Matt Lauer fired by NBC, accused of "inappropriate sexual behavior"

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So a $30 million pay out, or what, he'll start naming names. I sure he doesn't make any more money, he wan't worth what he has already made. How is his pay justified while our military, our teachers and our first responders make nothing.

He won't get it. He violated the morals/ethics clause of his contract. Those contracts don't leave anything to chance and him putting the network in disrepute and affecting their reputation is another clause. He'll be lucky if he isn't sued for millions by the various women he harassed.

An idea that popped into my head last night:

Someone, somewhere, should start a petition online to NBC to re-hire Ann Curry, for her to have Lauer's old position. I'll happily sign. Just because.

Second - a job for Lauer.

Driving a garbage truck.

That way he won't have any contact with women for awhile on the job and he will have plenty in common with his new profession.

Happy to solve the problem.

:clap:

The timing of all of this is so interesting to me. Is it because the victims feel emboldened and safe to come forward or is it some type of over all payback? I remember reading how upset HRC was about how Lauer questioned her during an interview while campaigning. She is in a perfect position to spill the dirt she has on everyone, Hollywood, media, politicians, etc...just my musings!

Oh my god Hillary is responsible for everything :laughing:

So a $30 million pay out, or what, he'll start naming names. I sure he doesn't make any more money, he wan't worth what he has already made. How is his pay justified while our military, our teachers and our first responders make nothing.

It's absurd, isn't it? He felt all the more entitled.

He won't get it. He violated the morals/ethics clause of his contract. Those contracts don't leave anything to chance and him putting the network in disrepute and affecting their reputation is another clause. He'll be lucky if he isn't sued for millions by the various women he harassed.

I’m not so sure look at the multi million dollar payoffs Roger Ailes and Bill O’Reilly got at Fox News when they should have been fired without another dime. Lauer could also buy a property via a trust like Ailes did with his payoff to protect it.

I want to play the devil's advocate here for just a sec. Im not saying in any way that women are not harassed, when I was at the law firm this jerk I worked for put 12 pics of himself in various positions completely nude and with an erection.. What was I to do other than down play the fact I was embarrassed. I made nasty comments back to him like I needed a magnifiying glass etc just so I didnt feel so alarmed I guess.

But I wonder if some of these guys have been selected for termination and what better way than to find a woman willing to accuse them of something so their exit will save them a few coins and to hurt future positions regarding those huge million dollar salaries they make? Really im more like asking the question could this be possible?

I'm sure anything is possible.
Honestly my concern after the landslide of cases, is how many are going to be falsely accused?
Cases like Lauer where there is evidence don't concern me. He's clearly a disgusting creepy. Good riddance.

What about other cases where there's no evidence?
Just one accuser who sues for millions?
Do those people get fired too? Charged? Sued?
Or will each case be judged on it's own evidence?
What if it's a guy who is less powerful? Will he be fired on one person's story?

I hate that I am this jaded now.
I've just seen too many false allegations for attention/sympathy/revenge when money is NOT involved.
I can only imagine that there would be more motive when millions are possible to obtain.
It's all so terrifying.

Seems like Zimmerman and Lauer were the sex ringleaders in the NBC offices:

Two weeks ago, Matt Zimmerman, Lauer’s longtime booker on the Today show, was fired following accusations from multiple women. Zimmerman and Lauer were close and Lauer fought for Zimmerman to stay. According to multiple sources, Zimmerman pushed out some of the staffers who were male and more senior, replacing them with young women. Over time, he pursued more than one relationship with women on his team. He sent inappropriate text messages late at night, which were discovered in the HR probe.

Here is Zimmerman's article about his firing:

Matt Zimmerman, senior VP of booking, news and entertainment, had been with NBC News since at least 2004. He was promoted in 2014 to head a unit designed to handle guest bookings for “Today” and other NBC News programs. “We have recently learned that Matt Zimmerman engaged in inappropriate conduct with more than one woman at NBCU, which violated company policy. As a result he has been dismissed,” NBC News said in a statement.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/nbc-news-fires-talent-booker-harassment-claims-1202614666/
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/nbc-news-booker-sexual-harassment-fired-severance-1202617053/
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/inside-the-fall-of-todays-matt-lauer

Seems like Zimmerman and Lauer were the sex ringleaders in the NBC offices:

Two weeks ago, Matt Zimmerman, Lauer’s longtime booker on the Today show, was fired following accusations from multiple women. Zimmerman and Lauer were close and Lauer fought for Zimmerman to stay. According to multiple sources, Zimmerman pushed out some of the staffers who were male and more senior, replacing them with young women. Over time, he pursued more than one relationship with women on his team. He sent inappropriate text messages late at night, which were discovered in the HR probe.

Here is Zimmerman's article about his firing:

Matt Zimmerman, senior VP of booking, news and entertainment, had been with NBC News since at least 2004. He was promoted in 2014 to head a unit designed to handle guest bookings for “Today” and other NBC News programs. “We have recently learned that Matt Zimmerman engaged in inappropriate conduct with more than one woman at NBCU, which violated company policy. As a result he has been dismissed,” NBC News said in a statement.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/nbc-news-fires-talent-booker-harassment-claims-1202614666/
http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/nbc-news-booker-sexual-harassment-fired-severance-1202617053/
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2017/11/inside-the-fall-of-todays-matt-lauer

The problem is systemic.

This happened in my workplace this week. The owner still doesn't believe the woman but I put up quite a stink. He was let go for financial reasons.
Thank you CaraJay, this is not just limited to Hollywood and politics and in my opinion happens more often than reported in workplaces everywhere. If morals and respect for others does not curb this kind of manipulation and abuse perhaps the threat of losing your career and livelihood will make powerful people think twice before doing this. Employers do not own you.

In a recently unearthed video, Meredith Vieira calls out Matt Lauer for having a “huge bag of sex toys” in his office closet.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ers-office-closet_us_5a215cc6e4b03350e0b627c2

The clip is from a 2016 segment on “The Meredith Vieira Show” in which Lauer and “Today” show co-host Savannah Guthrie appeared. During the conversation, Vieira brings up a time where she was “snooping” in Lauer’s office and found a shopping bag of sex toys in his closet.

In a recently unearthed video, Meredith Vieira calls out Matt Lauer for having a “huge bag of sex toys” in his office closet.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entr...ers-office-closet_us_5a215cc6e4b03350e0b627c2

The clip is from a 2016 segment on “The Meredith Vieira Show” in which Lauer and “Today” show co-host Savannah Guthrie appeared. During the conversation, Vieira brings up a time where she was “snooping” in Lauer’s office and found a shopping bag of sex toys in his closet.

I think it's gross they talked about this on the show. Is there really nothing better to talk about? And by "they" I mean anyone who thought this was a good idea for a segment...and I guess the viewers who agree to watch it.

jmopinion

He tried to play this off with a weak explanation and you could tell neither woman bought it. He is a narcissistic worm <modsnip>

NBC News Will Not Pay Settlement to Matt Lauer

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/matt-lauer-nbc-news-sexual-harassment-settlement-1202628360/

He will not be getting any settlement money, according to two people familiar with the matter. NBC News declined to make executives available for comment. The former “Today” anchor was reportedly making anywhere from $20 million to $25 million a year. His most recent deal with NBC was signed in 2016 and was to have kept him on the network through at least 2018.

(snip)

During a Friday meeting of “NBC Nightly News” staff, an NBC News staffer asked NBC News President Noah Oppenheim about a potential settlement, according to one of the people familiar with the situation. Attendees were told Lauer was fired “for cause,” this person said. NBC is not paying him beyond his last day of work, according to this person.

I hate to say this, but I think the media keeps overlooking a key word in statements from the network: current leadership.

The network said in a Wednesday statement: &#8220;We can say unequivocally that, prior to Monday night, current NBC News management was never made aware of any complaints about Matt Lauer&#8217;s conduct.&#8221;

Below is this morning's statement from NBC News chairman Andrew Lack. Remember, he didn't take the helm of the network till 2015.

Who knew about it before 2015? Who ignored the complaints, and how many were there? (If any?)

Part of me wonders if it's deft legalese/deflection to duck perceived or actual culpability and avoid potential lawsuits.

rbbm

Dear Colleagues,

The most vital thing we&#8217;ve done since terminating Matt Lauer&#8217;s employment on Tuesday night has been spending time listening to your concerns, your feedback, your ideas on how we move forward as an organization.

As I said in my note on Wednesday: our highest priority is to create a workplace environment where everyone feels safe and protected, and to ensure that any actions that run counter to our core values are met with consequences, no matter who the offender.

Many of you have asked what we are doing to learn as much as we can about the circumstances around Matt Lauer's appalling behavior, why this was able to happen, and why it wasn&#8217;t reported sooner.

This week we saw that when an employee comes forward to report misconduct, the system works. The complaint is quickly assessed and meaningful action is taken. But we also learned that we must do a much better job of making people feel empowered to take that crucial first step of reporting bad behavior.

To that end, I have three things to share with you.

A team of the most experienced NBCUniversal Legal and Human Resources leaders have begun a thorough and timely review of what happened and what we can do to build a culture of greater transparency, openness and respect for each other. At the conclusion of the review we will share what we&#8217;ve learned, no matter how painful, and act on it.

Second &#8212; while our company has had mandatory online training for all employees on sexual harassment and other workplace issues, we need to do better. Therefore in addition to what is already in place, the News Division is launching an immediate effort to implement in-person training on sexual harassment awareness and appropriate behavior in the workplace. We will share more details on this effort very shortly.

And third &#8212; we need to keep communicating. In addition to the meetings we&#8217;ve had this week with various show teams and departments, we are encouraging the leaders of every group to have smaller, more informal gatherings to further discuss this crucial issue now and on an ongoing basis.

And, as we have done regularly over the last few months, but cannot do often enough, we want to remind you again that we encourage all employees to speak up and raise any concerns you have about inappropriate conduct you have experienced or observed. We also want to reinforce with our managers and leaders their responsibility to bring forward concerns about inappropriate workplace behavior they see or hear about. It is always the right thing to do, and any concerns raised should be done without fear of retaliation, and with full assurance that they will be investigated. ...

This has been a very tough week for all of us. Thank you again for your honest feedback. I&#8217;ll continue to share information and updates with you in the days and weeks ahead.
~Andy

If Ann Curry won't do it........

I'll take Tamron Hall.......I was shocked and saddened when she left.

Told ya he wouldn't get a dime more out of NBC. They had him 10 ways to Sunday with their proof of his sexual harassment of female employees. Lots of lawyers are employed and they are adept at writing iron-clad employment contracts that spell everything out.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PKBB
Back