Massive plastic garbage dump- Pacific Ocean

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Does anyone else see it as ironic that several years ago it was seen as the environmentally conscious choice when asked "paper or plastic" to say plastic? The idea being it didn't kill trees, of course. Of course, trees can be replanted and paper biodegrades. Some smart-aleck clerks were ahead of their time by asking "kill a tree or choke a fish." Too bad we didn't realize how true that was. Choosing plastic was definitely considered the environmental choice in order to save the trees. Now we are choking the fish.

Actually around here it was kind of 50/50. we tried to recycle both. I think the problem with plastic is we assumed it was being recycled.

Lots of it isn't, obviously. Yes, it seems if you recycle the paper, they make more paper - at least paper is biodegradable in the landfills.

I always fold my paper bags and put them in the pantry. You can take them to the store and reuse them, trouble is I walk out the door and FORGET!

I always ask for paper bags now (when there is a choice).. and put them in my compost pile or use them in the garden.. at least they're going back into the soil that way.
I like the way you guys are thinking, with the cloth bags and such.. keep it up! You are inspiring! If the clerk gives you a dirty look because you are messing with their little routine,, just tell them about the 3 1/2 ton floating plastic garbage dump twice the size of Texas. Sorry, but there is more to life than you and your little job.. lol (OK,, don't say that!)

Maybe we can start a trend (well it's not like we are the first.. but I sure don't see anyone doing it where I live)... and we will probably get some flack from the employees because you're making them nervous bringing a backpack or your own bag into their store.. but too bad, so be it. People need to start thinking BEYOND themselves and their company's profits. And, if everyone started doing this... then the stores would find a way to deal with it!

Of course,, if they were smart,, they'd all make tote bags with their names on it... but the fact is, they don't want people bringing bags into the store. but, if lareg numbers of people started doing it, they'd figure, they might as well use it to thier advantage, and advertise their name.

The Navy ships throw their trash overboard. We did it plenty out at sea..Of course you have to be *so far out* before dumping but if you're talking about something like a carrier with thousands of people...that's a lot of trash!

Of course,, if they were smart,, they'd all make tote bags with their names on it... but the fact is, they don't want people bringing bags into the store. but, if lareg numbers of people started doing it, they'd figure, they might as well use it to thier advantage, and advertise their name.

The Hy-vee here (a midwest grocery chain) actually sells REALLY nice reusable cloth bags for $4.99 each with the Hy-vee name in them. Big sturdy bags, nice handles, a little pocket on the outside. Had I not found such a good deal at the flea market I probably would have bought the Hy-vee bags.

I think sometimes people don't even think about the cloth bag option until they see someone else doing it. We've had lots of people ask about the bags when they see DH and I using them and I always rave about them.

Becca

I don't know how well-made they are, but cloth bags sell in our stores for $1 each.

I've always recycled the plastic bags I get and sent them back to the grocery store. I don't know what they do with them, but I hope the grocers are telling the truth about recycling.

The Navy ships throw their trash overboard. We did it plenty out at sea..Of course you have to be *so far out* before dumping but if you're talking about something like a carrier with thousands of people...that's a lot of trash!

I wonder if the Cruise Ships do, too?

I wonder if the Cruise Ships do, too?

My parents were shocked when on a yacht in Rio, the crew cleared the tables after a formal dinner and threw everything overboard, even much of the dishware. I am NOT kidding. Every time they traveled overseas they came home with garbage horror stories. It's bad here and it's worse elsewhere. People are nuts.

Eve

oh my god.. you are kidding, i never even thought of that. this is EVIL!! of all the tens of thousands of people who travel on cruise ships,, and on navy ships... aren't people upset about this?? isn't anyone doing anything about this...???? isn't anyone held responsible??

My parents were shocked when on a yacht in Rio, the crew cleared the tables after a formal dinner and threw everything overboard, even much of the dishware. I am NOT kidding. Every time they traveled overseas they came home with garbage horror stories. It's bad here and it's worse elsewhere. People are nuts.

Eve

This was a private yacht, though correct? I am almost positive that cruise ships are not allowed to do this.

This was a private yacht, though correct? I am almost positive that cruise ships are not allowed to do this.

Yes, and I didn't mean to imply otherwise, thanks for pointing it out. Martha's question about cruises just made me think of this story. My mother said she was just speechless when she saw this going on - the locals just went on partying, obviously didn't think it was odd at all. :eek:

Eve

Does anyone else see it as ironic that several years ago it was seen as the environmentally conscious choice when asked "paper or plastic" to say plastic? The idea being it didn't kill trees, of course. Of course, trees can be replanted and paper biodegrades. Some smart-aleck clerks were ahead of their time by asking "kill a tree or choke a fish." Too bad we didn't realize how true that was. Choosing plastic was definitely considered the environmental choice in order to save the trees. Now we are choking the fish.

That is what the stores wanted people to think. In reality paper has always been the more eco-friendly choice but plastic is cheaper. There are stores around where I live that won't give you a plastic bag anymore (or any bag)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
teqtoshi
Back