Deceased/Not Found MD - Heather Grogg, 33, & Danielle Tyler, 18, Carroll Co, 6 Apr 2020 *arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
New article in Spirit of Jefferson newspaper. My summary: DS's defense attorney tried to argue that police don't know whether JR was killed in Maryland or in West Virginia so Jefferson County doesn't have the jurisdiction to charge him. The judge disagreed and turned the case over to the Circuit Court for a full trial.

New details:
  • JR was stabbed "at least" 11 times.
  • DS got the can of gasoline from the car and took it to JR's body.
  • The cars are recorded on video entering Jefferson County.
  • The cars are not recorded leaving Jefferson County.

Trial lawyer Jim Kratovil of Charles Town attempted to raise the point of legal uncertainty while defending David Ray Sanford Jr., 26, of Westminster against murder charges concerning Riddle’s drug-related murder.

Kratovil argued that the physical evidence police reportedly accumulated during the ongoing murder investigation — evidence backed up by statements from confidential witnesses—doesn’t prove that Riddle died along a rural stretch of Ward Clipp Road near Rippon as police maintain.

The detective said the investigation recovered a document from defendants in the case that was used by outlaw motorcycle clubs, and that the document gave the advice — “like a motorcycle club code” — not to travel on the same route to and from a crime they commit.

Site of death disputed in preliminary hearing

<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

Also @CuriousQuiet1 thanks so much for linking the article and adding the summary, I was able to read the article. I'm glad judge viki didnt dismiss the charges on DS like she did ERD. I'm glad the prosecutors are not taking any chances on the boys getting off with a technicality. I still would like to see some headway in charges regarding DS MM ERD involvment in the murders of HG and DT. I'm guessing they are seeing how things go with the first trial before bringing any charges, lucky that there is no statue of limitation on murder.

Lastly, id like to note that my thoughts were correct, the original fight with JR started because there was $40 worth of meth missing. Maybe thats why JR went to see HG? To "smoke" while the others were at the party..and when the others got back MM DS JB realized they may have smoked some of their meth ? I wonder why they didnt take their $40 of meth with them to the party?? Maybe DS sells meth & JR & HG took it from that stash but I didnt see any mention of LE finding meth at the scene...so that's kinda weird to me. I saw in an MSM article that they tried to make JR pay them 40$ so IF the missing meth existed (I say "if" because they could have easily lied trying to get $ out of JR-- or the reality could be that JR did use the meth- either way he didnt deserve a death sentence) so JR obviously didnt have the meth to be able to give back and he didnt have the 40$. MSM also said he tried calling his mom that night for the money but she didn't have it, its so sad.

One thing that has been bugging me about this whole situation is why didn't JR have 40$ to pay it before it escalated to a physical fight that lead to JRS murder? Its kind of odd that a 30+ year old married man, supporting his step kids, they had a vehicle and job but did not have 40$ or access to get $40 (from his wife, bank account, anything) , idk in a life or death situation like he was in why not just give up the 40$? Why didnt he call his wife to get it? He called his mom who said she didnt have it but didnt call his wife? Idk all questions to ponder, sadly we probably wont figure out the answers.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing that has been bugging me about this whole situation is why didn't JR have 40$ to pay it before it escalated to a physical fight that lead to JRS murder? Its kind of odd that a 30+ year old married man, supporting his step kids, they had a vehicle and job but did not have 40$ or access to get $40 (from his wife, bank account, anything) , idk in a life or death situation like he was in why not just give up the 40$? Why didnt he call his wife to get it? He called his mom who said she didnt have it but didnt call his wife? Idk all questions to ponder, sadly we probably wont figure out the answers.
RSBM
This is bothering me too. JR seems to have his life in order. But he can't walk across the street to Carroll Mart convenience or go a block to Victory Convenience and hit up an ATM when his life literally depends on it? He can call his mom in the wee hours of the night but no other family or friends?? What about Heather, his friend who babysits the drug dealers' kids who is in the room? Can she not vouch for him for $40?

so is ERD out of jail?
The charges against ERD in Jefferson County, WV, were dropped. As far as we know from MSM and LE ERD has no charges pending but it is telling that LE never said she was released. Clearly she could be an accessory to murder in Berkeley County for the deaths of DT and HG.

MOO Emily is still in jail somewhere and will be for a couple of decades.

The charges against ERD in Jefferson County, WV, were dropped. As far as we know from MSM and LE ERD has no charges pending but it is telling that LE never said she was released. Clearly she could be an accessory to murder in Berkeley County for the deaths of DT and HG.

MOO Emily is still in jail somewhere and will be for a couple of decades.
I assumed she was released. You have a take I hadn’t considered.

I assumed she was released. You have a take I hadn’t considered.
I could be wrong and Emily might be hanging out in her apartment in Wesminster, MD a free woman tonight. But the involvement of the FBI and the fact ERD was involved in covering up crimes between multiple states on multiple occasions... If I was a betting person I would bet Emily is in a jail someplace near the Pittsburgh FBI offices tonight and will be in jail/prison for a long time if she doesn't cooperate with LE. She can pin a lot on nearly everyone involved so LE must be putting her under some pressure to talk.

MOO.

I could be wrong and Emily might be hanging out in her apartment in Wesminster, MD a free woman tonight. But the involvement of the FBI and the fact ERD was involved in covering up crimes between multiple states on multiple occasions... If I was a betting person I would bet Emily is in a jail someplace near the Pittsburgh FBI offices tonight and will be in jail/prison for a long time if she doesn't cooperate with LE. She can pin a lot on nearly everyone involved so LE must be putting her under some pressure to talk.

MOO.

I saw a comment thread on FB between someone and HGs dad. In regards to ERdD charges dismissed. HGS dad said the charges were dropped but ERD was still in federal custody... not sure the specifics but they must have something pending.. you cannot legally hold a person in jail/detainment if the case they were holding them on was dismissed by a judge. I would have to look at the details to be sure. There are some scenarios in which this could be the case. Anyone in CC/-Westminster see ERD recently out and about!?

I saw a comment thread on FB between someone and HGs dad. In regards to ERdD charges dismissed. HGS dad said the charges were dropped but ERD was still in federal custody... not sure the specifics but they must have something pending.. you cannot legally hold a person in jail/detainment if the case they were holding them on was dismissed by a judge. I would have to look at the details to be sure. There are some scenarios in which this could be the case. Anyone in CC/-Westminster see ERD recently out and about!?
I searched for her and came up empty, so I'm going to say that rumor is not true - Inmate Locator
Not in custody here either - VINELink

I searched for her and came up empty, so I'm going to say that rumor is not true - Inmate Locator
Not in custody here either - VINELink
I think the Bureau of Prisons site will only show you convicted prisoners, not pre-trial. For instance it does not give results for Monroe Merrell.

VineLink only works in some states. If ERD is in federal custody I have no idea how that works. Are there federal jails or do they just use local jails? If she is being held in jail in Maryland or Pennsylvania (I am only guessing at PA because the Pittsburgh FBI is investigating) she would not show up on VINELink. Individual Maryland jails are searchable online. She was not in Carroll County Jail (the closest jail to her home in MD) last week when I checked. Individual jails in PA are not searchable online as far as I tell.

I think the Bureau of Prisons site will only show you convicted prisoners, not pre-trial. For instance it does not give results for Monroe Merrell.

VineLink only works in some states. If ERD is in federal custody I have no idea how that works. Are there federal jails or do they just use local jails? If she is being held in jail in Maryland or Pennsylvania (I am only guessing at PA because the Pittsburgh FBI is investigating) she would not show up on VINELink. Individual Maryland jails are searchable online. She was not in Carroll County Jail (the closest jail to her home in MD) last week when I checked. Individual jails in PA are not searchable online as far as I tell.
Federal detention centers are pretrial detention facilities within the Bureau of Prisons. As administrative security level facilities, they are capable of holding inmates in all security categories.
List of BOP Locations

MONROE MERRELL
Custody Record
Age 23
Gender Male
Race White
WV: West Virginia Division of Corrections and Rehabilitation
ID Number3652813
Custody Status In Custody
Custody Detail Tygart Valley Regional Jail and Correctional Facility

DAVID RAY SANFORD JR
Custody Record
Age26
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3652267
Custody Detail Potomac Highlands Regional Jail and Correctional Facility

JOHN WESTLEY BLACK
Custody Record
Age22
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3652374
Custody Detail Eastern Regional Jail and Corrections Facility

JEFFREY CRAIG SMITH
Custody Record
Age22
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3652945
Custody Detail North Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility

NORMAN AURTHER BRADFORD JR
Custody Record
Age49
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3468144
Custody StatusIn Custody

APRIL LYNN BRANER
Custody Record
Age37
GenderFemale
RaceWhite
ID Number3377504

MONROE MERRELL
Custody Record
Age 23
Gender Male
Race White
ID Number3652813
Custody Detail Tygart Valley Regional Jail and Correctional Facility

DAVID RAY SANFORD JR
Custody Record
Age26
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3652267
Custody Detail Potomac Highlands Regional Jail and Correctional Facility

JOHN WESTLEY BLACK
Custody Record
Age22
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3652374

JEFFREY CRAIG SMITH
Custody Record
Age22
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3652945
Custody Detail North Central Regional Jail and Correctional Facility

NORMAN AURTHER BRADFORD JR
Custody Record
Age49
GenderMale
RaceWhite
ID Number3468144
Custody StatusIn Custody

APRIL LYNN BRANER
Custody Record
Age37
GenderFemale
RaceWhite
ID Number3377504
VINELink is great in many states like West Virginia as you have shown here. I think we can agree Emily is not in jail in West Virginia. I still think based on what I have read in MSM that Emily is facing many charges in at least 3 counties in 2 states. Some charges are likely to be sealed for her own safety. She might be sleeping soundly in her own bed in Westminster, MD tonight. But I have a feeling she is not.

MOO

VINELink is great in many states like West Virginia as you have shown here. I think we can agree Emily is not in jail in West Virginia. I still think based on what I have read in MSM that Emily is facing many charges in at least 3 counties in 2 states. Some charges are likely to be sealed for her own safety. She might be sleeping soundly in her own bed in Westminster, MD tonight. But I have a feeling she is not.

MOO
I wasn't speaking to where ERD is sleeping these days, or if she is in custody. Merely noting where the various defendants are being held.

Locals, any unofficial word on the remains of HG & DT? Any searches going on?

I wasn't speaking to where ERD is sleeping these days, or if she is in custody. Merely noting where the various defendants are being held.

Locals, any unofficial word on the remains of HG & DT? Any searches going on?
And any locals in the vicinity of 300 E. Main Street in Westminster...Are there lights on?

<modsnip: Quoted post was modsnipped> I’m of the impression she’s been released, currently she has no pending charges in ANY county in MD/WV... so I would assume they can’t hold her, even federally... we have rights and I’m guessing ERD would probably not stay in custody on her own accord. She probably is staying elsewhere with her kids though... it irritates me to think ERD is out free... they need to charge her in Berkeley County , WV..ASAP !! Also regardless of ERDS current situation someone needs to take her children. They need to be somewhere safe with responsible adults to care for them .

jmo!

According to Maryland court records, they live at 301, apt. #11. That is Main Street Mews. (See pics I previously posted). If they are listed somewhere as living at 300, then that bldg is directly across the street from 301.

JMO

<modsnip>

IMO , neighbors had to have heard something. Also, IMO, the neighbors are probably quite used to lots of noise and stuff at night. That area is higher in crime and I imagine that the neighbors want to stay to themselves because they don't want to be victims or they might be part of the crime problem in that area.
All MOO.
Article about Merrell's probably cause hearing.
Officer’s testimony sheds light on alleged circumstances around Taneytown man’s death in West Virginia: $40 worth of drugs

"After hearing testimony from the investigating officer, Magistrate Judge Arthena Roper ruled probable cause was found and moved Merrell’s case to circuit court. Merrell has pleaded not guilty to all charges and is being held without bond.

Merrell appeared in court via video conference. He wore an orange shirt and had a shaved head. Merrell did not audibly comment during the preliminary hearing."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rustygirl1600
Back