Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
MT quote in the Olive Press article about CB in 2006:

“He was always very smart and snappy in the way he dressed. He always had good shoes and sometimes even wore a suit to go out."

I've wondered a similar thing about everything hitting rock bottom for him in 2007. The loot he had stashed had been stolen. His friends had turned on him. He had no home. No girlfriend. He was living wild, on drugs, with no money and no prospects on the horizon.

There's any number of possibilities of what came next but each of them makes more sense if you factor in a desperation aspect to his situation.

One bit that has got me thinking is this phone call about the 'horrible job' in PDL that will change his life. My previous thought was that the abduction was for his own gratification but if this phonecall is true, it sounds more like something else, which ties in more with his situation. A paid gig. Him being a low-level dispensable "snatcher" for a much bigger outfit. His later comments about her being "dead and that's a good thing" perhaps a reference to what her life would have consisted of otherwise.

I don’t wish to undermine a testimony but I just don’t believe the thing about “horrible” crime. He would never call it that. He had no moral conscience about children. And he was clearly never going to go into detail about it so it just seems so redundant that he would say that.

I don’t wish to undermine a testimony but I just don’t believe the thing about “horrible” crime. He would never call it that. He had no moral conscience about children. And he was clearly never going to go into detail about it so it just seems so redundant that he would say that.
I believe "horrible job" was the term he was said to have used, crime wasn't mentioned. And rather than something repulsive, he may have just meant it in the same manner a normal person may describe a job as being horrible (cleaning the toilet, telling someone they are being fired, something very difficult or hard to do etc.).

This is the sort of thing that deepens my cynicism.

The germans haven't identified anything because this theory has been around for years!

Even given CB was a burglar and a serial sex offender, we still seem to be nowhere on a direct connection to the crime.

While I agree about the theory, it wasn’t clear to me if this actually came from the Germans or the reporter.

We don’t know where they are, tbh. The Germans are running a tight ship — and that’s okay, if a little frustrating. We do know that both German LE and The Met had a big response to the public appeal. It’s going to be months of work, not weeks.

Tonight on TV in the UK the ID TV channel (on Sky its number 154 I believe or nearabouts) they are showing their own documentary (I believe) called the Madeleine McCann Mystery at 9pm (21:00). Its also showing on BT TV and another platform I forget now. I'm really not sure if this has been shown before or even if I've seen it, but here is link to a description of it. EDIT - Oops I see this has been discussed elsewhere in the thread. https://play.google.com/store/tv/sh...urder_Mystery?id=ag8nMD9ykIRw42WEpshvXQ&hl=en

This Sunday Times reporter travelled to Braunschweig and spoke to the prosecutor. He said the Germans have identified break-ins committed by CB in PdL and Lagos leading up to MM.

He also said their “working theory” is a tip off from an OC staff member or ex staff member to CB. I can’t tell if German LE directly told him that part or he’s making some assumptions.

19 Jun podcast report Stories of our times | The Times and The Sunday Times

Thanks for sharing this podcast. Listening to it now.

MT quote in the Olive Press article about CB in 2006:

“He was always very smart and snappy in the way he dressed. He always had good shoes and sometimes even wore a suit to go out."

I've wondered a similar thing about everything hitting rock bottom for him in 2007. The loot he had stashed had been stolen. His friends had turned on him. He had no home. No girlfriend. He was living wild, on drugs, with no money and no prospects on the horizon.

There's any number of possibilities of what came next but each of them makes more sense if you factor in a desperation aspect to his situation.

One bit that has got me thinking is this phone call about the 'horrible job' in PDL that will change his life. My previous thought was that the abduction was for his own gratification but if this phonecall is true, it sounds more like something else, which ties in more with his situation. A paid gig. Him being a low-level dispensable "snatcher" for a much bigger outfit. His later comments about her being "dead and that's a good thing" perhaps a reference to what her life would have consisted of otherwise.

This would ties in with him turning up in an expensive car months later and his friend being perplexed to how he could afford it.

I'm not sure how much he made from the cannabis deal (I think I read £8000), but his friend (sorry forgot his name), knew about it and still seemed surprised at his new vehicle.

Last edited:
This Sunday Times reporter travelled to Braunschweig and spoke to the prosecutor. He said the Germans have identified break-ins committed by CB in PdL and Lagos leading up to MM.

He also said their “working theory” is a tip off from an OC staff member or ex staff member to CB. I can’t tell if German LE directly told him that part or he’s making some assumptions.

19 Jun podcast report Stories of our times | The Times and The Sunday Times
That is one of the best podcasts I have heard BellMat ... Thank you !!

One very interesting thing that stood out for me was regarding the table reservations .... we have known for a while McCanns & friends had reserved those same tables for 4 evenings in a row , because it was closest to their apartment to check on the kids.

This information (table reservation details) was kept in a "book" for staff to read , nothing unusual there .

However it also said it was so those families could check on the unattended children throughout the evening .... wow . !! .... Talk about "inside information" that would be valuable to an intruder .... wow again .

I figure German police are clever because they speculate CB may have been talking to a "hotel insider" for those 30 minutes letting CB know the routine and best time to enter the apartment.

Also mentioned is the possible difficulty getting the person on the phone to come forward .... because he (she) may be an actual accomplice ... (versus just giving a tip-off to CB)

One very interesting thing that stood out for me was regarding the table reservations .... we have known for a while McCanns & friends had reserved those same tables for 4 evenings in a row , because it was closest to their apartment to check on the kids.

This information (table reservation details) was kept in a "book" for staff to read , nothing unusual there .

However it also said it was so those families could check on the unattended children throughout the evening .... wow . !! .... Talk about "inside information" that would be valuable to an intruder .... wow again .

I figure German police are clever because they speculate CB may have been talking to a "hotel insider" for those 30 minutes letting CB know the routine and best time to enter the apartment.

Also mentioned is the possible difficulty getting the person on the phone to come forward .... because he (she) may be an actual accomplice ... (versus just giving a tip-off to CB)
You almost wonder if it was intended for someone dubious to see?!

After listening to that podcast, it seems the final missing jigsaw peice is confirming whoever called Brückner an hour before, for them to say it was actually Brückner they spoke to. If that’s all they need to secure a conviction that’s crazy as it sounds such a minor piece of evidence. They can prove his handset was in Praia da luz, they just need to prove it was him holding it, and if they do that it sounds like they can go ahead and charge him? Did anyone else get that impression?

In that case, the German police obviously have a hell a lot more than they’re letting on to us.

This would ties in with him turning up in an expensive car months later and his friend being perplexed to how he could afford it.

I'm not sure how much he made from the cannabis deal (I think I read £8000), but his friend (sorry forgot his name), knew about it and still seemed surprised at his new vehicle.
The money made from the cannabis was over a period of time and several trips by the sounds of it. I think he only made something like £2,000 on the first deal on around £10,000 worth of drugs. Where did he get that outlay of cash in the first place?

The money made from the cannabis was over a period of time and several trips by the sounds of it. I think he only made something like £2,000 on the first deal on around £10,000 worth of drugs. Where did he get that outlay of cash in the first place?
I would think 10k is probably only around 10-15 burglaries on average. I’ve had 2k robbed out my safe on holiday once. If he does that 5 times he’s got his 10k as quick as that.
I would guess families take a lot of cash too, especially if they are self catering etc. It’s not unrealistic to think he would acquire 10k quite easily I would think.

I believe "horrible job" was the term he was said to have used, crime wasn't mentioned. And rather than something repulsive, he may have just meant it in the same manner a normal person may describe a job as being horrible (cleaning the toilet, telling someone they are being fired, something very difficult or hard to do etc.).

I'm not convinced that's what he said,but if he did maybe it's because he had to steal a child for someone else and couldn't hurt her himself? ( sorry,that is a horrible thing to write out)

But the call CB had for 30m was from someone outside PDL according to LE, so if he was talking to someone, it couldn't have been someone who was watching the restaurant, could it?

You almost wonder if it was intended for someone dubious to see?!
But why not just tell them directly?

I would think 10k is probably only around 10-15 burglaries on average. I’ve had 2k robbed out my safe on holiday once. If he does that 5 times he’s got his 10k as quick as that.
I would guess families take a lot of cash too, especially if they are self catering etc. It’s not unrealistic to think he would acquire 10k quite easily I would think.
I'm not sure that's true. Payment by card and cash top-ups from ATMs would be more likely. 2007 isn't that long ago.

But the call CB had for 30m was from someone outside PDL according to LE, so if he was talking to someone, it couldn't have been someone who was watching the restaurant, could it?

The podcast said ex-employees also. Plus, Ocean Club staff didn’t work everyday. It could be someone who was home on 3 May but had tipped him off in the days before.

So ... possible at least. The only thing against it is that you’d assume the resort would have all the staff mobile numbers on file? No need to appeal.

I'm not sure that's true. Payment by card and cash top-ups from ATMs would be more likely. 2007 isn't that long ago.
I remember it used to cost a fortune to withdraw cash from atms on holiday. There was definitely fees to pay, maybe not so much these days.
I just had a little look, this article was from 2007;

NatWest hikes cost of using cards abroad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members