Madeleine McCann: German Prisoner Identified as Suspect, #37

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
None of us know what the police of three nations are doing in relation to the MM case or even if there are any offshoot to be considered. That isn't speculation. It is the fact of the matter.

Just because observers may be bored and anxious for immediate conclusions in this long running investigation does not make the dutiful efforts of investigators redundant in any way.
My opinion

To be clear it has nothing to do with being bored.

I am wondering if the investigation has run into a dead end myself

It is clear they have been very busy bringing 5 charges to prosecution

But if we get to'24 with no breakthrough, I suspect resourcing will come under pressure in a new financial year.

Nobody's remotely interested in their personal lives, and they've said almost nothing about the German investigation (so there's nothing really to comment about there imo). But there are questions as yet unanswered about previous events which - as Sunday Times journalists quickly discovered - can't be asked. Neither can they be discussed here I'm sure. They will always exist though.
There’s nothing stopping journos in any other country in the world asking them, but my guess is that answers to these questions are really not all that important or relevant in 2023 and that‘s why no PT or German or US journalists are remotely interested in asking them.

I agree this is true. Cases go cold. They are sometimes reopened for a fresh look - lots of things can be going on.

What I am trying to get at is for how much longer can we entertain the idea that they are quietly building the case behind the scenes?

e.g. If we go another year with no charges, do you think it could still be maintained that everything is fine and they are just taking their time?
Fine? well obviously not ideal but taking more time to build a case, yes, why not? All the while the investigators think they are able to solve a case then it should be pursued IMO. If all they were doing were literally sitting in a room staring at the phone waiting for a lead then they’d probably actively prefer to be working on some other case a bit more dynamic. I know I would, even of it meant my tan faded.

Reactions: Mex
There’s nothing stopping journos in any other country in the world asking them, but my guess is that answers to these questions are really not all that important or relevant in 2023 and that‘s why no PT or German or US journalists are remotely interested in asking them.
You're totally right. The absence has been surprising and disappointing imo.

You're totally right. The absence has been surprising and disappointing imo.
It can only be surprising and disappointing if you think the McCanns are hiding something significant. Presumably that’s where you’re coming from. I think that the media worldwide have concluded based on everything we know about them and the case that that is highly unlikely, hence the lack of interest in reviving old unfounded suspicions.

It can only be surprising and disappointing if you think the McCanns are hiding something significant. Presumably that’s where you’re coming from. I think that the media worldwide have concluded based on everything we know about them and the case that that is highly unlikely, hence the lack of interest in reviving old unfounded suspicions.
Doesn't matter where I'm coming from or what my opinions about the case are. There's clearly no lack of interest in the case, but imo it's disappointing that 16 years on only sensational coverage appears to exist in any media (including in podcasts). There wasn't much non-sensational coverage in 2007 either to be honest but there was some. It's not a good sign if it's gone forever. True crime cases tell us more about the world than just the details of whodunnit, when and how etc.

You call it 'reviving old unfounded suspicions'. I call it writing/recording history. The case is clearly part of the nation's history, and the full story will be told one day. If it's told fairly nobody should have a problem with that imo

You call it 'reviving old unfounded suspicions'. I call it writing/recording history. The case is clearly part of the nation's history, and the full story will be told one day. If it's told fairly nobody should have a problem with that imo
Not sure this case will appear in history books but in any case history is always written by the victors, so if you're not on their side to begin with you'd probably dispute it anyway.

To be clear it has nothing to do with being bored.

I am wondering if the investigation has run into a dead end myself

It is clear they have been very busy bringing 5 charges to prosecution

But if we get to'24 with no breakthrough, I suspect resourcing will come under pressure in a new financial year.
Resourcing for the SY investigation is always under review as the demands of some appear to take precedence over what is right and what is wrong in the conduct of investigating what is a uniquely perceived missing child case.

In which apparently, consideration for the inalienable rights of the prime suspect supersede those of the survivors of crime in the opinion of some.

There is resistance to investigating this particular crime and there always has been. Just as there is subliminal resistance to every aspect of investigation including the suggestion that it is time enough - let's cancel and get back to the comfort zone of supposition.

As I have already cited (twice) regarding the BKA investigation they are constitutionally obliged to investigate and prosecute crime where they find any.
This was so in the evidence which allowed charges in the five case to which you refer. I rather suspect there might have been more for which the available evidence didn't support for prosecution purposes. But five is really enough for the time being particularly when considering the nature of the alleged offences.
My opinion

Resourcing for the SY investigation is always under review as the demands of some appear to take precedence over what is right and what is wrong in the conduct of investigating what is a uniquely perceived missing child case.

In which apparently, consideration for the inalienable rights of the prime suspect supersede those of the survivors of crime in the opinion of some.

There is resistance to investigating this particular crime and there always has been. Just as there is subliminal resistance to every aspect of investigation including the suggestion that it is time enough - let's cancel and get back to the comfort zone of supposition.

As I have already cited (twice) regarding the BKA investigation they are constitutionally obliged to investigate and prosecute crime where they find any.
This was so in the evidence which allowed charges in the five case to which you refer. I rather suspect there might have been more for which the available evidence didn't support for prosecution purposes. But five is really enough for the time being particularly when considering the nature of the alleged offences.
My opinion
I can't see them as a world-wide police force, so there must be some terms of reference regarding what they can and can't investigate.

The parents spent a year under a magnifying glass. Burning, searing, intense spotlight. Painfully and excruciatingly focused completely on them.

People going through their trash. Hiding in their bushes.

Sensationalist headlines and attacks on them. Splashed across every front page world wide. The Sun. The DailyMail. The NYPost. Not exactly the kind of papers you want pictures taken surprisingly by the guy hiding in your bushes printed. The parents looking annoyed, on the go and like they had something to hide was the point. “Web 2.0” was at its infancy but anyone who was savvy enough to find the blogs and forums got a dose of general public perception. Primed by Natalie Holloway.

It wasn’t good.

And all of that scrutiny, digging and gossiping. From their “friends”, neighbors, people who once saw them at x, y, and z, from the world. All of the investigating and intrusion and suspicion from law enforcement agencies who have demonstrated that they are willing to grasp straws and bluff while having absolutely nothing. And what did we learn about them?

2 parents who lost a child. And it was their fault. Sure. But we all learned from the mistake they made that night over trusting the public at large and thinking it could never happen to them. They are guilty of nothing more than than not being there for them and providing opportunity for a predator.

So why would we want to go back to that? That’s a rhetorical question by the way.

Leave them alone.

The parents spent a year under a magnifying glass. Burning, searing, intense spotlight. Painfully and excruciatingly focused completely on them.

Sensationalist headlines and attacks on them. Splashed across every front page world wide. The Sun. The DailyMail. The NYPost. Not exactly the kind of papers you want pictures taken surprisingly by the guy hiding in your bushes printed. The parents looking annoyed, on the go and like they had something to hide was the point. “Web 2.0” was at its infancy but anyone who was savvy enough to find the blogs and forums got a dose of general public perception. Primed by Natalie Holloway.

It wasn’t good.

And all of that scrutiny, digging and gossiping. From their “friends”, neighbors, people who once saw them at x, y, and z, from the world. All of the investigating and intrusion and suspicion from law enforcement agencies who have demonstrated that they are willing to grasp straws and bluff while having absolutely nothing. And what did we learn about them?

2 parents who lost a child. And it was their fault. Sure. But we all learned from the mistake they made that night over trusting the public at large and thinking it could never happen to them. They are guilty of nothing more than than not being there for them and providing opportunity for a predator.

So why would we want to go back to that? That’s a rhetorical question by the way.

Leave them alone.
Personally I consider that quite a lot

It wasn’t good.

Leave them alone.
You're hurling all that at the wrong person. Nobody here has any intention of not leaving them alone. Don't confuse us with the folks on social media.

You're hurling all that at the wrong person. Nobody here has any intention of not leaving them alone. Don't confuse us with the folks on social media.
And yet you appear to want “Truman Capote” or equivalent to write a book or in depth article about all the unanswered questions you feel only they can answer…? How is that “leaving them alone” I wonder…

And yet you appear to want “Truman Capote” or equivalent to write a book or in depth article about all the unanswered questions you feel only they can answer…? How is that “leaving them alone” I wonder…
It's democracy Dudley. Freedom and all that. The same freedom allows others to answer the questions before the hypothetical new Capote sits down in front of the typewriter. So far nobody has.

(asking questions isn't the same thing as accusing anybody of anything. I don't know what happened to Madeleine. How could I, I wasn't there. Wolters imo doesn't know either. Every time he's asked "did CB abduct Madeleine?" he looks like Beavis and Butthead when they're asked what plans they have for the future. Nobody knows for certain what happened to her. But I know there are things that were not explained back then, and which still haven't been)

Last edited:
We can only speculate as to the delays can’t we? We’re not privy to anything that hasn’t been put on public record by any LE or teased in the press by any journo.

I haven’t given up all hope on the soil samples yet, I would expect detailed examination takes longer than a few weeks. Vaguely recall reading that there are 1000s of specific pollen signatures to be differentiated. There might be very specific micro analyses required going on the forensic soil detectives links in the last thread.

In light of the initial findings though, I am musing if there will be any further searches in connection with the apparent tip. Might be overly optimistic of me on that one.
But think through why pollen signature would be of interest, it's known CB visited the area, it's known there is no body, what would they want a match for ?what would any indicators of CB being at the reservoir actually mean?

My opinion
“What is right and what is wrong”

The search for MM has had two Portuguese investigations, one by the met and one by the BKA.

Additionally at least two private investigations have been funded by the MM fund - money donated mainly by the public.

How is it right that the search for one child has been funded so heavily compared to other missing children.

Ideals are… well ideal but when the UK government debt is over £2.6tn, responsible spending is important.

It's democracy Dudley. Freedom and all that. The same freedom allows others to answer the questions before the hypothetical new Capote sits down in front of the typewriter. So far nobody has.

(asking questions isn't the same thing as accusing anybody of anything. I don't know what happened to Madeleine. How could I, I wasn't there. Wolters imo doesn't know either. Every time he's asked did "CB abduct Madeleine?" he looks like Beavis and Butthead when they're asked what plans they have for the future. Nobody knows for certain what happened to her. But I know there are things that were not explained back then, and which still haven't been)
Wolters is certain Madeleine was murdered by CB, even if he does look like both Beavis and Butthead simultaneously when saying so. He’s not a stupid man despite his apparent resemblance to these dumb cartoon characters so one must assume that he has arrived at his opinion through the process of rational assessment of the evidence he and various police forces have gathered. You can go on wishing the parents were put back under the spotlight to answer your questions but you are almost certainly wishing in vain. It ain’t never gonna happen imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azouheir