MD - Harford County, High School Student Shoots Another Student in School Bathroom 09/06/2024

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree, I am glad they acted quickly to arrest the father in this instance. The child who committed the crime is his responsibility.
Are you talking about the one in Georgia? In this instance, it just happened at 12:36pm, today. They had not even recovered the weapon as of the press conference.

Again.

Though, this seems targeted rather than mass shooting? Not that "targeted" is any comfort.

jmo
Yes. In my mind, one of the biggest concerns is that these kids, so often, keep getting the guns on campus without issue or incident, it seems.

I am glad my kids’ school has a clear backpack/clear lunchbox policy, but I really do not think anyone is immune from these sorts of tragedies. Though the backpacks are clear, and this is supposed to be a deterrent, nobody actually looks at/through my boys’ bags.

It could still be relatively easy, IMO, for a student to conceal a handgun or other weapon (e.g. weapon wrapped up in a hoodie or sweatshirt w/in the clear bag). All MOO.

If the parent had nothing to do with the child obtaining the gun, it would be improper to charge them. moo

I mean, I think it's a very, very rare case in which the parent would have "nothing to do with the child obtaining the gun." Like maybe if the child robbed a store or something or if the child was part of a gang. But most school shootings involve family guns. It's literally the parent's job to secure the weapons in the home. They should be criminally charged if their kids obtain the weapon. MOO

I mean, I think it's a very, very rare case in which the parent would have "nothing to do with the child obtaining the gun." Like maybe if the child robbed a store or something or if the child was part of a gang. But most school shootings involve family guns. It's literally the parent's job to secure the weapons in the home. They should be criminally charged if their kids obtain the weapon. MOO
Every state has their own laws regarding the degree to which one must secure a firearm with a minor in the home. In the case of the Georgia shooter, I completely support the father's prosecution. (Although, I do wonder why the FBI just took a 13 year-old's word for it that he didn't make the threatening posts.) Seems that there is plenty of blame to go around there.

If I were in the father's shoes, the guns would have already been secured in a gun safe as soon as my son was due, but that's just me. There are many who successfully and responsibly coexist with guns and minors in the same home.

Yes. In my mind, one of the biggest concerns is that these kids, so often, keep getting the guns on campus without issue or incident, it seems.

I am glad my kids’ school has a clear backpack/clear lunchbox policy, but I really do not think anyone is immune from these sorts of tragedies. Though the backpacks are clear, and this is supposed to be a deterrent, nobody actually looks at/through my boys’ bags.

It could still be relatively easy, IMO, for a student to conceal a handgun or other weapon (e.g. weapon wrapped up in a hoodie or sweatshirt w/in the clear bag). All MOO.
We play a guessing game on cross-country road trips. Is that complex up ahead a school or a prison? Seriously, you can't always tell the difference.

I'm sad that schools have become such draconian places and the entrances are unwelcoming. I UNDERSTAND THE NEED FOR SECURITY, just mourning the days when schools were considered nice places for our young people to spend their days. Hard not to feel punished and/or unprotected, even as a good kid, when you have to pass through metal detectors every morning.

Again, I know why metal detectors and security are there.

jmo

Gahler said current state law prohibits detectives from speaking with the accused gunman due to his age, although he's expected to be charged as an adult.

While stopping short of confirming whether the suspect had a prior juvenile record, Gahler said he is known to law enforcement.

Gahler said current state law prohibits detectives from speaking with the accused gunman due to his age, although he's expected to be charged as an adult.

While stopping short of confirming whether the suspect had a prior juvenile record, Gahler said he is known to law enforcement.
Pls note article here does state the victim has died. Previously, it had been reported he had been air lifted to a local hospital, iirc. This is the first report I have seen that he has passed away.

Maybe the child stole or "borrowed" it from someone he knew?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SueDoeNim
Back