: Google Maps

Cell Towers, Logan UT: Who's the Best Carrier In Logan? 64 People Agree It's This.

Last edited:
News about mackenzie lueck on Twitter
Following tireless follow-up, #SLCPD was able to recover #MacKenzieLueck from Logan Canyon Wednesday. Forensic DNA confirmed her ID - matching tissue found last week. Press conference https://youtu.be/gF6j08KT-ec
D-uvNkRUwAEXC8O.jpg

12:58 PM - 5 Jul 2019

Michael Locklear on Twitter
*Police said last week they found human tissue belonging to #MackenzieLueck in the suspected killer’s backyard. Neighbors described burning.
*Now, her body found in Logan Canyon.
*Investigators have not publicly connected the dots here or given us a timeline.
12:48 PM - 5 Jul 2019

JUL 5, 2019
Body of missing University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck is found
[...]

Lueck's remains were discovered Wednesday in Logan Canyon, in Logan, Utah, nearly 90 miles north of Salt Lake City, where the 23-year-old student was last seen on June 17, the Salt Lake City police chief, Mike Brown, told reporters.

Brown said he personally called Lueck's parents on Friday to update them on the discovery.

"We recovered the body on Wednesday and were able to confirm it was her," Brown said. "I spoke with Mackenzie's family this morning, another devastating call. Despite their grief, we hope this will help them find some closure and justice for Mackenzie."

[...]

The announcement that Lueck's body was found comes a week after police said that investigators had dug up Ajayi's backyard, where neighbors said he had burned something with gasoline around June 17 or 18. Police said they found "charred material" that was "forensically determined to be female human tissue.”

[...]

"The police department has been diligent in following up on every little lead in this case," Biskupski said.

Logan, Utah, where Lueck's body was found, is home to Utah State University, which Ajayi once attended.

[...]

JUL 5, 2019
Mackenzie Lueck's body has been found, police say - CNN
[...]

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill, who earlier this week was granted an extension to file charges against Ajayi, said at Friday's news conference that his office would move forward with formally filing charges in the "early part of next week."

The investigation, Gill stressed, remains ongoing.

A suspect would typically only be allowed to be held in custody for 72 hours before charges are filed or they must be released. Because of the extension, Gill told CNN, his office has until Wednesday at 5 p.m. local time.

The Salt Lake Legal Defender Association said in a statement sent to CNN it had been appointed to represent Ajayi, and stressed that he is presumed innocent until proven guilty.

"The facts in this matter will be established in due course through the processes of the criminal justice system," the statement said.

JUL 5, 2019
The body of Utah student MacKenzie Lueck has been found in Logan Canyon, police say
[...]

Brown and Gill both issued pleas to give the Lueck family, living in California, privacy as they grieve.

“Whenever our community experiences a loss like this, the tragic circumstances have the potential to tear at the fabric of our community,” the chief said. “I am here to ask you, to implore you, to remain respectful.

“The tight-knit nature of this community is what helped us close this case so quickly. You have rallied together behind the Lueck family through this trial and I have felt that overwhelming support,” he added. "I hope that we take the time this weekend to talk to our loved ones and work together to prevent crimes like this from occurring.”

July 5, 2019

• Police say they recovered the body of 23-year-old Mackenzie Lueck near Salt Lake City, Utah on Wednesday
  • Her body was found in Logan Canyon - about 85 miles north of the city
  • Police arrested Ayoola A. Ajayi, 31, last week over Lueck's disappearance
  • Investigators had earlier found 'female human tissue' that matched Lueck's DNA in the backyard of Ajayi's Salt Lake City home
  • They also found charred items that are believed to have been Lueck's personal belongings
  • Lueck disappeared on June 17 after she returned from California for her grandmother's funeral
  • Police said she took a Lyft from the airport to a park to meet someone in the early hours of the morning
Body of University of Utah student Mackenzie Lueck is found | Daily Mail Online

Mackenzie Lueck's body has been found, police say

July 5, 2019

Investigators have discovered the body of Mackenzie Lueck, the 23-year-old El Segundo woman who was presumed dead after she was reported missing in Salt Lake City last month.

Authorities had initially believed that the man arrested in connection with Lueck’s death, 31-year-old Ayoola Ajayi, had burned her body in the backyard of his suburban Salt Lake City home. Ajayi was taken into custody June 28 and has not yet been formally charged in connection with the crime.

JUL 5, 2019
Searchers for MacKenzie Lueck's body requested diving equipment
Investigators who found MacKenzie Lueck’s body in Logan Canyon asked for tools for a water search from the Cache County Sheriff’s Office.

“So our sheriff approved us to send up some dive equipment from our search and rescue team,” said Lt. Doyle Peck.

It’s unknown if Lueck’s body was found in the canyon stream.

830f31c6-ec77-488f-833f-919fb6326ba6-medium16x9_lueck1.PNG

[...]

Who told investigators where to look? Was it the suspect? Was it someone who hikes, or bikes, or climbs in the canyon?

Searchers may have only been in the area for one day: July 3.

[...]

JUL 5, 2019
Police expert: here’s what could have led to finding MacKenzie Lueck’s remains
[...]

Christ Bertram, a retired deputy chief from the Unified Police Department, said there are two probabilities.

“One is that he is cooperating, and we as the public just don't know that,” he said in an interview Friday afternoon.

[...]

“It's important to remember that he lived in Logan,” Bertram said. “He may have been comfortable with that area. As investigators have done the backgrounds on him, they may have found areas that he was very familiar with or that he liked to go to.”

In addition to that background information, he said police could have used technology to trace and track Ajayi’s whereabouts during key moments in the days after MacKenzie went missing.

“In that case — traveling or following cell phone sites, or tracking on his phone, or maybe a tracking on the GPS in his vehicle — they may have absolutely downloaded that and then able to determine where he was,” Bertram explained.

If they were able to find a specific location, he said investigators could have gone and searched from there.

[...]

JUL 5, 2019
Finding MacKenzie Lueck's body may reveal what happened after she disappeared
[...]

Brown did not say what led officers to the canyon.

Bertram, who is not involved with the case, floated three possibilities — the suspect may be cooperating and revealed the location, police used the location history associated with the suspect’s cell phone, or people who knew the suspect told investigators where he liked to spend time.

[...]

Bertram, who also teaches criminal justice at Salt Lake Community College, said he believes the crime was planned, based on what police have released publicly.

“Maybe through interviews, they were able to determine places he liked to go in Logan Canyon, places he liked to hang out, because we know he wants to be in his comfort zone,” Bertram said.

[...]

Bertram said recovering the body makes prosecuting the case easier and shortens the investigation, but detectives still have a lot of work to do.

"Just finding the body does not end it,” Bertram said. “They now have to work on motive. They have to work on the opportunity of how he did it. They have to recreate to the best that they can what happened with regards to her.”

Body of MacKenzie Lueck, the woman from El Segundo who went missing in Utah, is found – Daily Breeze

July 5, 2019

“Through tireless detective work and investigation, we’ve recovered the body of MacKenzie and were able to forensically confirm it was her,” Salt Lake City Police Chief Mike Brown said.

[...]

A more specific location and what led investigators there were not disclosed.

Whether Lueck was killed at Logan Canyon, or elsewhere and then taken there, wasn’t known yet, police spokeswoman Christina Judd said.

Logan Canyon sits just east of Utah State University, where Lueck’s suspected killer, 31-year-old Ayoola Ajayi, attended classes at various times from 2009 to 2016.

Salt Lake County District Attorney Sim Gill said a collaborative investigation led to the discovery of Lueck’s body on Wednesday, July 3.

He also said his office had received the case from the Police Department and will begin considering the charges before they are filed against Ajayi, probably next week.

Searchers for MacKenzie Lueck's body requested diving equipment

July 5, 2019

(KUTV) — Investigators who found MacKenzie Lueck’s body in Logan Canyon asked for tools for a water search from the Cache County Sheriff’s Office.

“So our sheriff approved us to send up some dive equipment from our search and rescue team,” said Lt. Doyle Peck.

It’s unknown if Lueck’s body was found in the canyon stream.

[...]

Searchers may have only been in the area for one day: July 3.

JUL 6, 2019
Woman recounts almost going on date with suspected killer
One woman [ML] says she met the suspect, Ayoola Ajayi, on Tinder in late April.

[...]

“The suspect was very charming at first, we had a great conversation,” said Lewis.

At first, he wanted to pick her up at home; when Lewis hesitated, she says Ajayi was persistent.

“He said, well how about I pick you up at a parking lot,” added Lewis.

“I said no, I don’t really feel safe doing that,” said Lewis.

After she told him no, repeatedly, she says he snapped.

“Then he started getting belligerent. He kept insisting that’s what we do, and eventually I said hey I don’t really like where this is going, so I think I’m going to unmatch you, and he called me a really bad word,” said Lewis.

[...]

“I was very stunned and shocked. And very grateful that I didn’t give in. But he was insisting that we meet in a public parking lot, and then he wanted me to get in his car and travel with him to some other location.”

Jul 5, 2019

Ajayi was a Cache Valley resident for several years before moving to the Salt Lake City area.

Cache County Sheriff Chad Jensen said the body was recovered near Third Dam but he has few details to add.

The Salt Lake City Police Department contacted him on Wednesday to inform him they were coming into the area, he said.

“They called and said they were coming up and they didn’t need any assistance, so we really didn’t have any play in it at all,” he said. “They asked for some equipment that they ended up not needing so they came back and that was it.”

Brown said he was in contact with Lueck’s family Friday morning, calling it “another devastating call.”

SLC Police: MacKenzie Lueck's body found in Logan Canyon

BBM

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gisberthanekroot