Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Westfalia #1 (numbered for discussion).

This photo is taken on an overcast day. Days like this are ideal for photography as the lack of sun means we don't have to worry about the time of day, or hard shadows. Lighting is even, and shadows are minimal. Note the shadow seems a little longer under the front end of the car, extended out from the bumper. This makes me think the light cam from behind the back end. Note there is NO shadow under the backend, supporting my theory on the light direction. I'm torn between light coming from behind the back bumper, or actually at an angle near the back bumper (eg: under the hitch).

Also, take note, there does NOT appear in this photo to be a dent in the back of the van under the last window which appears in at least one other photo. I'll discuss that photo next in a new post for ease of discussion on each photo.

ETA: I'm VERY torn as to whether or not there is a dent along the back!! UGH. I see it sometimes, and sometimes not. I need to use photoshop, not just the basic annotate and color correct that is pre-installed on this system. UGH.

Attachments

• WESTFALIA 1.jpg
    WESTFALIA 1.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Westfalia #2

Note the arrows in red - these draw your attention to dents in the vehicle that I've noticed. I do not find those marking on the photo labeled by me as "Westfalia #1" in post above. Do you? I still believe this is likely the same vehicle though based on rust marks appearing along the door areas, and panelling.

The light in this photo appears to come from screen left. The shadow is hard and runs under the car. I'd wager between 11am and 2pm depending on where this photo was taken, and the direction the driver would be facing in the car. If I knew that info, we could further narrow this down some. I used a sharpen effect and I believe I cropped this to make it post here for me. No other work was done to the photo.

Attachments

• WESTFALIA 2a.jpg
    WESTFALIA 2a.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 46
Sorry if already covered but this is new (to me) in that they’re talking specifically about the mast. Anyone in the know - what’s the area-coverage of these things? Is it a dead cert that he was there or could he have been within a few miles?

“Mr Wolters said: "We know that the phone number which was used by our suspect on May 3, 2007, was connecting to the mast which belongs to the Ocean Club in Praia da Luz."

TV host Liz Hayes then presses the prosecutor on if they can place Christian B at the scene.

He replies: "Yes, we think so."”

Source: Phone call by Christian B 'made from outside resort where she was snatched'

Westfalia #3

Blue arrow on screen left draws your eye to a dent. The red arrows show the direction of the sun. its coming down at an angle and the shadows are a bit long, but not crazy long. I don't know which way the van faces in relation to the water, so its hard to know, but I'd guess before or after high noon. So probably 9-11am or 3-5pm. Best guess. Not sure on this, just guessing.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.34.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.34.58 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 34
I was re-reading some some of the articles on EM (aka Tractorman), the prime suspect in the MM abduction back in 2014. I remembered watching a Sky News doc on MM where they mentioned he was suspected of certain sexual assaults on young girls in the Algarve area around the time.

I couldn't find anything further on that aspect in MSM but was struck with how many other similarities there was bewtween EM and CB. Got me wondering whether the pair were connected. Did they know each other? I've linked a series of the news articles on EM below but here is a summary of certain things said about him in them -

- Had a criminal record for theft (same as CB) and was suspected of burglaries (like CB) in the Ocean Club. Quote from friend in linked articles: "I know he would sometimes break into apartments and rob them. He was taking valuables from rooms at Ocean Club and selling them for drugs."
- Sacked from the Ocean Club "a short time" before MM disappeared, apparently for stealing.
- Known drug user (CB was user and seller) Quote from friend in linked articles: "He was a good guy but had some serious drug problems. He would smoke heroin and became a slave to it."
- Foreign national living in Portugal (same as CB)
- Worked in the hospitality industry (CB worked in bars) mainly as a waiter.
- Lived and worked in the PDL and Lagos area (same as CB).
- Quote from article: had a past "marked by some episodes of violence" (same as CB)
- His phone was pinged near the apartment on the day of the abduction (same as CB) despite him no longer working there and the fact he lived 15km away in Lagos.
- Supposed profile put together by PJ led to him being identified as a suspect. Quote from linked article: "The immigrant also showed agressive traits and suspicious behaviour towards children." (same as CB)

The pair may be completely unconnected but it's not unreasonable that EM and CB's paths may have crossed.

Police profile revealed Maddie suspect's 'suspicious behaviour with kids' - report

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/4...spect-a-violent--who-was-a-threat-to-children

Madeleine McCann key suspect was heroin addict who burgled holiday flats to get fix

Euclides Monteiro - The Dead Suspect *

Westfalia #1 and #2 side by side... the second shows the circle where I MIGHT see a dent to match... do you?

ETA: cropped and zoomed way up by me... these are NOT the original photos from the media. This website doesn't like my screenshots - they're too big so I had to crop and zoom to post.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.41.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.41.55 PM.png
    272.2 KB · Views: 28
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.42.00 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 1.42.00 PM.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 28
Since we are on the subject of the Smith sighting...

The Smith family were Martin Smith, his wife Mary Smith, his son, Peter Smith, his 12-year-old daughter Aoife, his daughter-in-law, and four of his grandchildren 13, 10, 6, and 4 years of age.

May 3, 2007

At approximately 9:00 p.m. Martin Smith and Peter Smith say they left the Dolphin Restaurant with their family members heading toward Kelly's Bar. According to Aoife Smith they left the Dolphin restaurant at approximately 9:30 p.m. It only took a minute or two to get there on foot. In 'Kelly's Bar' Martin and Peter say they consumed some drinks. The Smith's left Kelly's bar at around 9:50 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. They went up a set of stairs that give access to the road just above. In the distance looking onto the road directly ahead of that road they saw a man carrying a child in the distance.

"At the beginning of this artery, he saw an individual carrying a child, who was walking normally and who did not seem out of place as it is normal to see people carrying children, especially during the holiday season. This individual was walking the downward path, in the opposite direction to the witness and his companions. He does not know where this person was headed as he only saw him as they passed each other. As he assumed they were a father and daughter, no suspicion was raised in him. When he passed this individual, it must have been around 22H00 (10:00 p.m.).

Man - Caucasian, around 175 to 180 cm in height. He appeared to be about 34/35 years old. Normal complexion, rather slim. His hair was short, in a normal male cut, brown in colour. He was wearing cream or beige-coloured cloth trousers in a classic cut in a cotton type of cloth.

Child - The child was female, about four years of age as she was similar to his granddaughter of the same age. She was being carried. She had blond medium-hued hair, without being very shiny. Her skin was light white, typical of the British. She was asleep and her eyelids were closed. She was not covered by any other blanket or cover. Within his group, they spoke about the child having no covering on her feet. He states that the individual did not appear to be a tourist, because of the individual's clothing. He states that the individual carried the child in his arms, with her head laying on the individual's left shoulder which was to the right of the witness. He adds that the individual was not holding the child in a comfortable position. The individual did not say a word nor did the child as she was in a deep sleep. When he passed this individual he was walking in the middle of the street, given at that time traffic is minimal or non-existent."
- May 26, 2007 / Martin Smith
"He saw an individual carrying a child. This individual was walking normally although with somewhat quick steps as he was walking downwards. This individual was coming down the street, in an opposite direction to that of the witness and his companions.

Man - Caucasian, around 175 to 180 cm in height. He was around 35, or older. Slightly brown skin as a result of sun exposure. He had short hair, brown in colour.
The individual did not try to hide his face or lower his gaze. When he passed the individual, the individual was descending to his right, and walked past the witness in the middle of the street, given that at that time the traffic was minimal or non-existent. Adds also that his son TA*** was questioned in Ireland and said that the individual was wearing a long-sleeved coat, black in colour, and that the child was barefoot."

Child - Was female. She was perhaps two or three years old. She appeared to be a bit smaller than his niece of the same age. She had blond hair, of medium tone, without being very shiny. Her skin was white, typically British. She was asleep and her eyelids were closed. Believes it was light summer clothing light in colour. "
- May 26, 2007 / Peter Smith

"As it was a large group (four adults and five children) they walked in a spaced out manner along the street some walking ahead, some further behind. The witness remembers that upon reaching the top of the steps, she looked to her left and saw a man with a girl in his arms, walking along the path Rua 25 de Abril. He was walking in their direction at a distance of, more or less, two metres. The witness crossed to the other side of Rua 25 de Abril and began walking up Rua da Escola Primária, in the direction of the Estrela da Luz complex."

(The lighting was tenuous.)

Male - Caucasian, light-skinned, between 20/30 years of age, of normal complexion, normal physique, around 1.70/1.75 metres in height. She believes that he had a clean-shaven face. His hair was thick, light brown in colour, short at the back (normal) and a bit longer on the top. The trousers he was wearing were smooth straight-legged trousers, light beige in colour, of a cotton type material, thicker than linen, possibly with buttons and without any patterns. Top half - the child covered almost completely what he was wearing. The individual's gait was normal, being able to distinguish it between walking quickly and running. He did not appear tired and walked normally while carrying the child.

Child - She was female because she had long smooth hair, neck length, fair/brown in colour. About four years old because her niece (who was in the group) is of the same age and same height. The child was lying against the individual's left shoulder in a vertical position on the front of the individual's body. She appeared to be sleeping. Her arms were suspended along her own body and were not wrapped around the individual who was carrying her. There was nothing covering the child, a comforter/blanket or any other piece of clothing but because of the girl's position, she only saw her from the back. She was wearing light coloured trousers, white or light pink-coloured that may have been pyjamas. The material was fine and could have been cotton. She also had a light coloured top, with long sleeves. She did not see well because the individual had his arms around the child. She is not sure if the child's top was the same colour as her trousers, saying only that it was light in colour."
- May 26, 2007/ Aoife Smith

All three of these witnesses say the they believe the girl could have been Madeleine. Aoife said she was 60% sure.

Only after all of the negative press the McCann's were receiving and
after they returned home (which some took as them fleeing from something) did Martin say he thought the man could have been Gerry McCann.

"I would like to state that the statement I made on 26th May 2007 in Portugal is correct. The description of the individual that I saw on 3rd May 2007 carrying
a child is as follows. He was average build, 5 foot 10” in height, brown hair cut short, aged 40 years approximately. Wearing beige trousers and darkish top
maybe a jacket or blazer. He had a full head of hair with a tight cut. This individual was alone."
- January 30, 2008 / Martin Smith

(Btw, he changed the age range of the man making him older by 5 to 6 years then what he previously stated.)

"In relation to the video clips of Gerard McCann and the person I saw on 3rd May 2007 when I saw the BBC news at 10 PM on 9th September 2007 something struck me that it could have been the same person. It was the way Gerard McCann turned his head down which was similar to what the individual did on 3rd May 2007 when we met him. It may have been the way he was carrying the child. I would be 60-80% sure that it was Gerard McCann that I met that night carrying a child. I am basing that on his mannerism in the way he carried the child off the plane."

Also the fact he was walking with a child towards the beach, it’s a random place to walk to with a child at that time of night. Almost like he was walking to wherever he needed to be and taking the beach route cause it would be dark and no one would be walking along there at night.
Not random if that's where they were staying. It wasn't actually near the beach, they were just heading south when they passed the Smiths, which happens to be the direction of the beach. There is loads of accomodation in that area before you even get to the beach.

As for nobody walking there at night, they were heading straight into the busy area, where most of the bars and restaraunts are. If anyone was going to be around at that time of night, it would be in that area.

Since we are on the subject of the Smith sighting...

The Smith family were Martin Smith, his wife Mary Smith, his son, Peter Smith, his 12-year-old daughter Aoife, his daughter-in-law, and four of his grandchildren 13, 10, 6, and 4 years of age.

May 3, 2007

At approximately 9:00 p.m. Martin Smith and Peter Smith say they left the Dolphin Restaurant with their family members heading toward Kelly's Bar. According to Aoife Smith they left the Dolphin restaurant at approximately 9:30 p.m. It only took a minute or two to get there on foot. In 'Kelly's Bar' Martin and Peter say they consumed some drinks. The Smith's left Kelly's bar at around 9:50 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. They went up a set of stairs that give access to the road just above. In the distance looking onto the road directly ahead of that road they saw a man carrying a child in the distance.

"At the beginning of this artery, he saw an individual carrying a child, who was walking normally and who did not seem out of place as it is normal to see people carrying children, especially during the holiday season. This individual was walking the downward path, in the opposite direction to the witness and his companions. He does not know where this person was headed as he only saw him as they passed each other. As he assumed they were a father and daughter, no suspicion was raised in him. When he passed this individual, it must have been around 22H00 (10:00 p.m.).

Man - Caucasian, around 175 to 180 cm in height. He appeared to be about 34/35 years old. Normal complexion, rather slim. His hair was short, in a normal male cut, brown in colour. He was wearing cream or beige-coloured cloth trousers in a classic cut in a cotton type of cloth.

Child - The child was female, about four years of age as she was similar to his granddaughter of the same age. She was being carried. She had blond medium-hued hair, without being very shiny. Her skin was light white, typical of the British. She was asleep and her eyelids were closed. She was not covered by any other blanket or cover. Within his group, they spoke about the child having no covering on her feet. He states that the individual did not appear to be a tourist, because of the individual's clothing. He states that the individual carried the child in his arms, with her head laying on the individual's left shoulder which was to the right of the witness. He adds that the individual was not holding the child in a comfortable position. The individual did not say a word nor did the child as she was in a deep sleep. When he passed this individual he was walking in the middle of the street, given at that time traffic is minimal or non-existent."
- May 26, 2007 / Martin Smith
"He saw an individual carrying a child. This individual was walking normally although with somewhat quick steps as he was walking downwards. This individual was coming down the street, in an opposite direction to that of the witness and his companions.

Man - Caucasian, around 175 to 180 cm in height. He was around 35, or older. Slightly brown skin as a result of sun exposure. He had short hair, brown in colour.
The individual did not try to hide his face or lower his gaze. When he passed the individual, the individual was descending to his right, and walked past the witness in the middle of the street, given that at that time the traffic was minimal or non-existent. Adds also that his son TA*** was questioned in Ireland and said that the individual was wearing a long-sleeved coat, black in colour, and that the child was barefoot."

Child - Was female. She was perhaps two or three years old. She appeared to be a bit smaller than his niece of the same age. She had blond hair, of medium tone, without being very shiny. Her skin was white, typically British. She was asleep and her eyelids were closed. Believes it was light summer clothing light in colour. "
- May 26, 2007 / Peter Smith

"As it was a large group (four adults and five children) they walked in a spaced out manner along the street some walking ahead, some further behind. The witness remembers that upon reaching the top of the steps, she looked to her left and saw a man with a girl in his arms, walking along the path Rua 25 de Abril. He was walking in their direction at a distance of, more or less, two metres. The witness crossed to the other side of Rua 25 de Abril and began walking up Rua da Escola Primária, in the direction of the Estrela da Luz complex."

(The lighting was tenuous.)

Male - Caucasian, light-skinned, between 20/30 years of age, of normal complexion, normal physique, around 1.70/1.75 metres in height. She believes that he had a clean-shaven face. His hair was thick, light brown in colour, short at the back (normal) and a bit longer on the top. The trousers he was wearing were smooth straight-legged trousers, light beige in colour, of a cotton type material, thicker than linen, possibly with buttons and without any patterns. Top half - the child covered almost completely what he was wearing. The individual's gait was normal, being able to distinguish it between walking quickly and running. He did not appear tired and walked normally while carrying the child.

Child - She was female because she had long smooth hair, neck length, fair/brown in colour. About four years old because her niece (who was in the group) is of the same age and same height. The child was lying against the individual's left shoulder in a vertical position on the front of the individual's body. She appeared to be sleeping. Her arms were suspended along her own body and were not wrapped around the individual who was carrying her. There was nothing covering the child, a comforter/blanket or any other piece of clothing but because of the girl's position, she only saw her from the back. She was wearing light coloured trousers, white or light pink-coloured that may have been pyjamas. The material was fine and could have been cotton. She also had a light coloured top, with long sleeves. She did not see well because the individual had his arms around the child. She is not sure if the child's top was the same colour as her trousers, saying only that it was light in colour."
- May 26, 2007/ Aoife Smith

All three of these witnesses say the they believe the girl could have been Madeleine. Aoife said she was 60% sure.

Only after all of the negative press the McCann's were receiving and
after they returned home (which some took as them fleeing from something) did Martin say he thought the man could have been Gerry McCann.

"I would like to state that the statement I made on 26th May 2007 in Portugal is correct. The description of the individual that I saw on 3rd May 2007 carrying
a child is as follows. He was average build, 5 foot 10” in height, brown hair cut short, aged 40 years approximately. Wearing beige trousers and darkish top
maybe a jacket or blazer. He had a full head of hair with a tight cut. This individual was alone."

(Btw, he changed the age range of the man making him older by 5 to 6 years then what he previously stated.)

"In relation to the video clips of Gerard McCann and the person I saw on 3rd May 2007 when I saw the BBC news at 10 PM on 9th September 2007 something struck me that it could have been the same person. It was the way Gerard McCann turned his head down which was similar to what the individual did on 3rd May 2007 when we met him. It may have been the way he was carrying the child. I would be 60-80% sure that it was Gerard McCann that I met that night carrying a child. I am basing that on his mannerism in the way he carried the child off the plane."
I still believe Tannerman and Smithman are the same person. JMO.
Both average height and build. Both wearing light or beige trousers. Both wearing a dark jacket or blazer.

Do we know if tractorman’s mobile was a different number to CB’s? Might it be the same number but PJ/LE had it assigned to tractorman, when it actually belonged toCB?

Not random if that's where they were staying. It wasn't actually near the beach, they were just heading south when they passed the Smiths, which happens to be the direction of the beach. There is loads of accomodation in that area before you even get to the beach.

As for nobody walking there at night, they were heading straight into the busy area, where most of the bars and restaraunts are. If anyone was going to be around at that time of night, it would be in that area.
so why not come forward? if it was completely innocent? it was at a very precise location, at a very precise time, surely you would know if this was you.

Westfalia #1 (numbered for discussion).

This photo is taken on an overcast day. Days like this are ideal for photography as the lack of sun means we don't have to worry about the time of day, or hard shadows. Lighting is even, and shadows are minimal. Note the shadow seems a little longer under the front end of the car, extended out from the bumper. This makes me think the light cam from behind the back end. Note there is NO shadow under the backend, supporting my theory on the light direction. I'm torn between light coming from behind the back bumper, or actually at an angle near the back bumper (eg: under the hitch).

Also, take note, there does NOT appear in this photo to be a dent in the back of the van under the last window which appears in at least one other photo. I'll discuss that photo next in a new post for ease of discussion on each photo.

ETA: I'm VERY torn as to whether or not there is a dent along the back!! UGH. I see it sometimes, and sometimes not. I need to use photoshop, not just the basic annotate and color correct that is pre-installed on this system. UGH.

[ETA: I guess he doesn't wash that van too often]

Good point photographer. I think you can see dent here:

(dent in yellow part is harder to see but by zooming in pic a lot I guess it's there)

Attachments

• 000000.jpg
    000000.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Sorry if already covered but this is new (to me) in that they’re talking specifically about the mast. Anyone in the know - what’s the area-coverage of these things? Is it a dead cert that he was there or could he have been within a few miles?

“Mr Wolters said: "We know that the phone number which was used by our suspect on May 3, 2007, was connecting to the mast which belongs to the Ocean Club in Praia da Luz."

TV host Liz Hayes then presses the prosecutor on if they can place Christian B at the scene.

Source: Phone call by Christian B 'made from outside resort where she was snatched'

It's a good question. I don't know the answer and a google hasn't helped but I can't see how it could be narrowed down, definitively, to CB's physical presence in the very immediate area as opposed to him being within the mast's range.

The 'Yes, we think so..' suggests to me they're still in need of something more concrete.

I was re-reading some some of the articles on EM (aka Tractorman), the prime suspect in the MM abduction back in 2014. I remembered watching a Sky News doc on MM where they mentioned he was suspected of certain sexual assaults on young girls in the Algarve area around the time.

I couldn't find anything further on that aspect in MSM but was struck with how many other similarities there was bewtween EM and CB. Got me wondering whether the pair were connected. Did they know each other? I've linked a series of the news articles on EM below but here is a summary of certain things said about him in them -

- Had a criminal record for theft (same as CB) and was suspected of burglaries (like CB) in the Ocean Club. Quote from friend in linked articles: "I know he would sometimes break into apartments and rob them. He was taking valuables from rooms at Ocean Club and selling them for drugs."
- Sacked from the Ocean Club "a short time" before MM disappeared, apparently for stealing.
- Known drug user (CB was user and seller) Quote from friend in linked articles: "He was a good guy but had some serious drug problems. He would smoke heroin and became a slave to it."
- Quote from article: had a past "marked by some episodes of violence" (same as CB)
- His phone was pinged near the apartment on the day of the abduction (same as CB) despite him no longer working there and the fact he lived 15km away in Lagos.
- Supposed profile put together by PJ led to him being identified as a suspect. Quote from linked article: "The immigrant also showed agressive traits and suspicious behaviour towards children." (same as CB)

The pair may be completely unconnected but it's not unreasonable that EM and CB's paths may have crossed.

Police profile revealed Maddie suspect's 'suspicious behaviour with kids' - report

Madeleine McCann suspect 'a violent who was a threat to children’

Madeleine McCann key suspect was heroin addict who burgled holiday flats to get fix

I have thought the same Dlk79. Definitely the same type of character I'd say.

Madeleine McCann suspect 'a violent who was a threat to children’

I couldn't see anything other than some break ins and used heroin, nothing about sex crimes, I seen that he had children of his own, not looked further, but doesn't seem to fit with anything on MM, I would need look into it more

Man - Caucasian, around 175 to 180 cm in height. He appeared to be about 34/35 years old.
He was average build, 5 foot 10” in height, brown hair cut short, aged 40 years approximately.

Male - Caucasian, light-skinned, between 20/30 years of age,

3 different descriptions of the same man they all saw, at exactly the same time. one of them describes him as young as 20-30, the other describes him at 35, and martin smith describes him at 40. obviously guessing a persons age is subjective but that's quite a disparity. I'm not sure we can really rely fully on their testimony's tbh. especially since 13 years have passed too.

Also the fact he was walking with a child towards the beach, it’s a random place to walk to with a child at that time of night. Almost like he was walking to wherever he needed to be and taking the beach route cause it would be dark and no one would be walking along there at night.

so why not come forward? if it was completely innocent? it was at a very precise location, at a very precise time, surely you would know if this was you.
Obviously I can't answer that but could be any number of reasons. Possibly the person doesn't feel they and whoever they carried look anything like what was described. Maybe they live somewhere that hasn't had the extensive news coverage and appeals so don't even realise. Perhaps they just don't care or don't want to get involved.

It took them 6 years to say that Tannerman was the doctor living in England even though he himself told investigators right at the beginning in 2007 it was probably him. Do we actually know nobody has come forward to say they might have been Smithman? Maybe they have but have just been excluded on a similar basis as Tannerman's guy who we never head about until they changed their minds about him.

Here you have a good discussion about coverage in 2007.

There's no OC mast. What he may mean is "same mast as OC", which still gives a wide area to search.

Uncategorized – h42a

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member