Madeleine McCann: German prisoner identified as suspect

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think they are at least free of the difficult politics and backstory that plagues the Met investigation.

What the Met were doing always struck me as bizarre - especially their theatrical expedition to PdL and the crime watch expose. I mean much of what they did is unknown to us, but you would have though an important first step of such a cold case review would have been to finally straighten out all the Tapa's stories? Yet seemingly they did not do this, beyond eliminating the Tanner sighting. Presuming they had been speaking to Tanner, why not get her version public to finally straighten all that out?

So yes, the German prosecutor is free of all that baggage and can try to make a prosecution based around a specfic theory of the case, rather than all these rabbit holes of the past.
i agree that they should have reviewed all the evidence. all the suspects.
re: tanner
she first said the guy she saw was 1.70m [approx 5'7"]
then said she was sure the guy was murat.
then the met say she actually saw an innocent guy [who turns out to be 6'5"]
that's quite a bit to tighten up + straighten out right there.

Just saw this -- passing along:

German Authorities Believe Madeleine McCann Is Dead, But Family Hasn't 'Given Up Hope' She's Alive

"All they have ever wanted is to find their daughter," a family spokesperson told BBC Radio

By Harriet Sokmensuer
June 04, 2020 11:49 AM
Authorities in Germany believe Madeleine McCann, the 3-year-old British girl who went missing from her family vacation in Portugal in 2007, is dead — but her parents remain hopeful she will one day be found alive.
"We are assuming that the girl is dead," Hans Christian Wolters, from the Braunschweig Public Prosecutor's Office, told the BBC on Thursday.
On Wednesday, London Metropolitan Police announced they had identified a 43-year-old German prisoner as a suspect in McCann's case. British authorities would not reveal what the suspect was behind bars for, but in his update Thursday, Wolters said he is, "a sexual predator who has already been convicted of crimes against little girls and he's already serving a long sentence."
More here:
German Authorities Believe Madeleine McCann Is Dead, But Family Hasn't 'Given Up Hope' She's Alive

RSBM

My problem with this case is the same one that plagued PJ and to my knowledge the Met never got past this either. If your theory of the case is abduction, then your investigation should produce evidence of an abduction, and clues as to identity. Sadly nothing ever came to light, but instead some forensic evidence of death in the apartment. This is why theory of the case has always tended to focus on removal of a body, rather than abduction, based on the little evidence known.

So now we have a tip off, and a load of sound and light that this is the kind of guy who would do this.

But i am not yet seeing anything which connects this guy directly to the disappearance. And if police had it, then surely he would be charged already?

I really hope they have something they are not telling us about
RSBM
and that evidence of death in the apartment doesn't sit very well with an opportunist break in or an opportunist abduction. why take the body out with you?

So what do we know for certain?

Child *advertiser censored* and found guilty of sexual assault against a child.

In the area and nearby at the time of the crime.

Changed the registered owner for the Jag the day after MM’s disappearance.

History of violent sex crime - convicted of violent rape.

Speculative film evidence of at least one further rape.

Reported confession in a bar - from the same witness who appears credible given the concurrent information regarding the rape of the elderly woman.

I’m usually open to coincidence but that’s shaping up quite convincingly. It’s definitely not enough though. I’m assuming they know more and they’re holding it back as the litmus test for any witnesses that now come forward.
regarding the confession(s) in a bar, there's a difference between the two stories... the witness also saw video of the rape, making that part of the story very real. but nothing similar to support the maddie abduction story.

one other thing that could link the two PdL crimes - entering through an unlocked door. which either points to a matching reckless lack of planning, and luck that he wasn't caught right at the time. or matching careful pre-planning to know entering each door was safe to do at the time.

Question to everyone - IF this guy happened to be *the* guy, what would you offer him in return for say.. giving the location of MM’s remains?

Personally, and I’m torn, I’d (maybe?) even go as far as to offer him immunity from prosecution if he could reveal where the body is. He can be dealt with in.. other ways, especially with the scrutiny he is now subject to.

If it’s the only way to give the McCanns and countless other closure... I just hope this case can be solved, end of.

Absolutely no immunity this guy is a very, very dangerous sexual predator. I have no doubt he will harm many others in the future if free. I understand the critical need for Madeleine’s family to know what happened to her and where her remains are but a situation can’t be created whereby child rapists and murders get immunity after several years if they say where the victim’s remains are. Maybe he could be offered better prison conditions but nothing more. He deserves nothing and after reading what the Lady American tourist went through (which was a mistake for me to do) and his other heinous convicted crimes. I believe he deserves LWOP or the be death penalty.

Please stop posting pictures. They don't give any clues about the crime, they do nothing in Maddies case, all they do is harm to people who may look like him. Please respect the German privacy laws.

I have no problem with a known criminal losing his "privacy" ..... and showing his picture should actually benefit other people who "may look like him" ..... and especially for all the Germans who share the same name .... I would bet they are glad his picture is shown

In Canada when a convicted sex offender has served his sentence , and has refused therapy or counseling , and is considered likely to re-offend again .... his picture is published everywhere , including naming the community he will be living in .

If those same things were applied in Germany from Christian Brueckner's first child-abuse charges Madeline McCann would be alive today

Best wishes

deleted double post

Last edited:
Absolutely no immunity this guy is a very, very dangerous sexual predator. I have no doubt he will harm many others in the future if free. I understand the critical need for Madeleine’s family to know what happened to her and where her remains are but a situation can’t be created whereby child rapists and murders get immunity after several years if they say where the victim’s remains are. Maybe he could be offered better prison conditions but nothing more. He deserves nothing and after reading what the Lady American tourist went through (which was a mistake for me to do) and his other heinous convicted crimes. I believe he deserves LWOP or the be death penalty.

In Germany there is no LWOP (life means something around 25 years, I'm not sure, maybe someone here knows, and I think they can get out even sooner - only very dangerous criminals can get preventive custody after they served their prison sentence and that could mean forever or for a shorter period of time - they have to "check" once a year if the prisoner is still a danger to society - with all the crimes he committed before and if he did this and is found guilty he probably will get preventive custody).

There is no death penalty in Germany. Or anywhere in Europe. But of course, if they find or have enough proof then I have no idea if he will even be tried in Germany, without really knowing anything about that, it could be in Portugal or even the UK - but then he is a German citizen, so who knows.

Good post.

The fundamental problem all along has been that the police lack physical evidence tying anyone to the disappearance.

Even in the case of the rape with a hair left behind, if you don't know which offender to match it to, where do you go from there?

It's all very well to say they should have looked closer at this guy, but what can they find out? And there are lots of bad people in any region that you can look at.

It really is a like a hackstack with many needles in it. PJ never particularly had a defined group of suspects when they do't even know what the crime is. So who has the resources to investigate every single offender in the area? And even if you do, without probable cause police lack any powers to make progress.
Yes, I think that successful police work depends on either the criminal making a mistake, or a lucky break. Fortunately, this kind of crime is utterly abhorrent to most people, they have no desire to commit it.

Yes, I think that successful police work depends on either the criminal making a mistake, or a lucky break. Fortunately, this kind of crime is utterly abhorrent to most people, they have no desire to commit it.

Yes. Crimes with no bodies are very difficult. See for example the current Lori Vallow case.

Both her kids are missing and she refuses to say where they are.

I'm a bit confused by Amaral saying 'I'll say something else, the kidnapper is similar, very similar, to Gerry McCann' in the article asyousay posted from November, because he doesn't look anything like him!

Ex-Portuguese police chief claims leading Madeleine McCann suspect is a mystery German paedophile | Daily Mail Online
I wondered this too. I wonder if he means MN who had a propensity for raping, then killing young boys. He looks more like GM than CB does, he was investigated but ruled out because his targets were boys. MN and CB must have known each other in PDL and were both there at the time in question. MN is also in a German prison, just a thought. (Not sure if I'm allowed to say MN's name?

it’s front page every June too. I don’t know if it was this guy every time as the other bloke in a German prison was Martin ney. If you check his crime history, he is a better match, and there is also the claim he was in that area at the time and confessed...

the problem with this case is that it’s never been examined honestly. There’s loads of dodgy aspects. The family have lied and fiddled the crime scene. There are holes in their account. It’s also not good to have a media team of spin doctors around you leaking fabricated stories to ensure the story remains in the news...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suebrina