Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect - #26

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re the comment CB doesn't seem to have an alibi .
How do you know this? If he hasn't been charged nothing will have been offered up from his defence lawyer ?
Also, FF has actually given some indication about what CB's defence is going to be. He spoke about timing how long it took to get to 5A using various routes around the resort.

Lawyer for Madeleine McCann prime suspect says he's found proof he is innocent

IMO, I have a feeling that FF won't dispute that CB was in PDL that night. Or dispute that CB was on the phonecall. But rather he plans to claim that CB was at another location within the PDL mast range when he was on the call. And that for him to get to 5A and take MM without being seen is not feasible due to the timings of the route he would have had to take and the witness accounts of what they saw and when. JMO but for him to talk about using this defence implies to me that CB doesn't have a solid alibi for the time of the disappearance, otherwise why would timing the routes matter if he could prove to be somewhere else when it happened?

It's certainly the defence I would use.

The tapas constructed the timeline so tight you can argue it must have been tannerman.

Prosecution has to discount that as a reasonable possibility which is obviously difficult when an entire police investigation was built around the guy and / or JT positively IDing him as RM

That is a major evidential issue

It's certainly the defence I would use.

The tapas constructed the timeline so tight you can argue it must have been tannerman.

Prosecution has to discount that as a reasonable possibility which is obviously difficult when an entire police investigation was built around the guy and / or JT positively IDing him as RM

That is a major evidential issue
The point is, you wouldn't need to use that defence if you could prove your client was elsewhere at the time anyway.

Also, there's a misconception about what JT said regarding Murat. Here's an interview she did clarifying some things-

Woman describes guilt over Madeleine's disappearance

Ms Tanner, 36, told The Sun: “I wake up to that image every day.

“Every day I see him there, striding away, carrying Madeleine away and I try desperately to remember more detail, to try and remember what his face was like.

“I think about it over and over again. It’s horrible. He had his face turned away from me, sort of sideways and it was very dark. I just didn’t see it properly, I wish to God I had.

“I wouldn’t be able to identify him from photos or anything because I didn’t get a clear look at him.”

She also said she had never told police the abductor was Robert Murat, an Anglo-Portuguese ex-pat who was the first named suspect in Madeleine’s disappearance.

“I’ve never pointed the finger at Robert Murat because I simply don’t know if it was him or not,” she said.

“I would say the man I saw was more local, or Mediterranean-looking, rather than British, or a tourist. He had dark, almost black, long hair and had swarthy skin.

For FF to be able to use the defence that the abductor was Tannerman, he would first need to prove that CB wasn't that person. Is JT going to testify that the man she saw definitely couldn't have been CB in a wig for example? Probably not since she said she wouldn't be able to identify him from a photo. So, I don't really see how FF can use this as his defence.

I think it's more likely he would try to use the GA theory of events about an accidental death in 5A, he already indicated in another article that he finds it a compelling theory unless BKA show evidence to prove otherwise.

Would assume, to have seen "Tannerman's" clothing style on other occasions.

Trousers, Sports-Jackets that reach beyond the pelvis...would say about end of the 90's, beginning of the 00's...

Maybe still worn years later due to constistent lack of money?!

20211031_162937.jpg

It might sound a little far fetched, but CB using a wig to carry out burglaries etc does make some sense and we know he kept a stash of wigs at his house. Prowling tourist areas, he wouldn't be walking around with a balaclava on to avoid being ID'd. Stick a swimming cap over his normal hair to avoid leaving traces, put a wig over the top, and anyone who did happen to notice him would be giving police a description that doesn't match him.

That's the fashion-style around 2011 and further in Hannover, obviously back from the sunny area!

Very old and worn, but trying to look like somebody with style, right?

img_1200x676$2020_06_09_23_50_48_948143.jpg

Agenda antiga confirma ligação de Brueckner ao desaparecimento de Maddie McCann

I could imagine, that JT in fact saw the one who did it...

Old and worn and washed out clothes use to turn into a brigthter colour like a bit greyish. Maybe a yellowish light reflects on it like more into a "brownish" shade.

Like in the nightime pic, how the reflection of the sandy area from the flash throws a brown appearence on CB's trousers maybe?!

Last edited:
Don't forget that CB was interviewed by German police in 2013 about MM after his name was put forward following a TV appeal.

Madeleine McCann suspect 'joked he had hid her in cellar' claims sickened ex-pal

He must have surely been asked to give an account of his movements around the time of the disappearance. So given that BKA are still adamant he is guilty, he either failed to provide an alibi back in 2013 or the one he gave doesn't stand up to scrutiny IMO.
Just to add to this point, in JC's book he states he was able to obtain a copy of the original summons letter that was given to CB in 2013 requesting him to attend an interview. In the letter it says CB will be "required to give his exact movements and timings from midnight on May 1 until midnight on May 31 2007".

Later in the book, JC asks HCW about what happened at this interview but HCW doesn't give much away. He basically says that CB cooperated and answered their questions but didn't present as suspicious at that time so nothing went any further.

Therefore I think it's almost certain that CB has already given police an account of where he claims to have been on May 3rd. Whether he would still maintain that same version of events now following the phonecall evidence etc, who knows? But it certainly wouldn't look good in court if he had to change his story because of evidence BKA have since uncovered that proves the original account of his movements in May 2007 is untrue.

It might sound a little far fetched, but CB using a wig to carry out burglaries etc does make some sense and we know he kept a stash of wigs at his house. Prowling tourist areas, he wouldn't be walking around with a balaclava on to avoid being ID'd. Stick a swimming cap over his normal hair to avoid leaving traces, put a wig over the top, and anyone who did happen to notice him would be giving police a description that doesn't match him.

I've always thought about those too, you just never know

And also in the HB case, he wore tights, so nothing would surprise me

The wigs and props CB had in his home, certainly show deception and calculated intention. This is just my opinion. We know he had stolen passports, watches etc. But stolen wigs? I doubt it. He was either given those by someone like NF in order to execute their robberies, or acquired from a local shop i.e. in Lagos?

Re the comment CB doesn't seem to have an alibi .
How do you know this? If he hasn't been charged nothing will have been offered up from his defence lawyer ?

As Dlk says above (with accompanying link), FF doesn't seem to be disputing CB's presence in the PdL vicinity on the evening of the 3rd May. Which suggests that CB was in the vicinity of PdL on the evening of the 3rd May. The vicinity, of course, covers an area which gives both CB and FF room to manoeuvre in the context of the T9's very specific and documented for posterity comings and goings on that same evening.

Last edited:
If CB was Tannerman in a wig and Totman was walking in the area at the same time, wouldn't they have bumped into each other?

Wish we had Totman's statement or the night creche signing in book.

Last edited:
The point is, you wouldn't need to use that defence if you could prove your client was elsewhere at the time anyway.

If I have an extra alibi defence then I would use that as well. My point is knowing only what we know, there is substantial headwinds for a prosecution who must rule out any other reasonable perp.

Also, there's a misconception about what JT said regarding Murat. Here's an interview she did clarifying some things-

Woman describes guilt over Madeleine's disappearance

Ms Tanner, 36, told The Sun: “I wake up to that image every day.

“Every day I see him there, striding away, carrying Madeleine away and I try desperately to remember more detail, to try and remember what his face was like.

“I think about it over and over again. It’s horrible. He had his face turned away from me, sort of sideways and it was very dark. I just didn’t see it properly, I wish to God I had.

“I wouldn’t be able to identify him from photos or anything because I didn’t get a clear look at him.”

She also said she had never told police the abductor was Robert Murat, an Anglo-Portuguese ex-pat who was the first named suspect in Madeleine’s disappearance.

“I’ve never pointed the finger at Robert Murat because I simply don’t know if it was him or not,” she said.

“I would say the man I saw was more local, or Mediterranean-looking, rather than British, or a tourist. He had dark, almost black, long hair and had swarthy skin.

Well its great she was able to clear all this up later o_O- but i go back to the same point. It won't be hard for a defence to raise an evidential foundation that another man was in fact identified. They don't need to prove it was him of course.

For FF to be able to use the defence that the abductor was Tannerman, he would first need to prove that CB wasn't that person.

No. He only needs to raise a reasonable possibility JT saw the perp and it wasn't CB.

Is JT going to testify that the man she saw definitely couldn't have been CB in a wig for example? Probably not since she said she wouldn't be able to identify him from a photo. So, I don't really see how FF can use this as his defence.

I don't think JT would actually be called. FF can simply show JT ided someone else as the abduction - that is documented in the police files, media reports etc etc. FF could call PJ officials to confirm it. He only needs to raise doubt.

I think it's more likely he would try to use the GA theory of events about an accidental death in 5A, he already indicated in another article that he finds it a compelling theory unless BKA show evidence to prove otherwise.

I think he would raise this as well.

FF is not confined to having one theory of the case. He can raise multiple possibilities - all of which need to be excluded as real possibilities.

I thought Tannerman had been consigned to the 'unreliable testimony' dump, along with pretty much everything else JT-related?

It has for a prosecution case - but thanks to the burden of proof not being on the defence, its a gold mine for a defence lawyer.

This is why I believe HCW requires something that renders all this irrelevant.

We don't need to explain what JT saw, or why PJ made the case they made, because it's all made irrelevant by that killer piece of evidence that @Dlk79 posted about upthread. Something that proves MM is dead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member