MD - Bethesda, WhtMale 18-59, UP1886, w/ Iron Cross & WW1 memorabilia & Tactical Gear, found in a drainage pipe under a manhole cover, Apr '85

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

Aurora90

Reaction score
Date Body Found
April 30, 1985
Location Found
Bethesda, Maryland
Est. Age Range
18 - 59 Years

ME/C Case Number 142941-A

Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 60 Years

Estimated Age Range (Years) 18 - 59

Estimated Year of Death 1984-1985

Estimated PMI Months

Sex Male

Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Height 5'-6" - (66 - inches) Estimated

Weight 150 - lbs Estimated

Circumstances of Recovery

Subject found lying in a water system drainage pipe under a manhole cover in a wooded area near the Baltimore Washington Beltway.

Condition of Remains

Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Hair Color Brown

Head Hair Description Brown, medium long

"Clothing"

Camoflage bandana, black snap jacket, camoflage pants with blue cloth belt, blue nylon undershirt, blue cotton T-shirt, blue underpants

"Footwear"

Black cloth shoes

"Jewelry"

1 necklace cross with blue stones

2 rings: one silver with green stone, one silver with scroll design

"Accessories"

folding knife in carrying case, one wallet with one large coin

Date Body Found
April 30, 1985
Location Found
Bethesda, Maryland
Est. Age Range
18 - 59 Years

ME/C Case Number 142941-A

Estimated Age Group Adult - Pre 60 Years

Estimated Age Range (Years) 18 - 59

Estimated Year of Death 1984-1985

Estimated PMI Months

Sex Male

Race / Ethnicity White / Caucasian

Height 5'-6" - (66 - inches) Estimated

Weight 150 - lbs Estimated

Circumstances of Recovery

Subject found lying in a water system drainage pipe under a manhole cover in a wooded area near the Baltimore Washington Beltway.

Condition of Remains

Not recognizable - Decomposing/putrefaction

Hair Color Brown

Head Hair Description Brown, medium long

"Clothing"

Camoflage bandana, black snap jacket, camoflage pants with blue cloth belt, blue nylon undershirt, blue cotton T-shirt, blue underpants

"Footwear"

Black cloth shoes

"Jewelry"

1 necklace cross with blue stones

2 rings: one silver with green stone, one silver with scroll design

"Accessories"

folding knife in carrying case, one wallet with one large coin

This Doe had a LOT of jewellery. Crosses, semi precious stones, a beautiful crane in gold/yellow metal, and more. Not all the photography is very clear, but there are a lot of distinct and quirky pieces. There are at least two items that are police themed. No idea if they're legit; they look a bit cereal box to me.

Last edited:
I think this man was either doing some sort of underground job where he was a "bodyguard" or sorts... they way in which he was concealed was intentional. Plus all the gear seems like he was trying to project an image of strength.

He has this arm band - View attachment 534246
I found a similar item on Ebay titled "Vintage US Armed Forces Police Armband" here is the item

He was also wearing this badge as per Namus:
View attachment 534247

Found that exact item here it is a Rothco Security Badge
View attachment 534248

He was also found with this:
View attachment 534249

Found it on Etsy: Brass Art Nouveau French Casting Swan Pin

and he was found with much more...

I am still digging.
Well, he definitely wasn't a first world war veteran, and he had that medal, too.

His items make me think he was sleeping rough or camping out. Security guards don't tend to carry their own eating utensils, can opener, sewing thread, and toothbrush. I spot a thimble and a lice comb, too.

MOO

Well, he definitely wasn't a first world war veteran, and he had that medal, too.

His items make me think he was sleeping rough or camping out. Security guards don't tend to carry their own eating utensils, can opener, sewing thread, and toothbrush. I spot a thimble and a lice comb, too.

MOO
Agreed. I amended my post because I see that now, I was still going through the photos.. its all very strange.

Agreed. I amended my post because I see that now, I was still going through the photos.. its all very strange.
Homeless, but organised. I think he could have been a veteran. With that age range, I think it'd be Vietnam or Korea.

MOO

Some odd inscription IMO on the reverse of the apparent 1914-1918 WWI style pendant. Perhaps reading (per my no longer young eyes):

“Joe’s MCN. # 128 BooB S*CKS *U” (last word correctly spelled likely to be advertiser censored)

Also noting that the rear pin stud has been folded over. Perhaps so that it can be carried without impaling someone? It could not readily be worn with that modification. MOO

Attachments

• IMG_7605.png
    IMG_7605.png
    765.7 KB · Views: 5
Is there a name on this backbag or is it just the logo of the bag?

Original

Attachments

• 1727613733499.png
    1727613733499.png
    22.7 KB · Views: 0
Some odd inscription IMO on the reverse of the apparent 1914-1918 WWI style pendant. Perhaps reading (per my no longer young eyes):

“Joe’s MCN. # 128 BooB S*CKS *U” (last word correctly spelled likely to be advertiser censored)

Also noting that the rear pin stud has been folded over. Perhaps so that it can be carried without impaling someone? It could not readily be worn with that modification. MOO
Looks like it's German, if it's legit. It's a frontline service medal, so I assume it's pretty common.

Last edited:
Original
s-l1600.webp

If you look closely what was found with John Doe looks similar to his penny found on Ebay. It looks like the same logo/acronym. R&C "Roe & Co"

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Raquel222
Back